Project Athena | Reviews

بواسطة Project_Athena

Are you looking for honest and constructive feedback on your writing? Look no further! Our team of reviewers... المزيد

AI Usage
Rules and Guidelines
Reviewer Profile-Emily (OPEN)
Reviewer Profile-Haize (OPEN)
Reviewer Profile-Roses (OPEN)
Reviewer Profile-Nadia (Closed For Catch Up)
Reviewer Profile - Moni (Closed For Catch Up)
Reviewer Profile-Emmanuel (Hiatus)
Reviewer Profile-Carmi (Hiatus)
The Stories of the Solar Eclipse (Haize)
Shadow of the Gryphon (Carmi)
Dreams of Wonderland (Carmi)
Shadowed Sun (Roses)
Love At Dawn (Carmi)
The Greatest Villain of All Time (Roses)
How To Get Away With Evil (Carmi)
Daracka (Roses)
The Mechanical Muse (Roses)
Ocean of Blossoms and Blues (Carmi)
Captured Feelings! (Carmi)
Mirrored Face (Nadia)
Child of Prophecy (Emmanuel)
The Two Sides of A Sword (Roses)
Moth Light (Nadia)
Along Came Charlie (Emmanuel)
The Gunner and The Florist (Roses)
Kyrah Wilson and The Prophecy of Queen Adela (Emmanuel)
The Shepherds (Nadia)
Avalon: The Six Keys of Destruction (Roses)
Thoughts of An Ordinary Person (Carmi)
Lost Eden ‖ Heavens Fall (Emmanuel)
Clap - The Sound of Death (Nadia)
The Mansion (Nadia)
Cosmic Fables: A Princess Odyssey(Carmi)
Rise of Azongaar (Roses)
A Midsummer Night's Dream(Nadia)
Astrid: Limbus Obscuria (Emmanuel)
Mosaicked Feelings (Carmi)
Feelstora (Emmanuel)
Monsters and Magic (Roses)
Regalia (Roses)
The Girl From Human World (Roses)
The Art of Remembering (Carmi)
A Mysterious School Trip(Nadia)
Shadowangel (Nadia)
Volume of Unvoiced Verses (Emmanuel)
Trouble In Not So Pretty Paradise (Roses)
Crooked Hearts (Nadia)
Haywire Ranger (Roses)
As The Moon Wished (Emmanuel)
Her Family (Emmanuel)
The Nephalem and The Last Elemental (Emmanuel)
Statuelike (Haize)
The Room Next Door (Haize)
Dungeon (Nadia)
They Who Slaughtered Hope (Emily)
The Elf Witch (Emily)
Nirvasan (Nadia)
We Give Unto Thee (Emily)
King Eden (Haize)
The God's Game (Emily)
The Edge of The World (Emily)
The Fenrir Saga (Roses)
SHS (Nadia)
Boy Meets Beast (Haize)
Cataract of Delusion (Nadia)
Storm Wars Lore (Haize)
They Came With Secrets (Nadia)

Fourteen Ways To Kill A Cicada (Roses)

45 8 1
بواسطة Project_Athena

Author: ftnrdake

Reviewer: Rain_dropsand_roses

Genre: Literary Fiction/Romance

Fourteen Ways of Looking at A Cicada is a story that follows Zheng Xiaofan as her entire life gets turned inside out when she goes to meet her new neighbor. To put it simply, the story revolves around the complex relationship between Zheng and Carmilla and explores deep personal themes.

First of all, I thoroughly enjoyed the interactions between the characters. However, at times, the story can be weighed down by drawn-out inner thoughts that wander off the actual content. But this is quickly remedied when the two characters start talking to one another. Zheng is a naive and overthinking character, always doubting, while Carmilla is more experienced and readily guides Zheng through their conversations. Both women are witty and playful with each other at times, and their chemistry is palpable even when they just stare at each other, lost in their own thoughts.

Carmilla is introduced perfectly, and from the moment Zheng sets eyes on her, we can tell that something is not quite right about her. The idea that she's a vampire is not overplayed. Apart from her bloodlust, which plays a big part in her attraction to Zheng, the story doesn't follow the typical tropes to be expected from stories with vampires in them. She has charisma, without it being forced, and even when she has moments of vulnerability, she still maintains a consistent personality and acts in a way that is expected from her.

Zheng is shown to us as an organized, detail-oriented, and meticulous woman, from the way she maintains her house to her general view of life. Despite being a housewife at such a young age, she's content with how her life turned out. However, all that changes when Carmilla walks into her life. Her world starts to fall apart the more she spends time with the vampire, but that only leaves her with Carmilla as her sole way out. She loses her marriage, control over her emotions, has constant blackouts, and honestly seems to start to lose her sanity too.

In terms of pacing, the story moves quickly, with no part of the story stagnating. However, it's difficult to keep track of time, but this is not a significant issue that detracts from enjoying the story. As a literary fiction story, reader retention is an issue that can be expected, especially for an average reader. However, I'm confident that anyone interested in this genre or anything that isn't generic romance will genuinely like this story.

Overall, I'd give Fourteen Ways of Looking at A Cicada a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

3.8K 1.3K 50
First Place: Poetry ~Writer's Book Awards Third Place: Poetry ~Rose Book Awards Best Story Quote: 1st Runner-Up ~House of Cards/Clubs Poetry, to me...
1.4K 146 11
Welcome to the prestigious realm of "Inkwell Laurels." Here, ink meets acclaim as writers from far and wide compete for the coveted laurels that ador...
81.2K 2.1K 31
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
8.8K 650 28
✨ Welcome back to The Happiness Awards of 2024! ✨ Here lies a cheerful contest for truly incredible stories by undiscovered writers! We are looking f...