The Shadow of Stars

By khalesi_7

Sprawled out on the ground covered head to toe in bright blue paint wasn't exactly how I envisioned the first... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen [part one]
Thirteen [part two]
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Eight
Thirty Six

Twenty One

1.1K 76 98
By khalesi_7

formal apologyyyyy I completely forgot to update yesterday after I promised an early release!!! 

but I fr did NOT expect ya'll to actually comment that much, it made my literal week. Obviously writing and keeping up w work and uni in the current world is a big challenge so I truly appreciate the interaction!

I don't get paid to write these books or receive anything other than the kind words and love shown in the comments and votes, which makes it all literally worth it! 

I did add an extra 1000 words to this chap to make up for my silliness

 lotssss of love

k

"You fucking prick!" Gabe yells, just as Henry moves into the room. Micah lets out a low growl and grabs Gabe by the collar, shoving him against the nearest wall.

"Micah," I slur and his attention snaps to me, a predatory glint burns in his eyes before he turns his attention onto Gabe.

"Athena stay there." There is nothing soft and sweet about his command, it is raw and powerful and filled with a silent promise to my friend who he has pinned on the wall. The promise of retribution for not just punching the next Alpha square in the jaw but for doing so in front of me.

I feel as if I might vomit again when Micah moves to pull Gabe back and likely drag him into the corridor to finish him off.

"Thea?" Henry rushes over to me, gently holding my arm to make me look at him but my attention is on Gabe. At Henry's arrival, Micah released him but remained standing in my path, making Gabe glare at him with so much fury its like his heart is on fire. "Who the fuck do you think you are? Henry, get Thea we are leaving." I had never heard Gabe speak so menacingly. He points a finger at Micah, a promise. "If you so much as think about bothering her again I will make you regret it."

Micah has to know who Gabe is by the scent I have worn many times. And Gabe knows Micah based on all I have told him, that he's some guy with a crush and the feelings not one hundred percent mutual. Micah tenses as Gabe moves towards me. "She is not going anywhere with you," he growls, stepping in his path.

"I will call the fucking pack police for this, you sick, twisted fuck. Henry," Gabe says firmer and Henry lifts me to stand next to him, moving us forward. "Gabe—" he starts but is cut off by Micah's menacing growl. Gabe is in front of me then, seizing the moment of Micah's fury to put me out of line from it.

"Have you got any idea who I am?"

"I know you're a guy that can't take a hint. She's not interested in you and I swear to god if you don't leave her alone," Gabe continues, unbothered and I should speak up, put an end to it but I can't. It's like I am shell shocked.

"I'm the next Alpha of this pack and if you don't take your hands off my mate, I'll make sure you regret it," he seethes, red hot anger rolling off him in waves.

I pull back from Gabe, removing his touch from me that I didn't even notice was there to see his sudden shift in features. He wasn't just shocked, he looked like he'd been shot and when he turned to me all I saw was pain. But the pure agony slowly shifted into his stony features of rage. "I don't care if you're the king of the world," he admits. "Touch her again, bother her anymore, and we are going to have an issue."

"Woah woah, what's going on here?" Benny comes into the picture out of nowhere, James also with him. It's like they sensed it, or maybe Micah mind linked them to join in on beating the crap out of Gabe. I don't know. My mind feels so fuzzy it's hard to make heads or tails of anything.

Fuck, this, this isn't good. "Micah these are my friends," I slur, stumbling more into Henry's hold but it only make Micah's anger intensify.

"Henry lets go." Gabe isn't backing down and I don't know if that makes me respect him or if it makes him stupid.

"Hey pal, I think you should show a little more respect," James tells Gabe, dead serious. Him and Ben were both completely sober, whatever amount of alcohol they had wiped clean just like that.

I curl into Henry at the tone, the brewing hostility settling into my already turbulent stomach with a churning velocity. Henry, my best friend in the whole wide world. "What the hell happened to her?" He seethes, glaring at Micah as his arms wrap solidly around me in such a protective move it makes Micah return the glare. I feel Henry's hand move to my vomit, juice covered hair and he pulls it over my neck, his muscles relaxing only slightly. "I get a call from my friend who barely ever drinks, completely wasted, to find her half naked in your bed. What the fuck did you do?" He clarifies once more and Benny steps next to Micah, putting a hand on his friends shoulder. I can't tell if it is to comfort him or stop him from ripping Henry's head off.

"What are you insinuating? That I would hurt my mate? Are you fucking out of your mind?!" Micah yells.

"That's exactly what we are saying. Athena is coming home with us, there isn't a way in hell she is staying here like this with you," Gabe says and Micah does shift forward then, pulled back by his best friend.

"I would never hurt my mate. You on the other hand—"

"He didn't!" I interrupt as Micah pushes against Ben's hold, making everyone's attention turn to me as I grip tighter onto Henry's shirt. "I was dancing and then I had juice and then I vomitted," I slur, trying not to think too hard about that vomit.

Gabe stares at me, panic in his gaze as he looks back to Micah who I am certain wants him dead. "Look, whatever night you all had Athena is coming back with us. I am taking her home," he says and I think about how my parents would react seeing me like this. But I trust Henry, he wouldn't take me there.

"No you aren't, she is fine to stay here, with me."

"Athena is comi—" Micah pulls from Benny too fast for him to be stopped and pins Gabe against the wall before he can even finish his statement.

"Don't speak her name," he seethes, pushing him harder into the wall. "My mate is staying here. If you don't get the fuck out of my house I will—"

"Stop!" I yell, pushing from Henry to grab Micahs arm, drawing him from Gabe. "Please daunt hurt him!"

The second Micah's hand is near me, he pushes me behind him, wrapping his hand around my midsection like a vice grip. Every muscle in his body is tensed as he sits ready, ready to stop anyone who would dare try to take me from his arms.

"James, Ben. Show these two the way out."

My hands push against his solid hold but his grip tightens, making me shake my head. "Nooo!" I declare, feeling like I am going to cry. "Henry is gonna stay and have a sleepover. Did you bring the popcorn?" I ask my friend as James moves closer to him.

Micah stills behind me. "They are leaving Athena and you are going to go to bed."

"I don't wanna be alone, Henry don't go. Please don't take Henry. They can stay, we can all have a sleepover."

James puts a firm hand on Henry's shoulder and I actually start to sob then, tears leaving my eyes as my body shakes with the weight of my sadness. "Henry don't go. Don't."

At the sight of my tears, albeit drunken, Henry pushes forward, resisting James' hold. "Just let me take her home. I already told her parents I was coming to get her so if you don't let her come back with me now it will be them that return. They know what state she is in. Do you really want to make your mates family drive two hours to come get her like this?"

Fuck. My parents know. I'm dead. I'm so dead.

Micah's hand relaxed around me but I don't move from his hold. "What do you mean they know?" He asks and Henry doesn't even flinch.

"Athena called me and left everyone a bunch of messages. I was already on my way when her parents found out which is why they are not here right now. Let me take her home, she will get there safe. You have my word."

Silence fills the room and I don't dare open my mouth, my mind blurring. "Fine." Micah finally says. "Ben can you go find Athena's phone and get her bags. We will meet you at the car." Ben nods and leaves the room, James still stood waiting for an order.

"We are going for a trip?" I ask Micah, turning to him and his eyes swirl with emotion. "I don't wanna go outside, I'm cold." I tell him and he looks down at my bare legs and then to Henry and Gabe.

"Where are you parked?" He asks them, with full authority.

"Just at end of the driveway, near the fountain," Henry admits, running a hand down his face.

"James will show you out and I will bring Athena there in a moment."

"Five minutes," he replies and then they leave the room, the door closing with a soft thud.

I pull away from Micah, stretching before letting out a yawn. "It was nice to see them," I conclude before I walk over to the bed, pulling the cover up.

Micah jogs towards me and stops me before I can slide in. "No sleep right now, Thea. You can rest in the car," he tells me, pulling me to sit on a chair. He rummages in small suitcase and pulls a large pair of grey sweats out along with an oversized jumper.

He stops for a moment on the floor, crouched next to his bag and a heavy, frustrated sigh heaves from his body. It takes him only a second to stand back up and move towards me with purpose.

"Put these on, I'm going to get you something that will help with your recovery from this. I'll be a minute. Athena don't leave this room." His last request holds complete certainty, so much so that even in my current state I manage a nod and know I'll stick with it.

I slide out of the shorts I wear and pull the thick, comfortable pants over my legs. I smell so much like him and it is making my brain go haywire. My whole body tingles and I know its not the wolfsbane, not when the feeling creeps through my body and settles in my heart like a heavy weight.

The wolfsbane has just peeled back a truth that sober me is too scared to admit. That I do want to be held in Micahs arms, right now, all I want is to lay under the plush duvet and sleep beside my mate. The fear that I felt at his altercation with Gabe should make me want to run, and in any other circumstance it probably would but whatever primal urge within me from this bond makes it the complete opposite.

All I want to do in response to the overwhelming surges of emption is seek comfort in Micah's hold, hide behind those scarily big muscles and wait out the storm. The door creeks open again and Micah returns with a glass of cloudy white water, the perspiration dripping down the sides like tears.

"Here, it's a herbal tonic. You won't feel like death tomorrow if you drink this." He stands in front of where I sit and holds the glass towards me, a damp cloth in his hands.

Once he hand positioned the edge of the cup to my mouth my hands greedily snatch it up and I down the contents. His shoulders relax and he kneels, taking a handful of my hair before moving the damp cloth through it.

He's cleaning my hair. "Athena..." he begins, stopping himself as he mindlessly cleans any remnants of my horrible night away. But he doesn't continue, he doesn't know what to say.

And neither do I, so I sit silently until he places the cloth on the night stand before he gently cups the side of my face with his warm palm. I instinctively lean my face into the warmth and the action alone makes my eyes droop. "I will come see you tomorrow," he decides before sighing again, shaking his head. "Or maybe I'll call Henry and just check on you, or you can call me."

Conflict rages in his worn expression before he breathes heavily again. "I don't know. I don't know." Before I can register it, he leans his head against mine, the act so innocent but intimate at the same time.

He doesn't move to kiss me or do anything of that nature despite the urge I feel to crash my own lips upon his. He just closes his eyes and lets his chest rise and fall in a steady motion. "Henry will let me know when you are home safe," he says, more to himself at this point.

So many more words edge on the tip of his tongue, threatening to spill. I can see it in the hard crevices that line his features but he doesn't allow them too. Instead he stands, taking my hands in his to pull me up with him.

The sweat pants hanging loosely on my hips threaten to slip but he grabs the edges quickly, lifting them up before tying a tight knot together at the top. He picks up his an oversized variety sweater and slides it over my head, prompting me to lift my arms like a small child.

Once every inch of me is covered and wrapped warmly in his soft cotton, he gently takes ahold of my hand. "It's time to go," he says and I move my feet to meet his. "I'm sorry it ended like this Thea, I didn't know you were going to drink. I hope your parents aren't too mad and if you need me at all, just call and I'll come."

I'm not sure bringing Micah in as backup to my parents is going to help my case at all. But the offer strikes a chord in my heart. Because he surely knows that, knows he'd be facing certain retribution but he'd do it anyway.

The fog and haze covering my mind begins to lessen but at a pace slower than our stride. Well, his stride and my attempt to drag along. "I was just having fun," I mumble and he huffs a small laugh, pulling me a little closer into his side.

"I know. I think maybe you had a bit too much fun with your phone."

"I wanted Henry to come and dance," I tell him, glancing to see his jaw set tightly before be looks at me with soft eyes, stopping us. His lips purse as he looks down to me and I notice we are at the door, so close to the driveway where my friends await.

"Athena, I need... I need you to tell me who that guy is." I feel my body seize up. I can't tell him, what if he imprisons Gabe for punching him in the face? He'd surely face pack punishment.

"He's my friend," I mummer, looking down at my shoes. Micah's hands rest under my chin and he pulls me to face him.

His golden brown eyes swirl with emotion and they feel like lasers. It's akin to staring down an alien with super psychosis powers in the latest space game Henry and I have been playing. But worse, and real.

"I just need a name," he says softly but his words hold purpose. I think back to our agreement, to the term on my authority over friendships.

Anyone deemed dangerous under pack law I can't associate with. I shouldn't have said he was my friend, but would calling him a stranger be any better? There's a fine line now drawn between protecting him and not going against the agreement that I signed, that I helped create.

"I—" I gulp thickly as my head clears even more. Whatever was in that potion works literal magic. In many ways, I wish I was still lucid. Gabe was a criminal in his past pack, he'd admitted as much to me. He engaged in a variety of petty crimes that under pack law give him a record and though he didn't do anything to endanger others, I doubt Micah is going to care for the nuance. He was just punched in the face. "I don't know."

I lie right through my teeth and he flinches at it, hurt flickering over his face before he sets his jaw firmly. "Athena." I wring my hands together tightly at the solidity of his stare, at his scolding. "You know his name. I need you to tell me, just a first name, that's all I need."

My bottom lip begins to tremble and I shake my head, making his hand drop into a clenched fist. "No, you are going to get him in trouble. He didn't mean to hit you." A stupid excuse. He meant to hit him, meant it with every bone in his body—it didn't take an idiot to figure that out.

And given his reaction to discovering Micah being my mate, I don't think his actions would be much different with the knowledge of who he is. Maybe just a little more prepared. He breathes deeply. "I'm not letting you get in that car until you give me a name, Athena. He's violent. I need you to understand how much of a struggle it is for me to even consider letting my mate within reach of a person like that."

I keep shaking my head, unable to form a quick response. "He's not violent." Another dumb, dumb response.

"Athena I will drive you back to your parents myself, I don't care. I'm going to find out who he is one way or another so I'm giving you the opportunity to tell me, to be honest. Who. Is. He?" He spells out, his tone shifting and I lower my eyes again.

"You have to promise me you aren't going to hurt him. It's a misunderstanding, don't involve the pack, please," I beg and his clenched jaw only tightens as I stare to meet his burning gaze once more. "I'll tell you his name, I will. Just please let me sort this out."

He is silent for a moment before his gaze lifts above my shoulders, his tense body relaxing slightly. "Fine."

"Gabe," I mummer. "Gabriel."

He returns his attention to me, forcing himself to relax. "Phone and belongings secured." The voice of Benny breaks me from our conversation and I twist to see him approach with my bag and phone. God knows how he found it.

"Thanks," Micah says, taking them and Benny flashes me a reassuring smile.

"Cheer up, Mennison, we've all had our fair share of a bit too much wolfsbane." His joke doesn't bring me even an inch of joy and it makes him look to Micah with a raised brow, a silent conversation exisiting in the simple glance.

"I think she's learned her lesson," Micah responds for me, taking my hand in his before I can object. I want to yank it away, especially considering we are about to go and see Gabe and Henry but I gather that's the exact reason he grips me so tightly. A claim, a warning and a clear message to anyone observing.

He is my mate. There's no more secret keeping about that fact now.

"Alright, well I am going to try track down my own mate who never seems to learn her lesson with wolfsbane," he replies with a laugh and it makes the small beginnings of a smile appear of Micah's morose features.

"I'll find you after," Micah says and they nod.

"Bye Athena," Benny says to me with a respectful dip of his head before leaving. Micah opens the front door immediately and brings us outside.

I spot the red convertible immediately, Gabe and Henry stood next to it with James leaning on the bonnet casually, his arms folded. They are all tense and though they don't speak to one another as we approach I can tell a few words were exchanged by the hard look on James' usually goofy face.

He meets us first, walking to Micah to lean in and whisper something in his ear to which his hand on mine tenses. "Thanks," he says to his friend who spares me one final glance before leaving.

Micah hands the luggage to Henry who takes it immediately but holds his free hand out to me. It wasn't common for Henry to hold a look of pure death on his face but when he did, I swore with a bit go magic he'd actually be able to put people six feet under.

"I want you to text me when you return her home safely." Micah doesn't let go of my hand as he orders Henry in front of us. Gabe, wisely, had already slid into the drivers seat and started the engine.

"I will."

Micahs grip on me tightens slightly before he releases my hand, allowing me to instantly move towards Henry's protective arms. As much as I know Micah would never intentionally hurt me, there will never be a time where his hold feels safer than Henry's. Because I know, no matter what, Henry would do all her could to protect me, all of me—including my dreams and desires.

"She's going to want to sleep soon, I gave her some medication to help with the alcohol. Do you have anything for her to sleep on?" Micah asks again, like he'd sprint back in the house and bring out a pillow fort for me if it meant comfort.

"She can sleep in the back, I brought pillows and a sleeping bag. She'll be fine with me." Henry is entirely curt and it makes Micah clench his jaw.

Because Henry said the unspoken in his words, that I wasn't fine with him. That my state was evidence of his incompetence despite the fact that Henry and I have gotten drunk together before. It's a dig and it lands.

"Just make sure you text me, you have my number." I don't want to know how Henry has Micah's details. Micah's hands flex at his side, like he is retraining himself from reaching out as he stares at me. "I'll see you later."

My eye lids feel as lethargic as my hand as I raise it in a wave. Henry makes sure I get into the back seat of the car which has been transformed into a makeshift bed and effectively tucks me in like I am a three year old child before the car sets off in a smooth rumble out of the drive and I fall into a deep sleep.

I wake up the next morning in a room a don't recognise, still clad in Micahs clothes that hang from my body with exhaustion muddling my entire brain. I don't feel sick and my head doesn't pound, probably thanks to that tonic I took last night... but last night.

Oh god.

I pull myself from the bed, rubbing my eyes before leaving the room groggily. The smell of pancakes and bacon fills the halls and it makes my empty stomach grumble. I recognise the place I am in immediately, Gabe's apartment.

I drag myself down the hallway, following the scent to find Henry and Gabe occupying the kitchen, both of them looking at me immediately as I enter. I rub my eyes and try not to wince to obviously.

"Hey," I say, shame flooding through me. This is the most embarrassing thing ever.

"Thea," Henry jumps up from his seat and walks right up to me, pulling me into a huge bear hug. Once he has nearly squeezed me to death, he pulls back, looking at me with pure concern. "How are you feeling? We thought you might want some carbs."

"I..." I take a step away from him and groan into my hands before moving to the seat, slumping down. "I'm actually fine, which is maybe worse. Micah gave me some sort of medicine."

Even at mention of him, the two of them stiffen.

"Athena... last night was..." Henry tries to take a soft approach but I shake my head.

"Bad, I know. God I know." I let out a heavy sigh. I can't bring myself to face Gabe. "I wish I didn't remember it."

"Have you texted Micah?" Henry asks and I shake my head. "He seemed pretty adamant on you contacting him once you woke up."

I sigh, looking around for my phone and Gabe opens a draw, pulling it out to pass it to me. "I figured it would be best to keep it in case you decided to text your patents where you are."

The relief that enters my body feels like cool water. "Thank you." But didn't they know? I crease my brows as Henry places a hand on my shoulder.

"They have no idea about what went down. I lied." To Micah. To the next Alpha of the packs. All to get me here.

"What?" I ask and his eyes soften.

"I had to get you out of there, Thea you were drunk out of your mind and he had you in his room. On his bed—" His throat begins to crack and it shatters me. "I wasn't just going to leave you there like that. Did... did anything..." he can't even say it.

Gabe turns the burner off, sliding the plate of pancakes to the side to focus on the conversation intently. "Athena if something happened before we got there that you weren't okay with you can tell us," he says sternly and the mere suggestion makes my body cease up, it makes me want to be sick despite having no illness in my body. "You were very drunk and honestly even if you did consent, a drunk yes is a no—"

"Nothing happened," I say firmly, giving Henry a solid stare. "I promise. I spilled some juice and vomitted everywhere and he gave me a change of clothes. He didn't make any move of that nature, it really wasn't like that."

I see Henry's chest deflate and that certain worry remove from his eyes. "Good," he says, like it's all he can come up with.

"He's really your mate?" Gabe says, his brows knitting when I don't answer, a silent yes. "Athena I..."

I hate the tone he uses. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I—I didn't know how."

He shakes his head. "It's not your fault Athena, I get it. Trust me, I get it. But you have to promise me you'll stay as far away from him as you can, Athena he is bad news." he says solidly. "They all are."

I try to ignore the way his words rub against me like sandpaper. "I'm trying," I mummer. "It's not so simple."

It's a fact, yet still, he stares with full conviction. "Athena I mean it, you have to promise me they... they can't be trusted. Wolves, they, they don't stop. Your whole life..."

"Is over, I know." I feel tears well in my eyes again and Henry rubs my arm in comfort, glaring at Gabe.

"Not helpful right now," he mummers. "We don't know that, not all wolves are the same," he says to me softly.

"Yes I do and yes they are," Gabe replies.

"What makes you so certain?" Henry asks, his debating tone activated. I appreciate him trying to diminish Gabe's argument to make me feel better. Henry would do anything to make me feel better.

Gabe stares directly at me before his eyes drop in shame. "Because my father is one." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

885K 19.8K 38
I was being given away to alpha's of another pack i look up to see who i was being given to. As soon as i look up at them ,they growl and grab me 'MA...
1.7M 47.2K 46
"I set a alarm for a twelve o'clock so I could be the first one tell you happy birthday... happy birthday." I'm seventeen now. I turned the complete...
1.9K 3 22
"What's wrong with you," Clifford was shouting at me. "I will never have a fat and ugly mate like you. You are the last person I would want to be my...
1K 59 50
I was just a normal teen having a good summer before school but then me and ace had to move to are dads and go to a new school mom told us she had th...