The Runaway • 𝑇𝑜𝑚𝑚𝑦 𝑆ℎ�...

נכתב על ידי rubberdaisy

✧༄ Charlotte knew that right now, she was dancing in the very pits of hell with the devil himself. She knew t... עוד

The Runaway
Cast
Playlist
Act I
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
Act II
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21

17

589 28 6
נכתב על ידי rubberdaisy

The Runaway
Chapter
17

season 1
                 episode 4
Part 2

♡︎

     "He's obviously not stupid. All we found was stolen tobacco and whiskey." Campbell says to Grace as he arrives inside the museum.

     "Which you left in place."

     "Of course. I would never endanger you." Campbell assures her. Grace goes to walk and he follows after her.

     "You're doing well, Grace." He tells her as he reaches for her arm, walking alongside her.

     "I've been working through Charlotte and on Arthur. He's easier."

     "Than Thomas."

     "Yes." She confirms.

     "Less intelligent."

     Grace glances at him. "Yes."

     "Is that a word you would use about Thomas?" Campbell questions her.

     "It's your word." Grace tells him as she moves her arm away from his, stopping in front of a statute. "He has promoted me. He wants Charlotte and I to be his bookkeeper and secretary"

     Campbell scoffs turning to face her. "A cutthroat gangster with a secretary. The pretensions of these hoodlums are quite breathtaking. Are they not?"

     Grace doesn't even turn to face him as she replies while walking to another display. "Yes. Quite breathtaking."

     "It seems he's starting to fall quite heavily for you."

     "I think Charlotte is still the center of his affections." Grace regretfully admits. "But she's gotten me closer to him through her. Have you found any information on her I can use?" Grace asked as guilt churned in her stomach.

     "I got the basic files on her and her family last week. I am waiting on some new information from an outside source that should be here in a few days. Someone who was close with her family after the war, before she arrived here. They should have more information I can give you." Campbell nods assuringly. "After that it should be easy to separate this woman from Thomas, or to use her for our advantage."

     Grace nods at him, saying nothing else. Campbell senses her possible hesitation.

     "You need not worry, this woman is just a means to the end of our mission. A minor obstacle."

     "She's a good person. She's helped me in my time here." Grace tells him firmly. It was true. Charlotte had been nothing but kind and genuine towards Grace, helping her in a town that was anything but kind towards women. Even if Charlotte was a means to an end, someone Grace was using her for her mission, she had grown to see Charlotte as a true friend and hated using her this way.

     "Yes," Campbell nods slowly, not understanding her sympathy for this American woman who was close with their enemy. "I just hope you remember who else you are dealing with here. A man who cuts off ears and cuts out tongues."

     "I know what he is, sir."

     "The difficulty with undercover work, Grace, is to remember what you are."

     "I come here with good news and I get this." Grace snaps before walking to leave.

     "Grace." Campbell calls after her but she pays him no mind as she leaves the museum.

*

     Tommy sets his glass of whiskey on the bar-top. "Get another glass." He tells Charlotte who works behind the bar.

     Tommy opens the bottle of whiskey pouring some into his glass. Charlotte sets an identical one next to it that he moves to fill next. He grabs his glass raising it in the air, she does the same.

     "Can you make a toast?"

     "I'm Irish, American and French. I can make a million toast." Tommy nods at her.

"May we never go to hell but always be on our way."

     Tommy tilts his head as they clink their glasses together, each taking a drink after.

     "What are we celebrating?"

     Tommy unfolds a paper from his pocket. "A contract of employment." He sets it on the bar in between them.

     "Bookkeeper. Shelby Brothers Limited." Charlotte says with praise.

     "I don't like that word, 'limited.'" Tommy says as he turns to lean against the bar, placing a cigarette in between his lips.

     "To be respectable, you have to be limited." Charlotte reminds him.

     "Yeah," Tommy turns back to grab his matches, "that's what worries me." Charlotte smiles at his words.

     "Grace had the phone put in," she tells him. "It's in the back." She gestures towards the back as Tommy turns to face her.

     "If we knew someone else who had a phone, we could call them." Tommy jokes slightly as he sparks his match.

     "Well, since we're celebrating," Charlotte pauses to lean over and grab a bottle of Champagne. "I had this delivered from Rackhams department store." She sets the bottle on the bar as Tommy glances from her to the bottle before picking it up to look at.

     "Will you open it?" Tommy looks at her again.

     "No." He sets it in front of her. "Save it, for a special occasion." Charlotte nods as Tommy gets another paper out of his pocket.

     "Right, your first job for the company." Tommy points at the paper, "I want you to get that to my sister."

     "You still haven't seen her?" Charlotte asked surprised. The last she heard about Ada was that her and Freddie were in London and got back a few days ago.

     "No one does, she's hiding from me." Tommy sighs. "I am told she goes to a bathhouse on Montague Street. On women only days. She goes in disguise so I need to get someone inside."

     "What am I delivering?" She asked, slightly suspicious.

     "It's an invitation to a family occasion. I want her there, so tell her there will be a truce."

     "A truce? Really?" Charlotte couldn't stop herself from looking at him hopefully. She had been worried for her friend. Ada was nearing nine months and would be having her baby soon. It would be best if she wasn't traveling and could be around family who could help once the baby came.

     "Yes, Lottie really." Tommy nods at her. "Get it to her."

     Charlotte nods at him. Tommy goes to grab his coat, gesturing towards the bottle of champagne on the counter. "Put that in a cupboard until I say."

     Charlotte watches him leave before grabbing the invitation and moving the bottle of champagne to one of the cupboard shelves. Hopeful for the new business, and for Ada and Tommy's relationship to be repaired.

*

     Charlotte went to the bathhouse the next morning, finding Ada easily despite her disguise. Her swollen belly had given her away.

     They embrace each other happily, Charlotte was glad to see her friend was alright given the circumstances. After they catch up a bit, she gives her the invitation from Tommy, telling her his words about the truce. Ada doesn't believe it, thinking it was some trap to get her away from Freddie but Charlotte reassured her. She would never agree to setting her or Freddie up like that, and Tommy knows that. Charlotte firmly believed that Tommy was telling the truth.

     Ada agrees after seeing how sure Charlotte was of her brothers word. It was a devotion she had never seen before. A belief in someone like her brother from someone like Charlotte was truly shocking, but made her hopeful of the man her brother could become, was becoming.

     After leaving the bathhouse, Charlotte returns home and has tea with Scarlett. But tea is never just tea without a woman's chat.

     "Tommy arranged for John to marry a Lee girl?" Charlotte asks baffled.

     Scarlett gives her a nod, sipping her tea. "Yep, and the poor bastard doesn't even know."

     Charlotte sat a moment taking in Scarletts words. It amazed her the lengths Tommy would go. Going as far as setting up his brother in an arranged marriage without his knowledge, all to stop a feud with the Lee family. But didn't John already have someone he wanted to marry?

     "What about Lizzie? I thought John and her were supposed to get married?"

     "Ah, so," Scarlett sets her tea down so she could explain. "Arthur told me that Tommy told John that Tommy found out Lizzie wasn't being faithful. Still seeing a few regulars despite being engaged."

     Charlotte sits surprised and confused after hearing that. The situation didn't confuse her so much as the thought of how exactly did Tommy find out that Lizzie wasn't being faithful to John? As her mind raced with possibilities, causing her body temperature to spike. She decides it's best to not dwell on.

     "So John's getting married then?"

     "Yeah and even better, we're invited!" Scarlett laughs, "the whole family will be there to see John blow a casket, isn't that great?"

     Charlotte nods unsurely, "Do you think John will go through with it though? Even if it means there will be a truce with the Lee's?"

     "Oh I'm sure Tommy has thought of something to make John comply, but who knows." Scarlett shrugs before giving her a mischievous smile. "I just hope we get to see John freak out, even just a little."

     Charlotte shakes her head amusedly at Scarlett. Her and John really were like brother and sister.

*

     The day of the wedding comes and everyone in the Davis household gets ready for it. Scarlett wears a blue dress that matched the bright blue color of her eyes with a pair of white heels. Celeste goes for a long dress in her classic color of navy blue, the color always complimenting her well. Even JP puts on a nice dress shirt and pants that his mother had gotten for him a few years prior, though he was growing quickly and would need new ones soon.

     Charlotte wears a lavender dress that she brought with her from America. It was one of her favorites and complimented her green eyes, making them pop. Scarlett does her hair, pinning half of it back, twisting the pieces on each side and bringing them to meet at the back of her head. She then places small flowers all along her hair, bringing the whole look together.

     After they're all ready, the Davis' family, along with Charlotte, Polly and Finn all make their way to the wedding together, meeting Ada along the way. The women all walk side by side with their arms linked as Finn and JP walk proudly in front of them.

     The wedding ceremony has just started when they arrive. John and his bride kneeling in front of Johnny Dogs. Scarlett grumbles disappointedly from Charlottes side, upset at not seeing John's initial reaction to his abrupt wedding.

     The Davis women and Charlotte all stand near the back where they arrived from, as Polly and Ada make their way next to Tommy. JP and Finn run off with the other Lee children, not being seen as they sneak to the bottles of alcohol that are laid out for the reception. Polly leaves Ada by Tommy's side as she moves past them.

     Tommy glances at Ada as she arrives at his side, eyes moving to look behind her towards Charlotte who smiles on at the ceremony. His eyes take her in a moment before they move back to Ada.

     "You look well." Ada just glances at him.

     "..Which is sanctioned and honored by the presence and the power of these two families around us." Johnny Dogs says as John's bride, Esme, lifts the veil off her face. John and her smile at each other before he looks back towards Tommy in appreciation.

     "Do you, John Michael Shelby, take Esmé Martha Lee to be your beautiful wife?"

     "You got my invitation." Tommy says to Ada.

     "Charlie said there's a truce."

     Tommy nods, looking back towards Charlotte before facing the bride and groom again. "Family day." Ada shakes her head trying to fight a smile, glancing at him.

     "Your husband couldn't make it?"

     "He's not speaking to me. And when he does he calls me a fucking Shelby. Even though I'm a Thorne now." Ada tells him.

     Tommy's lips raise slightly into an amused smile. "Thorne in my side that's for sure."

     Ada smiles slightly while shaking her head, turning to look at him. "My God, Tommy. You admire him, don't you?" Tommy glances at her, saying nothing.

     "There remains one more part of the ceremony. That's the mingling of the two bloods." Johnny Dogs explains as he drags a knife across John and Esmé's palms. "Where the two families become the one family." John and Esmé then link their bleeding hands together. "I now pronounce you man and wife!"

     Everyone starts cheering and clapping. "Come on, John, kiss the bride, will ya?" Johnny Dogs tells him.

     The reception starts shortly after and carries on into the night. Festive folk music is played as everyone cheers and dances around the happily married bride and groom. Shouts and cheers echo all around as people dance and play drinking games, in which Arthur wins just about all of them. Guns are fired and fireworks pop off, lighting up the sky as everyone enjoys the party. Soaking up the excitement.

     Charlotte dances around with Scarlett and Ada, enjoying drinks and laughter. This was the most fun she's had in a while. She loses herself in the music as she dances, not taking any notice of all the eyes on her. The firelight shines on her hair, the gold strands shining as they flow around her. A permanent smile on her face, showcasing her dimples.

     Charlotte stops dancing after a while, out of breath and in desperate need of a drink. Her and Scarlett both decide to take a break, trying to have Ada come and sit down with them but she refuses, full of pent up energy she had been wanting to get out. They leave her reluctantly, heading towards the table where Celeste sat chatting with one of the Lee women and Arthur stood talking to Lovelock.

     They stop at the table and Arthur's arm automatically goes around Scarlett's shoulders. Scarlett leans into him as she takes a look around and can't help but notice how many of the Lee brothers were shamelessly staring at Charlotte. Charlotte gulps her drink, working up a thirst after dancing so much.

     "Looks like the Lee brothers have got their eyes on you, Charlie." Scarlett tells her. Charlotte moves her cup from her face and looks at her confused. "Better watch out," Scarlett says before taking a drink, eyes looking at her from over her glass. "Otherwise you'll be the next one to join the Lee family." She giggles after.

     Charlotte doesn't get the joke, completely oblivious to the fact that the Lee brothers we're watching her. Perhaps she shouldn't have had that second cup of whatever drink Johnny Dogs had passed around earlier. It had made her mind fuzzy.

     "Ah, I wouldn't worry about it love," Arthur says to Scarlett, pulling her closer to him as she continues giggling. "Tommy wouldn't let that happen."

     Charlotte feels a slight blush spread across her cheeks. Scarlett giggles even more. She doesn't know what to say, not wanting to focus on his words too much and have them go straight to her buzzed head. Before she can think of something to say, Arthur is dragging Scarlett back out to dance, leaving Charlotte at the table.

     Meanwhile, Tommy sits with the Lee matriarch, smoking a cigarette while staring down all of the Lee brothers who so much as glance in Charlottes direction. Zilpha Lee smokes her own cigarette while watching him and can't help but laugh.

     "That girl is quite something, isn't she?" Zilpha Lee had taken notice of her sons interest in the Shelby family friend. It was hard to not be entranced by her with the bright smile she wore and the light that shined around her as she danced so freely. Like she was one of them.

     "That she is." Tommy agrees as he takes a drag and his eyes move to Charlotte.

     Charlotte had felt so comfortable and free at the wedding that she didn't take in anything going on around her. But now that she took a moment to take in her surroundings she now noticed how the Lee brothers were in fact looking at her.

     She quickly diverts her eyes from them and instead looks towards Tommy's table where she finds his eyes are already set on her. As their eyes meet it's as if the party around them fades away.

     All this dancing had reminded her of the races. Not the ripped dress and Kimber's wandering hands but of before all that. When it was her and Tommy on the dance floor, holding each other close as the smiles grew on their faces. It brought a smile to her face just thinking about it.

     Tommy gives her a small smile back, the same thoughts running through his own head. Their dance at the races. The comfort and joy they both felt in each others embrace. It left him longing to hold her like that again.

     Charlotte and Tommy's eyes leave each other as they hear Ada's joyful and slightly drunken laugh as she spins around dancing, asking Arthur to spin her around again. Charlotte watches her worriedly.

     Scarlett had gone to speak with John and his new bride leaving Arthur, who tries to calm her down, suggesting they go have a sit down but it was useless. Ada had been cooped up for too long and was not going to give her new found freedom up that easily. Charlotte leaves the table and goes to make her way to Ada, hoping to convince her to come sit down.

     Polly makes her way over to where Tommy is sat. "You should tell Ada to slow down." She says as she picks up her glass of wine from the table.

     Tommy huffs in disbelief. "You think she'll listen to me?"

     "I tried stopping her, but she's been drinking. She's been stuck in that little basement for weeks. What do you expect? She's going off like a firecracker." Polly raises her glass but brings it down before the liquid can touch her lips as she see's Ada spin. "Oh Christ, Tommy, please."

     "Come here. Enough now, enough. Ada. " Arthur tries to tell her as Tommy makes his way out of his seat and towards them.

     Charlotte lightly grabs one of Ada's hands in her own, stopping her spinning. Her other hand reaches out to her shoulder to steady her.  "Ada, let's have a rest." She tells her gently. Ada takes a moment to look at her dizzily.

     "Ada, come on, have a rest. Sit down." Tommy comes over, putting his hand out to the same shoulder where Charlotte's hand was. Ada pulls away from them both quickly before Tommy can touch her.

     "Come and look, Esmé!" Ada says loudly. Other guest start to look over as Scarlett stops her conversation with John. He stands and guides Esmé off his lap as they look over. "Come and look at the family you've joined! Come and look at the man who runs it!" Tommy keeps trying to reach for Ada but she pushes and slaps his hands away from her.

     "He chooses his brothers wives for them!" She continues pushing him as his hands come up in surrender. "Hey. Ada!" Tommy says in a hushed voice as she rants.

     "He hunts his own sister down like a rat, and he tries to kill his own brother-in-law!" Tommy tries to shush her and Ada keeps pushing him away, voice getting louder as she carries on. Charlotte and Polly make their way to either side of her.

     "Ada, that's enough." Arthur says firmly.

     "And now he won't even let me have a fucking dance! Not even at a fucking wedding." Ada slaps at Tommy again and again. 

     "Ada, hush now." Polly tells her.

     "Ada, you need to calm down." Charlotte says firmly and anxiously while rubbing her hand down her back, trying to calm her. This wasn't good for her or the baby.

     "Sit her down." John tells them, not enjoying the family drama at his own wedding.

     Ada stops as she pants. "Calm down, Ada. Ada, calm down." Polly says as she and Charlotte both support Ada's arms as she leans over as if in pain. They then see liquid falling in between her legs.

     "Holy shit. Water. Right." Polly says realizing. Polly looks towards Tommy as Charlotte grips Ada's hand in her own.

     "Not now, Ada. Bloody hell, you do pick your times." Arthur says incredulously.

     Excited chatter continues all around them as the Shelby family make their way to the cars. Tommy steps behind Charlotte, supporting Ada from behind with a hand on her back.

     "Come on lads." Tommy calls to the other blinders.

     "Charlie!" Scarlett calls from behind them. Charlotte quickly turns her head towards her. "You should go with them. Mom and I will stay behind and get the boys. They're off running wild somewhere with the Lee's." Scarlett tells her, everything from earlier shocking her sober. Finn and JP were no where to be seen and they all couldn't fit in the cars.

     "Alright, I'll see you at home." Charlotte calls to her over her shoulder as Tommy gently places his other hand on her back, ushering her along.

     Charlotte gets into the car with Ada, Polly and Tommy who drives them back. Ada grips her hand the whole ride as her and Polly instruct her to breathe deeply. They arrive in the front of number six Watery Lane quickly and start to make their way inside. Polly helps Ada in the house as Tommy stands outside smoking a cigarette. Charlotte rushes over to the Davis' to get some supplies and Tommy watches her go, slightly impressed that she was able to run in three inch heels.

     As Tommy smokes his cigarette and Charlotte gets supplies, another car approaches, stalling a bit before it stops somewhat abruptly next to the Shelby family car.

     "Slow her up. Nice and easy." Arthur tells John after the not so smooth ride there.

     "Story of your fucking life, Arthur." John says back to him.

     "Right, we're here." Arthur says as he gets out. John turns off the car as Arthur holds out a hand for Esmé. "Come on."

     "Nice car, John. How's she run?" Tommy turns to them and asks as Charlotte closes the door of number twelve, quickly locking it and making her way to them.

     John shuts the car door. "Yeah beautiful. Really smooth."

     "Your sister is in there giving birth, you're talking about the bloody car." Polly says from outside the doorway as she ushers Esmé inside.

     "Not much us men can do now, Pol." Tommy tells her.

     "Except go get drunk." Arthur says excitedly.

     "Right, Come on." Tommy tells his brothers as they turn to walk away.

     "There's one man who should be here." Polly says from the doorway as Charlotte arrives next to her. Tommy turns to face them while smoking his cigarette and looks at Charlotte, their eyes meet for a moment. She listens, hopeful of his answer, would he give Freddie a chance?

     Tommy nods agreeing, "you're right, Pol. Freddie should be here."

     Polly looks from Charlotte to him shocked. "Is that a heartbeat I hear inside that chest?" She can't help but ask him.

     "The truce lasts till sunrise. On my oath. Tell Freddie it's safe." Tommy promises.

     Charlotte gives him a beaming smile that makes his heart race, before her and Polly turn to go inside, telling Ada the good news. "Ada!"

     Tommy turns away after a moment, the image of Charlotte's smile imprinted in his mind. He turns to face his brothers. "Right boys, let's wet this baby's head."

     Inside number six Watery Lane, Polly, Esmé and Charlotte all assist Ada with her birth. Ada pants and groans in pain as sweat drips off her body. Charlotte grips one of her hands tightly while wiping her forehead with a cold wet rag.

     "Keep going. That's right. Push." Polly tells her. Ada screams out, but something wasn't right.

     Charlotte moves her hand to feel along the bottom of Ada's stomach.

     "I think the baby's the wrong way around." Polly looks at her curious as Ada screams. Esmé feels around Ada's belly, "I think she's right, I can feel it too. I attended three sisters." Polly then feels around Ada's stomach.

     "Yeah, you're right."

     "We should lean her forward." Charlotte tells them. "Come on, Ada." Polly says as they all help her move forward to her knees. Ada gasps in pain.

     "Come on. It's not long to go now, darling." Polly tells her. Esmé gathers her hair off her neck as Charlotte rubs a hand up and down her back, soothing her. "You can do this, Ada. Push." Charlotte tells her and Ada screams.

     "Push, two, three."

     "To beautiful women." Arthur toasts as he and John down their drinks. John slams his glass back on the table.

     "I should go." John slurs, placing his toothpick back in his mouth. "I should go. It's my wedding night."

     "No, no. You sit down." Arthur tells him as Grace smiles at them. She sets a bucket of beer on the table, pulling them each a glass. "You don't want to be among women when there's a baby coming. Have another." Arthur pours them each another glass of whiskey.

     "You think her husband will take the same advice and stay away?" Grace asks them, using their drunken states as a way to get easy information. She sets a cup of beer in front of Arthur before picking up John's empty glass.

     "Freddie will be there. Nothing will keep him away. And Tommy said it's alright for him to be there. Isn't that right, Tommy?" John slurs out as Tommy comes back into the snug, appearing behind Grace. She jumps slightly, not expecting him to be there.

     "That's right." Tommy says as he goes to sit down. Grace quickly makes her way out of the snug. "I'm all heart tonight."

     John and Arthur laugh. "You know what, John boy?" Arthur laughs, wrapping an arm around Johns shoulders as his other hand raises his glass towards Tommy. "I think it's our lovely Charlie, our beautiful Charlie back home with our Ada, that's made our brother go all soft."

     Tommy leans back in his chair, smoking a cigarette as he smiles at his brothers words. He scoffs trying to brush it off, but can't help the smile that continues to grow back on his face.

     "Drinks to that." John agrees. Tommy points to them with his cigarette after taking a drag, laughing after. They continue celebrating, laughing and drinking the night away as they await the new addition to their family.

     Freddie arrives at number six Watery Lane, calling Ada's name while banging on the door. The women sit inside, smiling happily as Ada holds her beautiful baby boy in her arms. Charlotte hears a banging on the door and goes to check it.

     "There you go, love." Polly sets a cup of tea on the table next to her. She kneels down in front of them as the baby cries slightly. "Aw, he's beautiful."

     Charlotte opens the door letting Freddie in happily. He nods gratefully at her as he walks in. "Where are they?" He asks her eagerly.

     "Right through there." Charlotte tells him with a happy smile. Freddie rushes to the doorway with Charlotte behind him, taking in his wife and newborn son. Polly moves out of the way as Freddie steps into the room.

     "It's a boy, Freddie." Freddie's hands come together in front of his face in disbelief. He grabs a nearby chair to sit in front of them.

     "It's a beautiful baby boy." He tells her. Ada smiles as she hands him to Freddie. "There you go." Freddie says once he's settled in his arms. Tears are in his eyes as he looks at him. "Welcome to the world, son. Welcome."

     Polly and Charlotte stand near one another as Esmé stands in the doorway, taking in the beautiful new family. It doesn't last long though as a pounding comes from the door not a moment later.

     "Open up! Police!"

     "Freddie.." Ada trails off worriedly.

     "Here, take him." Freddie gently hands the baby back to Ada.

     "You can't come in here, there's a baby just been born-" Esmé tries to say as the police slam the door open, rushing in and pushing her aside roughly.

     "Freddie." Ada calls his name again.

     "There's a baby." Polly tells the police as they come in.

     The police grab Freddie roughly. "Don't do this-"

     "Don't hurt him. Freddie." Ada cries out as the police start dragging him away. Charlotte comes to her side as Polly holds her back from interfering. The police were ruthless, baby or not. Freddie gets slammed into the door as they pin his arms behind him.

     "You're hurting him, leave him alone!" Ada calls out to them.

     Freddie resist against them as they try to pull him out of the doorway. "You're taking me away from my baby! Ada!"

     "Freddie!" Ada is in hysterics now. Freddie is dragged away and all they can do is watch him go, not being able to do anything to stop it. Ada sobs, her and the baby's cries filling the air. Moments later, Celeste and Scarlett arrive in the room with Finn and JP, in shock and disbelief.

     "What the bloody hell just happened?" Celeste questions incredulously. They arrived back from the wedding with the boys mere minutes ago and saw police taking Freddie away outside. No one answers her question, still processing all that had happened, until Polly's voice cuts through.

     "That fuckin' liar." Polly snarls angrily as Ada weeps, holding her crying son to her chest. Esmé tries to console her as Charlotte stands and turns towards Polly after hearing her words.

     "Polly," Charlotte calls her name, seeing the fury that blazes behind her eyes. She knew what she was thinking but she wasn't right, she couldn't be. Before she can say anymore Polly is rushing out towards the door. "Polly!"

     Charlotte quickly follows her as Scarlett and Celeste watch them go with wide eyes.

     "Polly wait!" Charlotte reaches for her arm, trying to stop her but Polly rips her arm out of her reach. "Polly please, it wasn't him!"

     "What would you know Charlie?" Polly spits at her as she glances in her direction, body still moving hurriedly towards The Garrison. "You don't know anything about him, the kind of man he is."

     "I know he wouldn't do this!" Charlotte pleads with her. She couldn't tell her how she knew but she did.

     "I thought you would be smarter than to fall for his charm, Charlie. Tommy is a liar and a bloody bastard!" Polly turns to snap at her. "It was like Ada said at the wedding, he arranges secret marriages, hunts his own sister down, and now he's gotten his best friend arrested nearly ripping his own child out of his arms." She turns to face forward again. "He doesn't care about anyone but himself, not even you."

     Charlotte stumbles as she hears Polly's words. That can't be true can it? Tommy had been kind to her, in his own way, since she arrived in Birmingham. She had seen how much he cared about his family, how much he fought for them. Tommy may go to great lengths for what he wants but he wouldn't do this. Not this.

     Polly rushes towards The Garrison doors as it comes into view. Charlotte quickly runs after her.

     "Polly, please, wait!" Charlotte yells as she chases after her.

     Tommy sits as the bar, drinking a whiskey and smoking a cigarette as his brothers sit in the snug singing. They were the last ones in the pub besides Grace who stood behind the bar, wiping it down and cleaning glasses from earlier in the night. She slowly makes her way down the bar to where Tommy is.

     "Should I open that bottle of champagne Charlotte got?" She asks him with a smile, Tommy sighs as the doors to The Garrison slam open.

     Tommy looks over and see's Polly, not yet noticing a worried and apprehensive Charlotte who comes in behind her moments later. Charlottes eyes glance wearily between them both.

     "Polly-" She starts to say.

     "It's a boy." Tommy smiles at Polly as she tells him the news before she rushes towards him angrily. "Pol? Polly? Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!" Tommy exclaims surprised as she starts hitting him.

     "Polly, stop!" Charlotte calls out catching the attention of John and Arthur in the snug. They come out after hearing the commotion and go to pull Polly away from Tommy.

     "Polly! Polly!" Arthur calls to her.

     "But the police came and took his father away." Polly says fiercely. Tommy's face drops in shock and disbelief. "Don't you dare look at me like that!" Tommy shakes his head, Polly shakes Arthur and John's arms off of her.

     Polly then spits at his feet. "You liar!"

     She turns to leave as Tommy stands shocked, not understanding what just happened. Polly passes by Charlotte, eyes glaring at her as she gives her a pleading look. Grace watches quietly from behind the bar.

     John and Arthur leave shortly after, stumbling home, not saying a word to Tommy before they go. Charlotte watches them leave before slowly making her way to the bar where Tommy stands.

     Tommy pays no mind as his brothers leave, his mind racing at Polly's accusation and Freddie's sudden arrest.

     "Grace, leave."

     Grace looks reluctant to leave till Charlotte reaches the bar, nodding to her in confirmation. Grace nods back, gathering her things before leaving them alone, pushing down the guilt from her unknown involvement in Freddie's arrest.

     Tommy's hands grip the bar as he sighs before grabbing his drink and downing it.

     "Tommy," Charlotte starts to say.

     "Why're you still here?" Tommy asks coldly before she can say anything else. Charlotte looks at him as he avoids her eyes and pulls out a cigarette, placing it between his lips.

     "Because I know you didn't turn in Freddie Thorne." She tells him. Tommy turns his head to her, surprised. Their eyes meet and Tommy can see the honesty that shines in them, the belief in him, that he wasn't the one who turned Freddie in.

     He looks away after a moment and goes to light his cigarette. He takes a drag before exhaling, and after a moment of consideration, offering it to her. He knew she probably wouldn't take it, but after the night they each had with her helping deliver a baby and him being falsely blamed for turning in his brother-in-law, he thought they both could use it.

     Charlotte looks at the cigarette, thinking of the temptation of it. The need for the relief it'll bring her. It was a sweet stick of death offered by the devil himself, and she was more than willing to partake in whatever he had to offer.

     Her fingers slide to take the cigarette from his own, their fingers brushing as she takes it from him. Tommy watches her take a drag, thinking about how out of everyone in his family and close relations, she was the only one who believed him. She had followed Polly all the way here to try to convince her that he didn't turn in Freddie. She stuck by his side and trusted him when no one else had.

     She had no reason to. He had given her no reason to. Especially after what happened with Kimber a few weeks ago at the races, but still, she stayed and believed him. And that meant more to him than he could ever express.

     They sat in silence for a while, sharing the cigarette, Tommy having another drink to finish the night. Afterwards, they stand to leave, locking The Garrison doors as they go. Tommy walks her to the door of number twelve Watery Lane, leaving her with a nod. Charlotte almost asked if he would be alright as he goes but thought better of it.

     As she walks inside, she see's Scarlett sitting in one of the chairs by the fireplace smoking a cigarette. Charlotte lightly shuts the door behind her.

     "Are Celeste and JP asleep?"

     "JP, yeah. Mom went to talk with Polly, she'll probably be back a bit later." Charlotte glances at the clock above the fireplace, it was a little after three in the morning now. She hadn't realized how long her and Tommy had spent at The Garrison. It must have been close to an hour.

     Charlotte nods. "Ada and the baby?"

     Scarlett scoffs. "Polly convinced her to stay at the house tonight, but I have a feeling she'll be gone before the sun rises." Scarlett puts out her cigarette in the ashtray. "You've been with Tommy?" She asks her. Charlotte nods at her slightly in confirmation.

     "Polly said you don't believe he turned Freddie in. It caused quite a stir when she came back without you."

     "He didn't do it Scarlett." Charlotte shakes her head at her, "I know he didn't."

     "But how do you know, Charlie? How do you know Tommy's not the one who shopped Freddie Thorne?" Scarlett didn't understand her belief in this man who hadn't done anything worth believing in.

     Charlotte sighs. She didn't know how to explain it, she just knew it wasn't him. "I know someone turned him in, but I know it wasn't Tommy."

     Scarlett huffs. "Right. Charlie, did you ever think Tommy is not the man you think he is? You see the good in everyone, but Tommy doesn't have much good in him. Hasn't since he came back from the war."

     "I know that he cares about his family, more than anything." Charlotte says firmly. "He wouldn't ruin Ada's chance of happiness on the same night she gave birth to her baby. Tommy may be a lot of things, but he isn't cruel."

     Scarlett just looks at her a moment. Taking in her words and strong expression. She wasn't backing down from this. She truly believed that Tommy didn't do it, and perhaps she was right. But all Scarlett could feel was her built up anger.

     "Cares about his family?" Scarlett scoffs, nodding sarcastically, "right."

     "He does Scarlett, everything he does is for his family." She had seen it. The way he fought for them. He let Freddie come back into town for Ada, he bought The Garrison for Arthur to raise his spirits, and regardless of the way he went about it, he got John a wife and mother for his children.

     "Everything Tommy does is for him and him alone. He almost got JP and Finn blown up!" Scarlett snaps angrily.

     "That was the Lee's!" Charlotte argues back. "They were targeting him."

     "Yeah but my son and his younger brother were the ones caught in the cross fire!" Scarlett spits at her before shaking her head. "Why am I even bothering, you're obviously too infatuated with Tommy to hear reason."

"Scarlett, it's not like that." Charlotte shakes her head at her words.

"I think it is. You've been wrapped up in everything involving Tommy since you got here. You're too blind to see what's right in front of you." Scarlett accuses.

"It's not like that at all, Scarlett! I just believe he didn't do it!" Charlotte pleads with her as Scarlett shakes her head at her words.

     Maybe she was blind to the man Tommy really was, but during her time in Small Heath she had gotten to know a side of Tommy that others hadn't. "You've known Tommy since you were young, before the war. Do you really think he would do something like that to his family? To his sister?"

"I think Tommy would do anything to get what he wants." Scarlett says firmly as she stands. "And if you can't see that then your a bigger fool than any of us for believing him." Scarlett stalks off angrily towards the stairs.

"Scarlett," Charlotte calls to her but it was no use. Scarlett angrily leaves the living room and heads up the stairs, leaving behind a defeated Charlotte.

Scarlett then stops suddenly in the middle of the stairs. "A letter came for you today. Something from America. I left it on your dresser."

Charlotte listens to her words slightly confused. A letter from America? She doesn't get a chance to respond as Scarlett continues her way up the stairs. Charlotte hears her bedroom door shut, much lighter than Scarlett would have liked due to JP being asleep. Perhaps it ran in the family, the slamming of doors when upset or angry.

     Charlotte stands a few moments more in the living room by the fire, contemplating the events from the night. She didn't understand how so much could happen in one day.

     John was newly married, Ada had her baby, Freddie was arrested, Tommy was accused of turning him in, and now her and Scarlett had fought. All in one day. Not to mention the random letter from America. At the end of it all, Charlotte felt defeated, confused and tired. She quickly grabbed a glass of water, chugging it down before filling it again and heading upstairs to her room.

She walks in, seeing the letter on her dresser, deciding to get changed first before opening it. She sets her water down and changes quickly, heels coming off first. She starts pulling the flowers out of her hair and takes the pins out that held it back. She hangs up her dress before making her way to her dresser to take off her jewelry.

     Afterwards, she picks up the letter inspecting it. It was definitely from America, the 'U.S. Air Mail' stamp pressed darkly into the envelope. She wonders if her grandmother had written her. She thought that after her abrupt departure from America she would never want to speak to her again.

Charlotte opens the letter, pulling it out, preparing herself for whatever harsh and cruel words her grandmother had written. 'A perfect way to end the day,' she thought bitterly.

     But her breath catches suddenly in her throat as her eyes take in the words on the paper. Her hands start to shake and the letter falls to the floor as her breath quickens. She quickly realizes this was not a letter from her grandmother. The words stare up at her as she looks down at them, eyes wide and terrified.

The words on the paper sent a chill up her spine, her breath coming out in pants as one of her hands moves to her chest. Feeling the beating of her heart hammering like a drum against her chest.

No, no. This can't be happening.

But as the words on the letter repeat in her head, the four simple words that send tremors of terror throughout her body. She knew she could live in denial no longer.

The letter wasn't signed but that didn't matter. She knew who had written it.

It was the same person who haunted her during the day and in her dreams. The person who flashed through her mind as Kimber forced himself on her at the races. The one who was the reason blood stained her hands and fear overtook her body. The one who caused bile to rise in the back of her throat as past memories she had long repressed flashed through her mind. The one who was the reason she had run from America in the first place.

     I finally found you.

The words seared into her brain, a never ending taunt that she wasn't safe here, and she never had been. A reminder of the reality of why she was here in the first place. Of what she was running from. But none of that mattered now as those words sent her into a state of panic. Her breath coming out shorter and shorter as she slides down to the floor, trying to stop the shaking of her body by hugging her arms around herself.

     The ghost who haunted her daily, the one who made her a murderer, the one she had ran away from had finally found her. And as Charlotte stared down at the words of the letter she knew there was no use hiding now. He had found her, and now that he knew where she was, he would stop at nothing to get her back.

♡︎

And that's it for episode 4!

I may edit the ending a bit later but I wanted to get this out asap so it'll do for now.

What're your thoughts on this chapter? We're you expecting that ending? This is where things start to get interesting so prepare yourselves!

I hope you enjoyed these chapters and please don't forget to vote and comment, let me know what you think! I'd love to hear your opinions and feedback is greatly appreciated!! :)

Also!!!
I can't believe how many reads this story has, over 6k!! That is so amazing and I'm so thankful for all of you lovely readers!! Thank you so much for reading and sticking with the story, I hope you're excited for what's to come!! <3

*

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

574K 19.3K 56
After an unexplainable accident Annabelle finds herself hundred years in the past. In the boom of the 1920s, the era of Jazz and bootleggers. But it'...
69.8K 2K 33
--------------------- ᴵᴺ ᵂᴴᴵᶜᴴ ᴵˢᵃᵇᵉˡˡᵃ ˢʰᵉˡᵇʸ ˡᵉᵃʳⁿᵉˢ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵃʳᵈ ʷᵃʸ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ˢʰᵉ ᶜᵃⁿ ᵒⁿˡʸ ʳᵉˡʸ ᵒⁿ ʰᵉʳˢᵉˡᶠ...
375K 6K 31
This story is about the youngest member of the Shelby family, Vive. Together with her brothers she grows up under the smoke of Small Heath. Surrounde...
135K 10.1K 68
"I do bad things. But you already know that." ~ Thomas Shelby A tragic misunderstanding. A murder. A secret. An unlikely partnership. When the disapp...