No Solace (The Flames of Retr...

De inkysparrow

***Amby Awards Top Pick for Young Adult 2023*** ***Featured on Stories Undiscovered for September 2023*** ***... Mai multe

A list of the Aptitudes and what they do
A History of the War and the Cataclysm
The Nations of the Earth after the Cataclysm
Chapter One -Saint Atrize's Festival
Chapter 1.5 - Emily
Chapter Two - The Church of St. Perron Renaud
Chapter Three - The Lastender Estates
Chapter Four - Father's advice
Chapter Five - The Night Market
Chapter Six - In the Imperial Dungeon
Chapter Seven - Pirates
Chapter Eight -The Beltritian Port and the Doctor
Chapter Nine - Dr. Larimar
Chapter Ten - Meeting the Tavla
Chapter Eleven - The Deal
Chapter Twelve - The Dance
Chapter Thirteen - In the Arena
Chapter Fourteen - A heart in the abyss
Chapter Fifteen - The distances between belief and truth
Chapter Sixteen- The Best Laid Plans
Chapter Seventeen -The Oracle Matenli
Chapter Eighteen - Departure
Chapter Nineteen - On the way to Janesport
Chapter Twenty - Stratagem
Chapter Twenty-One - A sea of serpents
Chapter Twenty-Two - Revelations
Chapter Twenty-three - Mistakes were made
Chapter Twenty-four - Another Fine Mess
Chapter Twenty-Five - Onward to Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-six -The Port of Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Kohl Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Eight- The Magic Tower
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Schemes in the Embassy
Chapter Thirty - A Ball to End All Balls
Chapter Thirty-One - Chevral Deming
Chapter Thirty-Two- The Lies We Keep
Chapter Thirty-Three - A Childhood Crush
Chapter Thirty-Four - An Unsavory Invitation
Chapter Thirty-Five - An Awkward Carriage Ride
Chapter Thirty-Six - An Uncomfortable Dinner
Chapter Thirty-Seven - The Seeds of Change and Rebellion
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Mata Hari doesn't live here.
Chapter Forty - New Opportunities
Chapter Forty-One - Bitter Tea
Chapter Forty-Two - The Flames of Retribution

Chapter Thirty-Eight - Confessions

25 3 2
De inkysparrow

As Governor Path stood there in front of me, I was shocked at how thin he'd become. He was not the jovial man I knew the year before, having aged at least ten years in that short time. I stood nervously in front of him, wanting to ask him straight out what he was doing there, but knowing that would be foolish.

Taking a deep breath, I pasted on a benevolent smile and bowed before the man. "Hello, sir. We are seeking Frances Partridge."

Sorrow hooded Jatron's lids at the mention of my father and he shook his head. "I am sorry, but France Partridge no longer lives in this place. I was his friend, however. Might I ask why you sought for him?"

My hand twisted in my robe as I lied to the man who was like my second father. "I come bearing some gifts from a friend. Gladys Brightgarden."

He opened the door wider. "Come in Father, and you as well, Sister."

The great room was adorned with opulent decorations, a stark contrast to the modest upbringing I had experienced. The dining table, where Father liked to visit with his friend, was still there, however. I wanted to fall down before his favorite chair and weep, but I kept it together. My eyes traveled across the scarred surface of the table, spying the flower I'd naughtily carved into it as a child and one of the tears I'd struggled to keep within me leaked out. I rubbed my eyes as though the dusty air from outside was the cause of it.

Jatron motioned to the table, and my steps faltered as I walked towards it and sat down.

"So what is this about Gladys? I had no idea she'd prepared a will."

"She did not. There was a technight in Aluraparine who was quite close that wished to bequeath gifts in her name."

He nodded at that, not seeming to be interested in the reasons.

My curiosity got the better of me, and I finally asked, "Are you ill, sir?"

Jatron's eyes flickered with a mix of surprise and resignation. He sighed heavily and ran a hand through his thinning hair. "Yes, I am ill," he admitted, his voice filled with weariness. "It's been a difficult year, and my health has suffered as a result."

My heart sank at his words. I had always seen Jatron as a strong and resilient man, and to see him in such a weakened state was disheartening.

"I'm sorry to hear that, sir," I said, my voice filled with genuine concern. "I will pray to Faluel for his healing grace. Then, I presented a small bag of jewels I'd planned to use for bribery and gave them to him.

Jatron smiled weakly, his eyes filled with gratitude as he pushed them back to me. "Thank you, Father. Your concern means a lot to me. I'm afraid jewels cannot heal a broken heart, but I accept your prayers."

As Jatron expressed his gratitude, I suffered under a weight of guilt. I knew that the jewels were merely a distraction, a way to divert his attention from the truth. But I couldn't bring myself to tell him the real reason for my visit. Not yet.

However, I was burning with curiosity as to why he was living in my house. So I asked him.

"Ah... well... Frances and I were the best of friends in school, and while he was alive and in hard times, he would never let me help him-" Jatron broke off as emotion overtook him. He let out a shaky breath, then pulled out a graying handkerchief to wipe his eyes. "When his daughter was murdered... I tried to keep him from himself. But, alas."

I swallowed the grief down, and nodded briskly. "My condolences, sir. Would you mind terribly telling me your name?"

"It's Jatron Path."

"I heard that is the name of the governor of Sanfelton."

"No longer. I resigned when Frances died. I couldn't bear it, the unfairness of it all."

"I'm sorry...so the reason you are living in Frances' house is out of a sense of guilt?"

He blinked. "No... I loved him dearly. This is the only way that I can feel like he's still with me."

As I listened to Jatron's words, a surge of sadness washed over me. I could understand his desire to hold onto the memory of Papa, to feel close to him in any way possible. It was a feeling I knew all too well. As I looked at him, it was clear that he meant it. His physical state sang grief like a mourning dove.

"I understand, Jatron," I said, my voice filled with my own sorrow. "Losing someone you love is devastating. I hope that being in this house brings you some solace."

Jatron nodded, a bittersweet smile on his face. "Thank you. It's funny that you wish that this house could bring me Solace. That was his daughter's name. And I wish very much that this house could bring her to me."

"I miss him too," I admitted, then I realized my mistake.

Jatron's soft gray eyes met mine, and in that moment, I could see that he'd discovered my ruse. At first it was confusion, then realization cleared the grief from his face like sunlight. "Solace?" he asked with trembling lips.

I froze, my heart pounding in my chest. How had he figured it out? I had been so careful in concealing my true identity, but it seemed that Jatron Path had seen through my disguise.

With a deep breath, I decided to come clean. There was no use in continuing the charade. "Yes, Jatron. It's me, Solace. I'm sorry for deceiving you, but I had my reasons." I clenched my fists on the table, my nails biting into the wood. "And my reasons are filled with malice and revenge."

Jatron's eyes filled with a mix of surprise and then understanding. He reached out and took my hand in his, his grip firm and comforting. "Solace, I thought I had lost you too." Then he looked over the homunculus. "That disguise is amazing but... it's more amazing to see you alive! So whatever the reasons, I don't care."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I squeezed his hand. "I'm sorry for causing you pain, Jatron. I wish I could have sent you a letter. I never meant to hurt you."

Jatron shook his head, his voice filled with understanding. "I know, Solace. I know. And I am sorry that... you had to go through this alone. I should have done something."

I shook my head, not allowing him to apologize for something that wasn't his fault. "How could you have? It all happened so quickly."

Ursula, who had been silent throughout the conversation, spoke up. "Jatron, I know you and Solace have things to catch up on, but we also have urgent matters to attend to, including getting back to the guards we escaped. We need your help in uncovering the truth behind the corruption within the imperial family. Will you assist us?"

Jatron's eyes hardened with determination. "Of course. I will do whatever it takes to bring justice to those responsible for Solace's arrest and the loss of my friend."

A small flurry of relief, like a part of my heart was released from its cage, soared high as I realized that Jatron was truly on our side. With his knowledge and connections, we had a better chance of uncovering the truth and bringing those responsible to justice.

"We have a plan," I said, my voice filled with determination. "But we'll need your help in executing it. Are you willing to join us?"

Jatron nodded, a fire burning in his eyes. "I am with you, Solace. Together, we will expose the corruption and bring about a brighter future for Sanfelton."

When we stood up, I was crushed in a hug that made my back crack. Despite his thinness, he still had strength. It felt odd being able to put my arms around him, and I hoped he would be back to his usual self soon.

"I'll visit again soon and bring lunch," I promised.

Jatron smiled, his eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Solace. I look forward to our next visit. And thank you for bringing light back into my life."

I realized that not all of my family was gone with Jatron still alive. I vowed to take care of him.

As we said our goodbyes and made our way back to the embassy, I couldn't help but feel a renewed sense of hope. With Jatron by our side, we had a strong ally in our fight against the corruption within the imperial family. He knew more of the ins and outs of the palace and the government, having been an official.

When we arrived back at the embassy, I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the lecture we'd hear from Ambassador Nule.

Just as I feared, when we entered the embassy, Ambassador Nule was waiting for us, his arms crossed and a stern expression on his face.

He indicated with a wave of his hand that he'd like us to go to his office, so we followed him.

"Where have you been?" he demanded when we were safe behind closed doors, his voice filled with irritation. "You were supposed to return hours ago. Do you have any idea how worried I was to have two women lost in the city without anyone to guide them?"

He knew my role here, yet he kept allowing his traditions and views of women to cloud his mind. He was young but quite set in his ways and that familiar annoyance settled in to place. "I'm sorry, Ambassador. We got caught up in some unexpected events and lost track of time." I added no details, because he no longer deserved them.

Ambassador Nule sighed, his frustration evident in his voice. "You two need to understand the importance of following protocol and staying within the designated boundaries. I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is for you to be out in the city without proper protection. I understand that you have your reasons for going off on your own, but you must remember that you are representing Calasha here, and any misstep could have dire consequences."

Ursula stepped forward, her voice filled with determination. "Ambassador, we appreciate your concern for our safety, but we also have a duty to uncover the truth and bring justice to those responsible. We cannot do that if we are confined to the embassy."

"As a companion of a Taleat that is your role, Ursula!" he shouted, the politeness he reserved for me clearly lacking as he addressed her. "Calashan women stay masked and protected, only leaving with their intended or a trusted male escort. What you did could have raised questions!"

"She was with her intended. Or did you forget that's what I'm pretending to be?" Why had he become so nervous and narrow minded? It started to grow after my incident with Chevral. He'd made so many rules lately, including keeping clear of Lord Tiberius. There seemed to be more behind this.

Ambassador Nule's voice tightened. "Both of you are not behaving like Calashans, and that is the frustration I am having. There's been too many outrageous acts from you, Solace. And despite the favorable results, I worry about you." Emotion clouded his voice as he put out his hand and I stepped back, my brow wrinkling with confusion. He dropped his hand and clenched his fists.

Ursula crossed her arms, her expression defiant, figuring out his motives before I did. "Don't let your own feelings cloud things, Ambassador."

Ambassador Nule's expression turned stormy. "I understand your desire for freedom, Ursula, but I cannot ignore the laws and traditions of my country. This is quite difficult for me to watch, and I would like you both to accept more of my help." His eyes moved to me, and his expression grew more heated. "You are so very beautiful. If any were to realize that you are not a man, Solace, they would stop at nothing to have you."

I took a step forward, my voice filled with a mixture determination and revulsion at his sexism. "Ambassador Nule, I have faced danger before, and I will continue to do so in order to bring justice to those responsible for my father's death. I understand the laws and traditions of Calasha, but I also understand the importance of fighting for what is right. Please, trust me to make the decisions that I believe are necessary."

Ambassador Nule seemed struck by my words for a moment, then he closed his eyes. "Solace, I know that you are strong and capable, but I have seen what happens to those who defy the oppressive regime here in Sanfelton, and I don't want to see anything happen to you."

This tone of his conversation was getting more bizarre, almost as if he was a husband instead of a colleague. "I remind you that I know what they are capable of. I spent an evening of torture at the hands of Prince Kohl. That means that my path is personal, and I can't allow anyone to derail it, not even you."

Ambassador Nule looked shocked, then his body trembled with rage. "Torture?" he spat, his turquoise eyes flaming. "I didn't realize."

I could see the storms of conflict in his Mage eyes. They roiled in blue seas that flashed with lightning. "Knowing that, I'm more alarmed. No, I must do something about this." He ran his hands through his long red hair, disheveling it. I noticed that he had not tied it up neatly, and his attire was wrinkled. It was all the signs of a man that had paced with worry and tore at his hair and clothing.

"Ambassador, I can't ask you to do anything more than you have. In fact, I think it would be strange to those around us."

"Not strange. You accepted my gift."

What? Faluel help me! I wracked my brain of all the boring lectures that Perron had filled me with. Then I remembered.

Never accept a gift from a Calashan male if you are a single woman unless he does it out of duty. It means you have accepted his love and protection.

I had thought it was duty, but obviously it was not.

My jaw clenched and I glared at him. "I'm sorry, Ambassador, but I was unaware of the meaning behind your gift. I do not return your feelings."

The ambassador looked shocked, then angry. "But Perron assured me in his letter that you'd be amenable to a good match."

Perron WHAT??

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

14.2K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
52.4K 2.6K 38
❛❛Blue eyes, dark hair. Tall frame and a poisonous tongue. I'd recognize those features anywhere.❜❜ After The Dark War, Zoya Caldwell cou...
67.3K 939 37
(hi! it's been a while since I wrote this book, probably like 4 years, and I wanted to rewrite it and was hoping you, guys, could leave some suggesti...
64.7K 10.9K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...