Beating Around The Bush (Teen...

By boxxieofbox

My adhd brain has a new hyper fixation 😬 rip everyone that is waiting for me to update my other stuff...anyw... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 23

280 15 0
By boxxieofbox

"I had no idea Red X would pose such a threat. I should have been there." Robin said as him and his teammates stood in their kitchen. Cyborg and Beast boy leaned against the counters and Starfire was sat on top of it as she held a pair of scissors to Beast Boy's hair.

"You bet you should have been there! Look what he did to my do!" Beast Boy yelled referring to the red sticky substance that had been stuck in his hair for hours. "I'm looking at two months of bad hair days!" Beast Boy said upset they lost their battle and the state of his hair.

Raven tried to argue but the only sounds coming from her were muffled from the large red X still covering her mouth. "I don't know, Raven. That's kind of a good look for you." Beast said while Raven had an agitated vein popping out of her forehead.

"Hold still." Cyborg said as he reached for the X. He ripped it off harshly causing Beast Boy and Star to audibly wince at the sight. Raven contained her pain and rage as her eyebrows twitched. She quickly calmed herself down letting out a monotone 'ow'. "Even if you had been there it wouldn't have made any difference." Raven said as she placed her hand where the X was.

"Dude knew exactly how to bring each of us down. I guarantee he had a gadget with your name on it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he had something prepared for Perci if she was still with us." Cyborg said as he explained the situation to Robin. "Agreed. You need not feel guilt. We are undamaged." Star said to Robin with a soft smile.

"Hello?!" Beast Boy yelled pointing to his hair. "Mostly undamaged. And we are all eager to learn what you have discovered about Slade." Star said. "Nothing. Lead was a dead end." Robin said glaring at the ground. "I should get back to work." Robin said starting to walk away.

"Did you not meet with Night Shade?" Starfire asked making Robin stop in his tracks. "I didn't get the chance to." Robin said forgetting about the black letter that appeared attached to his door. That letter had been the fourth one they'd received. The first came from the yellow rose outside the tower. The second, was slipped into their takeout bags. And the third had appeared on their couch.

A few days had passed since the incident with Red X. Robin had confined himself into a room dedicated to trying to figure out what Slade's next move was. The group of teen heroes had all received a message from their leader.

"Okay, Robin, what's the..." Cyborg trailed off as the group ran into their living room to see nothing. "Robin? Robin?" Starfire called out for her friend. "You mean captain research? Ahh, he's probably filling out note cards at the public library." Beast Boy said letting out a loud yawn and stretching.

"I was." Robin voice came through causing Beast Boy to choke on his own spit. Robin's face was displayed on the screen in front of them. "But then I spotted Red X pulling a robbery in the tech sector. I'm on it. Get here as soon as you can." Robin said. His voice was serious and his team nodded in understanding. "You got it, dude." Beast Boy said as he started to fall asleep while standing. Cyborg rolled his eyes at his best friend before dragging him along with the others.

The crescent moon was high in the city. The group of teens had made it to where Robin told them to meet him. What they didn't notice was someone hiding in the shadows behind them watching their every move.

"There!" Cyborg yelled just as Red X came running through. Right on Red X's tail was Robin. The figure hiding in the shadows raised a brow. 'If Robin's there...was I wrong?' They thought. 'They had the same fighting style as Robin. Not to mention that they knew how to take each of the titans down. If it's not him...how did they get that kind of intel?' The figure thought to themselves.

What really caught everyone's attention was when Red X through a net over Robin. The hero grunted as he tried to get out only to turn to face his teammates. "Robin!" Cyborg yelled out. "I'm fine. Get X! Go!" Robin said and the titans were quick to chase after Red X.

The figure stayed hidden in the darkness as a sigh left their mouth. "Looks like I was wrong." They said stepping out into the flickering lights. They expected to hear some sort of...well...anything. The lack of noise made them look over at Robin. With a raised brow they stared at the now perfectly frozen Robin.

"What the hell?" Night shade asked herself as she got closer. She went to place her hand on Robin to break him from his possible trance only to have her hand go right through him. Night smirked under her mask as she shook her head. "You really almost got me with that one, Robin. Turns out I was right." Night said before running off in search of the hero.

Night continued to run until she realized she'd lost them. "Damnit!" She yelled to herself before looking all around her making sure there weren't any cameras or people watching her. She faded back into the shadows as she placed her hand into a crack in the asphalt. Her body slowly vanished as she slipped underneath the city.

Night Shade used the root system she'd made under the city to get an idea as to where they went. She felt a smirk grow as she emerged through the cracks above one of the subway systems. She knew the group of teens were somewhere below her.

Night's hand placed itself back over the crack in the wall and made herself seem like she was leaning on it. A few roots of hers grew from her hand and through the cracks of the subway system. None of the teens noticed as a couple stray roses grew in the shadows facing directly where they arrived. Night was able to hear and see everything going on.

"Do you come with subtitles?" Beast Boy asked Cyborg as they all looked around the subway for Red X. "My eye should spot him even if he's invisible." Cyborg said before looking around the subway. Cyborg was suddenly knocked back by a punch to the face by none other than Red X.

"It's him!" Raven said while Cyborg's body scrapped against the hard ground. Cyborg quickly got up only to feel something tap his back. Red X had attempted to hack into Cyborg's system once more only for his device to malfunction. "You're gonna have to learn some new tricks, dog." Cyborg said before grabbing Red X by his collar and throwing him towards the other heroes.

"Surrender. We do not wish to fight you." Starfire said. Her voice was full of so much kindness even with the people she faced. "Sorry. I'm not through with you yet." Red X said before jumping up sending one of his X's at Star. Raven easily blocked it with her magic protecting the girl.

Cyborg tried to land multiple punches on the villain, but Red X dodged every single one. Red X heard something coming towards him and he acted fast. Starfire was flying towards him and he used his cape to block her vision. Night Shade winced slightly as she watched Starfire fly right into Cyborg knocking both of them over.

The only titans left were Raven and Beast Boy. Red X jumped between the two heroes dodging their attacks. Beast Boy changed into a bear and was kicked hard by the villain. The same happened to Raven as she went into a stack of wooden crates.

Beast Boy recovered and hit Red X from behind sending him forward. The villain grabbed onto the large metal pole he'd almost hit and swung around. Beast Boy's eyes widened as he dodged Red X's feet. The green hero was about to let out a sigh of relief when he was punched in the face hard.

He let out a painful cry as he hit the edge of the opposite subway platform. The hero landed right in the middle of the subway tracks dizzy from the blow. Night Shade felt vibrations starting to come down the tunnels. 'The subway!' She thought to herself.

Before she could interfere, Beast Boy was grabbed from the tracks and thrown onto the platform. What surprised everyone was who Beast Boy was grabbed by. "Dude, did you just save me?" Beast Boy asked extremely confused as he faced their current enemy. His confusion left his body as a harsh kick met his chest sending him flying backwards.

The roses in the shadows disappeared and went back into Night Shade's body as she watched the exit of the subway carefully. A smirk filled her cheeks under her mask as she watched just who she was after run from the exit right towards the alley she was in. Her smirk widening as Red X pulled the chip from his suit to make sure he had it. While the chip was in his hand, Night found it the perfect time to strike.

Red X's eyes were on the chip as he didn't notice the figure taking a running start towards him. When he finally noticed her, it was too late. She placed a hand on his shoulder as she flipped herself over him. Her other hand grabbing the chip from him as their masked faces met.

Night Shade landed gracefully while Red X skidded to a stop as they faced each other. A few feet separating both of them. Night held the blue computer chip between two fingers taunting the villain across from her. "Stealing lesson number one, rookie. Don't take the goods out until you know you're safe." Night said to him. Red X slowly got into a fighting stance while Night smirked under her mask.

The villain charged at her, and Night dodged his fist only by a couple inches. She quickly ran past him back into the alleys of the city. Away from civilians and most importantly cameras.

Night made a few sharp turns running through the alleys of the city avoiding the various X's thrown her way. She slowed her pace down slightly as she noticed Red X was no longer behind her. She turned a corner and saw Red X in front of her.

Red X threw multiple kicks and punches at her, but she dodged all of them to both of their surprise. Night saw an opening and took it as she slid under his legs right past him. An annoyed growl came from Red X that made her laugh. Night had missed this kind of rush. The annoyance of her 'enemy', the running, the feeling like you could get caught at any moment, and she didn't care. Night made a sharp turn and jumped down and uncovered manhole. Red X jumping down right after her. The manhole cover going right back where it belonged after he jumped in.

The underground tunnels of the city was the only thing around Red X and Night Shade. The emergency lights around them flickering ever so slightly as both stared at each other a good few feet separating them. Night held the chip between her fingers high enough for Red X to see.

"Funny...a few days ago I had no idea these things even existed and now it seems everyone and their grandmothers want to get their hands on them." Night said as she examined the chip while Red X glared at her. She quickly noticed as he was about to throw something at her. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." "And why shouldn't I?" The voice that come from Red X was deep and rough.

"Red X was it?" Night asked knowing the answer. "Give me the chip." Malice was dripping from his words as he held his hand out for the chip. "Don't make me hurt you." He said making Night laugh. "Who are you?" Red X asked becoming impatient with the girl. Night raised a brow as she smirked beneath her mask. "Wouldn't you like to know, sweetheart?" She said while Red X clenched his fists.

"You know what's so interesting about working with your kind? Heroes and villains are surprisingly similar." Night said as she held the chip at at arms length. "The moment you have something they want, they're either helpless waiting for your offer, or they attack like they have nothing left to lose." Night said her eyes going back to the person across from her. "Tell me, Red X...which one are you?"

The moment the question left Night's mouth a large X was shot her way. She acted fast putting the chip in her empty pocket and pulling her weapon from her other. A chained scythe unfolded into the girls hands as she threw one side up to hit the X. A rather small explosion happened as the blade of the scythe flew back hitting the brick walls before Night yanked it back by the chain catching it easily.

"It's always more fun when they're fighters." Night said with a tilt of her head. The rush she felt before was still running through her roots as Red X jumped towards her. He sent multiple kicks and punches towards her as she dodged. A hard kicked to her stomach sent her tumbling back a few feet before she got back onto her feet skidding to a stop.

"Enough of your games! Give me the chip!" Red X yelled as he shot multiple X's towards her. She dodged most before an X caught her wrist securing it to the ground. Night tried to pull her wrist from the ground when she nearly got kicked in the head.

Red X was about to land a punch on her when she used the chain of her weapon to stop his movements. Night sent a hard kick towards Red X, but he easily dodged jumping back. Night used the time wisely as she cut the X freeing herself.

Red X quickly sent multiple attacks her way and Night used the chain of her weapon to continuously block him. "Hiding behind your weapon instead of fighting back? That shows me just how weak you really are." Red X stated. Anger rose in Night's system before she quickly covered it.

Night threw both of her scythes at him only for him to easily dodge them. Night smirked as he did exactly what she wanted him to. She held the chain in front of her before giving a swift tug. The chains quickly wrapped themselves around Red X. He was about to break free when she grabbed both handles tightening the chains.

Night shoved Red X against the brick walls with her black boot placed on his back keeping him in place. The comment he made earlier making her not feel bad for possibly hurting him. Her boot pressed him harder against the wall as she leaned against him pulling the chains tighter. She held both parts of her weapon in one hand while her other reached to the back of Red X's head.

"Think carefully about your next move, X. It only takes two pounds of force to drive someone's nose into their skull." Night Shade said as she pressed Red X's further onto the bricks. "And by how the situation is playing out...I suggest you listen to me." Night said with a smirk under her mask. "What do you want?" Red X asked his anger fully showing in his voice.

Night Shade took her chance and leaned over to Red X's ear. "I'm only going to say this once." Her voice was soft as she whispered to Red X. "There's a camera and audio system behind us to the left. Take it down, but make it look real." She finished. She kept her head where it was as she waited for Red X to react.

In response, Night was met with a harsh jab to her side from Red's elbow. Her grip on him loosened as he managed to get her off of him. The weapon containing him falling to the ground in the process. Red's hand that contained the explosive X's was pointed directly at her face. Night quickly grabbed his wrist pointing it away from her as it shot multiple times.

Night immediately noticed that the camera and audio system had been destroyed as she quickly grabbed the back of Red X's mask. He immediately started fighting back, but Night wasn't having any of it. She was tired of the fight and everything that had been going on. "What the hell do you think you're doing, Robin?!" She yelled as she ripped the mask off of him finally leaving him alone.

The super hero sent her a harsh glare as he tried to grab the mask from her. "Are you seriously asking me that?! What are you doing here?!" He yelled at her making her anger rise once more thorns prying through her skin.

"Trying to figure out what the hell has been going on with you, idiot!" She yelled back as she threw the mask at his chest. "Why don't you tell me why you're running around the city as an angsty thief?!" Night yelled at him as thorns only reached farther from her body.

"I'm TRYING to stop Slade." Robin said making Night roll her eyes. "If you really were trying to stop him you would've met up with me sooner. I shouldn't have to track down this stupid alter ego of yours! And if you call me weak ever again I'm going to-" What she said made Robin's eyes widen. "Wait...what did you say?" His anger quickly subsiding as the girl now had his full attention. "Oh, you wanna hear it again?" Night said with an attitude as she walked closer to Robin her thorns no longer coming from her body. "I shouldn't have to be the one stopping you from being a fucking idiot!" Night said as she picked up her weapon from the ground.

Robin placed his hands on her shoulders. His masked eyes stared at her intensely. "No, the first thing you said!" Night raised a brow confused, a good portion of her anger subsiding. "U-uh, if you really were trying to stop him you would've met up with me sooner?" She said confused. Night watched confused as Robin's eyes widened before he facepalmed hard taking his hands off her.

"Those letters...they really were from you weren't they?" Robin asked seeming to already know the answer. "Uh, duh! There's not another Night Shade that's going to be sending you those, bird brain." She said extremely confused as to what he was getting at. "I thought Starfire and Beast Boy made them." Robin said making Night even more confused. "Why would they make those?" "That's not important, what information do you have on Slade?" Robin asked and Night rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Oh, yeah, now wonder boy suddenly wants to talk." Night said as her anger returned. "I'm sorry." She was about to continue her rant when those words left Robin's mouth. "What?" She asked extremely confused. "I'm sorry for not showing up. I hope you hadn't been waiting on me very long." Robin said. His voice had a mix of sincerity and annoyance. "Please, tell me what happened, Night." His voice has gotten softer and a sigh left Night's mouth.

"Slade wanted information from me." "About what? The other titans? These chips? What?!" Robin continuously questioned. "He asked about you." "Me?" "Yeah, you. He wanted to know more about the other titans, but you were his main focus." Night explained and Robin thought for a moment. "Did you meet him?" He asked wanting to know everything about what happened. "I met with a robot. Don't worry, I didn't make any deals with him. I didn't give him anything." Robin said nodding.

"Why are you telling me all of this?" Robin asked. "I thought we weren't friends." He said referring to what Night had said when she left the titans. Robin received a sharp glare from Night. "Slade caused me to lose an arm for two weeks. The best revenge for him is letting a group of kids he's equally obsessed with take him down." She said before crossing her arms over her chest.

"I told you about Slade. Tell me why you're out here collecting the chips he's after." Robin knew he wouldn't be able to leave without telling her his plan. "I'm going to turn these over to Slade." "Why?" "I'm trying to gain his trust-" "You're trying to destroy him from the inside out." Night finished and Robin nodded.

"Robin...I hate to break it to you, but this plan of yours has already failed." She said making Robin raise a brow. "What?" He said through gritted teeth. "In the subway...you saved Beast Boy." She waited for Robin to understand, but he only raised a brow at her. "Red X...SAVED...Beast Boy. The key words are Red X and saved. Villains don't save people, Robin." A short silence filled the air before Robin finally broke it.

"The only people that know it happened are you and the other Titans." Robin said glaring at Night. "Give me the chip." He said holding his hand out. "You're not listening to me." Night said annoyed. "I'm trying to help you." Night said a she glared at him. A sigh left Night's mouth as she reached into her pocket. She pulled out the chip about to hand it over when she pulled it back. "Just so you're aware there were two cameras in here. I took care of one when you first attacked." Venom was dripping from her words as she spoke. "Either accept my help or don't. If you want it, then don't ignore my letters like you did my calls." Night said as she shoved the chip into his chest. He watched as his old friend squeezed through the cracks in the tunnel walls.

"I didn't miss her calls." Robin said to himself before brushing her statement off. After all, he had more pressing matters. Slade was trying to get information about him. Robin was ready to bring him down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 363 33
!THIS IS A FANFIC! This is a story about Y/n L/n. In an apocalyptic world. She ends up taking refuge at a beaten down school named Ericsons home for...
1.1M 46.3K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
678K 41.5K 105
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
152K 4.2K 75
Y/n Elemental Master of Wind always saving the city with her ninja friends what more could go wrong? (Cole x Fem Reader)