|Concrete and Gold||dave groh...

By aurorajgrace

Growing up, all Dave Grohl meant to Eliza was the boy next door. After being uprooted from her life in Michig... More

Chapter One•Learn To Fly
Chapter Two•Run
Chapter Three•Shame Shame
Chapter Four•I'll Stick Around
Chapter Five•Show Me How
Chapter Six•Something From Nothing
Chapter Seven•Halo
Chapter Eight•Big Me
Chapter Nine•This Is A Call
Chapter Ten•Summer's End
Chapter Twelve•Enough Space
Chapter Thirteen•Come Back
Chapter Fourteen•Waiting on a War
Chapter Fifteen•I Should Have Known
Chapter Sixteen•Let It Die
Chapter Seventeen•Good Grief
Chapter Eighteen•How I Miss You
Chapter Nineteen•Walking After You
Chapter Twenty•Another Round
Chapter Twenty One•Making A Fire
Chapter Twenty Two•On The Mend
Chapter Twenty Three•Disenchanted Lullaby
Chapter Twenty Four•Overdrive
Chapter Twenty Five•Exhausted
Chapter Twenty Six•Rest
Chapter Twenty Seven•Night Fever
Chapter Twenty Eight•Rescued
Chapter Twenty Nine•A Matter Of Time
Chapter Thirty•Walking A Line
Chapter Thirty One•Friend of a Friend
Chapter Thirty Two•Shadow Dancing
Chapter Thirty Three•My Poor Brain

Chapter Eleven•Over and Out

290 4 15
By aurorajgrace

Dave and Eliza spent the next two weeks preparing for Scream's departure. Eliza, who held no bad blood towards the band for leaving without her, attended all of their rehearsals for the tour and helped give them pointers where they needed to improve. They'd slowed their performance schedule to twice a week to focus all of their energy on tour prep. Eliza guided them through it all, from arranging all the meetings with the label representatives to discuss tour plans, helped them finalize a setlist, and even helped some of the members pack their suitcases.

Although she was happy for the band and supported their decision to leave, Eliza couldn't help but feel a little left out. She was helping them prepare for something she couldn't take part in. And a small part of her worried that once the band returned, they wouldn't need her anymore. But, she recognized the fact that none of this was about her and all she could do was her best in helping these boys be as ready as they could for when they took off on that plane.

One day while Dave and Eliza were sharing dinner together on her back porch, Eliza felt her phone ring in her back pocket. She looked down at the phone, and answered right away when she realized it was Paul.

She spoke on the phone with him for a few minutes, worrying Dave at the length of the call.

"What did he need?" Dave asked not even seconds after she hung up the phone.

Eliza sighed, unsure of how the news was going to go over with Dave. "The label's French branch has an exposure show planned, and since one of the bands dropped out, there's now room for you guys to play. Paul was really pushing for you guys to play it, since all of the label reps will be there. It'll get your name out to everyone who's important."

"Ok, why is this such a big deal?" Dave asked, shrugging. "It's just another show. Why'd he call about it?"

"It's on Friday."

"Friday?" Dave exclaimed. "Like the Friday in two days?"

"Yep. This Friday."

"Did Paul talk to anyone else?"

"Yep. Everyone else is good with leaving early. You're the last one he called."

"Eliza, we'd be leaving almost a week early! We aren't ready, there's still so much to do..."

"You're ready." Eliza cut in, placing her hand on top of his. "What else is left to do?"

Dave sat there for a moment, thinking about her question. "I mean, nothing really. I'm just not ready to say goodbye yet."

"Oh Dave, will you ever be? This is a great opportunity for you and the band. You could really get your name out there. Dave, don't turn this down."

"Nobody else said no?" He asked, reasoning with Eliza.

"Nope. Everyone's in."

He sighed. "Doesn't sound like I have much of a choice, now do I?"

"No, you don't."

"Then I guess we've got to squeeze in a weeks worth of memories into a few days."

"I guess we do."

The pair were almost inseparable for the next 48 hours. Eliza had begged her mother to let her spend the night at Dave's, just to soak up every last second that he was in town.

"Jitterbug, no. You can go over there in the morning."

Eliza sighed as she stomped up the stairs. Just as she settled in her bed and reached for the phone to call Dave and tell him that she wouldn't be coming over, she heard a thud come from her window.

She walked over to her window and threw open the curtains, revealing Dave standing outside.

"Come down here!" He called.

She didn't even hesitate, and slipped out of her front door with ease.

"How shall we spend my last night in town?" Dave asked as they walked towards his house.

"I don't have any ideas, do you?" She asked. Just by the twinkle in his eye, she could tell he was up to something.

"Get in and I'll show you." He said, opening his car door.

They began to drive, and Eliza was yet again left at the mercy of Dave and his surprises.

Eventually, they came upon a forest clearing that was familiar to Eliza.

"Recognize this place?" Dave asked, putting the car in park.

"Where we shared our first night together. Where you brought me after you found me in that restaurant."

"Right on, sweetheart. Now come on, we've only got the night."

"Don't remind me." She said as she got out of the car.

She stood and watched as Dave set down the blankets and prepared the fire just as he had that first night. Once he was done, she took a seat next to him by the crackling fire.

"I don't know how I'm gonna live without hearing your voice every single day." Dave said, twirling a piece of Eliza's blonde hair around his fingers.

"Phones exist, you know." She said, laughing.

"No no no. That's just not the same. I can't see the way your eyes light up when you laugh over the phone. I can't touch you over the phone." He said, tracing her face with his finger tips.

"It's only for a few months, we will be fine." She assured him.

"I hope so."

They sat there for what felt like hours, intertwined, watching the world go by.

Eliza looked up at Dave when she heard what sounded like a sniffle escape from his nose.

"Oh Dave, come here." She said, cradling his face into her neck.

"I love you, Eliza. I love every single goddamn piece of you. I'm scared to live without you."

She shushed him as she scratched his back. "We can talk all of the time, I promise. I have two weeks off of school in December, and I'll book a flight to wherever you are. It won't be that bad Dave, I promise."

He nodded, but she held him there longer to make sure he was ok. Sure, she was devastated that they had to be separated, she was just shoving down her emotions as far down as they could possibly go.

They sat together by the heat of the fire until nearly four in the morning. Both were scared to leave, because they knew when the morning came that Dave was going to have to board a plane headed to Europe. Dave had fallen asleep, but Eliza sat awake. She wanted to soak in the sound of his soft breathing and the feeling of his heart beating against her leg as long as she possibly could, knowing it might be a long time until she could experience it again.

When Eliza could see the sun peeking out from behind the tall forest trees, she knew it was time to leave. She patted Dave's back until he awoke, and they both knew that their night was over. They silently packed up their camp and headed back towards their houses.

Dave dropped Eliza back off in her driveway, for he still had about five hours before he needed to leave. She crept back into her room, and read a book for the next few hours.

Once it was a reasonable hour for the two of them to begin hanging out again, Eliza headed over to the Grohl residence. She helped Dave load all of his bags into his car, and ate one final lunch with him and Virgina at the dining room table.

Finally, it was time to leave. Both Eliza and Virginia were going to drive him to the airport, so they all crammed into his car and took off.

It was about a half and hour drive to the airport, and for the entirety of the drive Dave did not let Eliza's hand out of his clutches. She swore she was going to have nail marks left in her skin when he finally released.

Eliza sighed as she saw the sign for the airport grow closer and closer. Eventually, Virginia pulled up to the airport entrance and parked the car. Eliza was too afraid to get out of the car, knowing that after she did it would only be a matter of minutes until Dave left.

"Dave, you're gonna be late." Virginia said softly, peering into the backseat. She knew her so. was sad and didn't wanna ruin the moment, but he also couldn't miss his flight.

"Yeah, mom. You're right. Let's go." Dave patted Eliza's knee before getting out of the car and going towards the trunk to start unloading.

Both Virginia and Eliza followed, and began helping him gather his belongings.

"You two go in there. I'll wait out here." Virginia said once Dave had all of his luggage in his hands.

"Are you sure?" Dave said.

"Of course. Goodbye, David. I love you."

"Awe mom, come here." Dave said, dropping his suitcase and tightly embracing his mom.

"Be safe." She whispered in his ear.

"I promise."

Dave parted with his mom by giving her a kiss on the cheek and waving as he and Eliza headed towards the airport entrance, hand in hand.

Eliza helped Dave navigate the airport, guiding him to where Scream said they'd meet up. She began to panic, as none of them were anywhere to be found, but was relieved when she spotted the group huddled together.

"Ey Davey! There ya are." Pete said, sauntering over and clapping him on the back.

Dave smiled, and Eliza could tell that he wasn't happy about the departure like the rest of the guys. They all talked for a bit until Eliza had to tell them to get moving. She still didn't know what they were gonna do without her.

"C'mon boys, you're all gonna miss the flight, and then what?" She said, pushing them all towards the gate.

They all laughed and headed towards the entrance.

"Ma'am, may I see your ticket?" One of the workers came up to Eliza after they reached the gate entrance.

"Oh, I'm not flying. Just saying goodbye."

"I'm sorry, but if you don't have a ticket, you can't go any farther."

Eliza sighed and looked at Dave. They both weren't ready to say goodbye, but it didn't look like they had any other options.

"I love you, Eliza." Dave said, scooping up her chin in his hands and gave her a long kiss.

"I'm gonna miss those." She said once he pulled away.

"Me too."

He looked down at his feet, and she could see the tears begin to well up in his eyes.

"Hey, no, no, no. None of that. This is a happy day. You're going on tour with your band in Europe. Smile." She said, lifting up his head.

He looked at her and made a forced, cheesy smile. They both erupted in laughter, gaining many passerbyers attention.

"Last call for anyone boarding flight 5276." The worker called out.

"Dave, go." Eliza said more firmly.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

He closed his eyes, blinking away the tears. He planted one final kiss on her forehead, and then walked away. Eliza stayed there, and watched him walk through the doors, making sure he actually boarded the plane. Not only that, but she wanted to soak up every last bit of Dave as she could. She watched as he opened the doors, and turned around and shot her one last smile before they banged shut behind him.

Eliza took a deep breath, wiped away the tears spilling out of her eyes, and headed back outside.

Three more months. She kept repeating to herself in her head. Only three more months.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

591K 13.2K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
83K 4.7K 34
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢'𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐚 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐭𝐨 𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲? 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 �...
Fake love By :)

Fanfiction

115K 2.7K 42
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
135K 4.2K 45
matilda styles, will you be my valentine? (please reject me so i can move on) ⋆ ˚。⋆୨💌୧⋆ ˚。⋆ IN WHICH christopher sturniolo falls for nepo baby or...