✓ | REBIRTH OF THE REBEL [Boo...

By abyssofwendy

[Book 2] (I highly recommend for you to read book 1 before proceeding to this book.) This is the second part... More

FOREWORD
ROTR
EXCERPTS
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
AFTERWORD
BOOK THREE

CHAPTER 24

412 20 0
By abyssofwendy

[ C H A P T E R 24 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

A lot of them are hiding something from me. Hindi naman bago na maraming mga sekreto ang pilit tinatago ng lahat, pero hanggang ngayon ay hindi ako mapakali. It always feels like I have no choice but to submit to their options. Ayoko, hindi maari na iba ang magdesisyon sa buhay ko.

This second life is my escape, and I don't want anyone dictating what I want to do with it. Of course, I understand what Wince proposed, and it was also what Roshan wished for me to do. But not now, I know for sure there could be something that can be used other than accepting the fact that I might lose a child.

"Nature is always a nice escape for the suffocating presence of humans." Napako ang aking tingin sa kanan ng marinig ko ang Lord na nagsalita. He was wearing simple clothes while both hands were on his back, and his head was lifted as his gaze went straight to the blue ocean above.

Nasa garden kasi ako ngayon dahil wala naman akong ibang magagawa bukod sa mag-amend ng mga dokumento, matulog, maglaro kay Annika, at tumunganga.

"Your husband left with his butler, I think they are going town after town convincing every villager to vote for me," he added. He glanced at me for a while before moving his stare at the tree. "Fifty percent of the voting is for the nation, while the rest is the decision of the Imperial Court. I don't know if I will win this time, Madame."

"You have to trust my husband," I uttered. Nasa kanya na ang paningin ko at hindi sa kamay kong nagbuburda. "The Duke will do everything in this power to help you win this election year," I added.

"How sure are you?" Napoleon asked. Walang bakas na pagdududa ang boses niya kaya nagtaka ako kung bakit niya natanong ito.

"Because Roshan is influential," I simply replied with the truth. "He may have been a jerk in the past, but he has a very reliable determination. If someone believes in him, he can do everything."

Napoleon smiled and suddenly sat on the chair beside me. Hindi niya talaga ako tinanong kung pwede ba kahit alam niya naman na isa akong Dukesa. I always wonder why people keep on forgetting my status just because I speak casually to them.

"You must have known me from him, didn't you?" he suddenly asked. Nakipagtitigan ako saglit bago ako umiwas ng tingin. He put his hands on the table and leaned a bit closer to my side. "Alam mo ba kung ano ang ginawa ko dati dahilan kung bakit ang pa-plastik ng mga Knights sa akin?"

"No," I replied. "But whatever it is, it is part of the past."

Napoleon let out a laugh right after. He thinks what I said was funny, but I didn't oppose him and just let my ears bleed with his annoying voice.

"I almost killed Roshan," he suddenly confessed. He leaned on the back of the chair and rested his body comfortably while never breaking our gaze. "I let him protect her, but he didn't uphold such a promise," he added.

"Hindi mo rin natupad ang pangako, kaya patas kayo ng pinagdaanan," sambit ko. There was firmness in my voice, for I wanted to protect Roshan from him. "He blamed himself for the mishap that both of you did. I may not know what you thought about it, but he has suffered since her death."

Napoleon scoffed. "She didn't die of childbirth," he uttered.

Hindi na ako nagulat, dahil matagal ko na din alam 'yan. Umiwas lamang ako ng tingin para ipahiwatig sa kanya na alam ko ang nangyari, kaya nang mapansin niya ang aking pagtahimik, bigla siyang tumawa.

"Looks like you are fully aware," he continued. "The Empire wants to conceal a very degrading truth, but instead of killing the mother and the child, it was only the mother who died. They can't kill a newborn for it will bring destruction to the Empire as per its belief."

"What are you implying right now?" tanong ko. The aura of the garden became dense as our intense gaze occupied the space. "It was the Emperor's request to raise the child. Roshan merely—-"

"The Duke merely agreed to take the consequence that he shouldn't have taken," he cut me off. Napoleon bore emotionless eyes even when his entire expression is smiling. "If only he agreed to my decision to take her away from here and let her live peacefully, none of it would have happened. He thinks she is safe in these borders, but look where she is now."

"Your method that time is risky for a pregnant woman, especially that she's in the peak of giving birth," I said firmly. "It was also your fault that she died, because you insisted on fleeing at that crucial moment!"

"That child shouldn't have been born," he muttered. Nagsisitaasan na ang aming mga boses. He pointed his forefinger at me. "He accepted that child out of guilt, out of remorse. If he could just stop thinking about his own pain, then it would have—-"

"She is a Reidensteigh!" I cut him off this time. Napatigil si Napoleon dahil sa sinabi ko. He let out a frustrating groan and moved his eyes away before he slammed his body on the back chair. "Her blood is a royal, Napoleon. That is why Roshan took the responsibility. Mas may ginawa siya kasya sa 'yo. You turn your back when she dies. If you truly think of Annabelle as your little sister, you should have protected the child."

"I can't accept her father," he firmly said without looking at me. "But I feel at ease that I cannot see any fucking resemblance of that fucking man with her aside from his blood."

"You have to understand how overbearing it was for the Duke," I whispered. Nasasaktan ako para sa taong minamahal ko, kaya hindi ko maitago ang nararamdaman ko ngayon. "He lost his lover, as well as his brother. He both lost you that time, Napoleon. But, look at what is happening now, despite the distant feelings, he is helping you."

"It still feels the same, Duchess," he uttered. His voice was laden with displeasure and opposition. "No matter how hard he tries to compensate for her death, he can never bring her back to life."

"I know," I uttered. "But he is trying."

Hindi sumagot si Napoleon, bagkus napaismid lamang siya at mas lalong iniwas ang kanyang tingin. This is giving me a headache. Men and their ego is sure hard to align. Minasahe ko na lamang ang aking sinsitido dahil sa namumuong stress sa sistema ko.

"Anyway," putol ko sa namumuong katahimikan. "Annika is celebrating her fifth birthday next week—-"

"It's her mother's death anniversary, and you have the guts to be happy that day?" bigla niyang putol sa sasabihin ko. Bakas ang disgusto at lumot ng nakaraan sa boses niya.

"I know, but it is not the child's fault she's born," I firmly said. "The Duke already agreed that we will celebrate it in the manor. If you feel uncomfortable, you are freely allowed to leave that day."

He just let out a scoff. "Does he dare celebrate a birthday on the day his lover died? How much have you manipulated in his brain that he is moving on that fast?" he uttered.

"It will be five years since then," I replied. I could feel my voice was trying to give him a hint of how long it has been. "Don't let your life be trapped in the past, Lord of the State. Although I am not tarnishing a belief, being obsessed with that loss is not healthy."

"Don't teach me, Latisha Reidensteigh," he uttered firmly. "I did not come here bearing any rumors. I know who you are and what the Duchy is trying to hide. You have the Duke on your fingers. And with a single word from you, he might attack the Empire effortlessly."

"Kung saan mo man narinig ang mga haka-haka na 'yan, lahat ng mga ito ay walang kabuluhan," mariin na saad ko. "The Duke holds his own decisions. Kung hindi mo man tanggap ang pagbabago sa kanya, hindi ko na kasalanan 'yon."

He let out a smirk. "Well, if it is his decision, then he is a jerk. He let a witch in his den, she manipulated the child to control the Duke. Alright, it is his life, why would I oppose that?"

Naningkit ang aking mga mata sa sinabi niya. "I am not a witch."

Napoleon let out a mocking laugh, and he then scoffed as if he wasn't pleased with my opposition. "When I was almost assassinated, I heard a rumor coming from the mouths of my enemy. The Moore clan is not to be trusted by the Empire. Even if these rumors hold no basis, they can't be neglected."

Napangisi ako bigla. "It is always your nature to listen to such blabbers of people who do nothing but try to degrade those above them because they feel inferior," sagot ko.

"Do you think I am insecure just because I am holding to this basis? What if they were true? What if you are truly a villain disguised as a beautiful Duchess of Reidensteigh?" he asked, looking at me with a menacing expression. He didn't even filter his words as it pierce right through my system.

"And you came here not just to seek protection, but also to uncover what is behind the curtains?" I asked. I leveled my presence to the same intensity he is giving.

"Let's just say that is what I am thinking right now," he replied. He leaned towards my side with a playful smirk lying on his lips. "I am trying to assess the situation, your grace. I am trying to understand why."

I didn't back out from his gaze. Nakipagtitigan ako sa kanya ng ilang segundo, at agad dumipensa ang sistema ko ng bigla niyang hawiin ang baso na may lamang mainit na tsaa papunta sa akin.

"What the fuck!" I hissed. Kung hindi ko naisangga ang hawak kong tela na binuburda, mapapaso ako sa laman non. I glared at him. "That was fucking hot, Napoleon!"

He just laughed. "I heard you were quick witted, I just want to assess if that is true so I did. Forgive me, your grace. I want to understand this situation."

"And what if I didn't dodge?" I asked, unbelieving.

"You wouldn't do that, your grace. You love your face and such beauty is very disappointing to waste," nakangisi niyang sabi,

I felt the urge of my anger at the peak of my patience. Walang sabi-sabi kong sinipa ang upuan niya kaya napasalpak siya sa sementadong sahig. I raised the hem of my dress and tried to hit him with my leg but he immediately used both of his arms to defend.

"Oh, the Duchess knew combat?!" he exclaimed. He was trying to grasp the idea of me attacking him with my movement while he was defending. Kalaunan ay nasipa ko na talaga ang balikat niya kaya napaatras siya habang hawak ang parte kung saan dumapo ang paa ko.

"This is interesting," he continued. "I thought you would have such a pretty face, but it looks like beauty has its own thorn," he added.

"You provoked me," mariin na saad ko.

"No, I am trying to assess the truth of these rumors," he said. Napakurap ako ng bigla siyang umatake gamit ang kanyang mga kamao. I tried to move and use my agility to dodge every attack. Hindi ako pwedeng masagip ng kamao niya dahil mukhang hindi siya umuurong.

We were fighting in the garden. I use my feet to move the hair and throw it at him, but he dodge it. Bawat atake ko ay may panangga siya at bawat atake niya naman ay iniiwasan ko. There was a time he almost hit me but my system moved away instantly to avoid it.

But being pregnant has a disadvantage. Humihina ang galaw ko habang tumatagal. Mabilis akong mapagod ngayon kaya halos hinahabol ko na din ang aking hininga.

"Are you tired, Duchess?" Napoleon asked with his mocking laugh.

Napabuga na lamang ako ng hangin. Gusto kong umurong pero hindi ko magawa. I don't want him to gain an upper hand just because he is much more resilient in battle than me. Kung hindi lang ako buntis malamang tumba na ang lalaking 'to.

"Hoy, 'wag 'yan!" litanya ko. May kinuha kasi siyang sanga ng kahoy. Medyo malapad at mataba ito. "No weapon, Napoleon Jakare Lamperouge!" dagdag ko.

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you," he said, and then attacked me.

Piste, walang tigil akong sumigaw kada iiwas ako para itigil niya ang ginagawa niya. Tumakbo na ako palayo dahil malakas ang bawat hampas niya sa kahoy. Kapag ako nahagip niyan, tiyak akong may magwawalang Duke.

"Tama na, hindi ka na nakakatuwa!" litanya ko.

"But, seeing you run looks fun, your grace!" sigaw niya.

"Piste ka! Bitawan mo na 'yan, mandurugas ka!" sagot ko.

I was running around the table trying to avoid him. Hinabol niya pa ako paikot sa puno at talagang nawawalan na ako ng hangin sa ginagawa namin. Namumuo na talaga ang inis sa sistema ko kaya tumigil ako at tumayo malapit sa mesa.

Napoleon looked at me with a cunning grin. "Tired of running?"

"Come, let me show you what I am capable of," sagot ko. I was urging him to come towards me. Pagod na rin kasi akong umiwas.

Napoleon didn't hesitate and attacked me with the branch he was holding. Iniwasan kong mapadaing ng lumatay ang kahoy sa braso ko, at agad kong hinawakan 'yon para kunin sa kanya. He wasn't giving in so I ended up hitting his leg twice.

Pareho naming hinawakan ang dulo ng sangga at panay atake sa isa't isa gamit ang isa naming kamay at mga paa. I was trying to defend his attack, but I was surprised that he pulled me in with a full force using the stick.

Hinawakan niya ang aking bewang para hindi kami matumba ng tuluyan kaya't napako ang tingin ko sa kanyang mukha. His cunning smile was replaced with surprise. Ngayon ko lang din napansin ang totoong kulay ng kanyang mga mata.

It was dark green, like the darkest shade of the forest.

"You are pregnant," he uttered softly. He was looking at my eyes and I saw my very reflection on him. He was startled, surprised, and a bolt of bewilderment struck upon him as he realized my situation after holding my waist.

"Am I interrupting something?"

We both heard the Duke's voice from afar, and because of that, Napoleon untangled his hands on me and I pushed myself away from him. Napako ang tingin ko kay Roshan, and I swear, he was trying to hide his pain from what he saw two seconds ago.

*~*~*~*
VOTE ~ COMMENT ~ SHARE
are very much appreciated, thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.9K 1.2K 28
Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarnated as Queen Estella de Royalis, the vil...
164K 6.5K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...
12.3K 601 29
Siri Walker is a 26 year old woman and a lawyer. She is an orphan and lives in New York. One day after winning a case she was returning home with her...
2.1K 23 38
If you like these types of stories then this should be a fun read. One day you were reading your favorite novel with your best friend, but the next...