I'm Going Ghost....

By OpalHippocampus799

Why does it hurt? Why won't the pain go away? Why can't I let go? Why does everyone have sunshine while I ca... More

An Astronaut's Dream * Prelude
Roadmap to Life * 1
Answers to Life Questions? * 2
Life's Calm Before Death's Storm * 3
A Ghost's Nightmare * 4
Wake Up! ^ Interlude
Ever Present Danger ^ 6
I'm sorry-- What?! ^ 7
This is your Idea of Fun? ^ 8
Gaining Your Sea Legs ^ 9
Inter-Reliance ^ 10

Rise and Shine ^ 5

33 1 0
By OpalHippocampus799

Opal: It's been a while now, hasn't it?

Jazz: Yeah, I haven't made the scene it what, four chapters.

Opal: You had last chapter. It was your point of view. Don't you remember?

Jazz: Ugh, no. I've been over this enough times with my doctor. I don't remember these things half as well as you.

Opal: Well, let's be--

Jazz: When am I going to do something important?

Opal: I was just about to start the chapter, but now you've interrupted me. What else did you forget?

Jazz: Um, nothing! Ugh. Just get on with it.

      "Don't push yourself, Jasmine. There is no shame to being in a wheelchair after a four year coma," a woman's voice told me as I struggled along the rails, "besides they're ecto-powered now, so you'll be going even faster than most of us."

      "I know, Dr. Camden, but if I can't just be sitting around doing nothing. Besides call me Jazz; I've been saying it for years."

      "I'll consider it, Ms. Fenton," Dr. Camden paused before asking, "Alright, should I leave you with Bach to calm your nerves?"

       I pushed another leg in front of the other, saying, "Actually, Beethoven would do me wonders."

       "If you say so. Holler to Mr. Ashley or me if you need anything."

       "Thanks," I pushed out while Beethoven's fifth symphony filled my auditorium as I pushed through the first wave of dizziness and took my first step.

       That had been the sum total of my existence for the passed while. I could just remember the earliest parts of it, like a dolphin jumping off the wall which Mr. Ashley, my nurse, told me had been three years ago. It certainly didn't feel like three years, but my memory was foggy. I knew that my name was Jasmine Fenton and that I lived at Fenton Works, but most everything else was out of date or I kept to myself.

       The uneasy expression of Mr. Ashley upon my offering that information told me that something was not altogether right with my home, or my family. I knew the latter already, worse actually than the weirdness to which I had become used. Mr. Ashley only nodded carefully after I spoke, not supplying any further knowledge about how my parents or brother were doing. The feeling of dread turned in my stomach like an angry swarm of butterflies, but we never touched the subject again while I made my recovery.

      To ease myself back into active life, I was allowed to listen to just about any music and watch just about any movie. I've listened to a lot of Bach and Tchaikovsky to settle my nerves mingled with a little Beethoven to spice up the monotony of the hospital. Mozart made his own debut, and Vivaldi with Chopin were a welcome respite as I tried to figure out what the heck was going on. Hundreds of documentaries had helped me rebuild my vocabulary. Thousands of Sudoku and word puzzles helped me through finding out what I was going to do with myself in a world which had aged faster than me.

      Other coma patients acclimated easily to the changes of technology which had been sweeping through Amity Park which was struggling to survive just beyond the borders of the Republic of Washington, what remained from the U.S. Not me though, I was under while the technology was in development, and when it made the newspaper, which no one had or read anymore, and when it became mass-produced after doomsday. Mr. Ashley, I was grateful, took the time to fish around for the puzzles for me while I tried to get my bearings.

      I was getting used to some of it, but it still took everything out of me to hear of Paulina Sanchez making her way in the fashion industries, suddenly six years too old for me. She had gained quite the following and matured in her fashion tastes, but even from stories or when she appeared on TV, she hadn't really changed since high school, using others to build herself up or tearing others down to diminish the competition. She was dating the famous Jose Borja, who could best be described as a hot Latino actor.

      I had heard tales of Kwan Jeong-Hun who was the leading scientist behind  many discoveries which have led to our current prosperity. He was a leading force in the ghost shields which were constructed around Amity Park. Rumor had it that he was dating his high school sweetheart, Star, and they would soon marry.

      Of course, I heard about the illustrious Ms. Valerie Gray and her father, Damon Gray, the new mayor of Amity Park.  Well, he was new to me, but had actually been elected mayor in the second year of my coma. It would have been suspicious that he had been in office so long if it weren't for the fact that everything else was different, like Texas now being its own country, absorbing at least four other states in part or whole and now called Texakin. His daughter, Valerie, was the leading captain behind the town's spectral force which protected Amity from any ghostly attack, including the notorious Phantom Devil which resulted in the region's bad reputation and name, Noland. Rumors ran rampant of ghost attacks and horrors awaiting anyone who dared leave the city premises.

     "I see you've changed your playlist a little. It's got a little more rock 'n' roll to it."

     Speak of the devil; I turned to see the woman herself standing on the threshold to my room, Room 314. The quick movement of my head was too much for my body to handle as another wave of dizziness and now nausea overtook me so that I just missed my step before I stumbled to the ground.

     "Oh, are you alright? I didn't realize you were still practicin'," she cried as she rushed to my aid.

     Once I was sitting up while the room was reorienting itself, I breathed, "I just wish that I could get passed this."

     "Pause!" My fist slammed against the ground in raw anger. I groaned looking down at my hand at yet another outburst.

     "It's alright."

      "It's not alright," I sighed, glancing at the bed and my hospital gown, "I need to do this. I have to do this." Why was I so helpless?

      "I know," she told me, resting her hand on my shoulder as she took up my field of vision, "You've made amazing progress. Don' be sellin' yourself short. You're always pushing yerself. You know that, right? Sometimes, it's enough to rest before you try again."

      I sighed, exhausted, "I'm trying. I just don't know if it's enough."

      "Trust me, girlfriend. It's enough."

      After seeing my steady gaze, Valerie glanced at the floor, "Sorry, force of habit."

     I shook my head in frustration, "I really do appreciate everything, Valerie. I just, I just don't remember everything that you do."

     "No worries," she told me through a smile that never reached her eyes, "we'll figure things out."

     "Together?" I groaned through a half smile.

     "Always."

     I glanced up at the metal bars and sighed, "One more try then?"

     Valerie nodded, her whole face smiling, "I'll be walkin' right beside you."

     I heaved myself up, and with a little help from Valerie set my hands back against the rails while I breathed just above a whisper, "Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake Waltz."

    The spinning passed as air filled with the sounds of the strings overlaid among woodwinds intermingled with percussional undertones.

    Valerie sighed, "You're weird."

    I paused, not wanting to fall, "I call it old fashion," and continued along the rails.

    "Which is why it's weird," Valerie grinned, pausing for effect, "How can you stand this?"

     I made it to the end of the rails and told her, "I have a sophisticated taste for music."

     Valerie smirked as she helped me to the bed, "So you're saying that rock 'n' roll and the blues aren't sophisticated."

     Having the extra hand, the extra support, almost made walking normal. When would I be able to do it on my own? I shrugged as I tried to pull the thin blankets up with my tired limbs, "I'm just saying that the classics are peerless in their genius."

    Valerie hummed, "Well, I better get going so you can listen to your music then."

   "Valerie?"

    "Hm?"

    "I will get out of here eventually. I'm not just imagining that, right?"

    She turned back to me, holding her hands on her hips, "Of course. You can even join us at headquarters when you're ready.

     I huffed trying to get comfortable, "I don't know what I'm going to do."

     Valerie smiled softly, relaxing her posture, "There's always a time when enough's enough. I know you don't want to be stuck in a wheelchair, but maybe you can settle for a cane. Just a thought."

     I nodded softly, feeling exhausted while Valerie switched off the lights, and I watched the panels of the ceiling, waiting for sleep to come, hoping for rest.

     I was on the edge of a sidewalk of some place I knew, but I couldn't quite place. Fire blazed on the ground while lightening flashed across the sky. He was stumbling towards me, reaching out. The boy's bright blue eyes were desperate as he cried, "I don't know what to do!"

    I grasp towards his hands as thunder clashed across the sky like cymbals, and I jerked looking up. When I returned in fear to his umbral head, he was nowhere to be found. Smoking darkness billowed where the boy once stood while his scream was mingled with Mr. Lancer's maniacal laughter.

    "No!" I screamed reaching through the smoke. I had to save him!

    "Jazz," he wheezed, "Jazz!"

    I opened my eyes to find myself looking into the concerned eyes of Mr. Ashley. I swallowed hard and pulled myself away, releasing my grip of his arm and bringing the stiff sheets against my chest.

    "I'm," I looked down, staring at the side of the bed, "uh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

    "It's fine, Jazz."

    "Jasmine."

    "I should have been paying more attention after your, erm, reaction."

    I nodded, looking at nothing in particular, "Yeah."

    He was managing the equipment as he said, "Do you think that Dr. Camden is right? Maybe you should start fresh. A wheelchair out in the city will surely help you with your nightmares."

    I huffed before glancing his way. He smiled softly as he finished the check-up, "I'm not saying you won't become used to, you know..."

     "Yeah?" I pressed, glaring at his back.

     He sighed, "I'm just saying that ... hm..."

     "What?" I dared him.

     "You've, well, you're more than ready to start out on your own. It's just getting around, and I know that you can--"

     "Yeah," I groaned, "if only my legs would work..."

     Mr. Ashley was shaking his head, "I've been reviewing your medical records, and your legs are functioning well, beyond expectations even."

     "So it's a mental block?"

     "From what I can see, after the accident, your sense of balance has been thrown off from concussive damage to your vestibular system, but that's not the point. You need to, huuu...."

     "Get out."

     "Well, get around. You've made so much progress in three years. If you just--"

      "Give up?"

      "No," he bit his lips nervously before resigning, "I'm sorry. Maybe you need a little more time."

      My breakfast was left on the nightstand next to the hospital bed, but my guide for the day was absent, so, through small bites of hospital food and long hours of wasting daylight, I considered my options. I could get out, but I had to go by wheelchair. I could continue to practice, but I would be using valuable resources which could be used in case of another ghostly attack. I could start exploring this world, but I would be pinned down, stumbling through town if I tried to get out of the seat. I could keep training my body to remember how to walk, but how long would it take?

    The knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts.

    "Come in."

     Valerie entered from the other side, "Hey, I mentioned to you about a cane, but not many of those are around at the hospital so I looked for one."

     "You didn't have to."

     She pushed her hair behind her shoulder, saying, "I know, but I want to be there for you."

     I fought through the clot in my esophagus, having a sense of where she was coming from, "Thanks, Valerie."

    "It's my grandpa's, and, well, you know, I thought it might be sophisticated for a gal like you."

    Without thinking, my lips tugged upward, and I nodded, "Sure. Might as well try it out."

    Valerie seemed surprised for a moment before handing the cane to me. It was wooden, a white cream almost bone handle which beneath a triangular geometric pattern became a maple wood which knotted and twisted down to its base. I ran my fingers over its glossy surface.

    "Thanks, Valerie. It's beautiful."

    "Might as well try walkin' with it, ya know," she snorted.

     I looked from it to the level floor and carefully placed it down before lowering my feet to the ground. Taking a deep breath, I leaned forward as a I shifted my weight and test the cane's support. It felt sturdy enough; the dizziness had passed. I ventured the first step, but my world began spinning, and my legs tripped over themselves. I fell forward, straight into Valerie.

    "I was afraid of that," she spoke above my head, "but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it."

    I righted myself, looking down at the cane for a long moment, and steeled myself. Watching the floor carefully, as I reached forward with the cane, I took another step. Valerie stood close by just in case. One foot came down, heel to toe. I shifted my weight to finish the step, but dizziness rushed through until I felt a warm hand against my own. My vision cleared well enough for me to slide my foot up and across the floor to a new position next to my other one. Valerie walked with me as I lifted the cane to be joined with my feet.

    I stood carefully but steadily, an half-foot away from the safety of my bed. Valerie let go of my hand and sighed through relief, "I'm glad we made it."

    Wobbly standing, I breathed, trying not to throw off my sense of balance, "Who'd have thought that walking would take so much effort?"

   Valerie shrugged, "Wouldn't know, but it's progress, isn't it?"

   I smiled, giving a slight nod.

   "Look at you."

   "What?" I asked careful to shift my weight so that I could face her.

   "I think that's the first time I've seen you smile."

  With my free hand, I touched my lips, but quickly retorted, "I've smiled before."

   She snorted, "Not like that. I think you'll confidently go out there to explore this crazy world of ours."

    Glancing at the door, I sighed, "I've got to make the door first."

     "We've got your back."

      I looked up to see Dr. Camden on the threshold of Room 314, her arms cross while an hardy grin adorned her face. Mr. Ashley was peeking his head over her shoulder, a small smile playing on his lips.

     "Dr. Camden!"

     She huffed in good humor, "If you're determined to re-learn how to walk just like you were determined to re-learn how to ride a bike, I'll make sure to hold the door for you."

    I grinned at the memory before situating myself so that I was facing the door. Valerie stood close at hand as I continued my first steps in what felt like forever. If I imagined the cane like Valerie's reached out arm, the spinning was less overwhelming. While focusing on the floor eased the dizziness, I picked Dr. Camden's crooked nose as my focal point so that I had some awareness of my surroundings.

    By the time I made it to the door frame, my legs felt wobbly. Dr. Camden cleared the door so that I could lean on the frame as a fresh wave of dizziness swept over me. Maybe it was exhaustion. When I looked back, my bed was two yards away. I breathed out, shutting my eyes for a moment of relief. That had been so far, but I couldn't stay here. When I looked, Dr. Camden's grin had turned into an easy smile, and Mr. Ashley's was alighted with concern. Valerie was close by, "Are you ready to keep goin'?"

    I had to keep going. I had to keep moving. I wouldn't be helpless anymore. I nodded; I couldn't stay here. Glancing down at the cane once more, I moved it into position as I shifted my weight forward, but stopping short and stumbling.

    "Are you alright?"

    "Jasmine!"

    "Where, are the stairs?" I asked after righting myself.

    All three of them surrounded me to make sure that I was alright before Dr. Camden snorted, her arms crossed again while Mr. Ashley rubbed his eyes. Valerie was trying not to grin too hard while asking, "You want to take the stairs?"

    "Yeah," I said matter-of-factly, "How else am I going to get to the first floor?"

    "Did you forget about the elevator?" Mr. Ashley offered.

     "Oh," I admitted, "right. I never liked the elevator, but I suppose I won't be hopping down stairs anymore."

      "Hoppin'?"

      "No, as your doctor, I strictly prohibit you from running, hopping, or skipping down stairs. For the present time, I might even say that stairs are generally off limits."

      I shook my head slightly before smiling ruefully, "I'll take that into account."

       "The elevators are just down the hall, Ms. Fenton," Mr. Ashley directed me, pointing ahead of me while he smiled lightly.

       "Noted. I'm off to the races."

       "I'll take her from here, doc. Thanks for ev'rithin'."

      Dr. Camden and Mr. Ashley shared a smile while she said, "It was our pleasure."

       The two began walking down the hall, returning to their duties when I hollered, "Thank you so much. For everything!"

      "Of course, Ms. Fenton," Mr. Ashley grinned.

      "Don't forget to come back for a check-up in a week," Dr. Camden called after us.

       After a perilous trek to the elevator, a short respite in the elevator, and a pit stop at the receptionist desk where I scheduled my next appointment, I managed the last leg of my journey. The glass panel doors slid open of their own accord, and I was left stunned by the happenstance.

    "Come on," Valerie was grinning, "You'll get used to it."

    I nodded vaguely before stepping out into the afternoon sun shining high above us as the scattered clouds sailed overhead lazily.

    Bubbly excitement built up in my chest, I might have leapt for joy had it not been for the walking stick which I held in a vice grip. Nevertheless, I stumbled which brought my vision down to the town below. It was well beyond my wildest dreams.

    "I'll show you around town as we go, but right now I'm starvin'. You?"

     The growl in my stomach was a good enough sign for both of us. Valerie supplied, "Let's stop by the Nasty Burger before going to headquarters."

    I glanced around as we began walking, being struck by the vast array of hanging lights, and sighed through a smile, "I guess some things never do change."

     Valerie smiled lightly, "It's the small things in life that make the end of the world bearable. Christmas is just one of those things: sharin' presents like one big happy family, well tryin' ta spread happiness and joy wherever we can."

We are out of the hospital. Speaking of which, I'd love to hear any feedback about my take of the hospital experience. While I didn't do any massive research into how the recovery and therapy would work, I tried to run with what I'd heard or read about or what felt right to a particular scene.                                                                                                                                                                                          The last lines of dialogue are in celebration of Christ's Incarnation. Merry Christmas to you all! Wishing you joy and peace in this season and the coming year.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 760 16
Jason has been watching over his brother for years. After saving him from there parents cruelty, Jason is alone with his parents...until Batman take...
23.6K 709 20
Jack makes a time machine, one that everyone is sure won't work, soooo.... why is Danny, Sam, Tucker, Jazz, Dash an Paulina in the future? and more...
1.9K 52 53
Set immediately after the end of the series, Danny's life has become entirely more complicated now that he's revealed his secret identity to the enti...
3.2K 80 18
Yes, it's Pitch Pearl, but this AU is mine, so yeah. Warning- Mentions of suicide, abuse, neglect, and death. So, don't like, don't read! Anyway, ont...