Against Everything Else

By muse365

"Come on now, we're just having some fun.'' My body felt frozen and the tears started to fall as I thrashed a... More

1. The Alley Way
2. Stuck with You
3. You're an odd little one
4. The Circle Crest
5. Get Your Fucking Hands off of Her
6. Please Stay
7. It looks better on you
8. Butterfly
10. Insomia
11. Soft Spot
12. Cared For
13. Just a Friend

9. Suit Jackets

33 1 0
By muse365

Avery's POV

It was late past midnight when I pried open the large double doors that sat at the front of the mansion. It was a colder night than usual and all I had to keep me warm was a thin jumper that I had found at the back of the closet.

After the confrontation with the bar girls earlier, I found comfort in my little bedroom. I had even skipped dinner, telling Zo that I wasn't hungry when she stopped by. She hadn't seen the bruise that stained my jaw. I  had made sure to keep my face burrowed underneath the blankets the whole time.

Because of the incident last night, I was told I didn't need to return to the bar anymore, they were going to find a new job for me to do around here.

I'd save them the trouble and just remove myself quietly from the picture.

The door shut quietly behind me as I turned to face the familiar cold night air. My eyes searched for the stars, like it always did. Tonight was a beautiful night to go home.

To my luck, there were only two large male figures standing outside, cigars in hand. Their backs were turned from me as they chatted away quietly. I waited behind one of the stone marble figures that stood on the side of the front porch, perfectly hidden from view.

I watched as they started to walk away, their backs still facing me as they slowly disappeared from my sight.

It was only when they were completely out of my view when I got out of my spot and began sprinting towards the large gates that barricaded the entire property.

My heart thumped heavily against my chest as I ran, the little rocks crunching loudly beneath me.

I could start to see the faint outline of the road outside of the gates when I heard heavy footsteps running behind me.

"OI! OI" I picked up my pace, too afraid to look behind me as the footsteps gradually became louder and louder. "Stop right now or I'll shoot!"

"One more step I dare you!" Another voice yelled out.

Immediately my footsteps halted and my hands flew up in defence. I eyed the gate sadly, my back still facing the men behind me. I was so close.

So so close.

"Turn around NOW!!" Slowly, I turned around to face them, my hands still trembling in the air as my chest heaved up and down from all the running.

Just like I had thought, there was a group of men, all dressed in dark suits, with guns in their hands, all aiming at me.

"Avery?" Luca's familiar voice cut through the crowd, "Guns down! She's a worker here!"

Thank fudge brownies.

Luca's tall frame appeared from the group of men, who had now lowered their guns confusedly. He strolled past them and came face to face with me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and bent down to look at me with wide worried eyes.

"Fuck Avery we could have killed you!" He turned me side to side, inspecting me quickly, "Are you hurt? Please for my sake tell me you're not hurt!"

"I'm okay," I smiled softly, my heart still pounding against my chest, "I promise."

"What were you doing out here anyways? It's so late." He finally let go of me and stood back to his full height making me tilt my head to look up at him.

"She was trying to run away." Dante appeared beside him suddenly. He placed his gun back into the safety of his back pocket as he looked at me with a small smile.

I watched as he turned around and nodded his head towards the men, dismissing them, before turning his attention back towards me.

"Is that what you were really doing?" Luca replied. Even in the darkness I could see the disbelief that was written on his face.

"Come on let's talk inside, it's too cold out here and she's barely wearing enough." Dante turned around and started to walk back towards the mansion.

Luciano took off his suit jacket and placed them around my shoulders, making sure to tuck the sides into my arms to keep me completely warm and cozy. He placed an arm around my shoulder and proceeded to walk with me.

"Can't get you sick now can we?" He smiled down at me as we approached the front door, "Want some hot cocoa?"

I smiled back and nodded. I was too cold and hot chocolate does sound good.

I'll run away when it's less cold I guess.

"Can you put a fluffy marshmallow in it too please?"

He chuckled as he directed me towards the stairs. I've never been up these stairs before, Zo had told me it was strictly off-limits for bar workers.

"Only the fluffiest fluffy marshmallow for the prettiest girl." He winked at me at me before coming to a complete halt in the middle of the stairs. His hand flew off of my shoulder and slapped against his mouth as he looked at me with wide eyes.

It looked like he had just seen a ghost.

"Jesus Avery, what the fuck happened to your face?!" At that, Dante also stopped in his tracks and turned around from where he was to look at me. Since it was dark outside they wouldn't have been able to see the bruise covering the sides of my face. Now that we were inside, where it was brightly lit, the purple colouring must have stood out a lot.

"Shit Avery!" He jumped a few steps to reach us and looked at my jaw. "Did someone do this to you?"

"I-" I didn't even know her name and if I were to tell them the truth, what would happen to her?

These men seem to always resort to shooting someone. If I told them it was her, would they shoot her? That would mean someone's life would be in my hands. And if they shot her, she'd barely be able to survive, which means I practically murdered someone.

"Earth to Avery?" Luci waved a hand in front of my face, jolting me back a little in shock.

"I fell." I brought a hand to my cheek, using it to cover the bruise. "Can I have that hot chocolate now?"

"Oh yeah, I need a drink too, tonight's been rough." With that he carried on walking with me and Dante trailing behind.

"I know you didn't fall." I looked up at Dante as we continued to walk down a long corridor. "Who did this you Avery? You can tell me, you know that right?"

I sighed, my hand that was resting on my cheek fell to the hem of Luci's suit jacket. My fingers fidgeting with it slightly.

"I'm okay, I fell when I was outside," I looked at him this time, "Really."

"Hm," He went in front of me and opened the door, making sure to lean against it to give me room to walk in, "I don't believe you, but I won't push it."

"Thank you." I gave him a small smile and quickly ducked past him. 

My mouth fell agape as I looked around the room.

The floors were covered in a pearly white marble tile, with elements of thin gold detailing. A set of black couches sat on one side of the room, a matching black glass table in between them. On the other side of the room was a small bar, with cases of wine, liquour and all sorts of colourful bottles.

"Nice aye?" Luciano winked at me from the bar and then continued to rummage through the cabinets.

"You can sit Avery." Dante walked past me and smiled, a glass cup of brown liquor in his hand as  placed himself down on the velvet couch.

"Oh" I pulled the suit jacket closer towards me for a second and sat myself on the couch opposite to him, my eyes still admiring the beauty and craft of the room.

Luca walked over towards us and handed me my cup of hot chocolate, and just as promised, a fluffy marshmallow floated on top.

"Thank you Luci!" He smiled at me and plopped down beside Dante, a cup of brown liquor in his own hand.

These men and their brown liquor honestly.

Dante cracked up, almost spitting his drink out as he looked at Luca, who only groaned in response.

"I'm gonna start calling you Luci too." He threw his head back laughing maniacally.

"Does no one call you Luci?" I looked between the two men, eyeing them worriedly. Did I say the wrong thing?

"They all call me Luca love," he groaned and leaned back against the sofa, his arm resting against the top of the couch. "But you, you can call me Luci, no one else."  He looked at Dante, a finger pointing at him accusingly "No one ELSE."

Dante still cracked up beside him.

"Not a fucking word Dante." He glared at his friend his cup tilting in his hand as he moved towards the brunettes face. "Call me Luci and I'll cut your dick off while you're asleep."

I looked away from the two, finding my hot chocolate to the be the most interesting thing in this room all of a sudden.

"It'll still be bigger than yours." Dante replied cockily just as Luca hit the back of his head. They continued to bicker, hitting each other playfully here and there.

I just watched them amusingly. It was a very interesting sight to see two grown men fighting like kids. Though I'm certain that if things were serious, they'd be physically hurting each other by now.

Or dare I say, their guns would have been out of their pockets by now. The men here always seemed to be threatening others with it.

I must've been staring too long at the pistol that Dante had placed on the table earlier, cause he pushed Luca away from his face and leaned back against the couch, one leg crossing over the other.

"You're really lucky it was us that caught you leaving, anyone who goes near those gates besides the shuttle busses, get shot instantly." He took a sip of his drink, scrunching up his face at the bitterness of it before speaking again, "For security reasons, only Vince's cars, our cars or the busses can exit through the gates. I thought Zo would have told you this already."

"You mean I can't leave?" I put my hot chocolate down and looked at the two men across from me.

"Not unless you're on the shuttle bus or with one of us, no." Dante explained again, looking at me apologetically.

"It's just for safety Avery, you'll understand that soon enough." Luciano replied after fixing out his hair that was violently ruffled by Dante.

"Why can't you tell me now? Why can't I just go home?" I was getting upset, today and the day before, there was just so much happening. So much for me to process.

"This is your home now Avery, Vince will explain it when he thinks you're ready to know." Luca picked up his glass, taking a big gulp as he did.

"What does that even mean?" My voice wavered frustratedly.

"Did someone threaten you? Is that why you want to go home again?" Dante interrupted, his body now sitting upwards again as he thought harder, "Is that why you were running away?"

The door threw open with a loud bang, startling me.

"That fucking bastard lasted longer than I thought." His voice caught the attention of all three of us. He was dressed in a suit again, and this time his fist was bruised and bloodied. Behind him was Antonio and Niccolo, who froze as soon as they spotted me.

'' And where the fuck were you two-" His warm eyes finally met mine and a glimpse of confusion washed over his rough features. It was quickly replaced by worry as he approached me, walking over with long fast strides, cupping my face in his hands as soon as reached me.

I winced at the touch, my bruise was still so fresh. Instantly his grip on my face softened, as he moved my head side to side, expecting it. I watched as his eyebrows furrowed, and the thin lines on his forehead began to crinkle up.

"Who did this to you." His voice was angry. That I could tell.

But his facial features held nothing but concern.

I opened my mouth to reply but Luca cut me off before I could even say anything.

"She fell." He took a sip of his whiskey, scrunching up his face just like Dante had done earlier.

"What sort of fall would bruise her whole jaw like that?!" Vincenzo whipped his head back towards Luca, glaring at him. His hand still resting on my cheek gently.

"She told us she fell," Luca stated a matter of factly.

"And you believed that?" He looked at the blonde in disbelief, letting go of my cheek to reach for the pillow beside me and threw it at Luca, who fell back against the couch with a soft "ooft".

"You're a fucking idiot Luca." He was crouching down so that he was meeting me eye to eye. His face was just inches away from mine and I could feel his breath brushing against my cheek every time he opened his mouth to talk. The lighting didn't help my situation either, because those dark hazel eyes had never looked so immensely beautiful.

He turned his gaze back onto mine, this time, placing his tattooed-covered hand on the top of my thigh gently. "Who did this to you, Avery?"

My name rolled off of his tongue so perfectly that swirls erupted inside my stomach. How did he make such an ordinary name, that I had heard all my life, sound so delicate and pretty?

My name sounded so foreign.

I averted my gaze towards where his hand was resting, unable to look him in the eye anymore after that. " I fell when I was taking a stroll outside."

His fingers found my chin and titled it upwards so that I was forced to stare back into those hypnotising eyes again.

"I thought I told you I don't like lying." He removed his hand from under my chin to reach for a strand of my hair, tucking it behind my ear ever so gently . "Someone did this to you. Tell me who."

His voice was like butter on a warm piece of toast.

It was warm and gentle, and it melted against my ears every time he spoke.

Before him, I didn't even know something like that could even be possible.

He gave me a firm squeeze when I remained quiet. By now, Antonio and Niccolo were seated on the other couch, a drink in their hand while they watched our interaction.

"I don't know." I wasn't lying, I didn't know who they were, other than the fact they work in the bar.

He let out a sigh, taking his hand off of my thigh as he straightened up to his full height. The warmth of his touch disappeared quickly along with it. His eyes drifted onto the suit jacket that was sitting comfortably on top of my shoulders.

Within seconds, it was tossed back to Luca, hitting him smack bang in the face, which again made him grunt in response.

I looked up at Vince with wide eyes, confused by his sudden aggression. In a swift motion, he took off his own suit jacket and placed it over me without saying anything.

"Can we stop throwing things at me please?" Luca complained, chucking his jacket on the other side of the couch.

"If you stop being a dumbass then yeah." Niccolo replied laughing.

"What the hell did I do but?" Vince didn't answer him, instead, his large hands grasped onto my own, pulling me up from my seat and proceeded to walk us out of the room leaving the four men behind.

"Luca's now gonna be called Luci by the way.'' I heard Dante's voice as I trailed behind Vince through the hallway.

"Shut the fuck up Dante!"

...........................................................................................

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

629K 14.7K 30
Valentina Devlin, known to be difficult and an insanely hard-to-get. From day one, she's only had two things on her mind. Getting recognition from he...
Intoxicating By Nani🦋

General Fiction

255K 4.2K 48
Rosalina, 24 year old whose family was just killed by her abusive Fiancé, escapes to New York where she gets sent to live with old best friend and Ma...
1.1M 36.1K 48
BOOK 1 MATURE CONTENT 18+ Read at your own risk I slowly lifted the thin long sleeve over her head and she sat up a little in the process to help me...
24.4K 451 42
"Lorenzo", I whisper when he pulls me against him, I place my hands on his bare chest to keep some space. "What are you doing?", I whisper - yell at...