Drarry Drabbles

By SettleDown1D

Various Drarry one shots I come up with that don't fit in with the storylines of my full length Drarry books... More

Welcome!
Requests
Detention
Pale Present
Headstrong
Freezing Friends
Hell Yes
Sleepy Cuddles
Oblivious
Valentine's Day
Youth
Demanding Diva
Graduation
Pretty
Halloween
One Date
Lonely With Me
Written All Over Your Face
Invisible String
Harry's Birthday Wish
Quidditch Qualms
Quidditch Qualms 2
Halloween Horror Nights
Flowers on the Grave
Guarding Your Heart
Make the Friendship Bracelets
Social Casualty
Social Casualty Part 2

Enchanted (Drarry's Version)

1.7K 84 165
By SettleDown1D

Harry Potter liked to think he was an easy going guy, but there were certain things that annoyed him to no end. Currently, his biggest annoyance was the Ministry's upcoming gala. His public appearances were few and far between, but he was never one to turn down charity. That's how he found himself lamenting over his wardrobe choices.

The dress robes that he did have no longer fit, and the last thing he wanted was to go traipsing about through Diagon Alley looking for new robes. Instead, he decided that a muggle tuxedo would be his best option. He thanked Luna for hosting random themed parties requiring him to buy new clothing that actually fit him. 

"Harry, are you home?!," Ron called, following the sound of the floo flaring up.

"Bedroom!"

"What are you up to? Ah, getting ready for the gala then?"

"I am," Harry replied with a sigh. "Are you wearing dress robes or a tux?"

"Dress robes. Hermione and I are matching," Ron replied with a bright grin. "You're going for the tux then?"

"It's the only thing that fits," Harry admitted sheepishly.

"How you can work for the Ministry and not have a singular pair of nice dress robes is beyond me."

"Shut up and help me pick a tie will you?"

Upon arrival, Harry was happy to find that he wasn't the only one dressed in muggle formal wear. The last thing he wanted was to stick out even more. He already felt naked without his signature glasses on. 

Harry's best disguise was simply himself. The patented Harry Potter image was messy hair, glasses, his scar, and loose, often tattered clothing. When Harry actually took care in his appearance and concealed his scar, he was unrecognizable. No one would believe that the curls he sported while he was out were natural. They still stared, but not because he was Harry Potter, which was an improvement.

His eyes wandered the gala, and he nodded at Ron and Hermione on the dance floor. All Harry wanted was for the night to be over. He had been at the Ministry earlier, aiding in the set up and allowing himself to be photographed to help boost attendance numbers.

There I was again tonight
Forcing laughter, faking smiles
Same old tired lonely place

His laughter was forced, his smiles faked, and he was exhausted. However, the more people that spent money on tickets and the open bar, the more money that was donated to worthy causes. He could deal with that if it meant those in need received the help they were entitled to.

Walls of insincerity,
Shifting eyes and vacancy

Throughout the night, many people had approached Harry, trying to get him to dance. He refused, playing the part, encouraging them to buy drinks and pushing his suitors off onto each other. His gaze swept the room yet again, but paused on one face he hadn't noticed before.

Vanished when I saw your face
All I can say is it was enchanting to meet you

The man looked up at Harry, then glanced around. When he found that Harry was looking intently at him, he smiled shyly. Draco tilted his head, analyzing Harry.

Your eyes whispered, "Have we met?"
Across the room your silhouette
Starts to make its way to me

There was something in the other man's gaze, and Draco felt drawn to him. It was familiar, and Draco leaned into the pull. Before he knew it, he was crossing the dance floor to stand in front of the other man.

The playful conversation starts
Counter all your quick remarks
Like passing notes in secrecy

"Can't find anyone willing to be stepped on for a dance?," Draco asked teasingly.

"Your boots look like they could hold my weight."

"I do love this song."

"Would you like to dance?," Harry asked, extending a hand.

And it was enchanting to meet you
All I can say is I was enchanted to meet you

"I'm honored that I'm your first choice of dance partner."

"My only choice of a dance partner," Harry corrected. "I trust that you'll lead?"

"As long as you follow."

Harry was absolutely taken with the man before him. He was witty and matched all of Harry's remarks with his own that were just as, if not more, clever.

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

One dance was more than Harry thought he would have, and he was pleasantly surprised that the other man stuck by his side throughout the night. They talked, they laughed, they flirted, and it was so easy. Harry had actually blushed due to the other man's comments, and he relished in making the man's cheeks turn a delectable shade of pink in return.

The lingering question kept me up
2 AM, who do you love?
I wonder 'til I'm wide awake

"Are you seeing anyone?," the other man asked suddenly.

Draco knew things between him and Weaslette had ended, but she was still around. He needed to be sure.

"Why, are you trying to kiss me?," Harry replied with a teasing smile. "I'm seeing you right now. That's all that matters."

And now I'm pacing back and forth
Wishing you were at my door
I'd open up and you would say, "Hey,
It was enchanting to meet you,
All I know is I was enchanted to meet you."

Draco wished it was only that easy. What if he did kiss the other man? He was under a glamour and having the time of his life. Would it really be so bad?

"And if I was trying to kiss you?," Draco asked boldly, making up his mind.

"Then I'd ask why you're so far away sweetheart."

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
This night is flawless, don't you let it go

The kiss was everything that Harry thought it would be. Despite his appearance, he felt seen. The other man pulled away, fingers grazing his lips as the countdown to midnight started.

I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

"I have to go," Draco declared, pulling away from Harry's embrace.

"Don't go!"

This is me praying that
This was the very first page
Not where the story line ends
My thoughts will echo your name
Until I see you again

With one last longing look, Draco made his way swiftly through the crowd. Harry knew if he let him go, he surely wouldn't see him again. He followed after the enchanting man, pushing his way through the crowd.

These are the words I held back
As I was leaving too soon
I was enchanted to meet you

Draco had so much he wanted to say, but he didn't have time. He should have approached him earlier in the night, but he was scared after watching the man who he was now positive was Potter, reject everyone else who walked over.

Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

The man clearly had Auror instincts with the way that he pursued Draco through the crowds. Draco was being jostled from one place to the next, and didn't notice as he broke free of the crowd that his hair clip had also broken free from the confines of his hair.

Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

"I'm sorry," Draco declared, slipping out of Harry's grip and apparating away.

With the way the other man rushed away, Harry was hoping that he didn't have someone at home waiting for him. Harry could wait. He would wait. The quick flash of platinum hair was all he got as to the man's true identity. Or so he thought.

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

After the countdown ran out, Harry remained outside. Daring to glance back towards the doors, he saw something shimmering in the light. Bending down, he grabbed what he discovered to be the hair clip that had held the hair he so badly wanted to run his fingers through into place. Placing it into his pocket, Harry went home. 

This night is flawless, don't you let it go
(Please don't be in love with someone else)

Draco couldn't believe he had talked, laughed, and flirted with who was almost certainly Harry Potter, and they hadn't had a singular fight. No, they had kissed, and it was the best kiss of Draco's life.

I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone
(Please don't have somebody waiting on you)

Harry hummed to himself, twirling the hair clip between his fingers, thinking of the man he had spent the whole night with, the man he had kissed, pondering when he'd get another chance to experience the wonder of the night again.

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
(Please don't be in love with someone else)
I was enchanted to meet you

This was the fresh beginning with Harry that Draco had craved. Being in Harry's arms for a few hours was more than Draco could have ever hoped for. At the bare minimum he was hoping for some pleasant conversation, a bit of banter. But a night of dancing and only eyes for each other? A shared kiss goodbye? He was wonderstruck.

Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

Harry would make the other man confess if it was the last thing he would ever do. He couldn't pretend this night, and these blossoming feelings, had never happened. That kiss was everything to him.

Seemingly, Harry forgot that Draco Malfoy was a force to be reckoned with. It was like their dancing had continued back into the office, with Draco spinning and stepping just out of reach. Harry had half a mind to just stomp on his feet and make him pay attention to him and only him.

It had been a week, and Harry's patience was growing thin. He had a plan, and it was time to set it into motion.

"Hey Malfoy, are you free for lunch? I just received a new case, and I could use your insight. My treat," Harry invited, an eyebrow arched in a challenge.

Harry watched that look he's seen on Draco's face every day since the gala flash across his face before he schooled his features again.

"Only because it's your treat and you've admitted you're too incompetent to complete the case yourself."

"I'll let you have that one, only because I need your help."

The small smile on Draco's face lasted for a few moments, and Harry relished in it, immediately being brought back to that night, eyes unconsciously falling to Draco's lips before he tore them away. Harry led the way to the cafe that they frequented, being sure to open doors for Draco, who thanked him with a curt nod and a flicker of warmth behind his eyes.

"You're avoiding me," Harry declared, sitting back in his chair and looking at Draco.

"You're full of yourself," Draco corrected with an eye roll. "The world doesn't revolve around you Potter."

"You're right. If it did I'd still have parents," Harry shrugged, taking a sip of his drink as Draco choked on his own.

"What is wrong with you?," came Draco's hissed reply as the surrounding patrons looked curiously at their table.

"Since you've asked, I met this wonderful man at the gala last week, and he ran away from me."

Draco's face remained unreadable.

"If he knew you were Harry Potter I'm sure he wouldn't have run away."

"Honestly? I don't think he would have cared. It may be silly, but I feel like we really connected over a few hours. And I didn't step on him," Harry said proudly.

"You danced?," Draco asked incredulously.

That was a good way to cover his tracks, right?

"I had a wonderful teacher, you know. Beautiful too."

"How could you possibly know that? I assume he was wearing a glamour."

"He was. I could have dropped it if I really wanted to and he would have been none the wiser, but that feels like cheating and crossing boundaries. Besides, where's the fun if there's no chase?," Harry asked with what could only be described as an animalistic grin.

Draco felt as if Harry was picking him down to the bone. He spared a glance at his own hands to make sure he wasn't actually as transparent as he felt under Harry's strong gaze.

"Why would you chase someone you don't know?," Draco pressed, trying to make Harry see that this was a fruitless endeavor.

"On the contrary, I know him very well. I don't think you quite understand how things are for me. How hard it is to have real conversations when all people see is this," Harry continued, lifting his hair to show the scar on his forehead that cut through his eyebrow.

"I understand the appeal of being anonymous and trying to form connections where you are in control of the narrative. He was so witty, and our banter flowed so easily, and his smile was breathtaking. Like someone else I know," Harry finished pointedly.

"Yes Potter, you enjoy being bullied. I realized this when we were 11, please do keep up," Draco drawled, repairing his walls that Harry had significantly weakened.

"What about you?," Harry pressed. "What did you do?"

"I danced, I flirted, the usual."

He attempted an air of indifference, but Harry could see right through him. His eyes ignited with a new feverish light, and Draco knew he had somehow slipped up.

"Did you now? See a man that you caught your fancy?"

"No one special. Nothing like yours apparently. He's a figment of your imagination now Potter, it's best if you remember that. Cherish the one night that you did have. Many aren't so lucky."

"I consider myself very lucky to have gotten that one night. It, and he, have not left my mind for one minute since. Maybe you don't understand," Harry said uncertainly, hesitating as he continued on, "but I thought you may have. You said that I deserve to be happy. He made me happy, happier than I've been in awhile. And that kiss... it was something."

"You do deserve to be happy Potter," Draco said gently, wringing his hands together as he tried to find a new tactic. "I just think you need to find happiness within yourself, not through another person."

"But what if the other person brings out that happiness? Is that so wrong?," Harry asked as he paid for the meal.

"No, no I don't think so," Draco decided as they left the cafe.

"Anyway, thanks for having lunch with me, Malfoy," Harry said with a soft smile as he dropped Draco back off at his office.

"Wait Potter, we didn't even talk about the case!"

"Oh, you're right. We'll talk about it over dinner then."

Harry left Draco sputtering adorably at his desk and went back to his own with a grin. In the meantime, Harry set off to conduct a series of interviews.

Draco on the other hand, could not focus on his own paperwork. Just what exactly was Potter playing at here? Did he know? The other man was so dense, how could he possibly know?

"Because he knows you better than anyone else," the voice in his head supplied. 

Dinner was volunteered, but no location was even provided. Was Draco expected to go in his work robes? Absolutely not. If Potter wanted him, Potter could come and find him after work.

"Harry wants you, very much so, and he won't give up," the voice in his head supplied.

Just when had Potter become "Harry" in his head? The change had become gradual and it felt so natural that Draco was shaken to the core.

His mind had been made up to stay home after work, even though he had changed into an appropriate outfit. Besides, Harry was obviously- knocking at his front door... Biting his lip, Draco released it with a sigh as he opened the door.

"Potter," he greeted, wandering eyes betraying his casual greeting.

Harry had cleaned up well, and wasn't Draco a goner for the sight of him in that leather jacket of his. The smirk playing at the edge of Harry's mouth told him that Harry knew just as much, and Draco's eyes hardened at the thought.

"Shall we?," Harry asked, and Draco was about to tell him to sod off when he nervously extended an arm out to Draco, making his gaze soften.

"Let me get my coat."

The reply was too soft, too gentle, and Draco hated how quickly he folded. Begrudgingly, he accepted the arm Harry had offered, and Harry pulled him that much closer under the guise of closing Draco's door.

"Ready?

"Do I need any of my paperwork?"

"Huh?"

"To discuss the case," Draco slowly.

"Oh! No, I have some books and some uh... other books at home."

"Other books... right Potter," Draco said sarcastically.

With a grin, Harry pulled Draco into a side-along, and soon enough they were in front of Grimmauld Place.

"I hope you don't mind, I felt like cooking tonight."

"This is fine."

It actually was the complete opposite of fine, but Draco was a Malfoy and he would act like it, Harry Potter be damned.

"Can I take your coat?"

"I didn't even need a coat," Draco replied with a laugh, but he handed it to Harry all the same.

"The night is young," Harry replied with a shrug.

After hanging up Draco's coat, he led him into the kitchen. It was hard not to take note of Harry pouring Draco a glass of his favorite, very expensive red wine. Harry cooked much better than he danced, in the manner that his motions were so much more fluid and free. Draco found himself admiring that from his spot atop the counter.

"Are you making Mediterranean food?," Draco asked suddenly, eyes categorizing the ingredients.

"It's your favorite, isn't it?"

Draco's mouth opened and closed a number of times before he settled on nodding, not trusting his voice.

"Good. That's really good," Harry replied with a pleasant sigh.

They soon sat down for dinner, and Harry pulled out Draco's chair for him. A smirk playing at the edge of his mouth, Draco took out his wand so he could pull out Harry's chair for him. It was playful and not at all what Harry had expected from the other man, and he laughed in surprise.

"Why thank you," Harry teased as the chair moved to the table. "I hope you like it, this is my first go at Mediterranean food. If not, I have takeaway menus."

"I'm sure it's acceptable."

Harry watched nervously as Draco took the first bite, and the nervousness dissipated at the soft sound Draco released as his eyes closed.

"How dare you ruin my favorite restaurant! I'm not going to find their food to be good anymore."

"Maybe I just need an excuse to keep you coming back."

"I've accepted that we're stuck with each other at this point. Refusing to let each other die might as well have bonded us together. Besides, you've always been good at finding me so there's no use in hiding is there?

But this really is fantastic Potter, thank you. You didn't have to go through all of the trouble though. I would have helped you with the case anyway. I'm very proud of my work."

"And you should be. You're doing fantastic things Malfoy."

Draco blushed at the compliment, looking back down at his plate, and Harry knew he had him.

"How did your interviews today go?"

"Not much information on either front, but I'll keep looking."

"Any luck on your mystery man?," Draco asked, the question falling from his mouth against his will.

"He refuses to come forward and I don't know why."

"He's probably scared that you won't like him."

"Which is utter bullshit because I do like him."

"You can't know that," Draco pressed.

"I don't hate anyone that I work with," Harry said pointedly.

"How do you know he works with you?"

It felt like a stone had formed in Draco's stomach, and he put his fork down.

"The symbol we were all required to wear on our robes."

"There was a symbol?," Draco asked with a squeak.

"Yep. Have you not seen any pictures from the event? It was the Ministry logo, it appeared right on the shoulder."

"I try to avoid any reminders of the gala."

"You sound just like my mystery man," Harry teased, a knowing look in his eye.

"How would you even know if it was him?"

"Believe me, I would know. But, the real test is that he lost something and I am still in possession of it," Harry said smugly, leaning forward as he shared the secret.

Draco felt his face flush. His movements that night had been robotic, and he thought he had misplaced his hair clip in the process of scrubbing Harry off of him in the shower. He couldn't have dropped it when he made his escape.

"Potter, you can't just keep other people's possessions! You need to turn that into the lost and found! It has sentimental value!"

"Oh I can imagine that it does. It was quite beautiful too. Until he comes for it, it's safe in my possession."

"And what if he doesn't come for it?," Draco asked, trying to unclench his jaw.

"Then I guess I'm keeping it as a reminder of what could have been," Harry said wistfully.

"That's essentially stealing," Draco retorted, glaring at the man across from him.

"Maybe I'll use it myself, I think it could suit me. I've never owned anything half as nice. Or I could sell it but-"

"How dare you?! You can't just keep and wear other people's hair clips! It's a vintage heirloom inlaid with precious gemstones that has been in the family for centuries!," Draco yelled, standing up and pushing his chair away from the table in the process. "Each gem was harvested and polished by hand! The mold is a special one of a kind model that can only be found in the Malfoy vault, and no one is allowed to touch it for fear of ruining it so I can't make another one!"

Harry pushed his chair back as well with a smirk, stepping forward to Draco, whose chest was heaving at the admission. Collecting Draco's hair, Harry pulled the clip out of his pocket and secured Draco's hair back. Stepping back with a smile that could only be described as "fond", Harry quietly said "there he is."

"I, what?!"

"You're infuriating, did you know that?"

"What just happened?," Draco asked in confusion.

"I finally made you mad enough to confess to me. It only took two dates after a week of you avoiding me."

"Dates?"

"Lunch and dinner."

Only now did Draco really take in the atmosphere. The lights were dimmed, Harry had lit some candles, there were flowers on the table. He had initially been so worried about slipping up that he had been oblivious to the obvious.

"That was very Slytherin of you," was all Draco could muster.

"You'd be surprised at just how Slytherin I can be. Now, can we please continue our date?," Harry asked, pulling Draco's chair back out for him. "We need to talk."

"I suppose we do," Draco replied with a sigh.

"Why didn't you want me to know it was you?," Harry asked, not able to stop the hurt from seeping into his tone.

"Because I'm me and you're you," Draco replied simply.

"I know that I'm messy, and I can have a temper, and I'm loud and get myself into stupid situations because I act before I think but-"

"That's not what I meant," Draco silenced, raising a hand to stop Harry from continuing on. "Potter, you're too good for me. I was a death eater. I have a tiny flat, I'm condescending, I'm rude, I have no filter, and I push everyone away from me. I run when things get hard and I will ruin you. I've watched you talk about how great of a night you had for a week, but it was just a night. We were no one. There were no expectations it would last longer than a night."

"You were everything to me. You have always been everything to me Draco," Harry pleaded, grabbing his hand across the table. "Don't run from me, please."

"I don't know how to be happy," Draco admitted.

"I didn't know either, until you were in my arms."

Harry got up, flicking his wrist to play some music, and pulling Draco into him. It wasn't just any music, it was the first song they had danced to.

"This is me praying that our time spent together at the gala is the very first page of our new beginning, not where the storyline ends."

"My thoughts have always echoed your name," Draco admitted, letting Harry pull him closer. "You never leave my mind, and it scares me."

"Do you still want to leave?"

"I'm so scared that all of this will be taken away from me. No, I don't want to leave. I want to stay with you Harry, if you'll have me."

"I will always have you."

Harry dipped Draco low, and his hands found their way around Harry's neck. The way Draco was looking at him gave Harry goosebumps. There was hope, trust, and something that looked a lot like love.

"What's your policy about kissing on the first date?," Harry asked, righting Draco as the song ended.

"Are you forgetting that we kissed at the gala?"

"Our glamours kissed," Harry corrected. "I have my arms full of you, I want my mouth full of you too."

Draco turned that delectable shade of pink that Harry absolutely loved.

"I never kiss on the first date. Lucky for you Harry, this is our second date," Draco teased, closing the distance between them, this time as himself.

His self was good enough for Harry, and maybe one day, he would be good enough for him too.

I was enchanted to meet you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.4K 5.8K 16
After quitting the Auror department at the ripe old age of twenty two, Harry Potter finds a nice, uneventful job in an apothecary. At least, it's une...
59.7K 3.3K 25
Artist! Harry and Businessman! Draco Muggle AU. Or the one where Harry's fax machine buttons are so covered in paint that he mistypes his intended p...
19.6K 1.5K 16
[COMPLETED] You're a nurse who works as a nanny. You've been in love with Draco Malfoy your whole life, but you never had the courage to tell him wha...
16.3K 921 11
Professional quidditch player Harry Potter feels as if something is missing in his life. Maybe that something is Draco, and his son who assures Harry...