โ™ก ษดแด‡แด แด‡ส€ ๊œฑแด€ส ษดแด‡แด แด‡ส€ โ™ก

By sothisislove21

#1 in Never Say Never series โœ… โ› ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜บ? โœ โ› ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜บ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต? โœ โ› ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜บ ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ? ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ญ๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๏ฟฝ... More

~ c a s t ~
prologue : 'cary'
0 1
0 2
0 3
0 4
0 5
0 6
0 7
0 8
0 9
1 0
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 4
1 5
1 6
1 7
1 8
1 9
2 0
2 1
2 2
2 3
! UPDATE ! VERY IMPORTANT !
2 4
2 5
2 6
2 7
2 8
2 9
3 0
3 1
3 2
3 3
3 4
3 5
3 6
3 7
3 8
3 9
epilogue : 'wait'
! Announcement !

4 0

577 9 18
By sothisislove21

(Johnny's POV)

"Pretty woman, walkin' down the street, pretty woman, the kind I like to meet..."

Two-Bit drunkenly belted out Roy Orbison's lyrics as he followed me down the street, Dallas holding him upright with his arm around his shoulders.

"You're somethin' else, Two," Dally said, "how'd you make it this far in life?"

"Says you," Two-Bit shot back through slurred speech, "you's ain't no better than moi."

I shook my head. It wasn't even eight o'clock and he was already wasted.

"Hey, Johnnycakes," Dally called from behind me, chuckling, "whaddya say we drop this sack o' meat at home and get some milkshakes or somethin'? On me." He winked at me. "Then, we'll go by your girlfriend's house."

I turned around to face him. "Oh, c'mon, Dal, she ain't my girlfriend."

"Might as well be."

I hated when Dally was right.

When we finally got to Two-Bit's house, we dropped him on the couch where he told us goodbye before passing out almost instantly.

On our way to the Curtis', I thought about what Dal said, reminded of the fact that I still had no idea what I was going to wear to homecoming. I thought about asking him about it, but he'd be about as helpful as a turtle in a race.

Maybe I'd ask Soda.

~

(Cary's POV)

As the hours ticked by and Johnny still hadn't come home, I began to get worried. Did he decide to go back to his house to 'try again' in hopes that his parents were asleep? Go smoking in the lot to clear his head? Because of me?

I tried to read a book or something to keep my mind off of him, but by the time it hit eight o'clock, I shut the book and tossed it across my bed, getting up and walking towards my closet.

I opened it up to see the plastic-covered dress, the light barely pouring in to expose its glittery sky-blue beauty. I couldn't stop looking at it, and I had been thinking about it ever since I put it there.

Soda was just as awe-struck when I showed it to him. "You're gonna look beautiful," he said before turning to me and squeezing me in a bear hug, practically picking me up and spinning me around. "My baby sister, all grown up!"

When we were younger, he would always call me his 'baby sister'. I hated it for the longest time because I was only younger than him by ten months, so because I was the same age as him for two months every year, my young, little mind always thought that constituted to me basically being his twin.

I smiled at the memory. Now, I loved it whenever he called me his 'baby sister', and wished he did it more.

Finally, by nine o'clock, I heard the screen door squeal open and slam shut, followed by the stomping of boots.

I rushed out of my bedroom to see both Dally and Johnny at the door, and I drew back in surprise.

"Well, howdy, stranger," I said, furrowing my eyebrows at Dally, "long time no see."

Dally flopped down on the couch, Johnny giving me an apologetic look before going to the kitchen.

"You feelin' better, princess?" Dal asked, smirking as he spread out on the couch.

"My name is Cary," I warned, "and yes, I am. Thank you, jester."

He reared his head back, laughing. "I'll take it. Work for the royalty, get all their money, right?"

"Sure, Dal." I said sarcastically as I started to clean up a bit in the living room. Soda had stripped down to his underwear basically the second he got home, leaving all of his greasy clothes thrown all over the couch and armchairs.

Despite this, I couldn't help but smile. I missed joking around with Dallas, and it seemed like forever since we even spoke.

"I heard about you and Johnnycakes." He said suddenly as I plucked Soda's cap from the floor.

"Oh, brother," I groaned, "go ahead, get your jokes out now."

"Nah," he said, smirking, "I already did with Johnny. I'll stay quiet."

"You? Quiet?" I joked, matching his smirk.

I was one of the only people in the gang that could joke with him like this. I think he liked it. Or maybe he just didn't say anything because I was Darry and Soda's kid sister, or maybe because I was the only girl in the gang.

Either way, I think he had a good time.

"Watch your tone, young lady," he said, "or I'mma get Daddy Darry on you." He looked around and suddenly stood up, as if remembering something. "Where is ol' Darrel anyhow?"

"I'm right here," I heard Darry's voice and turned my head to see him come down from the stairs, his eyebrow cocked in a warning fashion, "and what did you just call me?"

Dally chuckled. "Nothin' buddy, I just got a question." He walked over to him and slapped him on the shoulder, leading him to the kitchen so they could talk privately. As their murmurs grew softer, I saw Johnny poke out from the kitchen, a cup of water in hand. Our eyes met for a second before I turned towards my bedroom. He didn't look like he wanted to talk yet.

But I was wrong, because, as I sat on my bed and opened my book again, I heard the soft pitter-patter of someone's feet against the carpet, and I looked over the top of my book to see him standing by my closet. I quickly got up to shut the door. I didn't want him to see it until the day of.

"What was that for?" He asked as I climbed back onto my bed.

"My dress is in there," I pointed towards the doors I just shut, "you're not allowed to see it yet."

"So...we're still going?" He asked, his big, brown eyes like a begging puppy.

"I guess so," I said, "if you're not still mad at me."

He hung his head and my heart dropped. I said that a bit more bitterly than I would've liked and I hoped it didn't hurt him.

"About that..." he started, walking towards my bed and sitting by my feet. He opened his mouth as if to say something before closing it again. He sighed and opened it again, but this time, he spoke. "Look, I'm sorry about what I said, I didn't mean it, I was scared and I—"

I shushed him. "It's okay, Johnny, I know you were scared—are scared." I corrected. "But I'm sorry also, for not telling them the whole truth."

He chuckled softly. "Well, apparently they already know."

"What?" I asked, shocked. How? Everything we did was just between the two of us, with no one else around. How did they know?

"Well, not everything," he corrected, "but they know about whatever it is between us." He looked at me as if expecting a response, but I was too shocked or too scared to answer. He continued. "They could tell something was up, I dunno..." he reached up and rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes darting around nervously.

I chuckled, finally breaking my silence. "Well, at least they know."

He looked at me, a slight glint of anxiety in his eyes. "What about everything else?"

I smirked and swung my legs off of the edge of the bed so that I sat parallel to him. "They don't have to know everything, do they?"

The evening sun from the window behind us cast a shadow over his face, yet I could still see his eyes glimmer with relief. "I guess not."

I stayed gazing at him for a few moments before I said something again, something I didn't mean to say, but had been thinking for a while. "You know, I never would've thought I'd be going to homecoming with you," I started, "I guess I'm just...nervous."

"About what?" He asked, setting his glass of water on the floor.

I looked at the carpet, reminiscing. "I went with Jonathan last year, Johnny. I know he's in jail, but I just...bad memories, I guess."

He took my hand gently, lacing his fingers between mine. Whenever I couldn't find the words, Johnny always understood. He always knew the right thing to do, but most importantly...

"I'll give you better memories. I promise."

...he always knew the right thing to say.

I looked up at him and he gave me a smile, his chocolate eyes as sweet as amber honey. I leaned into him, wrapping my arms around him silently. He hugged me back, running his fingers through the ends of my hair.

I sighed happily. In his arms, I felt comfortable and warm. I felt protected.

I felt safe.

I wanted to stay like that forever, and it seemed like he didn't feel any different.

"Cary," he said softly, breaking the peaceful silence, "we're not friends anymore, are we?"

I looked up at him, seeing his blushing eyes and couldn't resist but smile. "No, Johnny," I replied, matching his gentle tone, "we're more than that now."

After he gave me a smile, I rested my head back on his chest, and I smiled. They say money can't buy happiness, but I think I've found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that can.

~

The day of homecoming couldn't come fast enough.

But after days of planning and ironing out the wrinkles, it finally did.

Cassie and I had decided that Johnny and I would ride with her and David, and promptly after school on Friday, we took my dress to her house and we got ready. We did our own makeup, though I used some of Cassie's as I didn't have much. We did each other's hair; Cassie giving me a rose-braid updo and I to her a waterfall braid-crown.

I had felt confident up to that point, excited even. But, when I put on the dress that was supposed to make me even more so, I suddenly felt a pit in my stomach. My face dropped as I looked in the mirror, my voice falling silent.

I felt pretty. I was going with Johnny. Why was I nervous?

"What's wrong?" Cassie asked as she zipped up her own gown.

I stayed looking in the mirror in her bedroom, just standing there and staring at myself. "I..." my stomach felt queasy, "I don't know."

Cassie appeared in the mirror behind me, her glittery face filled with pity and her red lips curled into a forgiving smile. "You look beautiful, Cary." She assured me, straightening out the subtle ruffles along my back and collarbone. "Johnny's gonna think so too. You have nothing to worry about."

I sighed. "It's not that..." I twisted around in the mirror, searching for any redeeming quality that I hadn't already seen that maybe could make me forget this feeling.

Her eyes fell slightly, her smile still holding strong. "Jonathan is gone, Cary. He won't be there. You hear me?" She placed her hands on my shoulders and peeked over, meeting my eyes in the mirror. "Gone."

I turned away from the mirror and towards the bed, where I sat down and begrudgingly put on my wedges. I wanted to believe her, but she was only partially right. Jonathan was all but gone.

"Listen," she continued, "how long are you gonna let him rule over your life? You have something new. Something better."

"I know that, Cass,"

"Then let him go!"

"It's not that easy, Cassie!" I snapped. "You don't know what I've been through with Jonathan. He put me through Hell."

The room fell silent, and I wanted to break down in tears. I regretted ever opening my mouth. Cassie didn't deserve that, I knew she was only trying to help. She had a strange expression in her eyes, like she understood what I meant and felt bad for me but was hurt.

I put my head in my hands, hiding my face in shame and fear. I felt the bed sink beside me as she sat down, putting a gentle hand on my back.

"I know you've been through a lot," she started quietly, "but at least try to let him go for me. Just for tonight." She paused. "And if you can't do it for me, do it for Johnny."

In that moment, I wanted nothing more than a hug from him. She was right, he didn't deserve my bitterness about Jonathan raining on our parade tonight, the first time we formally have a date. The first night together. The night we finally come clean.

I lifted my head and looked over at her. I fought back tears as I didn't want to have to redo my makeup.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly. I wanted to say more, but didn't know what.

She smiled gently. "Nothing to apologize about, love." She embraced me, and I hugged her back. "I know you're just doing the best you can."

When we separated, we both stood up and I again looked in the mirror. I knew I couldn't let Jonathan go forever. Not tonight, anyways, but Cassie was right. I could forget for one night.

And with that, we were out the door, but not before Mrs. LeBlanc snapped a few photos before David showed up.

During the few days of planning, we had decided that Johnny and I would ride with her and David. Sodapop and Sandy had worked out whatever kinks in the road they had, and were riding with Steve and Evie. They all told us they would meet us there.

By the time David's 1954 Mercury convertible pulled up, Cassie had kept reassuring me that tonight was going to be the best decision I ever made. I knew she was right, but didn't truly believe it until I felt the comfort of Johnny's presence as he got out of the car.

I'll admit that it was the most handsome and sharp he had ever looked: a navy suit with a white button-up shirt with a matching bowtie. Simple, yet elegant. His hair wasn't greased back, but instead styled with gel and tucked behind his ears. The clothes didn't look trashy, but they definitely weren't brand-new. I wondered if Soda had brought him to the thrift shop he so frequently went to for fancy clothes.

Either way, I didn't care, and I was right: he did look great in blue.

Cassie and I both rushed towards them, and Johnny's eyes got wide and cheeks red as I approached.

"Wow," he stuttered, "you look...gorgeous."

I smiled, my own cheeks feeling flushed before I reached up and touched his shoulder with my hand. "You do, too." I planted a kiss on his cheek, making the both of us blush even harder. I caught a glimpse at Cassie and David giggling at us as they tumbled into the car. Johnny and I quickly followed suit and we were off.

I sat close to him the entire ride, my hand tightly gripping his. I couldn't stop smiling — it was as if all of my worries about Jonathan just flew away when I saw Johnny. I don't know what it was about him that comforted me so much, but it didn't matter. He was perfect for me because of it.

The four of us talked and laughed the whole way, and when we finally arrived, I started to feel nervous again, but a quick smile from Johnny and I felt better again.

I could hear the music before we even got inside. People were pouring into the gym, Socs in their limos and mustangs, Greasers in their beat-up Fords, and everyone in between all mingled about.

Johnny and I held hands the whole way, which felt admittedly weird. We had never shown any form of public affection until this point. It was always behind closed doors, with just us two. Yet, I enjoyed it. It was a sort of relief.

Soda and Steve weren't there yet, which was no surprise, so we found a spot in the back. Cassie and David wasted no time going towards the dance floor, but Johnny and I hung back for some reason.

Seeing all of those couples as if they had no cares in the world admittedly intimidated me. Looking at Johnny, I could tell he felt the same way.

Silently, we both agreed to sit on the bleachers. I told myself that we were just waiting for Steve and Soda to arrive.

Yet, when they finally did get there — Soda and Sandy in pink and Steve and Evie in red, the pit in my stomach still hadn't left.

We waved them over, and when we were within earshot, which was only a few feet because of the music, Soda cocked an eyebrow. "Why're y'all just sittin' here?"

Johnny and I looked at each other before I turned back to him. "We were...waiting for you."

Soda nodded. "Well, we're here, so go!"

Johnny and I glanced at each other again nervously. Steve and Soda were obviously taken aback by our closeness, but didn't say anything.

I stood up first and dragged Johnny by the arm towards the dance floor, feeling Soda and Steve's eyes on us the whole time.

Johnny seemed nervous. Not nervous in the way that I was, but distracted-eyes, sweaty-palms sort of nervous.

I took his hand in mine and started to lead him in a dance to Patsy Cline's "Walkin' After Midnight". I didn't know what he was so nervous about, but I hoped the dancing would ease him up a bit.

He picked up on the dancing right away, and I smiled at him. "Where did you learn how to dance, Casanova?"

He blushed. "Watching you."

I felt my own cheeks grow red. I couldn't count the number of times I would dance in the kitchen while cooking or cleaning, or in the living room tidying up. Half the time, I don't even realize I do it.

"Don't be embarrassed," he comforted, as if reading my mind, "you look great when you dance."

I chuckled, flattered. Nobody had ever even mentioned my dancing, so I always thought nobody noticed. But I was fine with it.

I looked him in the eyes. They were so dreamy, dark pools of chocolate that I just wanted to dive into. The low light of the gymnasium put a soft glow on his face, making him look almost angelic despite his nervous grin. And in that moment, I couldn't believe that I was the one dancing with him.

"I–I mean, not that you don't look great all the time, it's just that—"

Without thinking, I grabbed the sides of his face and kissed him, shutting him up and making the whole world go still for a second. People may have been looking, but I didn't care.

When we separated, I smiled and blushed, Johnny looking as red as a tomato. We continued dancing in peaceful, blissful silence. He smiled at me as if a relief had been lifted off of his shoulders, and a spark shone in his eyes as we danced. I suddenly forgot about Soda and Steve and everyone else. All I cared about was him.

After a few Elvis and Roy Orbison songs, it was time for the slow dance. My hand in his while my other was on his shoulder and his on my waist. He was a natural. I started to wonder if he learned everything he knew from watching me or if he just said that to flatter me. Either way, it worked.

We swayed together for what I wanted to be forever, and I eventually found my head resting on his chest. Yet, he carried on dancing.

"Cary," he finally spoke up quietly.

"Hmm?" I hummed, looking up at him.

He stayed silent for a bit, and we just gazed at each other. Finally, he spoke up. "Listen, I...I've never met someone like you. I almost feel like...like I don't deserve you." He paused again, taking a breath. "I want you to be my girl, Cary."

I smiled like a kid in a candy store. I didn't realize it, but this is the question I had been waiting for.

"Of course, Johnnycakes." I replied, my voice hushed.

And then I kissed him again. The first kiss we'd ever had as a couple — officially together. I felt like the happiest person on the world, as if I was floating on cloud nine. "And, if anything, Johnny, I don't deserve you."

I don't know when we came off of the dance floor, but we were the last ones of our group to retreat to the bleachers.

Soda had the biggest grin on his face, so did Cassie. Steve tried to look happy, but he looked more shocked than anything.

"Well, looky here!" Soda exclaimed. "Mister and Missus Homecoming Royalty!"

Johnny and I chuckled awkwardly. It felt relieving yet weird to have done what we just did, but I didn't regret a second of it.

"Aw, c'mon, don't be so bashful," he said, patting us both on the shoulders, "y'all was dancin' as if you were the only two people in the room."

"Surely it wasn't that good," Johnny joked passively.

"Nah," Steve interrupted, "it was good. It was great, man. I didn't know you had that in ya."

I didn't either, to be honest.

We spent the rest of the night by the drinks and snacks, and occasionally, I would drag Johnny onto the dance floor when a good song came on.

Except for one time, when pretty much everyone else went to dance, but Johnny and I were too tired.

After we had watched them in silence for a few minutes, Johnny turned to me. "You look gorgeous tonight, Cary." I looked at him, grinning. "I ain't a'woofin', you take my breath away."

"I'd say the same thing about you, Johnny Cade," I said, "but my breath has been taken away."

He blushed and I scooted closer to him, leaning my head on his shoulder as we sat in the corner of the bleachers. I didn't know what it was — the sugar rush from the fruit punch or the high of homecoming spirits — that made us say things like this. They were cheesy, I'll admit, but I loved it.

We were quiet for a few moments before I spoke up, turning my head to face him. "I think I love you, Johnny Cade."

He smiled. Not bashfully, but a genuine smile. "I know I love you, Caroline Curtis."

I smiled and kissed him for the third time that night. It felt natural, it felt right. And, as I sat there on the gymnasium bleachers, the music blaring around us and the careless couples dancing only ten feet away, I realized something. A month ago, I never would've thought I'd be kissing Johnny Cade. I never thought I'd be confessing my love to him. I never thought I'd be his girlfriend.

But, I guess that, by now, I should've learned to never say never.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's the final chapter!

Epilogue coming soon, stay tuned...

Love y'all. Stay gold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 1.9K 25
Jessica Jones moves to Tulsa, OK and has several adventures with The Outsiders gang. Along the way, she finds love with one of the guys while dealin...
24.4K 745 22
Reagan Tarly was looking for a normal day, nothing new. That day, her brother, Matt, decides to move to Tulsa, Oklahoma for better job opportunities...
15.4K 181 17
Warnings: .Smut/ mature language/ nudity/ heavy topics/ abuse/ toxic relationships .ALL RIGHTS TO S.E HINTON This is also my first time writing on W...
165K 5K 31
when ponyboy curtis is pushed into being the colored girls tutor the barriers of race break