A Parental Proposal

By BenitaADavid

Leah was never getting married. She was fat. And as society would have it, she was unacceptable. Those extra... More

Rather alone
Eric's promise
New mother
The first night
It fits
Week-iversary
The regret that follows
First family trip
Close proximity
A growing bond
Alone in the dark
A Vacay to remember
His helping hand
Sleepover
Changing dynamics
Something's cooking!
The talk
End of wallowing
Plus One

And then comes trouble

766 41 5
By BenitaADavid

Holidays were devastatingly over and Leah and the kids were back at school. Leah used to love the first day of the academic year. It meant meeting her new class, new kids and getting to know them.

Haley and Sally were now in 3rd grade and Leah was no longer their class teacher. She took some subjects for them but she wouldn't get to be with them the whole day.

That made her sad a little but she thought it would do them some good to be a little away from her. Maybe that'll help them see her less as a teacher and more as a parent.

Leah wouldn't admit it, but it bothered her that Haley and Sally still wouldn't call her mom or consider her a parent. They even accepted her parents as grandparents but she felt like she was still kept at hand's length. But she wanted to give them all the time they needed. It wasn't easy just changing mothers.

She decided she would concentrate on her new 2nd graders and worry about home back at home.

******

First week of school went by in a blur. New students and new bondings kept her busy. So it was for Haley and Sally too. She sat with them everyday after school and asked them about their day, their homeworks and how they are coping with their classmates.

Sally was getting a little better. She had two more friends that she now talked about often. The sleepover and everything helped. She still spoke less but looked less sad than before and smiled often.

Haley as always was having fun. She was the one who shared more details about class.

All was going good. Until now.

A woman stood by the staff room, looking at Leah. She looked very pretty, her hair tied in a messy bun and a little.bit of makeup on. She looked young to be a parent.

"Hi, I'm here to see my daughter."

"Hello!" Leah said. "May I know which class your daughter is in?"

"3rd grade. Sorry I don't know the section."

"Oh that's okay. I am not a 3rd grade class teacher but I take math and English for them. So I might know her. Her name, please?"

"Haley."

Leah didn't know if she heard her right.

"Haley? As in Haley Eric?"

"Yeah, that's the one."

Leah stood shocked for a second. It was Eric's ex wife standing in front of her. And why was she asking only for Haley?

Leah cleared her throat, the welcoming smile wiped off her face.

"This way, please."

She took her to Haley and Sally's class.

"Did you mean to see just Haley or Sally too?"

She smiled. "Aren't they a package deal? You ask for one and get both?"

Leah didn't know if she was trying to be funny but she sensed a bitterness in her tone.

She silently went into the class and brought both Haley and Sally out. Seeing their mom Haley ran to her and hugged her while Sally shyly followed her smiling.

She'd been their teacher for a whole year but had never seen their mom visit them. This was unusual and she didn't know if Eric knew she'd be visiting.

They had never discussed the situation. If this were to happen ever, was she supposed to let her see them? Or was she to call and check with him first. Damn she didn't even think about checking with him first. She was too shook by her sudden appearance that she couldn't think of anything.

What if she hurts the kids? Not physically, but emotionally? She hasn't been around for at least a year, as per what Leah knew. How would the girls take it, seeing their mom after so long? And why was she visiting them at school instead of talking to Eric and meeting somewhere where she could spend some time with them?

A zillion questions clouded her head, before she was brought back to reality with Sharon's question.

"So this is your father's new wife, huh?" She eyed Leah like she was trash. "Your new mama?" there was so much sarcasm in her voice.

"Yes," Haley said, still smiling and obviously not knowing her mother's spite.

"Oh, or should I say step-mama? You know how step mom's are, don't you Haley? Evil and terrifying!"

"Miss Leah's nice, but." Haley said sweetly and although Leah's heart melted at that, fear of what Sharon would tell them creeped up on her.

"They all are, at the beginning. I hope you stay strong and not let her evil mins ruin you."

"Excuse me!" Leah had to cut in. "They are kids! Whatever are you telling them?"

"Oh, I'm just warning my babies. I am afterall, their mother."

Yeah, their mother who left and didn't even bother to see them for the last year for all Leah knew. But she didn't want to say it out loud. It would only hurt Haley and Sally and Leah was not willing to take that risk.

"And I though Eric had better taste," she continued when Leah didn't speak. "I mean look at me, his first wife. But then he has settled for you? Although, it makes sense you see? He must have thought it best to marry someone ugly and with a low self esteem so she would feel indebted and would never leave. Good thinking, I must give it to him."

Leah's stomach churned. Tears prickled at her eyes and she forced them away. She would not let this woman get to her.

"Girls, it's time for your next class. Please go in," she said to Haley and Sally. They nodded, hugged Sharon again and went back to the class.

"And you," she looked at Sharon. "Does Eric even know you're here? I suggest you speak to him before waltzing in here to take to my kids."

"Your kids?" She smirked.

"Yes mine. You left. And when you did so did that title. I am here now. I take care of them and love them like you never did. So yes. They're my kids."

She scoffed bitterly. "I see why Eric chose you. You must be an emotional fool." She turned and started walking away.

"Next time, you're not meeting them without their father's consent!" Leah called from behind but she kept walking as if she never heard her.

Leah went back to the staff room and crashed in her chair. He heart was still racing and anger and pain were trying to come out in the form of tears. She bit her cheeks in an attempt to stop herself from crying, but she couldn't. Thankfully the staff room was empty.

After a few minutes, she stopped crying. She was still shaking a little but she wasn't crying anymore. She took out her phone and called Eric.

"Hello? Leah is this important? I have a meeting to go to in 5 minutes," he said hurriedly.

"Sharon was here," she said, her voice sounding feeble even to her own ears.

"What?"

"She was here to see the kids. I... I was too shocked to think clearly and let her meet them. It was brief and I asked her to check with you the next time she wants to visit the girls. I know I should've asked you first before letting her meet them today but I couldn't think. I was too dumbstruck. I'm so sorry Eric."

He was silent for a minute.

"Eric? Are you mad?" Tears filled her eyes again.

"Of course, Leah! How could I not be?"

She shut her eyes tight, letting the tears fall. He was right to be angry. She should have called him first.

"How dare she see them after ghosting them for so long? It's been almost a year and a half since she met them. What the fuck was she thinking?"

It was the first time Leah heard him curse.

"I'm sorry I should have called you immediately."

"It's not your fault Leah. I get it. She can be very intimidating, sprucing up on you like that. Did she say anything?"

Leah could still hear her words. 'He married an ugly and insecure woman.'
Leah cleared her throat. "Nothing important. Just mindless blabber," she said.

"Are the kids okay?"

"Yeah. They're fine. They seemed happy to see their mother."

She heard him sigh on the other end. "She's an asshole," he said. "Take care of the kids Leah. And thank you for managing the situation. We should be prepared for times like this. We'll discuss at home."

"Okay."

When he hung up, Leah braced herself tight. Sharon's voice kept ringing in her ears and she couldn't help but wonder if there was some truth to what she said.

*******

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 1.9K 15
"𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝑰 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂 𝒌𝒊𝒔𝒔? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓?" ••• "Only 5 months into this marriage, and we'll part our...
1.7M 90.1K 59
[FEATURED] Shruti never had marriage in her life plan. For her, it was, ❝Shaadi aur bacche, dusron ke hi achhe.❞ (Marriage and children benefit only...
1.5M 51.6K 77
She is Bubbly, He is Arrogant She is the ray of sunshine, He is full of darkness. This story about an plus size woman and an handsome man. Both are...
6.9K 448 13
♕♚ 𝗛𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗠𝗼𝗼𝗻, 𝗦𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝘁𝗮𝗿 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗲. ...