Sea Green Eyes

By ACourtOfStories

Cressida Lynn's life had been terrible, yes, but that was in the past. For once, her life was actually...goo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
A/N
Demigods & Magicians - Part One (Percy & Carter)
Demigods & Magicians - Part Two (Cressida & Sadie)
Demigods & Magicians - Part Three (Cressida & Sadie)
Demigods & Magicians - Part Four
Demigods & Magicians - Part Five
The Trials of Apollo - Part One
Trials of Apollo - Part Two
Trials of Apollo - Part Three
Trials of Apollo - Part Four
Trails of Apollo - Part Five
Trials of Apollo - Part Six
Trials of Apollo - Part Seven
Trials of Apollo - Part Eight
Trials of Apollo - Part Nine
Magnus Chase and the Ship of the Dead - Part One
Magnus Chase and the Ship of the Dead - Part Two
The Sun and the Star - Part One
The Sun and the Star - Part Two
The Sun and the Star - Part Three
The Sun and the Star - Part Four
The Chalice of the Gods - Part One
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Two
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Three
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Four
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Five
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Six
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Seven
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Eight
The Chalice of the Gods - Part Nine

Chapter 79

613 28 0
By ACourtOfStories

(A/N: This is the first chapter of the Blood of Olympus. Home stretch. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

Jason was old. He looked positively decrepit as his face was covered in spots, wrinkles and blue veins, his skin sagging with age.

He, Cressida, Piper and Annabeth were climbing a hill, the three girls dressed as lovely Greek serving maidens.

Jason glanced uphill. The summit was still a hundred yards above. "Worst idea ever." He leaned against a cedar tree and wiped his forehead. "Hazel's magic is too good. If I have to fight, I'll be useless."

"It won't come to that," Annabeth promised. She looked uncomfortable in her serving-maiden outfit. She kept hunching her shoulders to keep the dress from slipping. Her pinned-up blonde bun had come undone in the back and her hair dangled like long spider legs. Knowing her hatred of spiders, Jason decided not to mention that. "We infiltrate the palace," she said. "We get the information we need, and we get out."

Piper set down her amphora, the tall ceramic wine jar in which her sword was hidden. "We can rest for a second. Catch your breath, Jason." From her waist cord hung her cornucopia – the magic horn of plenty. Tucked somewhere in the folds of her dress was her knife, Katoptris. Piper didn't look dangerous, but if the need arose she could dual-wield Celestial bronze blades or shoot her enemies in the face with ripe mangoes. Annabeth slung her own amphora off her shoulder. She, too, had a concealed sword, but even without a visible weapon, she looked deadly. Her stormy grey eyes scanned the surroundings, alert for any threat. If any dude asked Annabeth for a drink, Jason figured she was more likely to kick the guy in the bifurcum.

Cressida did the same, her new sword hidden inside. Despite how much she'd not wanted to come with them, she was the picture of seductive danger. Her purple eyes had been changed to blue with Hazel's Mist seeing as their indigo colour was too well known, but the deep shade was still intimidating. Her dress hugged her body in a way that left little to the imagination, her leg peeking out through a slit in her dress. And despite how stunning she looked, and how not scared and blank her expression was, all of them knew how scared she was on the inside.

This was her first time leaving Percy's side since they got back from Tartarus. They all knew that Percy and Cressida had become unnaturally attached since they returned to the point where it was almost unhealthy – at least to everyone else but them. So, they'd convinced her to join them on this little quest saying that they'd need her if one of the spirits they were about to meet tried to possess them. Not to mention that if there was anyone that needed acting classes it was Jason - Piper had told her all about how the boy wore his thoughts on his face.

"Come here," Cressida said as she imbued him with a little bit of strength, making it easier for him to breathe and stand up a little bit straighter.

"You sure this is the right hill?" he asked. "Seems kind of – I don't know – quiet."

"The ruins are up there," Piper promised. "I saw them in Katoptris's blade. And you heard what Hazel said. "'The biggest –'"

"'The biggest gathering of evil spirits I've ever sensed,'" Jason recalled. "Yeah, sounds awesome."

As much as they'd love to stay far away from these spirits, the crew of the Argo II had a big decision to make. If they chose wrong, they would fail, and the entire world would be destroyed. No pressure.

Piper's blade, Hazel's magical senses and Annabeth's instincts all agreed – the answer lay here in Ithaca, at the ancient palace of Odysseus, where a horde of evil spirits had gathered to await Gaia's orders. The plan was to sneak among them, learn what was going on and decide the best course of action. Then get out, preferably alive.

Annabeth re-adjusted her golden belt. "I hope our disguises hold up. The suitors were nasty customers when they were alive. If they find out we're demigods –"

"Hazel's magic will work," Piper said.

"Positive thinking," Cressida breathed slowly as if she was trying to keep a handle on her emotions, which she was. She honestly couldn't remember the last time she'd had to use Castor's breathing techniques.

The suitors: a hundred of the greediest, evilest cut-throats who'd ever lived. When Odysseus, the Greek king of Ithaca, went missing after the Trojan War, this mob of B-list princes had invaded his palace and refused to leave, each one hoping to marry Queen Penelope and take over the kingdom. Odysseus managed to return in secret and slaughter them all – your basic happy homecoming. But, if Piper's visions were right, the suitors were now back, haunting the place where they'd died.

Jason couldn't believe he was about to visit the actual palace of Odysseus – one of the most famous Greek heroes of all time. Then again, this whole quest had been one mind-blowing event after another. Cressida herself had just come back from the eternal abyss of Tartarus, not to mention the intense separation anxiety and PTSD she was going through because of it. Given that, Jason decided maybe he shouldn't complain about being an old man. Not to mention the fact that Cressida was still giving him her strength after he kept complaining.

"Well ..." He steadied himself with his walking stick. "If I look as old as I feel, my disguise must be perfect. Let's get going."

And they continued climbing.

"Almost there," Annabeth said after a time. "Let's –"

BOOM! The hillside rumbled. Somewhere over the ridge, a crowd roared in approval, like spectators in a coliseum. He nervously met Cressida's eyes knowing that she was thinking about their fight in the actual Roman Colosseum just as he was. Neither of them were anxious to repeat that experience.

"What was that explosion?" he wondered.

"I don't know if I want to know," Cressida muttered.

"Don't know," Piper said. "But it sounds like they're having fun. Let's go make some dead friends."

"Oh joy," Cressida huffed.

And naturally, it was worse than they could've expected.

The ruins themselves weren't that impressive: a few stone walls, a weed-choked central courtyard, a dead-end stairwell chiselled into the rock. Some plywood sheets covered a pit and a metal scaffold supported a cracked archway. But superimposed over the ruins was another layer of reality – a spectral mirage of the palace as it must have appeared in its heyday. Whitewashed stucco walls lined with balconies rose three storeys high. Columned porticoes faced the central atrium, which had a huge fountain and bronze braziers. At a dozen banquet tables, ghouls laughed and ate and pushed one another around.

There were at least 200 spirits milling about, chasing spectral serving girls, smashing plates and cups, and basically making a nuisance of themselves.

They were also sacrificing statues of the gods to Gaia through a fountain that was spewing sand and that had been what the explosion was before.

"Any more statues?" the ghoul shouted to the crowd. "No? Then I guess we'll have to wait for some real gods to sacrifice!"

His comrades laughed and applauded as the ghoul plopped himself down at the nearest feast table.

Jason clenched his walking stick. "That guy just disintegrated my dad. Who does he think he is?"

"I'm guessing that's Antinous," said Annabeth, "one of the suitors' leaders."

"Oh, he was the one Odysseus killed with an arrow through the neck, right?" Cressida said and Annabeth nodded.

Piper winced. "You'd think that would keep a guy down. What about all the others? Why are there so many?"

"I don't know," Annabeth said. "Newer recruits for Gaia, I guess. Some must've come back to life before we closed the Doors of Death. Some are just spirits."

"Worst comes to worst, I might be able to get the spirits off their side," Cressida said.

"And onto ours?" Piper asked hopefully.

"Not exactly," Cressida said and they knew that it was wishful thinking.

"I thought you could only you're your powers on living things?" Annabeth said and Cressida took a deep breath.

"That was before Tartarus," she said. "There are manias here. Spirits of insanity. I'm the daughter of insanity. Even in their states, they should answer to me."

"Crazy spirits? Like what happened to Reyna's father," Jason asked and she nodded. "Is that safe?"

"Safer than having them on Gaia's side trying to kill us."

"She has a point," Annabeth said.

Piper tugged at her blue harpy feather. "Can they be killed?"

Jason remembered a quest he'd taken for Camp Jupiter years ago in San Bernardino. "Not easily. The ones with gaping wounds and the grey skin like Antinous, they're strong and fast and intelligent. Also, they eat human flesh."

"Fantastic," Annabeth muttered. "I don't see any option except to stick to the plan. Split up, infiltrate, find out why they're here. If things go bad –"

"We use the backup plan," Piper said.

Before they left the ship, Leo had given each of them an emergency flare the size of a birthday candle. Supposedly, if they tossed one in the air, it would shoot upward in a streak of white phosphorus, alerting the Argo II that the team was in trouble. At that point, Jason and the girls would have a few seconds to take cover before the ship's catapults fired on their position, engulfing the palace in Greek fire and bursts of Celestial bronze shrapnel. Not the safest plan but at least they had a backup plan to get them out of here should things go bad.

"And remember what I told you," Cressida said. "You are not yourselves. You are a character. Bottle up any fear, disgust, anything you feel because we can't afford to feel any of that now. And if you falter or can't come up with a response -"

"The safest option is always to laugh and go in with a thinly veiled threat. Anger is your friend," Jason finished.

"And it's always better to play a bluff and act more powerful than you are than to give them a real idea of your abilities," Piper added.

"And if Piper and I falter with the suitors, just smile and look down to their lips and back up to their eyes, and move on to the next suitor. Make them think you're playing hard to get so they don't focus on catching us in a lie," Annabeth added and Cressida nodded.

"Good. Very good."

"Be careful down there," Jason told the girls and they nodded.

Piper crept around the left side of the ridge and Cressida and Annabeth went to the right. Jason pulled himself up with his walking stick and hobbled towards the ruins. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.7K 2.1K 62
Nico di Angelo is finally happy. He's learning to accept himself for his sexuality and as a son of Hades. After everything horrible that has happened...
7.3K 328 11
โ you can hear it in the silence, you can feel it on the way home, you can see it with the lights out you are in love, true love โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ a...
1.1K 2 25
We've all heard the hero's side of the story, but no one seems to care about the ones in the other side. We just assume that they are evil to begin w...
7.4K 284 13
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ SAVE ME, SAVE YOU โ i'm asking, please, will you tell me your story? i wanna know โž ๏น™ jason grace x fem!oc ๏นš ๏น™ the lost hero; the mark of athena...