Bane of My Existence

Af H_Hobbs

Kinsey Ashe is offered a position at a pharmaceutical company. After a series of life-threatening events, Kin... Mere

Author's Notes
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 1

309 15 4
Af H_Hobbs

The music was loud. Even from a block away, the bass reverberated through Kinsey's bones. She huddled into her jacket and slipped a glare Sabrina's way. This wasn't exactly what she had in mind when she said she wanted to go out tonight. Kinsey would have much preferred their cute and quiet cafe in the heart of the city--a block away from their apartment. Not a rowdy bar in the warehouse district, with very few lights and even less people on the streets.

The noise wasn't even what scared her the most.

It was the people inside.

The shifters.

They had revealed themselves to the public just over a year ago. It had come as a shock to the world. People who could turn into animals? That was stuff in books, not real life. Kinsey had read enough supernatural stories to know she would have preferred them to stay that way. As stories.

And if books and horror movies didn't convince her that shifters were bad news, her sister, Carissa, made a point of it during their family Sunday dinners. She showed her videos of shifters lifting cars over their heads and of them tearing a pig's carcass in half with one swipe of their razer sharp claws. That was just in their human form. Their animal forms were just as dexterous, if not more deadly. Humans were banned from walking in the woods around the city to avoid running into them while they hunted.

Sabrina squeezed her arm, pulling her to a stop just a few feet from the Howling Moon bar. She fixed a pair of sharp gray eyes at Kinsey's reluctance; they appeared more blue under the bright neon sign of a howling wolf looming over them. "You said you would help me with my research." She waved flippantly at the grand wooden entrance. "Where else am I going to find inspiration for my next hit than in the biggest shifter bar in the city?"

Kinsey groaned. Her family would kill her if she was caught hanging around shifters. Since the shifters came out to the world, her family sided with the half of the population who would rather remain ignorant of the existence of shifters or preferred to think of them more as animals than people.

Kinsey had the humbling experience of being best friends with someone who had entirely the opposite opinion--and made a killing off their existence.

Which brought her to her current living conditions, sharing a one bedroom apartment with Sabrina until Kinsey could find a place. Her parents had expressed their great discontent with Kinsey's choice of friends. Kinsey bit back, reminding them they wouldn't even be in the house they were in now if it weren't for Carissa's money. They did not appreciate the reminder that they had once lived on the east side of town, barely able to afford to pay rent. If it weren't for their scholarships, neither Carissa or Kinsey could have afforded to go to university to become rich and successful scientists for their parents to leech off of.

So they kicked her out.

That was a month ago.

Kinsey sighed, ruminating when she wasn't supposed to be. "I suppose after a drink or two, they won't be so scary."

Sabrina clapped her on the back, a proud, smug grin splitting her face. "'Atta girl! Let's go."

Sabrina basically dragged her through the front door. They were instantly hit with an overwhelming sweet yet musky aroma and blinding flashing lights. Kinsey would have taken a step back to give her eyes a moment to adjust to the assault on her retinas if it hadn't been Sabrina's sole determination to explore the unknown. She pulled her through the crowd, which made Kinsey feel even shorter than she already was, given that the average height of these people appeared to be six feet.

They found a booth off to the side. Thankfully, most of the flashing lights were at the entrance to greet new patrons and Kinsey was finally given a moment to see.

She relaxed in the luxurious leather booth and examined the crowd. There were all kinds of people here, different shapes, sizes, and builds. She honestly couldn't tell who was a shifter and who wasn't. Or maybe they were all shifters and Kinsey and Sabrina were the only humans. Were humans even allowed to be here?

Sabrina saved her from the spiraling anxiety threatening to snatch any chance of her having fun tonight away and bumped her shoulder. "This place is fabulous! I'm definitely using this in my next book." She pulled out her always-handy notepad and started jotting down key details about the bar.

Sabrina had gone through school to become a teacher. She'd started writing novels as a way to keep her grounded through all the studying. Just for the sake of it, she took one novel to a publisher. She got signed and, now that the shifters were public, her sales were through the roof. Her publisher wanted three new novel by the end of the month.

Kinsey tore her gaze away from the people to appreciate the design, which was far better than thinking about all the shifters dancing and grinding the night away.

Judging by the structure and its location, the building was a repurposed warehouse. They kept the steel supports, the catwalk in the rafters, and the loft that was most assuredly the office. The rest had been gutted to make room for the massive stainless steel bar stretching along the north side of the building with colourful lights flashing to the beat of the music behind the liquor display. The east and partially the south side were dedicated to booths like the one Kinsey and Sabrina sat in, forming an L-shape, while the rest of the space was for the stage hosting a live band and the dancefloor. If it weren't for the fact they were in a building full of predators, Kinsey would have loved the aesthetic.

A waitress wove her way through the undulating bodies and smiled at them. Kinsey was taken away by the sheer beauty of the woman; she belonged on a runway, not serving drinks. Then again, when Kinsey looked around at the other waitresses, they all were just as beautiful, tall yet elegant with an overall demeanor of "You wished you could touch this". When the lights swung this way during their slow, sweeping tour of the bar, her large, blue eyes flashed gold, reminding Kinsey this beauty came as one of the perks of being supernatural.

Tapetum lucidum, Kinsey thought absently. Like animals, shifters apparently possessed the same reflective membrane behind their retinas, even in their human form.

"Haven't seen you here before," she said, eyeing the pair of them with a little more curiosity than before. "We don't find too many humans here. . . . Well, in the booths." Her eyes dashed over to a couple making out in the shadows of the steel staircase leading up to the loft office. The woman, if Kinsey had to guess, was human, because the man she was with towered over her. He had bulging muscles for days, out in the open for everyone to see, because he had lost his shirt somewhere. The waitress turned back to them, still smiling, a hint of mischief at the edges. "Usually, you lot come in here to hook up. What brings you girls here?"

Sabrina laced her hands together on the cool stainless steel table, looking as inquisitive as a detective. "How'd you know we were human?" she whispered, like their identity was supposed to be a secret.

The waitress giggled amusingly, eyes dazzling in the flashing lights, then tapped her nose. "You smell like humans. First time being around shifters?"

Sabrina nodded with a flush that was mostly hidden thanks to the dim, amber lighting above the booth.

A knowing glint touched the beautiful waitress's eyes. "If you're new, I suggest looking for a cougar, or any cat, shifter. The bears and wolves can be a bit much for humans."

Kinsey couldn't help looking back over to the couple under the stairs. The shifter's hands were bigger than the woman's head and he looked none too gentle when they grasped her rear. He dragged his rough kisses down to her throat; she turned her head to give him better access, eyes open in a lust-filled haze.

Bear shifter, she guessed. He was definitely the size of a bear.

Then it clicked with her what the waitress was implying, and flushed a deep red. "Oh, no, we're not here for. . . that. We're having a girls' night."

Long ago, they had discovered telling people they were out for research was a fast way for people to shut down. So they had to get creative to get people to talk.

The waitress cocked an eyebrow of doubt at her. "At a shifter bar?"

"We're adventurous," Sabrina added. "I'm trying to broaden my friend's horizons. . . But, out of curiosity, how can you tell if they're a cat shifter?"

Kinsey let Sabrina do her thing, not the least bit interested in being able to tell the difference or why it mattered, and scanned the drink menu.

The waitress was more than happy to oblige. "For starters, you're looking at one. Our frames are overall more slender than a bear or wolf's. We tend to be less aggressive but more reclusive. Wolves are always in a big, rowdy group and guard their territory like a dragon protects its hoard. And bears. . . well, they're even more reclusive than my people. You don't approach them, they come to you."

While Sabrina absorbed this information with heed--she could see her mentally taking notes and storing the information for later to write it all down--Kinsey ordered a rum and coke and an appetizer. Noticing Kinsey's abashment on the subject, Sabrina hastily ordered as well. The waitress left and Sabrina set a stern, teacherly look on her. If the author gig got tiresome, she would definitely make a great teacher.

Kinsey tucked the menu back in its holder and matched her gaze squarely. "What?"

"You know what I think? You should read one of my novels."

"Your paranormal or historical romances?" Though, Kinsey didn't really have to ask and the look Sabrina gave her said as such.

"Don't knock 'em until you try 'em. I can guarantee they're better than textbooks. And, maybe, it might open you up to the idea of getting it on with a shifter. Or a human. Someone, Kins. You're a free woman now."

Kinsey laughed at the very idea of being free. It had been a long while since Sabrina was invited to the Sunday night dinners with her family, but it surprised her how easily she had forgotten what her parents were like. Especially after Carissa had done so well for herself. Kinsey was next. Or she might as well not call herself an Ashe anymore.

"Am not. I'm just getting started. Carissa got me a job at the Bane Corporation, but I have to prove to everyone there--and my parents--that I earned it."

The waitress came back with the drinks, not a moment too late. As soon as she left, Kinsey took two heaping gulps.

Sabrina frowned at her then took of sip of her sangria. "Kins, you're not Carissa."

"I know." Kinsey slumped at the reminder. She wasn't anything like her big sister. Carissa was beautiful, smart, a genius really, and charismatic. Kinsey barely ticked one of those boxes.

Her parents couldn't be more proud of sister: Lead Scientist at the Bane Corporation, awarded as the Most Innovative Woman of the year, recently engaged to the Victor Bane himself.

Kinsey? Recently graduated from Wensworth University--top of her class, mind you--single, and unemployed. For the moment.

Sabrina reached out and squeezed her hand. "I mean, I don't think you should take the job. Do what you love, Kins. Don't settle for less."

Kinsey wasn't in love with the job offer either, but at least it was in her field. She could work on branching out and setting her own roots somewhere else later.

She shrugged and took another sip. "The Bane Corporation is a big company. They'll look after me in the meantime."

A passerby stumbled as they he passed them and threw a dirty look Kinsey's way. She shuddered as he walked over to his group of friends by the bar.

Sabrina stuck her tongue out at him. Not that he noticed, he was too busy talking to them. "What's his deal? Do you know him from somewhere?"

"No." She sunk into the leather seat,  wishing now more than ever she could will herself invisible. "Is he still staring?"

Sabrina moistened her lips and tucked a blonde strand behind her ear, failing to pretend she wasn't nervous. "Yeah. He looks pissed. Are you sure you don't know him?"

"Positive." Kinsey would remember him. It wasn't every day someone set a murderous glare on her like that.

Sighing, Sabrina flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Never mind him. He's probably jealous I get to sit with you." Kinsey snorted, but her friend continued on, "Anyway, I don't think the Bane Corporation is a good fit for you. I've heard rumours, you know. They test on animals.  After the shifters came out, everyone has been very anit-animal testing. Good luck trying to get a job with that on your resume."

Kinsey rolled her eyes. "Those are just rumours. Carissa wouldn't work for an immoral company. She has standards."

"Oh, I know. I've seen her fiancé. He's smoking hot. We may disagree about basically everything else in this crazy world, but I can't deny there isn't an entire book's worth of things I'd like to do to Victor Bane." She fanned herself with a napkin.

"You and every other woman in this city," Kinsey giggled.

A group of women dancing nearby turned their heads in Kinsey's direction with a set of disgusted sneers.

Suddenly feeling the weight of a thousand eyes on her, she peered around the bar to find several groups glaring at them. She swallowed then turned her attention back to her friend, remembering to gulp down some liquid courage as well.

They're not staring at you. Except, it didn't matter how many times she told herself that. They most definitely were staring at her. She had no idea why.

"'Brina?" she whispered. It was as loud as she dared to speak, afraid she might further enrage someone. "I think we should go home. It's not safe here."

Sabrina's eyes followed the same circuit Kinsey's had and came to the same conclusion. She licked her lips. "Maybe coming here wasn't such a great idea." She grabbed her purse and scooted to the end of the booth, with Kinsey mirroring her movements.

But it was too late.

A massive, haulking mountain of a man stood at the end of the table, blocking their escape. He slammed his hands down on the steel, warping the surface under his palms. His vicious growl had them huddled as far back into the booth as they could go.

The sweeping lights made their way over here. His eyes flashed gold, but the phenomenon seemed far more intimidating coming from him than it did with the waitress.

"Going somewhere, ladies?"

All Kinsey could do was stare up at him as horror struck her. They were trapped in a booth with an angry shifter, deep in the warehouse district. None of their friends knew where they were, and certainly not her family. They could die tonight and no one would know.

She should have listened to Carissa.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

370K 20K 51
Harper Talbot is a painfully shy bookstore owner in the town of Black Wood Falls. She has built a name for herself among the rare book collectors as...
3.6K 119 6
*Available in full on Radish or Patreon!* She was born in fire. He was forged in ice. The clash will scorch them both. After a disease wipes out all...
17.3K 958 25
Finally, after escaping the abusive grasp of her father, siblings Nova, Nigel and newborn Neil are on the run. Leaving behind Saint Paul, Minnesota a...
217 34 30
They say the moon keeps people's secrets, but for Tessa it reveals them all. Tessa was never supposed to be the pack's next alpha, but fate had othe...