Champion Of Death

By thedoctorgonepale

Seven Gods created this world. Those Seven Gods also rule this world and its people. Maintaining peace togeth... More

(Prologue): At Deaths Beck And Call
(Lore) The Religions
Rotten Man & The Rotted Plan
Dead Rising
Dead Rising: Act 2
Dead Rising: Act 3
Dead Rising: Act 4
Death's Pet
Secrets Of The Gods Behind Closed Doors
Secrets Of The Gods Behind Closed Doors: Act 2
Death Vs Life
Death Vs Life: Act 2
Oath Breakers
Bliss In The Abiss
Unconvincing Argument
Pop The Bubble
Pop The Bubble: Act 2
Pop The Bubble: Act 3
Such A Choatic World
The Loyal Dog
Currupted By Chaos
The Champions Around The World
Peer Into The Abyss, It'll Make You Blink
War Of The Gods
maD mad wondErlAnD
Tempting Death
The Ultimate Tragedy
The Ultimate Tragedy; Act 2
The Ultimate Tragedy; Act 3
(Epilogue); A Grim Reaper

First Steps Towards Death

367 39 4
By thedoctorgonepale

The seven gods were all standing in their throne room for Thane's inauguration as Azrei's champion.

Azrei: I hereby bless you with this gift of power.

Cupping his face, Azrei bestowed a kiss on Thane's forehead, granting him a blessing, which each Champion uniquely possesses.

Azrei: Rise... My Champion of Death.

In his champion attire, Thane stood up.

Thane:...

Thane:... Thank you...?

Thane: My lady...?

Azrei:(nods)

Azrei: You may head to the dining hall. There you'll find the other Champions. Let them welcome you.

Azrei: I have a few matters with my fellow gods to discuss.

Thane: Bu-

Azrei: I know about your six questions.

Thane: It's seven now- actually... Nine.

Azrei: Once I'm done. I'll answer every question you have.

Thane: Very well.

Thane: Uhm...(courtesy bow)

Azrei: There's no need for that.

Thane: Oh. Bye then.

He leaves the throne room.

Sciron: "Bye then".... Pffsh!

Giara: Quite the country bumbkin.

Azrei:(sigh)... Getting a champion, and having a silly tournament to decide who it will be was your idea...

Azrei: And yet you're all immediately judgmental over him the moment it became official.

Jorey: We're just teasing~

Jorey: He's just a bit unrefined. But still adorable.

Giara: You sound more infatuated with him then, Azrei...

Jorey: I'm just giddy about how perfect he is for Azrei. A match made by us!

Azrei: Was he made by you?

Jorey: Pfft! Of course not. It's just an expression.

Azrei: So you sware you had no hand in making him the way he is?

Jorey:(rolls eyes) Yeah... It goes against our vow to not mess with the mortals unless necessary-blah, blah, blah.

Jorey: Now let's have our celebration!

Azrei: Let's make it quick. I do have a lot of work to give him.

(Opening Theme)

Thane felt completely lost, the way through the castle to the throne room was different from when he entered.

Yet somehow, by going in a straight line, Thane entered the dining room, where the other six champions sat around a table, snacking on food.

By the mood, Thane could tell they were either bored or uninterested in this celebration.

Champion:?

Thane approached the six, their attention turning to him in his new champion tunic.

Thane: Hey.

He takes some food, all the whilst looking at his now fellow champions.

Champion of Nature: Howdy. Guess I'll be the first to welcome you.

The Champion of Nature is a ginger man in his late thirties. Wearing a costume made of all organic material. He smelled of maple a bit too much.

(Champion of Nature: Sky Couldford)

Sky: I'm Sky. Champion of Nature.

Thane: Thane. Champion of Death if you didn't know.

Sky: Hehe.

Sky:(looks around) Anyone else wants to introduce themselves or shall I do it for you?

Champion of Knowledge: Well, if you're offering.

Sky:(sigh)... Very well.

Sky: That man right there is the Champion of Knowledge. Clover Lyber.

Thane glanced at Clover, a mid-twenties man, in a dapper suit with a pair of goggles around his neck. There was a sense of high class in that man.

(Champion of Knowledge: Clover Lyber)

Sky: The Youngling is the Champion of Time. Skipper.

The boy, was clearly younger than ten, yet he seemed more hardened than anyone. Thane liked his big coat, it was cute.

(Champion of Time: Scott "Skipper" Parallel)

Skipper:...

Thane: I like your coat.

(Slam)

A big slab of meat was dropped in front of Skipper, hiding him from view.

Champion of Space: Eat up. You're still growing.

Sky: Space. Henrietta the Obliterator.

She was tall, muscular, covered in scars, and for some reason open wounds. Yet not threatening. Then again, Thane could not feel threatened.

(Champion of Space: Henrietta The Obliterator)

Sky: And the golden blond is what you could call your "Champion Sibling".

Thane: What does that mean?

Sky: Azrei and Jorey are twins so-

Champion of Life: Don't waste your breath on that ridiculous explanation for an even more ridiculous concept...

With blond hair, golden armor, white robe, Lilly was the Champion of Life, infamously known as the wrath of Jorey, nicknamed "Pedal Knight".

(Champion of Life: Lilly Pedal Knight)

Lilly: We aren't anything.

Thane: Never wanted to be.

There was now only one Champion left for Thane to be introduced to. And she sat at the end of the table, silent, unreadable.

Thane: So you must be the Champion Of Law? Right?

Covered head to toe, no features of her could be made. The idea she's female is up for debate as her breastplate could simply be a red herring.

(Champion of Law: J.J.E)

Sky: Holding up the current tradition of all our female members being at various levels of strong and silent we have the queen of that...

Sky: We call her J.J.

Thane: Call her? As in... That's not her name?

Clover: Damn bitch won't say a word to us. I "accidently" stabbed her with a fork fifty times... In a row...

Clover: Didn't make a peep. Even when stabbing me with a fork.

Lilly: J.J. is what our Gods told us we could call her.

Thane:....(waves)

J.J:(stare)

Thane:...

Thane: So... What is it exactly does a "Champion" do?

Champions: Whatever the gods want...

Thane:?

Clover: Our purpose is to be the bridge between the gods and their followers and affairs.

Clover: This practically means... Do whatever the gods say. At least yours.

Thane: Like... If Azrei said "Do my laundry" I'd have to do it?

Henrietta: Why would she ask you to do that?

Thane: It was an example.

Lilly:(sigh)... Luckily for you, Azrei would not ask that of you.

Lilly: She'll likely ask you to hunt down Necromancers.

Sky: Or Slay the undead...

Skipper: Don't forget about guiding souls...

Sky: Right!

Thane: You all know a lot about what my Lady would want from me...

Lilly: That's because before you came around... Azrei had us help her out, doing work a Champion of Death should.

Lilly: But I guess this is what this celebration is about... Not having to do her crap anymore.

Lilly: It's your problem now.

Clover: A toast! To Azrei! She's his problem now!

(Clink)⁴

Thane: Cheers...?

Azrei: My champion.

Like a flick of light, lady death appeared suddenly behind the champions.

Champions:!

Leaning his head back, Thane saw his Goddess.

Thane: Oh, hi.

Azrei: Hello again. Now follow me.

Off his butt, Thane followed Azrei into the next room which magically led to a massive stone gate which was the door to her room in the castle.

Thane: So what's the meaning of death? Why do people want to sometimes die when others fear it?

Thane: Why are necromancer bad?

Azrei: They disrespect both Life and death. They rip souls from the afterlife and shatter them for a husk.

Azrei: Or they simply create soulless walking corpses.

Azrei: They must be eliminated... YOU must eliminate them.

Thane: Why don't you just kill them yourself?

The stone gates creek open.

Azrei: We gods have made several vows to limit our influence over humanity.

Azrei: And I prefer not to go that far...

Entering Azrei's room, Thane found himself in a room seemingly made of shadows. The floor walls and ceiling were so dark, they seemed like endless voids.

The only things visible were a large bed and a little chair and desk in the corner.

Azrei: Give them a chance to redeem themselves. But if they push your hand, do whatever you must to stop them.

Thane: Okie-dokie. But can I get the answers to my questions now... Or...

Somewhat frustrated, Azrei turns to Thane who meets his gaze. She still was not yet used to someone looking directly at her.

"Those eyes... They look at me with such curiosity."

"I may have mistaken his genuine interest for childish curiosity."

"My interactions with the living are few and far between. I should keep in mind my sister's advice... Motivation."

Azrei: You'll find the knowledge you seek within your mission.

Thane;?

Azrei: The necromancers are almost guaranteed to be surrounded by tragedy.

Thane: That's supposed to be good?

Azrei: The questions you want to be answered cannot simply be explained with words.

Thane: Is that why my parents looked at me weirdly when trying to answer them?

Azrei: My Champion... If you desire answers to your questions... To understand me... And the meaning of death...

Azrei: Defeat any necromancers you come across... And help souls pass on.

Azrei: Through those actions, you'll receive answers.

Thane: Like a business transaction? Fair enough...

Azrei:(heavy sigh)... Here take this.

Pulling out a compass, from her desk, the Goddess of Death hands it to her Champion.

Azrei: This will lead you to the closes source of necromancy and any lost soul.

Pocketing the compass, Thane leaves.

Thane: I'll be back in a jiffy.

Azrei: Take care.

Exiting her room, Thane found himself outside the Pantheon Castle.

Thane:(looks around)

Thane: Gods have a weird house...

(SHATTER)

Thane: Ow!?

A flower pot crashed on his head. Looking up, Thane was confused.

Thane:...

Thane: What did I get myself into?

To be continued.......

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

290K 4.4K 33
"Did you think after everything you have done to me i would come back?" "All the Pain and Suffering you let them do was Inconvenient for you." "Bec...
42 13 13
Oku, the god of fire and curiosity believes he should be the one ruling Paradise instead of Oma the goddess of prosperity, Agha the god of war and Uf...
4.3K 281 36
"So you think I have the power of the Earth Element?" I ask her. "We don't think. . . We believe." She smiles and gently caresses my cheek. "But Evy...
2.4K 119 28
Eversince kuroe akhikto (a.k.a. ruri) was 5 years old she already had a weird way of thought process because of this she had become a realist, she d...