champ : Vince Dunn

By hayleigh_ewing

"That true.. champ?" "Get away from me, Kay." - - - Definition of 'Champ' noun: someone who has won first pla... More

c h a r a c t e r s
p a r t o n e
p a r t t w o
p a r t t h r e e
p a r t f o u r
p a r t f i v e
p a r t s i x
p a r t s e v e n
p a r t e i g h t
p a r t n i n e
p a r t t e n
p a r t e l e v e n
p a r t t w e l v e
p a r t f o u r t e e n
p a r t f i f t e e n
p a r t s i x t e e n
p a r t s e v e n t e e n
p a r t e i g h t e e n
p a r t n i n e t e e n
p a r t t w e n t y
p a r t t w e n t y - o n e

p a r t t h i r t e e n

1K 20 8
By hayleigh_ewing

January 3rd, 2019.
Washington St Louis
— — —

"This is why women shouldn't be in the nhl."

I rolled my eyes, turning away from Olivia, who stood at the front of the room, giving a speech that was completely irrelevant to whatever the teacher was trying to tell us.

"Woah.. wait!" Someone spoke up, making everyone turn to face her, "if I may?" He looked at the teacher.

She just nodded, to which he walked to the front, beside Olivia. I leaned back in my seat and sighed, looking down at my paper.

"McKay?"

My head shot up, looking at the boy in front of me. He had his hand out, nodding towards me.

I had never met this guy before, but I was curious as to where he was going with this, so I accepted and stood up, following him as he stood beside Olivia.

"Here!" He pointed at me, "she is why women should be in the nhl."

"Okay-" "No, wait, please." He looked at me, I just sighed and nodded, allowing him to continue.

"Do you know who she is?" He looked at Olivia, and then the rest of the class.

Everyone nodded, of course they did.

It was hard not to laugh, but I tried anyway.

"Right, because who doesn't? This girl literally makes history-" "Oh fucking hell, can we-" "language!" The teacher cut Olivia off, she scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"May I continue?" The boy asked. "Go ahead Nick." The teacher nodded.

Nick, his name is Nick.

"Like I was saying.. she makes history every time she steps on the ice, and I'm not sure how many of the girls in this room watch her play, but I know every one of the guys watch, and some of us don't even watch hockey!"

The guys all nodded, looking at me.

"I know a few of the women do too, because they're usually the ones who invite us over to watch." He added, causing everyone to nod once again.

"Let's be honest, I know our school's hockey team is good, but she's better." He pointed at me.

"She's clearly an amazing player, otherwise she wouldn't be in the nhl. It's hard to hate on someone who is extremely talented at something a lot of us couldn't do." He laughed.

"She's really not that good-" "Olivia, with all due respect, you're wrong." He shrugged.

I laughed, shaking my head as I looked away from everyone.

"I'm sorry, can I ask one question?" One of the girls in the corner spoke up. "What?" Nick sighed.

"If she's in the nhl, why did she go back to college?" "I wanted to become a physical therapist," I shrugged, "I didn't do it the first time, so here we are." I told her, nodding.

"So how are you playing in the nhl and going to college at the same time?" "She's not." Olivia shook her head.

"I'm out for an injury." I nodded, looking back at the girl. She just replied with a nod, "well get better soon." She smiled and turned back to a paper she had on the desk.

"I'm working on it." I mumbled, looking at Nick.

"How do you balance out college and hockey?" He asked. I laughed, "I don't," I shook my head before continuing, "there's too much stress, I just can't wait to be done with all of this."

"Why didn't you play hockey for the school team?" Someone spoke up. "I wasn't drafted from here, I got picked up from another college, I just came here so that I could finish." I nodded, smiling.

"Well Seattle got lucky." Nick laughed.

I punched his shoulder and shook my head, "so did St Louis." I said, making him laugh again, "alright, enough about me-" "No, no! I have a lot to prove now, I had this whole speech planned." He said.

"Look," I sighed, "you don't have to prove anything to anyone here," I shrugged, walking back to seat, "I'll do that when I win the Stanley Cup."

Olivia laughed, catching everyone's attention, "right, we'll see. Isn't your team last in the division?" She nodded and sat down as well.

I went quiet, knowing she did have a point, we were 11 points behind the Anaheim Ducks, who owned the second wild card spot in the Western Conference.

"We are," I nodded, "but playoffs don't start until April, so.." I shrugged again.

"Are you even gonna be cleared? Or are you still gonna be injured?" She asked. I turned around and looked at her, "I could be cleared now, and you wouldn't even know."

The room filled with a loud 'ouuu' and everyone whispered. Olivia rolled her eyes as Nick sat down beside her.

He shot me a smile, trying to hide his laughter from Olivia. I returned the smile and faced towards the front of the room, and that's when the teacher continued whatever it was that she was saying..

— — —

"How was class?" Vince asked, causing me to laugh. "Eventful." I nodded. He replied with a hum, letting me continue.

"This girl I've been friends with for like three years randomly decided to start talking shit about me, and she's been throwing shots at me for the last couple days, it's so annoying." I shook my head, "but this guy kinda stuck up for me, and she got all pissed off, it was so funny."

"Is this the same girl we were supposed to meet?" He asked. I nodded, "yea, she ended up canceling last minute and-" "Yea, I remember her."

"What an ass." He added. "I know," I giggled, "I also found out that over half the people in my class watch me play." I nodded again, setting my phone on the counter. "Now that's entertaining." He laughed.

"Me playing hockey? Or finding out that everyone watches me play?" "Both."

I hummed, nodding as I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before turning back to the phone.

"How was the test?" Vince spoke, changing the subject while he set up his camera.

"It was good, really easy. I definitely think I passed, but I'll have to see tomorrow." I shrugged. "Well good luck." He mumbled.

"Thank you. You streaming tonight?" "Yea, that's what I'm setting up now." He nodded.

"Mm, how fun. I'll have to watch." "You should."

I laughed, "I should." "Alright, I'm gonna start this before it gets too late, let's talk later."

"Alright," I smiled, "have fun." "You too, I'll talk to you later." "Mhm, bye Vince."

"Bye Mickie." And he hung up.

It took a second for me to catch on, but I did.
I couldn't help but smile at the random nickname.

Mickie.. how cute.

"Fuck." I giggled, rolling my eyes as I opened my laptop, going to find Vince's stream.

— — —

6-19-23

This is a filler, I'm so sorry😭
I'll write something better soon,
I promise🙏🤍

Hope you enjoyed <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 773 21
Roman Reigns X Becky Lynch\\ Book One. in·dig·na·tion noun anger or annoyance provoked by what is perceived as unfair treatment. "If we stand here un...
51 4 5
(eh-nah-moh-rah-dah) adjective in love. 。.。:∞♡*♥ she has the worst attitude on her entire team, queen of the ice and the hawks. his team doesn't eve...
63.6K 1.3K 28
title pretty much explains most of it lol
24.4K 850 22
se·cret adjective not known or seen or not meant to be known or seen by others. Some are left better unknown but some secrets are just too good to be...