Evelyn's Tale

By HyperfixationWhore

Bill Guarnere's youngest sister joins Easy as a medic, and so begins a journey of friendship and love. (Joe L... More

-One-
-Two-
-Three-
-Four-
-Five-
-Six-
-Seven-
-Eight-
-Nine-
-Ten-
-Eleven-
-Twelve-
-Thirteen-
-Fourteen-
-Fifteen-
-Sixteen-
-Eighteen-
-Nineteen-
-Twenty-
-Twenty One-
-Twenty Two-
-Twenty Three-
-Twenty Four-
-Twenty Five-
-Twenty Six-
-Twenty Seven-
-Twenty Eight-
-Twenty Nine-
-Thirty-
-Thirty One-
-Thirty Two-
-Thirty Three-
-Thirty Four-
-Thirty Five-
-Thirty Six-
-Thirty Seven-
-Thirty Eight-
-Thirty Nine-
-Forty-
-Forty One-
-Forty Two-
-Forty Three-
-Forty Four-
-Forty Five-
-Forty Six-
-Epilogue-

-Seventeen-

633 13 7
By HyperfixationWhore

September 13th, 1944

"Right that's it, I can't hold it in any longer. I need to tell you something, Gene," Evelyn slammed down the bedpan she was cleaning, cringing slightly when it clanked loudly on the sink. "In fact no, I have to tell you before my head completely explodes out of my skull."

Eugene looked up from the paperwork he was filling, wondering what on earth had gotten Evelyn so riled up this time. Not that it usually took a lot. In fact, more often than not it was something tiny and insignificant that would have her wound up like a clock. She was far too emotional for her own good.

"So, you know how we went on that trip to London at the weekend?"

"Uh huh. The trip to London that I wasn't a part of?" Eugene pretended to look hurt.

"Yeah, that trip," Evelyn nodded impatiently. "And don't look at me like that Eugene Roe. You were invited, you know that. However you chose not to come because you didn't want to leave Vera, nor did you want to bring Vera because for some crazy reason you still want to keep her entire existence a secret from everybody."

"Alright, calm down," Eugene held his hands up and smirked. "I was only joking with you, but I think you must have left your sense of humour in London cos it sure isn't here."

"Sorry," she sighed, rubbing her hands over her face wearily and then grimacing when she realised she had just been cleaning out a filthy bed pan. Ugh gross.

"So, are you gonna tell me whatever it is that has you so stressed out?" Eugene asked. "Because I don't fancy cleaning up all the blood and brains when your head explodes, so you'd best do me a favour and get it out now."

"You think you're such a funny guy sometimes, don't you, Gene?" Evelyn glared at the smirk on his face and crossed her arms in frustration as she leaned her back against the sink. Then she sighed. Again. "Alright, here it is. When we went to London, something happened and it was something that left me ridiculously confused."

"That's not difficult," Eugene mumbled under his breath, but loud enough for her to hear. "Sorry, I'm listening. Go on."

Evelyn narrowed her eyes at him before continuing.

"Right, so we were outside the club, Lieb and I this is, and he, uh, he kissed me."

Definitely not something tiny and insignificant then, Eugene thought to himself.

"Ok," he answered after a short pause.

"Ok? Is that it? I just told you that me and Joseph Liebgott kissed in London and all you have to say about that is ok?" Evelyn exclaimed. "Christ Eugene, you showed more of a reaction last week when I told you I'd just eaten a bacon sandwich for my lunch."

"Now who's being funny?" Eugene raised an eyebrow. "I don't really know what you want me to say, Ev. If I'm being honest with you, I would have expected you to be ecstatic telling me something like this but instead you look like you're ready to either cry or stab someone. Do you see why I might be unsure of what to say?" He reached out and put a hand reassuringly on her arm. "Listen, why don't we go and have our break now? Vera made me lunch this morning and if I know my wife there'll be enough there to feed the whole company. We can eat, which always makes you feel better, and then we can talk properly about what's got you all confused about the situation, yeah?"

"Ok," Evelyn agreed, following Eugene as he picked up his satchel and led them out of the front door, where there was a bench right outside the building.

"So, this kiss," Eugene said, handing her a huge sandwich stuffed full of cheese and pickles. She smiled gratefully and took a huge bite. "Was it, uh...? Who kissed... uh...?"

Evelyn snorted as Eugene stumbled over his words and she could see that he felt slightly embarrassed discussing kissing with her. It was laughable really because he was a married man and she was pretty sure he did more than kiss his new wife. But that was Eugene, and she kind of loved him all the more for his sweet, sensitive nature.

"So, we were outside the club and we were just talking and then he asked me to close my eyes, which at the time I thought was rather odd, and then he just kissed me. Like really kissed me. And then Bill came looking for me and ruined the whole thing, which is just fucking typical of him," she said, swallowing down a bite of food. Christ, Vera is like some kind of domestic Goddess. She can make even a sandwich taste like it's just fallen straight out of heaven.

"And you're confused about all that, why exactly?" Eugene frowned.

"I'm confused because once Bill appeared, Lieb behaved as though nothing had happened, which I totally understand because if Bill knew, he probably would have punched him right there and then," Ev continued. "Anyway, it's been almost a week since we kissed and he's not even said a single word to me. Well, he has, but not about that. Like it's always been when the others have been around. Then yesterday during field training there was about five minutes when we were on our own waiting for everyone else and literally the only thing he spoke to me about was the weather. The fuckin' weather! I mean, the guy just kissed me a few days before, completely out of the blue, and all he wants to talk to me about is the fact that we've finally had some sun after three days of none stop rain."

Eugene opened his mouth to speak but then apparently Evelyn hadn't finished with her rant. She took a deep breath and carried on.

"Like, I know I don't have much experience in the whole kissing field. Well, ok actually I have none, but that's by the by. Despite my non existent knowledge, I thought it was a pretty good kiss. Actually, it was a-maze-ing, but obviously Liebgott didn't think so. Now not only am I confused but I feel kind of embarrassed too. And then there's the whole question of why did he kiss me?" Eugene sat eating his sandwich silently as Evelyn verbalised the internal monologue she was having with herself. "Did he kiss me because he was drunk? I mean he didn't seem drunk, but maybe he was and he's just really good at hiding it? Did he kiss me because it was my birthday and he felt like that was something you do? I can't see it being that, but you know my sister Gina went to California on her honeymoon and she did say that the people there are a lot more, shall we say, liberal? Or did he kiss me because by some crazy chance he actually likes me?"

"You wanna know what I think?" Eugene finally got a word in once Evelyn had finished. She nodded, taking a huge and rather angry bite of her sandwich. "I think that the pair of you need to talk."

Eugene knew that Liebgott liked Evelyn. Heck, he'd been sitting on that secret since Fort Benning, but it wasn't in his nature to meddle in someone else's affairs. Therefore, he would keep that knowledge to himself and allow the two of them to work it out themselves.

"Really Einstein? That's your great piece of advice?" Evelyn huffed. "I could have gotten a better answer out of George."

"Yeah but if you'd have told George, everyone would know about it by now," Eugene smirked. Evelyn smiled back reluctantly, knowing he was indeed right. She adored George Luz to death but the man was the biggest gossip she knew. Almost as bad as Mrs Gomez back home.

"What am I gonna do, Gene?" she sighed, getting back to the original topic. "Everything just feels so odd now."

"You need to talk to him," Gene repeated. "You know you're sitting here telling me that he hasn't spoken to you. Well, how do you know he's not sat somewhere thinking the same thing about you? The longer you leave it, the harder it's gonna be. Just bite the bullet and talk to the guy, would you?"

"I guess you might be right," she muttered, a gnawing feeling in her stomach making the sandwich start to taste like sandpaper.

"Sorry I didn't quite hear that. What did you say?"

"I guess you might be right," she repeated a little louder.

"Ev, you need to speak a little clearer because I'm almost sure I thought I heard you say that I was right," Eugene smirked. "And if that is indeed what you said then can I get in writing please?"

"Shut up," Evelyn snorted throwing a piece of bread at his head. And missing completely. She looked at her watch and stood up, dusting crumbs off of herself. "Well, I guess break time's over. I promised Bull that I'd take a look at his ingrown toenail this afternoon, and I am not looking forward to it. Have you ever seen Bull's feet before? They're horrific. Don't suppose you wanna swap with me, do you?"

"I suppose so, seeing as you asked so nicely," Eugene nodded following suit. "It's a deal."

"Did I tell you you're the best?"

"You didn't, but thanks. Besides, it's better than having to sort out Johnny Martin and his haemorrhoids which was what I had planned this afternoon."

"What? Uh-uh, no way. I take it back, I don't wanna swap," Evelyn scrunched up her nose.

"I don't think so," Gene shook his head and grinned. "You asked me if I wanted to swap and I agreed, so the deal is done. There's no going back."

"That's not fair," Evelyn argued. "You failed to tell me what I would be swapping you for."

"That ain't my problem," Eugene shrugged as they headed back inside.

"Gene, please, I am begging you right now," Evelyn clasped her hands together at her chest. "I will do anything, I mean anything, if you will please let me look at Randleman's cheesy feet."

Spina looked up from the bed he was making and frowned when he heard Evelyn's comment. He just shook his head and frowned. She could be such a strange girl.

"Ralph, that's not how it sounds," Evelyn assured him. "It would have made total sense if you'd have heard the entire conversation, believe me."

"Don't explain yourself to me," Spina shrugged. "If you have some kind of weird fetish for feet then that's your own business. I won't judge you for it."

Evelyn shot Eugene a look of pure annoyance but apparently he thought the entire thing was hilarious judging the smug grin on his face.

"Tell you what," he relented. "You promise me that you're gonna sort that thing out that we discussed before, and I'll agree to trade back with you."

"Ok it's a deal," she answered reluctantly.

... ... ...

That night

The pub was full. A typical night in Aldbourne. George and Buck were playing darts against Babe and Joe Toye, while a few of them watched on. Evelyn had wanted to go and have a chat with David Webster about a book he had lent her a few days before, but Bill had persuaded her that staying with them would be more fun. By persuaded, she meant forcibly restrained her. So here she was.

"Alright now Lieutenant, nice and easy. We still got a shot," George encouraged Buck calmly as he aimed to throw his next dart. Which he did and completely missed the board. Evelyn frowned. Not that she would ever tell her brother this, but Buck Compton was easily the best darts player in the entire company. Probably in the entire regiment actually. And even though they all knew that Winters wasn't keen on him gambling in any shape or form with the men, whether that be through darts or craps, he did it anyway. "Tough break. You're having a tough night. People have tough nights."

"Sorry George," Buck apologised, but Evelyn thought he couldn't have looked any less sorry if he tried.

"Nice shot, Sir," Bull commented, handing his darts back, and Evelyn was almost certain she saw a hint of a smirk on his face. Something fishy was going on. She was sure of it.

"Thank you Bull," Buck smiled and handed the darts to Babe.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," Babe smiled, lining up to take his shot. A little smirk on his face, he looked more than a little confident that he was going to blow Buck Compton out of the water.

"Go on, Heff. Shoot 'em out," Toye said, squeezing Babe's shoulders encouragingly.

"Finish me up," Buck added. Him and George were most definitely up to something, but she just couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"See this," Toye murmured.

"What does he need?" Luz checked.

"Double seven," Babe answered, not taking his eyes off the board.

"Here we go."

Babe aimed the dart, and with no trouble at all, hit the double seven with a satisfied grin. Evelyn clapped.

"What the fuck are you clapping him for?" George smacked her on the arm. "You're on our team."

"I am?" she frowned. This was news to her.

"Uh yeah," George looked at her like she was stupid. "You're always on my team, and that's not changing just because there's yet another person from what Bill claims to be the best state in the whole country in our midst. No wonder Buck here lost if you were too busy sending all of your luck to that ginger haired steak Philly."

Evelyn tutted and rolled her eyes, going to get her drink from Johnny. George was such a sore loser.

"You're embarrassing the Lieutenant here," her brother told Heffron, handing him a pint of beer. "Here, have a drink."

"Don't mind if I do, Sarge," Babe grinned like the cat who got the cream as they turned to face the rest of the room, where three replacements were sitting together at the closest table to them, chattering between themselves.

"Better start winning money soon, I think your buddies here are starting to miss you."

"Yeah, they do look kinda sad don't they," Babe agreed.

"Heartbroken," Evelyn muttered.

"They're just serious fighting men is all," Bull commented, puffing on his cigar.

"Well, I think I'm gonna go introduce myself," Bill decided.

"Oh for crying out loud," Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"Would you just quit it with the background commentary for one minute," Bill snapped at her. She shot him a glare and gave him the middle finger.

"Careful what you say now," Bull warned. "Don't take much to set my guys off."

"Yeah, you got some wide eyed killers right there, Bull," Johnny commented dryly, and Evelyn who was taking a sip of her soda snorted it out everywhere.

She loved Johnny's droll sense of humour. Bill scrunched his nose at her in disgust and pulled up a seat. Evelyn shook her head and turned back around to speak to George. Poor replacements. Who knew what kind of shit they were going to have to listen to from 'Old Gonorrhoea'.

"You know it's a good thing we weren't gambling," Buck chuckled, shaking Babe's hand.

"Oh boy we would've gotten killed," George laughed.

"You wanna bet?" Babe asked.

"I'm not much of a gambler..." Buck protested. That's a blatant lie if ever I've heard one, Ev thought.

"Pack of smokes," Toye decided. "Come on."

"Hey, come on!" Babe encouraged, knowing he and Toye were going to be victorious given Buck's piss poor performance last time.

"First one to hit the bulls-eye?" Buck decided.

"Yeah, give it one shot," Babe agreed. "One shot."

Buck looked at George and raised his hands questioningly, his lips twitching.

"Sure, why not," George nodded.

Suddenly Evelyn gasped as she understood what was happening. But before she could warn the other two, George started patting her hard on the back.

"You alright Ev?" George checked. "Sounded like you were choking on something. Shut up and I swear I'll make it worth your while," he mumbled out of the side of his mouth.

"Make it two," Buck upped the stakes a little.

"Two packs," George agreed with him.

"Alright, here we go," Buck spoke as he held his dart up ready to aim. "Here we go, George."

"Lieutenant, are you gonna shoot lefty all night?" George asked casually, before Buck could throw.

"Hey come on," Joe muttered angrily, the penny finally dropping. Babe looked at George and Buck and frowned, as though he couldn't quite believe he had played. Like he couldn't believe they had broken his trust in such a way. Evelyn actually thought it was rather endearing how in that moment he showed just how naïve he was.

"Just curious," George smirked. "'Cause he's right handed."

"George. What would I do without George Luz?" Buck grinned, changing the dart to his other hand and throwing it, where it landed effortlessly right on the bulls-eye.

"Boop," George grinned, just adding salt to the wound.

"Two packs gentlemen," Buck held his hands out, his blue eyes twinkling.

Evelyn chuckled. Joe Toye looked like he was about ready to murder the pair of them while Babe handed his cigarettes over with a sigh.

"You're just as fucking bad as these two," Toye glared at her.

"Oh for God's sake, Joe, you've known these guys for how long now?" she raised an eyebrow at him indignantly. "You should have guessed what they were up to. You've only got yourself to blame. How about I buy you both a drink to soften the blow a little?" She laughed at Joe's noncommittal murmured reply.

"Hey, if you're getting them a drink, then don't me and Buck deserve one too?" George was outraged. "We were the winners after all."

"Yeah, cheating winners," she grinned, heading over to the bar.

While she waited for her drinks, she glanced back at Toye who was having a go at George about the whole thing. George, however, looked far from perturbed with his trademark cheeky grin on his face as he smoked one of his newly acquired cigarettes exaggeratedly just to wind Toye up even more.

"I swear one of these days someone's gonna punch his face in."

Liebgott was leaning forward on the bar, his arms crossed in front of him. Evelyn was ridiculously aware of his presence as she turned to look at him. The smirk on his face, his smell, the way the top of his arm was lightly brushing against hers. She blushed thinking about the kiss they'd shared, and then felt like an absolute idiot because he probably knew why she was blushing which then made her blush all the more. Come on Ev, get it together.

"I call first dibs," she joked, trying to ease her nerves.

"I don't know how you put up with him. He's like having an annoying child permanently attached to you," Lieb grinned, and her stomach jolted.

"True," she conceded. "But he's also pretty hilarious; although you better never tell him I said that."

"My lips are sealed," he assured her. Please don't talk about lips. Not when I'm trying so hard to forget about yours and mine together right now. "You want a drink?"

"Nah, I'm good," she shook her head, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear as it fell out of her bun. "I just ordered."

"Ah right," he nodded. Liebgott started strumming his fingers on the bar top as they waited in what could only be described as an uncomfortable silence. Eventually, he decided to say something. "So, about the other night..."

"Hey y'all listen up, I got an announcement to make," Smokey's (un)dulcet tones rang out across the room, abruptly cutting off Liebgott and whatever it was he wanted to say to her. Evelyn could have screamed. The conversation she had been waiting to have for almost a week had finally arrived, only to be interrupted before it could properly begin. "This here is Carwood Lipton."

"He's already married, Smokey!" Malarkey shouted from a corner, getting a few laughs around the room.

"This here is Carwood Lipton," Smokey repeated, putting his hands on Lipton's shoulder and smiling. "The new easy company first sergeant."

Despite her annoyance, even Evelyn smiled at that piece of news. She liked Lipton and was glad for his promotion.

"As befitting his position, he says he has an announcement to make."

"Well, I hate to break the mood here boys," and girl, Evelyn mentally added in her head. "But we're moving out again."

The joyous mood evaporated as they all glanced around nervously at one another.

"Here's your drinks, Miss," the bartender said quietly.

"Thanks," she tried to smile, handing him his money before turning her head to look at Liebgott, who was as downcast as the rest of them. She wanted to ask him to continue with whatever he had been going to say but somehow it didn't seem appropriate. So instead she tried to make light of the whole situation. "Maybe we'll get lucky again and Patton'll overrun our drop zone so we won't have to go."

"Nah," Lieb shook his head. "I don't think so. I reckon we're really gonna go this time. Don't ask me why, but I just do."

... ... ...

17th September, 1944

It turned out Liebgott was right. The next day they had been in one of the hangars on the airfield in Uppottery listening to Winters and Nixon explain that they would be dropping deep into occupied Holland as part of Operation Market Garden. Their objective would be to liberate Eindhoven and wait for the tanks to come and secure the road that led to Arnhem. According to Nixon, the German soldiers in Holland were either very young or very old, and therefore nothing to really worry about. It all sounded simple enough. In fact, the only downside was that they were to be under British command. Nobody liked the idea of that, but if it was going to help end the war by Christmas they would just have to accept it.

It was Sunday afternoon and everyone was loading up their gear; this time all feeling slightly more prepared than they had before jumping into Normandy.

"Watch and learn kids. You wanna live? Jump ready to fight," Evelyn overheard Cobb saying to Miller, Garcia and Hashey; three of the new replacements.

"How the fuck would he know that?" Evelyn smirked at Bull. "He may as well be one of the replacements himself right now, seeing as last time he didn't even make out the plane."

Bull chuckled, and then nudged Evelyn when he noticed a truck had pulled up close by with two very familiar faces in it. Evelyn, however, only saw one of the faces as she'd had her back to the truck when it had driven past.

"Popeye!" she grinned, running towards him. She flung her arms around him, overjoyed. She hadn't seen him since she had packed him off to the hospital after Brecourt, and she was beyond ecstatic to see him again. "You're a sight for sore eyes."

"Welcome back, Popeye," Bull smiled, shaking his hand.

"Thanks Bull."

"Popeye went AWOL just in time to jump," Lipton told them.

"You what?" Evelyn frowned. "So you mean after all this time your ass still ain't better? What have they been doing to you in that hospital?"

"Well, it's fine if I just don't sit down," Popeye grinned. "Besides, if it gives me any trouble when we get over there, you can put your magic hands on me again can't you?"

"Pervert," Evelyn snorted.

"What's he doing here?"

Evelyn followed the direction of Bull's gaze and let out a gasp when she saw the last person she had ever expected, or hoped, to see again. Sobel.

"Well he's the newly appointed regimental S-4," Popeye answered.

"Supply officer?" Bull frowned.

"Yeah, you got it," Lipton nodded, smirking.

"He picked me up in Aldbourne trying to find you guys," Popeye explained.

"He know you went AWOL?"

"He knows. He just said I was lucky. I could sit out this jump if I wanted. I said I didn't want to. So he says 'hop in'."

"Hop in?" Bull and Ev spoke at the same time, their shock apparent. This was not the Sobel they knew. The Sobel who had emotionally, mentally and physically knocked them all down time after time for months on end. The Sobel they knew would never use such a phrase, nor would he allow such a blatant disregard for the rules to go unpunished.

"Yeah, I know. I couldn't believe it either," Popeye shrugged, obviously as surprised as the rest of them. "Anyway, maybe he's gonna court martial me later?"

As a chuckling Lipton took Popeye off to get some gear, Ev and Bull turned their attention back to Sobel who was saying something to Malarkey. Malarkey looked ridiculously uncomfortable and Evelyn kind of felt bad for him.

"Wonder what that's all about?" Bull wondered aloud.

"Could be anything with Sobel? In fact it's probably something stupid. Maybe Malark's got a crease on his collar and well, that would be a complete disaster when it came to fighting Krauts, wouldn't it? How the hell is gonna fire his weapon properly without a pristine uniform? Just gives me the shivers thinking about something so awful."

She would find out later that Sobel was berating Malarkey about the bashed up motorcycle that neither Bull nor Evelyn had seen in the back of the truck. Sobel knew that it was Malarkey and Alton More who had stolen United States Army property and taken the motorcycle for a little joyride when they got back to Aldbourne. Heck, everyone knew it was Malarkey and More. It had been difficult to miss them, considering the amount of people they had almost ran over on their jaunty little ride. But after surviving D-Day, didn't they deserve to go a little wild? To revel in the fact that they were alive and well?

"Well, on that note I'm gonna go find Bill and tell him the joyful news," Evelyn decided.

"Nah, you're just going before Sobel can see you," Bull smirked. "I'll bet he still hates you now as much as did back at Toccoa."

"Guilty," she chuckled, with one final sympathetic look back at Malarkey. Poor Don.

When she found Bill, he already knew about Sobel's arrival. Apparently everyone did. He had driven right past them all. Evelyn wondered how she could have missed it, but in a way she was glad she did. Just one look from Sobel would have put the creepers up her and she didn't need that right before a jump.

"Did he say anything to you?" Bill asked.

"God no," she snorted. "I got outta there before he could see me. When I left he was chewing out Malarkey for something."

"Nothing changes then, eh?" Bill commented. "So, you alright?"

"Yeah why?" she frowned. "Shouldn't I be?"

"Well, we're about to jump into the middle of occupied territory again," Bill said slowly, like she was stupid. "Can a brother not ask his little sister how she feels about the whole thing?"

"Oh," she smiled. "Yeah I'm fine. Weirdly, I feel less nervous this time now that I know what to expect."

"Well don't think like that," Bill told her. "Remember that fear you had from D-Day and use it. I don't give a shit what Nixon says about the Krauts over there. In my opinion Krauts are Krauts; young, old, whatever. They're all out to kill us."

"Gee thanks for that little pep talk Bill," she commented dryly. "If I didn't feel nervous before, I most certainly do now. You ever thought about being one of them motivational speakers when this is all done? You'd be great at it."

"Sorry," he apologised, pulling her in for a hug, his chin resting on top of her head. "I just don't like this any more than I did the first time. I hate being separated from you. At least if we were in the same plane I'd feel like I could keep an eye on you more."

"Well first of all, it's not like you can hold my hand as we jump outta the plane to keep me with you anyway," she chuckled, imagining the image in her head. "And secondly, I've got a little faith that this time we are all actually gonna end up in the right drop zone and together. With any luck, we'll pretty much find each other as soon as we hit the ground and get into formation."

"True," Bill conceded, still not letting go of her. Evelyn closed her eyes, savouring the cuddle. "I forgot to ask you, how did Lucy take the news that we were leaving? I was heartbroken to have not been able to say goodbye. I love that kid."

"She loves you as well," Evelyn answered. Lucy had been devastated when Evelyn had told her that they were leaving, and this time they wouldn't be returning.

It had been a hard pill for the little girl to swallow, but Evelyn assured her that they would send frequent letters and that they expected all kinds of updates on life in Aldbourne. At one point, she had suggested going with them, stating that she was nine in two weeks and therefore old enough. Evelyn had smiled and ruffled her blonde hair, much like Bill always did. She told Lucy that the most important job she had was being at home where she was safe. It had been an emotional goodbye for them all, made much worse by the fact that Bill and the other NCO's had so much to do in such a short space of time that there was no physical way for him to be there even for a few minutes. "I don't know why she loves you so much though. Does she not realise what an oaf you are yet?"

"You'll regret saying that," Bill snorted as he started grinding his jaw, his chin digging into Evelyn's head with the movement. She laughed as she tried to untangle herself from his grip, but he was too strong. She kicked him in the shin and tried elbowing him but it still didn't work. This was something they'd done often as children, but apparently even at the grand old age of twenty one, she was still no match for her brother. Both laughing, Bill only let go when the call came for everyone to finish up getting on their gear and get to their assigned aircrafts.

"Be safe, Bill," Evelyn grew serious, flinging her arms around his neck one last time.

"You too kiddo."

... ... ...

The atmosphere on the C-47 was tense. But nowhere near as tense as it had been last time. Guys were praying, writing letters to their loved ones or just sitting in contemplative silence. Beside Evelyn, Babe's left knee was bouncing up and down like it had a mind of its own.

"You alright Babe?" Nothing. "Babe."

"Huh?" Babe frowned at her.

"I said are you ok?"

"Oh yeah, sorry," she nodded. "I'm fine. Was just thinking."

"Well don't think too hard, your brain ain't used to it," she joked, thinking Babe really didn't look fine. In fact, his lack of so much as an attempt to smile at her obviously hilariously funny joke was a sure sign of that. Without so much as a thought she reached over and grabbed his hand giving it a reassuring squeeze. Finally, a reaction. She smiled. "It'll be ok, you know."

"Thanks Ev," he smiled back. "I guess your brother was wrong about me not having to worry about getting in old Doris again though, eh?"

She had wondered if that might be part of what was wrong with him. A few weeks after arriving in Aldbourne, Babe had gotten a letter from his girlfriend back home, Doris. She was breaking up with him because she had met someone else. Evelyn thought it was a pretty awful thing to do to someone when they were overseas going to fight a war, but a lot of the guys got them. Babe, strangely, hadn't actually been too upset. Apparently he wasn't overly interested in her anyway. He hadn't even gone to see her on his last leave before heading for England. Evelyn supposed that said it all. Still, Babe was convinced that getting into an aircraft with Doris, albeit another Doris, plastered on the side of it was some kind of sign. A sign of what she wasn't sure, but she did kind of understand why it would put him even more on edge.

At that point, the plane's crew chief, who had been walking up and down the aisle collecting letters and promising to post them as soon as he got back to England, had obviously overheard their conversation. He explained to Bill that Doris was the pilot's wife and he had the pilot come out.

"Don't worry, I'll be dropping you right where you boys belong," he smiled, shaking Babe's hand.

Evelyn noticed that it seemed to ease Babe somewhat. Just a little, mind.

... ... ...

The jump into Holland had been perfect. Everyone was in the right drop zone; the sky was blue and full of sunshine. It was beautiful. After landing in a giant field and getting into formation, Easy moved out along with the rest of the 506th towards the Wilhelmina Canal, where they needed to secure the bridge to be able to cross. The people of Son were so happy to see them, thrusting whatever little food they had into their liberators in thanks. Easy had yet to come across any Germans, apart from the ones when they had landed who had been so far away that any shells they fired at the paratroopers mostly missed or just landed on the ground before they could even get close to their targets. As they neared the bridge at Wilhelmina, a shell from one of the German 88's fired, hitting a department store window. They all hit the floor as quickly as they could, and Evelyn watched in horror as Babe flew across the street and landed on the ground with a thud.

"Babe," she screamed, crawling over as everyone else began returning fire on the Germans.

Babe's eyes were closed but he was breathing. The impact had knocked him out. Evelyn tapped him gently on the face a few times until his eyes began to flicker open. Looking up at her, he frowned, wondering where the hell he was and how on earth he had gotten there.

"Christ, you gave us a fright," Evelyn smiled in relief. "Just stay there for a minute before you try to get up."

"No, I'm fine," Babe protested, trying to sit up. Evelyn sighed and helped him, knowing it was futile to try and argue the matter. Satisfied, and astounded, that he was fine, she gave him one last look before crawling away to check on everyone else. Luckily, and miraculously, the only injuries she came across were small and almost insignificant ones. She honestly had no idea how nobody had been seriously injured or worse.

Carrying on through Son, they almost made it to the bridge when out of nowhere it blew up right in front of them. As Evelyn and the other medics tried their best to deal with any injuries as swiftly as they could, Babe and the rest of the machine gunners began firing at the Germans, managing to push them back enough so that the remainder of the company could build a makeshift bridge to get across the canal. And makeshift it was; built from barn doors or anything else they could find that could take their weight.

After spending the night sleeping on the ground, they were woken up and given orders to push forward into Eindhoven.

... ... ...

18th September, 1944- Eindhoven

Eindhoven was a town in the midst of a celebration. If the people of Son had been happy to see them, their joy and celebration hadn't even come close to the scene around them now. There was a sea of orange everywhere in the shape of flags in people's hands, hanging from doorways and windows, and even orange party hats for all the children. There was music and singing, and such pure unbridled joy for the people who were part of a country that had been under German oppression for five years. Evelyn glanced around in complete wonder, a huge smile beaming across her face as she watched Hoobler scoop up a little boy and swing him around. In the distance, she could hear Lieutenant Peacock screaming for them all to keep moving, but as they found themselves embraced into the very heart of the celebrations, it was difficult to keep going. She chuckled when she saw Frank Perconte was embraced right into the heart of one woman's very well endowed chest. Lipton had to rescue the poor guy who looked almost drunk when he was able to finally come up for air.

"Ev, come here!" Bill and Babe waved her over to where they were standing in a group of paratroopers and Dutch alike, waiting to have their picture taken. Rushing over, she shoved herself in between Babe and Hoobler who both leaned down and kissed one of her cheeks each just as the camera flashed. Next to Babe, Chuck Grant had his tongue stuck down some Dutch woman's throat and he wasn't the only one. The Dutch women were very free with kisses for their liberators, and even Evelyn had already had to avoid a few of them. In the end she had taken off her helmet so that they could at least see she was a woman. Pushing her way through the crowd, she would smile and nod every time one of the Dutch would shake her hand heartily and thank her. It was one of the most moving experiences of her life to know that already they had made such a difference to the lives of these people. It was humbling actually.

Her joy was short-lived when she caught sight of Liebgott a little way through the crowd. It wasn't the numerous lipstick stains covering his face that bothered her. How could they when everyone had them? No, what was bothering her was the way he looked to be enjoying the kisses as he grinned and happily accepted the kisses as though they were a perk of the job. But to him maybe they were? She had spent over a week wondering what the kiss between them had meant, and right at that moment it was as though she finally got the answer she was looking for. It obviously meant nothing. To Liebgott, she was sure that kissing her had meant only the same as it did kissing these women here. It was all a game; a bit of fun. A nauseous pit opening up in her stomach, she turned her head away and caught up to Eugene. Ah, finally a man who didn't seem happy with all the kissing. Poor sweet Eugene. But the look in Eugene's eyes wasn't only one of discomfort or unease, it was one of almost horror. Peering through the crowd to see what had caught his attention in such a way, she gasped at what she saw. It was enough to put any thoughts of Joseph Liebgott far from her mind. Five or six women were on their knees, crying, sobbing and bleeding as their hair was being roughly sheared and their clothes torn from their bodies, leaving their underwear exposed for all to see. Some had swastikas drawn on their foreheads. A crowd of Dutch was gathered around the women, the pure unadulterated hate pouring from them as they chanted and spat. Evelyn had never seen such hatred in all her life. One woman met her gaze as she sobbed, her hair being torn out in clumps and Evelyn felt tears welling in her eyes. Tears of anger; tears of sadness; tears of confusion. What had these women done that was so bad they deserved to be shamed in front of the whole town? She should put a stop to it. As an American, as a woman, how could she allow something so diabolical to continue?

"No," a firm hand stopped her as she went to step forward. She looked up questioningly and met Nixon's grave stare. "They slept with the Germans."

Suddenly the hatred made complete sense. Forcing herself to look away, she carried on through the crowd, a strange feeling lying heavily on her chest.

... ... ...

They were tired but content. Night had fallen and after sending out a few scouts to watch the perimeters of the town, everyone else was relaxing and finding anywhere they could to eat and sleep. And it had to be said the Dutch were willing to let them stay anywhere they could fit, such was their joy at being liberated.

Evelyn, Bill, Babe, George and Frank had taken shelter for the night in a house belonging to an older woman and her son, who was part of the Dutch Resistance. Gathered around in the living room, Evelyn was listening to the incessant and contented chatter of her friends. She was listening but she wasn't really hearing. Her focus was on two things. The first being Liebgott. As much as she tried to pretend it didn't hurt that their kiss obviously meant nothing to him, she just couldn't help it. She was only a human after all. The second thing plaguing her thoughts was those women back in the square earlier that day. She couldn't get their faces out of her mind, the sounds of their pitiful crying. The longer she thought about it, the more she felt guilty for not helping them. Sure, they were accused of sleeping with Germans. But what if it wasn't as simple as that? It was a war. People had to do anything they could to survive. What if sleeping with a German soldier was the only way to feed your children or to ensure your family members were safe and protected? She couldn't help but think that things were nowhere near as black and white as they seemed, and it bothered her.

Sighing, she pulled out her hair pins letting her hair tumble down to the small of her back. It was knotty as hell and she began to try and untangle it with her fingers, wishing she could untangle her thought as easily when she felt a warm hand on hers. Looking behind her, she saw the woman who owned the house watching her, an almost fond smile playing at her wrinkled lips. Holding up a hairbrush, she murmured something quietly as she stroked Evelyn's hair, a longing look in her kind blue eyes.

"My sister had long hair like yours," Michael spoke up. "Although hers was as fair as yours is dark. It was the colour of the wheat that grows in the fields. My mother used to spend hours each night brushing it until it was soft and shining. It would make her happy to do this for you."

The woman positively beamed when Evelyn gave her a small nod and turned her head back to face the others. The soft strokes of the brush on her hair was so calming that Evelyn found her eyes closing and for the first time all evening she felt a peace come over her. The woman hummed a gentle tune and Evelyn thought she could hear a sadness in her voice.

"Where is your sister now, Michael?" she asked after a while, opening her eyes.

"Gone," he said simply. Sadly. "When the Germans came, she was fifteen. She was pretty and sweet natured. I tried to hide her; to get her out of Eindhoven, but by the time she agreed to leave it was too late. One of the soldiers took a liking to her one day when she went to the shops. Usually we would never have let her go alone, but my mother was ill and I was away with the resistance. After he had his way with her, he discarded her as though she was no more than a piece of rubbish. When she didn't return home from the shops, my mother became worried but was too ill to search for her. I came home a few days later, and I found her in one of the ditches on the road that leads to our farm from the town."

Evelyn opened her mouth to say something. To offer her condolences; anything. But nothing would come out. By now, the others had stopped talking and had heard the whole story. Sombre silence filled the room. Evelyn glanced at Bill and knew from the look on his face that he was putting himself in Michael's position. Trying to imagine what it was like to lose a sister in such a way but at the same time thanking God with every bit of his heart that it wasn't his sister. A single tear fell from Evelyn's eyes and she bit her lip to stop more falling. Suddenly she felt ashamed of herself. She had spent so much of the evening worrying about Liebgott, feeling sorry for herself, when she was in a place surrounded by people who knew the true meaning of sorrow and loss in a way that she could never imagine. Of course, she had lost Henry, but somehow it was different. Henry had chosen to enlist; chosen to fight, despite knowing what the consequences could be. But a young girl of fifteen hadn't. She had just been living her life as every other fifteen year old when her freedom, her innocence and her life had been taken from her. It was incomprehensible.

As she felt the woman's hands deftly braiding her now smooth and shining hair into two braids that wound around her head like a crown, she took the photo that Michael was handing her. A young girl sat on a fence, her hair blowing in the wind and a smile plastered on her face. She looked as though she didn't have a care in the world. She was beautiful.

"Her name was Charlotte."

Later that night, as they lay their heads down to sleep, Evelyn felt Bill shuffle closer to her. His hand reached out and grabbed one of hers, squeezing it tight. She closed her eyes as tears leaked out of them.

"I love you," she whispered, squeezing his hand back.

"I love you too," she heard him say. It sounded like his voice cracked but he cleared his throat quickly. "I'll always love you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.1K 3.6K 51
Every ending has a new beginning.
924 38 6
Duncan Lee Quest runs away from home to escape the demons of his past. What happens when his past catches up with him? is joining the Paratroopers to...
30 0 9
When a strange girl falls (literally) into Tony's life, it changes them both, for the better.
1.1M 29K 30
An ordinary girl falls for an extraordinary soldier.