Romeo and Juliet is a Toxic L...

Galing kay IsaIsNervous

[Cobra Kai OC x Miguel Diaz] Xiomara Renée Josefina Santiago would never describe her life as normal, but thi... Higit pa

01 - Boldness Be My Friend
02 - Prometo
03 - Romeo and Juliet is a Toxic Love Story
04 - Fighter Pilot Can't Fight
05 - New Teachers
06 - Two-Headed Snake
07 - Least Favorite Child
08 - Eye of the Storm
10 - Snakes and Soapboxes
11 - Boys are the Worst (Most of Them, Anyway)
12 - Like Father, Like Son
13 - Complicated
14 - To Be, or Not To Be
15 - Happy Now
16 - Cobras
17 - Yet the Traitor Stands in Worse Case of Woe
18 - Hell Raisers
19 - Hell Raised
20 - Focus on the Good
21 - He Noticed
22 - Talking Isn't Doing
23 - What's Done Can't Be Undone

09 - Heart Palpitations

67 3 0
Galing kay IsaIsNervous

Things at Cobra Kai have gotten a lot better for me. I even earned myself a little nickname from some of my peers. It's no secret that I'm the fastest one at the dojo. I just fight in a quick manner. Sensei just quips that I really took 'strike first' to heart. It's why they started calling me 'Viper'. I tried to say that vipers actually aren't the fastest snakes, but I was dismissed almost immediately and the name has stuck. I don't mind it. It's pretty cool. I haven't been given a nickname here other than 'Shakespeare', among other derogatory things, so it's nice to have one that's positive.

I've been training with Mr LaRusso at his house in his super nice home dojo. The vibe is so... serene. It's nothing like the Cobra Kai dojo. It's strange. Sensei Lawrence and Mr LaRusso's fighting styles are almost exact opposites. Sensei is all about offense, which was made clear when I asked about defense and he reminded me that the best defense is more offense. But Mr LaRusso is all about defense, which was made clear when I asked about offense and he told me that karate is about self defense, but also showed me how all the defensive moves could be use to counterstrike. I wonder if they would get along. I'm starting to think the answer would be no, but having different karate styles doesn't dictate your entire life, right?

I've also noticed that a certain coworker of mine has been doing his cleaning duties in a very particular manner. I have no doubt Mr LaRusso is subconsciously teaching Robby karate, just like he did for me. As much as I like having one-on-one training, I don't think I'll mind having Robby with me eventually. It'll be nice to have a little company, and it'll still be a lot quieter and more focused than training at Cobra Kai. I walk out of the garage to the break room, catching a glimpse of Robby waxing one of the showroom cars. Wax on, wax off... I can't help but smile. I wonder if he feels the same way about the chores that I did. Most people would, right? Probably. I continue on my way, day now a little brighter than it was before.

——

"I just don't get how you win basically every spar," Miguel says as we sweep the mats, which is just part of cleaning up every evening. Was it that unfathomable that I could win? Okay, maybe it was before, but we've been training side by side for months. He's seen me get stronger and faster- even more so than before- yet he's still asking this? Ay caramba.

"It's just basic defense," I shrug. It is. I use the things that Mr LaRusso has taught me to evade kicks and strikes from my peers and it works almost every time. Although whenever I use certain things, I find that Sensei looks at me a little funny, as if I'm someone he recognizes, but isn't quite sure where from. I try to dismiss it, but it's happened a couple times now and it makes me nervous every time. It's not cheating, right? I'm winning fair and square... just not quite completely with things that he taught us. And I limit the techniques to blocks, for the most part, leaving the other stuff out of it to prove that I can still win using mainly the Cobra Kai style. But at the same time, if 'defeat does not exist in this dojo', shouldn't that mean winning even if it's by means that are taught by another? No sé, but it's working for me.

"The best defense is more offense,"

"Yeah, yeah, I know,"

"You should teach me your tricks one of these days,"

"I don't think you would like the method I used to learn my 'tricks',"

"If I can handle almost drowning in a pool and having baseballs shot at me, I think I can handle however it is you learned how to not get your ass kicked," Miguel says, leaning on the broom. I just smile and shake my head.

"Also... you're a girl."

"I'm aware..?"

"So you know about girl stuff! How do I get a girl to notice me? You know, like someone who might be way out of my league?" he asks. My heart beats faster. Is this some sort of tactic to- no. No... it's most certainly not... Miguel has a thing for Samantha LaRusso. I know that, I've known that. Why does my brain choose to torment me with thoughts like that over and over? Ay de mí, it's exhausting...

"Samantha already notices you. She's obviously got some sort of thing for you, given the way she smiles whenever she's around you," I say, doing a fair job of keeping the annoyance out of my tone. It's how girls always smile whenever Xalvador does or says anything for or to them, although he's about as enthusiastic about even the prettiest girls as I am to this. He could be a real thot if he wanted to, but he's not. It's admirable. Not that it's hard to not be a thot. I'm living proof.

"How'd you know it was her?" he asks. I look up at him, giving him a look.

"It's obvious. You're practically giggling whenever she's around. And your eyes get all wide like you're a deer in headlights, not to mention-"

"Okay, okay, I get it. So what should I do?"

"You're asking the wrong person Mig, I've never been in a relationship," I say, almost sighing in something like exasperation. It's true. I'm not attractive enough for people to notice me, and I'm not social enough to make up for it with personality. Also, holy shit, I didn't mean to call him that.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"What do you mean you've never been in a relationship?!"

"Have you?!"

"Well... no, but still! We're talking about you here! Sensei!"

"No-"

"Yes! This is crazy!"

Sensei Lawrence comes out from the office, joining us at the edge of the mat. Ay caramba.

"Renée has never-"

"I know, I can hear you from the office," Sensei says. You could probably hear him next door in the mini-mart too.

"She's a nerd like you. You guys only talk to each other and none of you have any game. Surprised you didn't get any guys in France though, aren't they supposed to be all about romance?"

Quoi? (what?)

"I was ten," I respond, dumbfounded, "and is this what we have to talk about? I thought we were talking about the girl you like."

"The girl he likes? It's you, isn't it? Hasn't he told you?" Sensei asks. My face gets red hot. I swear my heart stops beating. I can feel my hands start to shake. ¿Qué? What? No, no, Sensei is just doing that thing he does where he jumps to conclusions and just kind of says things. I can tell Miguel is embarrassed too.

"No, Sensei. It's this girl that goes to our school..." I say, breaking the heavy silence, voice quiet. I don't want to give Miguel a chance to completely shatter my soul with the answer. This is awful... and I have training with Mr LaRusso, so now I'm gonna be all out of it, damn it...

"Oh," is all Sensei says, though he sounds confused, "is she hot?"

No. I mean, Samantha is plenty pretty and I would go as far as to say cute, but she's not hot. What is hot is my entire body right now, particularly my face and ears. I need to get out of here.

"I have to go. I don't wanna be late for something," I say, grabbing my bag from the corner, and slipping my shoes on. I changed after all the other students left. I head for the door, pausing just before I leave.

"Don't forget to lock up, Sensei."

"I'm sorry I'm late Mr LaRusso, I had this thing, then I got stuck in traffic, and I- I'm sorry," I say as I walk into the home dojo, shaking my head to try and clear my thoughts. Upon looking up, I see two things of note: the first is that Mr LaRusso is smiling at me, and the second is-

"You," Robby says.

"You," I respond, just as I did last time we were in this situation.

"Is there anywhere you're not?" he asks, though he's smiling, so I don't think it was a comment made out of annoyance. I smile a little, flustered, and shrug my shoulders. We do seem to be in the same places a lot, mostly by coincidence.

"Sorry," I say, for lack of something better. His grin widens.

"No one else I'd rather train alongside," he says. Awe... that's sweet... Mr LaRusso smiles too.

"Actually Renée, you're here just in time to show Robby how we do karate here. You ready?" he asks. I can't help but smile with a nod as I slip my shoes off and set them, my phone, and my keys off to the side. As I take the floor, I get into a ready stance, Mr LaRusso doing the same. He gives me a nod to confirm that I'm ready, and I nod back, signaling for him to bring it on. I understand what we're doing here. He starts throwing kicks and strikes, so naturally, I start blocking. Wax on, wax off, hang up the coveralls, tighten the lug nuts, sweep the floor, set down the box, clock in, wax off, wax on, clock out-

And then it stops. Mr LaRusso grins back at me.

"You've gotten better at those. You move fast. It's like I have to keep up with you rather than vice versa," he says, "now, again, but this time I'll go slower and you say each move as you're doing them, okay?"

"Yes sir," I respond. I think I get it now. Robby doesn't know why he's doing the chores and now we're demonstrating. Pretty smart. We take our ready stances yet again, and go at it once more.

"Hang up the coveralls, use the wrench, tighten the lug nuts, lift the box, clock in, set down the box, sweep the floor, wax on, wax off, sweep the floor, jack the car," I narrate until I've got him on the ground with a combination sweep the floor and jack the car. I quickly help him to his feet, feeling guilty until I realize he's grinning at me. Robby looks shocked, confused, and impressed.

"What- no way, no way that's all those chores you make us do," he says.

"Trust me, I was shocked at first too. Here, Renée, throw some punches. Robby, wax on, wax off," Mr LaRusso instructs. We obey, getting into position to do so.

"Ready? Begin."

I start throwing basic, medium speed punches, all of which Robby blocks by waxing on and off, seeming to shock himself with how easily he blocks everything. Mr LaRusso calls time, and I stop punching.

"Woah," is all Robby responds with.

"Right? I got in a fight with this guy at my school who's been bullying me since I moved here and he started throwing punches and it's like I didn't even have to think about it," I say. He grins.

"Exactly the point. The repetitive motions help drill it into your brains to the point where, like Renée said, you don't even have to think about it," Mr LaRusso says, "pretty cool, right?"

Robby and I both nod, smiling over at each other and at Mr LaRusso.

"Let's get back to work. Take your ready positions,"

——

"That was crazy. When Mr LaRusso told me he could teach me karate, then started making me do all those chores the way he did, I thought he was full of shit, but after that?" Robby says as we walk out to my car, "and you... you're amazing. You move so fast."

I can't help but blush a little. Dios mío, no, Santiago, stop. You already know how things went with Miguel, why would you do that to yourself again? Robby probably has someone else he's talking to anyway, he's certainly attractive enough for it.

"Merci," I respond, "you're not bad yourself, Keene."

He grins that grin that makes me smile back at me. Por Dios.

"Thanks," he says back as we get to my car.

"Do you need a ride? It's dark and I'd hate for you to have to skate all the way home in the dark," I say. I've had my fair share of having to skate and ride the bus all over creation and I do not enjoy it, so I figured I would ask.

"I'll be alright. Thanks for asking though," he replies, "but... would you take me up on drinks and skating this weekend?"

Miguel immediately pops up in my mind, much to my displeasure. Is he- no, this is like a friends thing. Also..

"I don't drink,"

"Me neither. I meant like smoothies or maybe coffee. I'll let you choose, my treat," he says. I think I'm having a heart attack. Is this what cardiac arrest feels like?

"That sounds nice," I say, "it's a hangout then."

"Great. I'll see you on Saturday," he says with a grin. And with that, Robby gets a little head start and skates away, leaving me to get in my car, more flustered than ever. This isn't like a date, right? Robby and I are just friends, and we still don't really know each other that well. No, we're just coworkers and skate partners- and now karate partners. Just friends. Nothing more, nothing less. Kind of like me and Miguel... no, no no no, stop. Por el amor de Dios, stop.

"You're home late,"

"¡Ay caramba! ¡Cabrón! You know I hate when you do that," I exclaim at Xalvador as I walk in.

"You have a curfew of 10:30," he responds, ignoring my statement. And it's 10:03. I don't see why he's doing this today, of all days.

"It's 10:03,"

"I thought karate ended at 7:30. What were you doing out so late?"

"Karate,"

"Xiomara Renée Josefina Santiago have you been drinking?" Xalvador asks using his firm voice.

"¿Qué? No, I told you, I was at karate," I say. Why is everything so crazy today? I just want one day where I can relax without having heart palpitations. Is that too much to ask for? I'm starting to think it is.

"Karate ends at 7:30. It's 10:04. Your facts don't exactly line up,"

"I was training with Mr LaRusso. I have been for months and you haven't cared or noticed, but now you do all of a sudden and you're all on my back about it. I didn't do anything wrong. I'm home before curfew, I didn't hurt anyone, and I was gonna make some rice before I went to bed, but I guess I won't do that because you'll probably just breathe down my neck the whole time and tell me I'm doing something wrong," I lash out, fed up with his doubting of me and the fact that he's using that tone he uses that feels like he's scolding me and it makes all of my muscles tense up. Not to mention he used my full name, another thing he knows I hate.

"Xio-"

"Chut (shh), just- just leave me alone.." I say, losing my energy at the end. I keep my eyes focused on the floor and try to walk around him, but he grabs my arm, stopping me. Without hesitation, I use what Sensei taught us to twist out of his grip, stealing but a glance at his shocked expression before escaping to my room, and locking the door, wanting nothing more that to calm my racing heart.

• • •

A/N- xio cannot catch a break

stay safe and take care of yourselves

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

1M 45K 90
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1.6M 54.6K 68
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
221K 5.2K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
981K 53.2K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...