The Heartbreakers.

By abigail_grayson

They tried to warn her. All he was going to do was break her heart. Well, then let him break it. *** High s... More

Prologue.
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Epilogue.
The Heartbreakers. Book Trailer
Episodes
The Heartbreakers. New Book Trailer
Swoon Reads
New Author Twitter!

Chapter Fourteen.

3K 107 31
By abigail_grayson

Song: Kissing A Fool- George Michael 

Three years earlier... 

Jaylee had just returned from soccer practice, completely exhausted. After twenty suicides and fifteen laps around the field, close to death was an understatement. She was pretty much having poisoned tea with death himself. It didn't help that she was a freshman and was just getting the hang of varsity soccer in high school. 

After quickly changing out of her sweaty practice clothes and getting a quick shower, she decided to go to her boyfriend Eric's house. She and Eric had been together for a year and a half, and she couldn't have been more happier. Eric treated her so well. It seemed surreal that a senior could love her, a freshman, but he did. 

Or she thought. 

"I'm going to Eric's, mom!" Jaylee yelled, and her mom hugged her before Jaylee walked out the door. 

"Okay! See you later, honey." 

Jaylee walked down the sidewalk of her neighborhood, since Eric lived right down the road from her. Once she reached his house, she spotted a new car in his driveway. At first, she thought it was one of his friends from football, so she decided to let herself in. When she walked through the front door, everything was eerily silent, until she heard a moan coming from upstairs. Her heart started beating faster, and she quickly ran up the stairs towards Eric's room. She slammed the door open, and what she saw broke her heart right in half. Her whole being was shattered. Eric was making out with Miley on his bed, where the night before he had told Jaylee he would never love another girl as much as he loved her, and she was the only girl for him. 

Funny how easy promises were broken and lies were told. 

Eric and Miley snapped their heads towards Jaylee, and Miley smirked. Eric's expression was blank, and Jaylee thought he would have at least been shocked. 

"Hello, Jaylee." Miley greeted, and Jaylee prayed that Eric would get away from Miley, run to her, and tell her it was all a mistake. Jaylee could feel herself slowly breaking. Eric was her first boyfriend, and she loved him. Jaylee knew she would have forgiven Eric in a heartbeat had he asked her, but he didn't. 

Instead, he smirked at her, completely ruining the existence of the good Jaylee and turning her into the heartbreaker. 

They always said once the heart was broken, there was no going back. 

*** 

Luke ran out to his car once Jaylee was completely gone and out of sight. Instead of taking the exit to the market, he turned the other way, riding to a house. He parked the car, grabbed his phone, and texted the girl. 

Luke: Hey, I'm out here. Are you ready? 

He sent the message, and a couple seconds later, his phone vibrated. 

Yeah, I'm coming. 

The girl walked out, and Luke's mouth dropped. She was dressed in a leather black mini skirt and a hot pink crop top. She wore a pair of black stilettos, and her hair was perfectly curled, spiraling down her shoulders. She climbed into the passenger's seat of Luke's car. 

"Hey, baby." She flirted, her voice seductive, and she pressed a kiss to his cheek. Luke glanced over at her and smirked. 

"A kiss on the cheek? I think we can do better than that." The girl smirked as she placed a hand on Luke's thigh. 

"I will when we get to your house." Luke smiled and placed a hand on her thigh, slightly gripping. She let out a moan, and Luke smiled with pleasure. 

"Jaylee didn't suspect anything, right?" The girl asked as she rubbed Luke's arm, and he rolled his eyes as he pulled out of the driveway. 

"No. How about last night?" 

The girl snorted. "Please, she was too in la la land to suspect anything. She isn't exactly the brightest tool in the shed." 

Luke let out a chuckle as he hit the road towards his house. He pulled into his driveway and hopped out of the car rather quickly. He ran around to the other side of his car, grabbed her hand, and dragged her to his room. Once they were there, he threw his shirt off. He didn't bother to close the door-- no one else was home. Luke walked closer to the girl, wrapped his arms around her waist, and let his hands travel up and down her curves. She wrapped her arms around his neck, placing soft kisses against his neck. Luke closed his eyes and placed one hand on her leg, sliding her skirt up slightly. He rubbed her leg and crashed his lips into hers. He was going to treat her right, and Jaylee was nonexistent to him then. 

Jaylee was halfway home when she realized she had left her wallet at Luke's house. She would have waited until tomorrow to get it, but it had her license, and she couldn't risk getting a ticket. So, she made  a u-turn and headed back to Luke's house. She parked in the driveway and walked inside, grabbing her wallet. Jaylee heard walking coming from upstairs, and automatically, she thought it was Luke. She decided to walk upstairs since he was back from the market. 

Instead of going directly to his room, she went to the bathroom first. She walked to his room with a smile on her face, but the sight she saw completely shattered her heart. Her breath caught in her throat, and she could feel her eyes burning with tears, begging for release. Luke was on top of a girl, kissing her and rubbing her leg. His shirt was off, as well as her skirt. 

Luke was cheating on her. 

Jaylee rubbed her eyes, praying it was just a dream, but it wasn't. It was all real, and it was right in front of her tear filled eyes. 

"Luke?" She breathed out, her voice cracking, and Luke's head whipped up. He saw the betrayal flash in his eyes, and his heart dropped. Hell, it broke his heart when he saw the look in her eyes. He already knew he had ruined them. 

What had he done? 

The girl under Luke popped her head out, and when Jaylee saw who it was, she felt her heart shatter even more. 

She sucked in a sharp breath of air and stared at the girl with wide, pained eyes. "Adele?" 

Luke heard her voice crack, and his heart completely shatter. Call him girly, but damn, hearing Jaylee's voice crack was enough to kill him. He glanced at Adele, and they were both speechless. He would have said something right then and there, and maybe salvage what he had just destroyed, but for some reason, he couldn't find the words. He glanced back at Jaylee, and he watched as tears filled her brown eyes. She ran out of his room, and Luke scurried off of Adele, sprinting after Jaylee. The girl he was supposed to love. 

"Jaylee, wait!" He yelled, but she kept running. Could he really blame her, though? He was cheating on her, just because he was bored. He hated himself for it. Luke finally caught up to her and shot his hand out, wrapping it around her arm. 

"Jaylee." He said breathlessly, his chest heaving, and she whipped around, mascara streaked tears cascading down her face. Even though the sky was letting out torrential downpours, as if showing how bad that day had become, it wasn't hard to tell she was crying to her heart's content. Luke wanted so badly to reach his hand out and wipe away her tears from those pretty brown eyes, but he knew he had messed up, and that was no longer his place. 

"How could you!?" She hissed, staring up at him with those big brown eyes that held all the betrayal and agony in the world. Those big brown eyes were letting out too many tears for Luke's liking, but it was his fault they were there. 

"I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to, it was just--" 

"I should have known you were just using me!" She sobbed, wiping away her tears, "I should have known the game was still happening!" 

Luke's eyes grew wide, and he knew he had to calm her down. "Baby, it's not like tha--" 

"Bullshit, Luke! You won the damn game! You broke my heart!" She took a deep breath, and Luke knew she was going to break any second, and that broke him. "Are you satisfied now!?" 

Jaylee shook her arm out of his grip and started to walk away, but Luke couldn't just let her go like that. He had to think of something, or else he would lose her forever. So, with everything in him, he yelled the three words he had never expected to say to someone in his life. 

"I love you, Jaylee!" He shouted, and she froze, so he continued. "I'm in love with you." 

Jaylee felt her heart clench in her chest. "I'm in love with you too.", was what she wanted to scream back, but she didn't. A part of her wanted to run into his arms and hold onto him forever. Those three words were the one thing she had always wanted to hear, and now she was hearing them. Her heart broke a little more, and she glanced at him over his shoulder. Luke held all of his hope in his hands, and he prayed to the heavens above that she would say them back. She had to, or else he would lose half of him. 

But it was funny how little words meant when they were a little too late. 

Jaylee faced him once again, and when Luke glanced at her eyes, he could see how badly he had broken her. She was conflicted, but he could see the hurt was overpowering what she felt. 

"It's a little too late for that now." She muttered, and all the hope he held dropped from his hands like a vase, shattering to the ground. He couldn't blame her. It was all his fault. Their eyes met again, and he knew it was most likely the last time he would see those big brown eyes, and he tried to mentally take a picture of them in his mind. He had never liked the color brown, but now it was his favorite color, all because his girl had those brown eyes that he loved deeply. And now, they were gone, as well as her too. 

Jaylee reached her arms behind her neck and undid the clasp of her necklace. She held it in her hand and stared at the necklace one last time. Luke's eyes darted to the necklace in her hands, and his breath caught in his throat. Jaylee wiped away her tears and threw the necklace to the ground, causing it to sink deep into a puddle. Luke felt his heart slowly shatter, and his eyes burned with tears. 

"Happy six months to you too." 

And then she was gone. 

************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 291 34
Brooklyn Nova didn't have an easy childhood. Her mother passed away when she was young, her and her older brother moved out of their father's house w...
1.9M 58.9K 51
Highest rankings: Chicklit: #1 (11th May 2020) Soccer: #1 (21st June 2020) High school: #6 (22nd August 2020) Crush: #27 (22nd August 2020) Follow my...
222K 9.9K 46
Innocence is subjective. When push comes to shove: things change. And sometimes you just have to try not to explode. Pure's always been bullied for h...
73.3K 2.6K 23
"I'm sorry that I put you in this situation." "I'm not following." I really wasn't. "This. Us! What we did last night was reckless and so so perfec...