even weirder stuff || strange...

By hiraethkomorebi

"Man, that sucks. Is there gonna be a new problem every year? It's like, what, evil coming back for the anniv... More

Wᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ!
one - a cat on the road
two - party time
three - bullshit
four - the three (or six) musketeers are looking for d'Artagnan
five - chad
six - cooking pancakes for the shadow monster
seven - fucking genius
eight - that's what she said
nine - the gate
ten - crying in the bathroom? nah
eleven - the trap
twelve - bob newby, superhero
thirteen - chillin' in the van
fourteen - my name is kaz
fifteen - alive
sixteen - elizabeth
seventeen - the black hole
eighteen - sticking to the plan
nineteen - grounded
twenty - the star life
twenty one - the enchantress' cornflakes
twenty two - it iz what it iz
twenty three - the dancing queen
twenty five - late for tea
twenty six - kidnapping
SEASON THREE BOOK OUT

twenty four - the jorjor well year

548 26 26
By hiraethkomorebi

Monday, December 31, 1984

"It is the end of the George Orwell year," you state, looking at yourself in the mirror with a grave expression.

"Jorjor Well?" Kazuo, who was lazily laying on your bed, echoes. You and Mona exchange a tired gaze. She was sitting on your desk, watching you make dramatic poses in front of the mirror to hype yourself up.

"George Orwell," you repeat. "You know, the book, 1984. It's the end of the George Orwell year."

"Right," Kazuo hums, uninterested. "Is it time to go yet?"

"No," you look at the clock. "The party starts at 7PM. There's still a good half hour."

"I'm so stressed out," Mona comments, descending from her perching spot on your desk to plop herself on the bed next to Kazuo. "I don't like parties."

"But Alex'll be there," you remind her before jumping in between her and Kazuo, making the latter squeak fearfully, and then giggle when you lend safely without hitting anyone.

"Yeaaah," she sighs, looking up at the ceiling. "I don't know what to think. Should I make a move?"

"Girl," Kazuo stares up as well, and you decide to focus your gaze on the little dents of the plafond. "This is your choice. We can't force you to do anything."

"Yeah," you nod. "But we think you should go for it. Seems to me he's very interested."

And it was true. Alex had came up to your group a few times at school, even eaten with you twice, and he was a cool guy. He went along with your crazy stories, even though most of the time he was utterly confused. A cool guy that couldn't stop looking at your best friend like a lost puppy.

"I'll see if I feel like it at the moment," Mona says, and you bite your lower lip pensively. There was still a small bit of uneasiness in the back of your mind at the thought of Mona having a boyfriend, but it was nothing important.

The three of you stay like this for a while, in the peaceful but not silent atmosphere, thanks to the music Kazuo turned on earlier.

You hear some rustling downstairs, and decide to go and check who it is. As you reach the top of the stairs, you see Steve is already there, leaning over the railing to see what was going on in the living room.

"Parents are here already," he warns you. "They'll probably want us to greet their friends when we get down."

"No way," you shake your head. "I think we're gonna sneak out by my window."

"You sneak out by your window?" Steve snaps his head towards you, frowning.

"Duh," you roll your eyes and pat his shoulder as you go back to your room. "You can use it if you want. Easy to climb down."

"You think I can't climb down my own window?"

"You're pulling the words right outta my mouth," you smile teasingly before disappearing in your room. Kazuo and Mona were in the same position you left them.

"Was it a burglar?" The boy asks in a lazy tone and a thick French accent, making it hard for you to understand at first.

"Worse. My parents."

"Shit," they both sit up in panic. "What do we do?"

"Calm down! You're allowed to be here, you know?"

"Your mom doesn't like me," Kazuo states. "Must be the leather jacket."

"Surely. You're a delinquent. In fact, do you guys want to embrace your criminal natures and climb out the window to avoid meeting my parents' coworkers?"

They look at each other, take about two seconds to telepathically agree, and then turn back to you.

"Absolutely."

"Let's do that."

___

Since you had gotten out of your house way too early for Tina's party, you decide to drive around Hawkins until it's started for at least twenty minutes. Arriving first was never fun.

When Kazuo parks in Tina's house street, you can hear the music blasting from the living room already. There are people in the garden, drinking or making out, but most are inside since it's only just begun.

"You think Alex's already here?" Mona wonders out loud.

"You should go look for him," Kazuo shrugs as you exit the car. "The house isn't too crowded yet."

"Okay," she takes a deep breath. "You guys wait here, I'll be back soon."

"M'kay," you wave her away as you lean over the porch's railing, watching her go with a small smile before turning to Kazuo. "What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Do you think you're gonna find a girl tonight?"

"A g- yeah. Yup, absolutely. I have to find me a sweet cute hot sexy American girlfriend chick, don't I? It's about damn time."

You laugh at his exaggerated reaction. "I wouldn't say that. No pressure, man, just wanted to know if you had anyone in sight."

"Oh. Well, no. You?"

"Neither."

"Let's just get married," he nudges you playfully, and you chuckle, hitting back.

"In your dreams."

___

Mona did find Alex, and you guys decided to raise the level of the dancefloor for a while. You had been crazily jumping around with Kazuo, bumping into basically everyone, while Mona and Alex were more timid in their movements, which you found really cute, when you realized there were more and more people filling the room.

And yet not once did you happen to see Tina. She was supposed to be your host, you smile to yourself as you think about it.

"I'll go get something to drink," you tell Kazuo, who nods and wraps his arm around Mona and Alex's shoulders, encouraging them to jump with him.

As you serve yourself some soda in the kitchen, where a few people are conversing away from the crazy ambiance of the living room, someone bumps into you, almost making you drop your cup. You don't say anything about it, but the person stops nevertheless.

"Harrington."

You consider jumping out of the window to avoid discussion when you see the white sleeveless shirt and the denim jacket, but it wasn't a smart move as said window was closed.

"Hargreaves," you say, turning to face Billy.

"It's Hargrove," he corrects with a frown.

"Oh," you say tonelessly as you take a sip from your cup. "Okay."

An awkward silence takes place. You start hoping he'll stop here and leave, but it's too much to ask for.

"How's the brother?" He smirks smugly, assuming you knew he had beaten Steve up. And you did.

"Fine. How's the sister?" You tilt your head with an innocent smile as his disappears. In your eyes, he reads that you know Max was the one who truly won the fight.

"Half sister," he mumbles as he angrily chugs down the rest of whatever was in his cup. "See you around, Harrington."

"'See you around, Harrington'," you mock in a high pitched voice as he walks away. "I sure hope not. Asshole."

"Who's an asshole?" A familiar voice sounds behind you.

"Your nemesis," you tell Steve, who is pouring some beer into a plastic cup.

"My what?"

"Billy. Hargr... Uh, Billy something. Max's brother."

"Yeah, I know who he is," he chuckles. "Is he here?"

"Duh. He's the new Hawkins King or whatever. Can't miss any parties, I guess. Did you get here a long time ago?"

"About ten minutes. My hair was a mess, I couldn't leave the house like that," he passes a hand through his perfectly combed, majestical hair with a smug smile.

"Did you sneak out by the window?"

"Couldn't. Mine was too high," he admits. "I had to meet everyone downstairs and play the good son."

"Told you you could use mine."

"Yeah, but you also said I couldn't go into your room when you weren't there," he points out. "And you weren't."

"Congratulations. You found the loophole in my argument."

"Thank you," he says proudly.

You leave Steve with his victory and go back to your friends, crossing ways with Chad on the way there. You try to ignore him the best you can, but you know he saw you reek at the sight of his face. Welp.

As soon as you approach them, Kazuo catches your free hand to make you spin around countless times, making you dizzy. You and your little group find your way to the couch, that was fortunately left unoccupied, and sit to chat for a bit. Alex was on the one end while you were on the other, and Kazuo was spreading his legs open widely so that Mona was pressed against the guy, which didn't seem to bother her. As a result, you didn't have much personal space left and ended up pushing Kazuo's leg away.

At some point Mona leaves to get a soda and comes back with one for Alex and not Kazuo, who acts offended but still refuses politely when Alex kindly offers him a bit of his. You roll your eyes at his behavior despite knowing this is exactly how you would have reacted.

After you shared insistent gazes with Mona as a slow song started, she finally finds the courage to invite Alex to dance, because visibly the guy was not going to take the first step. They leave the couch, giving you a bit more space, and Kazuo scouts slightly away from you.

"She's having fun," he points out as your best friend laughs awkwardly as Alex hesitates to put his hands on her waist.

"Yeah," you smile faintly. "That's great."

"What's wrong?" He turns to you, noticing something was off.

"Nothing," you chuckle, leaning your head on his shoulder. "You're so sweet."

"I am," he nods in agreement. "Well, if you wanna tell me..."

"She never wanted to come to parties with me before," you purse your lips pensively. "She's only here because Alex is."

"Ah. You're jealous."

"Am not."

"Yes you are, and it's okay! She's your best friend, you're jealous of Alex who's gonna be her boyfriend because she wants to spend time with him. I'd be jealous too."

You think about it for a second. "You're right. I'm a bit jealous."

"I know I'm right," he winks at you before taking your hand. "Which is why we will now dance it off. Yes?"

"Yes," you giggle as you stand up with him, a faster song playing.

"Wait, I'm kinda thirsty now," he says.

"You can drink from my cup," Mona, who was coming back to the couch with Alex, pats his shoulder. "It's just soda."

"Sorry, I finished mine," Alex smile apologetically.

"Thanks," Kazuo grabs Mona's drink from the small table she had left it on and chugs the whole thing down, raising his hand innocently when she playfully glares at him. "Here's your cup."

"Thank you so much," she ironizes, and Kazuo salutes them before dragging you to the dancefloor.

You start vibing to the music with him, less crazily than earlier because you were tired. He takes funny poses to make you laugh and forget about Mona and Alex, which you're immensely grateful for. However, after a few songs, his movements get woozy and he starts to lose his balance a bit and ends up crashing into you. You have to help him stand so that he doesn't slip to the floor.

"Kaz?" You question, getting worried as you notice his heavy breathing. "Kaz!"

"I don't... feel too well."

"Do you want to get some fresh air?"

"I don't know," he groans. "J'ai la tête qui tourne."

"Okay," you stagger under his weight. "I'll help you to the couch, then we can ask the others for help."

"What?"

You don't bother answering, instead dragging him towards your previous sitting position. He was clearly out of it.

"What's going on with him?" Mona frowns as you drop him on the couch.

"He looks drunk," Alex comments.

"Mona, are you sure there wasn't any alcohol in your drink?"

"Yeah!"

"Kaz," you kneel in front of him. He hums. "Did you drink anything other than Mona's soda earlier?"

He shakes his head. No. What happened?

"Maybe he's, like, diabetic or something?" Alex tries.

"I think he would have told us," Mona argues.

"Some kind of panic attack?"

"I don't know. He doesn't seem very panicked."

You don't really listen to them, instead trying to talk to him, but he's unresponsive.

"Hey, look who it is!" A cheerful voice sounds over the music before the person reads the room. "Oh, shit. Sorry."

"Eddie," you turn to the fuzzy-haired guy. "Hi."

"Hi, Harrington. What's going on with him?"

"We don't know," you say, in a trembling voice. "He's acting weird."

"Has he had anything to drink?" Eddie asks more seriously, sitting on the couch next to Kazuo.

"Just a soda. No alcohol."

"Took any drugs?"

"No?"

Eddie turns Kazuo's head in his direction, forcing his eyes open so he could check them.

"Yeah, he's high."

"What!" You and Mona say in unison as Eddie turns Kazuo's head back to your as if to show you something.

"Pupils are dilated. He definitely took something, guys."

"No he didn't," you try to stay calm and explain, but panic starts settling in your body. "He's not into these things, and we've been with him all night."

"Listen, I don't know what to say, (Y/n) Your friend's high. Maybe you just didn't notice him take anything!"

"All he had is a soda! He doesn't even drink alcohol!"

"Maybe there was something in the soda," Eddie shrugs.

"It was mine, and I don't feel weird at all," Mona states. The older boy narrows his eyes.

"So, he drank from your cup," he points to Mona. "And you didn't put anything in there, right? Right?"

"Why would I?"

"Just asking, sweetheart. If you didn't put anything in your drink, then someone might have."

"Someone spiked her drink?" You exclaim in shock.

"Most likely. And your friend drank it in her place."

"Oh, crap," you let out, turning back to Kazuo who was still awake but seemed lost in thoughts.

"Did you do this?" Mona doesn't lose any time worrying she might upset him and questions Alex, who raises his hands in an attempt to calm her down.

"No! No, no, no, I would never do that! I swear!"

"You were the closest to the table I left it on."

"But you guys left to dance after that," you remind her.

"She left her cup alone?" Eddie quietly disapproves.

"She's not used to parties," you explain.

"Mhmm."

"Then anyone could have done it," Alex continues to defend himself. "Mona, I swear. I would never have done that to you."

"Who did it then?"

You suddenly remember seeing someone who held a grudge against you earlier, and your eyes roam the room to find him. It couldn't be...

You make eye contact with Chad, who seemed very interested in what was happening and yet immediately avoids your gaze when you spot him. After he sees you're still watching him, he starts walking away and trying to disappear in the crowd of people.

"Oh, it's on," you jolt up, ready to run after him, but a hand around your elbow holds you back.

"Stay with Kaz," Mona orders in a low voice, eyes locked on Chad who was struggling to make way through the dancefloor. "I'll take care of this."

You obediently sit back down and let Mona track the boy down, followed by an anxious Alex who you knew would jump in in case your best friend was losing in a fight with Chad. Not often did she get angry, but when she did nothing could stop her. You focus back on Kazuo, who was looking at you with the goofiest grin, leaning in head back in the couch.

"Hello gorgeous," he giggles as you give him a worried gaze.

"Hi hideous," you smile faintly. "Eddie, what should we do with him? Call an ambulance?"

"I don't know!" He throws his hands in the air, looking offended. "I've never spiked a drink before!"

"I sure hope so! I was just asking because, you know, last time I checked you sold drugs."

"I'm not proud of it."

"I don't care much right now, Eddie. Should we, like, call the police on Chad? I don't know where the goddamn phone is in this house."

"I don't know if they'll come for that," Eddie sighs. "They're probably ultra busy tonight for New Year's Eve."

"Maybe," you nod in agreement. You and Kazuo could always talk to Hopper about it another day. What was important now was getting your friend out of the party.

Just as you were wondering how to manage to go home with a very drowsy Kaz, a.k.a. the only one of your friends trio with a driver's license, the response was given to you in the form of Steve. Your brother was striding in your direction, dragging a Mona with messy hair and a bloody nose, but the biggest grin ever plastered on her face. Alex was following, trying to check on your merry friend.

"What the hell happened, (Y/n)?" Steve frowns as Eddie disappears, not wanting to be affiliated with the incident and trigger the anger of the oldest Harrington sibling. "I found your friend basically sterilizing Chad in the garden!"

"He spiked her drink," you quickly state before turning to Mona. "You kicked his balls like I taught you! Good job."

"He did what?" Steve was left agape, looking in between you and Mona incredulously.

"But Kazuo drank it," you achieve the explanation, pointing to your sleepy friend. "I need your help to get him back home."

"Yeah, sure," he shrugs before placing a hand on Mona's shoulder. "I'm sorry I stopped you."

She wipes some blood off her nose with a wince. "I think it's better that way. He pulled half of my hair off."

She then proceeds to check on Alex, who had apparently tried to jump in and taken a kick to the stomach. He assured everyone he was okay.

Steve helps you get Kazuo to his car, and you settle in the back seat with him.

"Did Mona get Chad?" He asks as he takes your hand, intertwining your fingers.

"Yeah," you smile. "Wish I could've seen his face."

"Me too."

"He was in pain," Steve poorly describes as he sit behind the wheel, opening the back window for Mona who had just knocked on it. "What's it?"

"Alex proposed to drive me home. After he just took a beating for me so I think we can trust him, and you guys can take care of Kaz earlier."

"Aight," Steve shrugs. "I'm fine with it. (Y/n), are you fine with it?"

"Of course," you motion her to go for it. "Maybe it'll make up for the weird first date."

"Uh, it wasn't a date," she flips her hair off her shoulder sassily before her eyebrows raise in panic. "Or was it?"

"I'd say so," you look at Steve to know his opinion on the matter.

"It totally was a date."

"'t was one," Kazuo mumbles from your shoulder, on which he was leaning.

"Oh god," Mona fans herself before finding composure again. "Do I have to flirt with him?"

"You were doing just fine until you started a fight, but it was deserved," you say.

"I say go for it," Steve advises.

"Mona the enchantress," you remind her, and she rolls her eyes.

"Okay, let's go," Steve starts the car, and Mona waves at you as she walks away, not before telling you to call her to give news on Kazuo.

"No sex on the first date," said Kazuo grumbles jokingly, and you pass your head through the still open window to transfer the message.

"Kaz said no sex!" You yell loud and clear in the street, sending your best friend in a whirl of embarrassment. In the distance, you hear Alex laugh about the comment, but Mona doesn't take it like he does. As she spins around with a murderous gaze, you panic and start frantically hitting the seat in front of you, which so happens to be your brother. "Steve, drive away, Steve hurry, I'm not joking this is a dangerous situation and if you don't go right now-"

You are cut by the roaring of the engine as your brother speeds away in the street, leaving a fuming Mona behind and a bump in the back of your head as you're propelled in your own seat.

"Thank you," you bring a hand to your heart to feel your fast heartbeat.

"No worries. Is he doing alright?"

You squeeze Kazuo's hand, and he squeezes back.

"I'll be okay," he answers for himself. "But I can't go home like this. My mom would kill me before even giving me a chance to explain."

___

When you get to your house, having gracefully invited Kazuo to an obligatory sleepover, the guests are still there, and so are your parents. And dragging a boy, drunk in appearance, to your room in the middle of their little strategically social gathering would not help keep a peaceful relationship with your parents. Making Kazuo climb up your window in that state was not an option either. He still struggled to even walk.

Steve entered the house first, then opened the french windows of the garden so that you could sneak in from there. After this, your poor brother had to make diversion and talk to your parents' colleagues again, putting on a smile as your father bragged about him being in the basketball team and purposely omitting to talk about his grades. This managed to keep the guests interested long enough so that none of them turned their head away to see you help Kazuo up the stairs.

"Here we are," you lay him down on your bed. "We made it."

"Yay," he lets out tonelessly, making you snort. "Sorry for ruining the night, by the way."

"Honestly. You're such a douche for that," you say sarcastically before helping him take his shoes off.

"I didn't know it would end with you undressing me."

"You like that don't you," you slap his ankle lightly. He doesn't react, barely feeling the impact due to his legs being asleep.

"I must say the way you slipped off my shoes was very sensual."

"It won't go further than that."

"Pity."

He yawns, and you decide you can trust him not to look as you change into your pajamas, warning him beforehand. When you turn back around, you find him pressing his hands over his eyes the best he could, which makes you chuckle. You hop on the other side of the bed, taking a spare blanket because you didn't like to share one and wrapping yourself up like a burrito.

"If you feel like puking there's a bin next to the nightstand on the floor," you inform him.

"Thank you. You're very nice."

"The nicest person ever."

"No, but, I'm being serious. You're a beautiful person. I'm glad I found you."

This fills you with joy, and you kick the air out of delight. You found being called a beautiful person immensely gratifying.

"Then thank you. I glad I found you, too."

"I trust you so much," he tries to shuffle next to you to get comfortable, but his limbs feel too heavy for it. "I trust you more than Enzo."

"Enzo?"

"The guy who told everyone in school my secret."

"Oh..."

"I think I can tell you my secret."

"I think you're not in the right state of mind."

"No, listen-"

"Nuh-uh," you close your ears. "You've been drugged. Maybe when you're sober you'll regret telling me. Stop talking."

"Okay," he laughs in slow motion, betraying how tired he was. "Okay "

There is a slight knock at the door. Steve opens it slowly, letting some light from the corridor in.

"Everything alright?" He whispers.

"We're fine," you assure him. "Thank you."

"Okay. Don't die during the night," he nods to Kazuo. The boy grunts approvingly in answer. "Goodnight. Happy New Year."

"Is it 1985 already?"

"Half past twelve."

"Jeez, where'd all the time go. Happy New Year, Steve."

"Ha' n' yer," Kazuo grumbles.

___
words: 4043

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 6 12
- 𝐈 𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 | ❝ i'm just not good for you anymore. i need you to ...
38.2K 775 34
steve harrington x FEM! reader all rights go to the duffer brothers for the main story (along with the script) and characters. I'm just some silly pe...
10.8K 247 41
my first story :D is about max mayfield and daniel harrington Daniel Harrington is a popular rich boy of 12 years old because of his older brother St...
341 0 9
ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀʙʏꜱɪᴛᴛᴇʀꜱ || ꜱᴛᴇᴠᴇ ʜᴀʀʀɪɴɢᴛᴏɴ uoʇɓuıɹɹɐH ǝʌǝʇS || sɹǝʇʇısʎqɐᙠ ǝɥ⊥ Stranger Things Steve Harrington Steve Harrington x Reader Steve Harrington...