ten - crying in the bathroom? nah

Sunday, November 4, 1984

"Do you know your name?"

"Will."

"Your full name?"

"William Byers."

"Do you know... Do you know who I am?"

"A... doctor."

"Have we met before?"

"I don't remember."

Owens hums. "You don't remember me?"

Will shakes his head.

"Okay. How about, uh..." Owens points at Mike. "How about this guy here?"

Will stares at him as if he was a person you hadn't seen in a long time and struggled to remember the name of. Mike just waves.

"Know who that is?" Owens presses. Will still doesn't answer. "It's all right. Take your time."

"That's... my friend. Mike."

"What about me, kid? You remember me?" Hopper tries. Will shakes his head. He doesn't remember him. Silence. "They tell me you helped save me last night. You remember that?"

He shakes his head again.

"What... What about her?" Mike grabs your arm and pulls you forward. "Do you remember her, Will?"

You try to smile reassuringly, thinking about how lost he must feel because of his memory loss. He had woken up about twenty minutes ago and asked who Bob was. This was when they realized something was wrong with him.

Remember me, you silently plead as he stares at you. Remember me, remember me, remember me.

"I don't know," Will answers tonelessly. Mike's grip around your forearm loosens slightly. You feel your heart ache at the thought that he couldn't remember any of the nights the both of you spent talking and watching movies at the hospitals, or the drawings he made you with the pencils you gave him, or you playing D&D with him and his friends from time to time.

"Do you remember anything about last night?" Owen questions. "About what happened?"

"I remember... they hurt me."

Joyce covers her eyes with one hand and turns to Bob, who hugs her for comfort.

"You mean the doctors?" Owens asks.

"No. The soldiers."

The soldiers, the one that went into the tunnels at the pumpkin field to rescue Hopper, Joyce and Bob, and were armed with flamethrowers.

"The soldiers hurt you?"

"They shouldn't have done that," Will shakes his head disapprovingly. "It upset him."

Everybody looks at each other, confused, but you and Mike exchange a knowing gaze. The shadow monster.

Owens opens a file, in which were a bunch of pictures of the Byers house. They had gone as soon as they heard about what was going on to investigate the place and maybe find some more clues. The photograph was of the drawing Will had made of the shadow monster, the one that looked like a gigantic spider towering above Hawkins.

"You say, 'upset him'. Is that him?" Owens hands him the picture, and Will nods. "Okay," he turns to the rest of the room. "Okay, I wanna try something. It's gonna seem a little odd at first, but I think it's gonna help us understand what's going on." He looks back at Will with a smile. "Is that okay?"

"Okay."

___

You sit on a counter next to Mike and Hopper as they bring a weird transparent box in the room. By stretching your neck a bit, you recognize one of the vines from the tunnels. It has been cut off, but it's still moving. Alive.