six - cooking pancakes for the shadow monster

Friday, November 2, 1984

"We need to talk," Mike says as he runs back to Dustin, Lucas and Max who were waiting on the stairs not far from you. "AV room, right now."

You follow behind and greet the others as you reach them. As Max gets up to join you, Mike turns to her with a frown.

"Party members only."

"Come on, Mike," Dustin tries, but his friend shakes his head.

"No! This is non-negotiable."

"Sorry Max," the boy says as he gets inside.

"Sorry," Lucas echoes, and you're left alone with her.

"This is for the best. You don't want in on this," you smile awkwardly and leave as well, quickening your pace to catch up with the others. Once again, you find yourself locked up in the AV room with Dustin, Lucas and Mike. The only missing person compared to last year was Eleven. You brush this though away as you lean against the door, listening to what Mike has to say.

"Will didn't want me to tell anyone, but on Halloween night he saw a sort of shadow in the sky."

"Note to self: never tell Mike a secret."

Dustin snorts quietly as the others look at you tiredly. You motion for them to continue.

"A shadow?" Lucas asks, confused. "What kind of shadow?"

"I don't know. But it scared him. And if Will really has True Sight... I mean if he can really see into the Upside Down, maybe he saw that shadow again yesterday."

"So that's why he was frozen like that?" Dustin guesses.

"Maybe."

"Can it hurt him?" Lucas wonders out loud. "I mean, if this shadow thing isn't from our world..."

"I'm not sure... Dustin?"

"Well, if you're in another plane, you can't interact with the material plane, so theoretically, no, the shadow can't hurt him."

"He lost me there," you and Lucas share confused gazes, which reassures you you're not alone on this.

"Well, if he has True Sight, meaning he can see in the Upside Down... That's all there is. He can't touch anything there and nothing can touch him," Dustin explains.

"Like a ghost," you nod in realization.

"Yeah, kinda, I guess."

"Then the shadow couldn't have hurt him yesterday."

"Yeah, if that's even what's happening," Mike sighs. "This isn't D&D. This is real life."

"So what do we do?" Lucas asks.

"We acquire more knowledge. I'll go to Will's after school. See what's going on."

"I'll come with you," you perk up. "In case it's, you know, dangerous and shit."

You also wanted to finally get your axe back.

"Cool," Mike smiles. "Lucas and Dustin, you stay here and find Dart."

"Dart?" Dustin exclaims. "What's he gotta do with that?"

"Will heard him in the Upside Down. I don't know how yet, but he's gotta be connected to all this. He's gotta be. If we find Dart, maybe we can solve this thing. Maybe we can help Will."

___

After your discussion with the boys during lunchtime, you have to go back to class for a bit, and it is a weird experience sitting next to Kazuo with his black eye and hearing people whisper about your new achievement. Even your teacher seems to have heard of it and avoids your gaze for the whole class, not interrogating you once. This was great. Like a vacation. You used to be her favorite student, at least until Kazuo moved here and snatched the place from you. You didn't complain, though, as it meant she would stop sending you knowing looks when you had no idea what was happening.