Shut Up & Listen

By vonize-Arie

a story about falling in and out of love. Bear with me, this is my first book! Book 1: Published 02/2020, Com... More

shut up & listen
the check up (intro):
the trip downtown (one):
the trip downtown (two):
the need to know:
que lio (what a mess):
que lio: the remix (ft. kwabena):
WILD IS THE WIND
TAKE CARE
.FEEL ME.
BLACK
Reality Check
Fear Not
INTERLUDE
Prelude To Initiation
INITIATION
EMOTION-LESS
Keep It Together
Flipped It
UNHOLY WAR
Fight or Flight
ROSE COLORED GLASSES
Ctrl
DAMN.
Collective: Part One
Collective: Part Two
.WHAT DO YOU MEAN.
LET IT ALL OUT THEN
DIDN'T CHA KNOW
MOONLIGHT SONATA
WABI SABI
INTERLUDE : BOOK TWO
Like Old Times?
A Niggas Needs
MisUnderstood
The Living Dead
Always, My Brother
(UN)Familiar
LaLuna
The Witching Hour
Whitney & Bobby... and Robyn
F U M B L E
C L E V A
T a l k T o M e
Out My Mind, Just In Time : part one
Out My Mind, Just In Time : part two
Out My Mind, Just In Time: part three
Out My Mind, Just In Time: part four
Heller?
GodSpeed
do not cross
Safe
chey & sadΓ©: a commentary
feels like...
Untitled Part 54
Luv, Actually
Baby Blues
where's your loyalty?
days in the west
LUV: Listen
LUV: Understand
LUV: Validate
Manifest
[another one]
qtna
A child with the blues
interlude: War, what is it good for?
Backseat
Oh No, I Hope I Don't Fall
Whipped Cream
Old Familiar
HEAVY SIGH : an interlude
When Brothers Father: Part One
When Brothers Father: Part Two
4K
Breaking In
Blood On Me
Where Did The Night Go
the check up, outro (finale)
ayooo 😭
FOR THE PEOPLE WHO FEEL
[re] born : (book 3) ACT ONE
INTERLUDE : BOOK THREE
1.lost ones
2. get back
interlude: OGs
4. and i wonder if u know...
5. uncle sam, goddam
6. Mrs. Midnight
QUESTION
7. Until Tomorrow
8. don't trip
9. that motherfucker is not real!
10. puff daddy
11. crissed crossed energy
12. Keeper of the flame
13. f**k the world (1)
14. f**k the world (2)
15. evil eye
an interlude πŸ’•
16. Maverik & the times (1)
17. But, am I the drama?
18. Maverik & the times (2)- Holle's interlude
interlude of options
19. You've got to learn
[baby]boy: (book 3) ACT TWO
21. Prelude to Interruption
22. Interruption
23. On the Way to the Show
24. Free Shows
25. No more playing house
ayo, wanna know what's next?

3. stained glass

165 6 0
By vonize-Arie

August 13,2022
12 noon

|cecil, 27|

[]
The world never looked so bleak for the brother of Colin Adebanjo. Having popped up years after not showing up for their mother's funeral and not showing or calling for their father's, he felt obligated to at least make a call for Cobe's funeral. However, his son, C3, had built a relationship with both Kwabena and Cole and all but forced his father to make an appearance at the twenty-two year olds fune. After parking at the church, Cecil jr.'s son spoke up saying, "Why do we have to go in?"

Cecil turned his head, facing the boy in the back seat, "You just begged to be here."

"Well I didn't know we would have to see a dead body."

"It's not a dead body, It's Uncle Cobe."

"I don't want to see a dead body."

"Alright then, stay in the car. I'm going in."

"Why? You didn't go to grandad funeral or grandma's."

"Cecil." Chey scolded, "Watch your mouth."

Cecil Jr scratched his head in frustration.

"I'll stay in the car with him." She offered, placing her hand on his thigh.

"No! I want dad to stay with me and you go in."

"I have to go in, C3." Cecil pushed.

"Why do you need to see a dead body so bad?"

Cecil got ready to respond buy Chey stopped him. "Three, you don't go to a funeral to look at dead bodies. You go to honor the person who died and to support the family. To remind them that you love them and care about them. Daddy's brother was very good friends with Cobe and we should go in to sit with him so he isn't alone while he's sad."

"There's a lot of people already."

"But they're not Uncle Cole's friends and family. We are."

C3 was quiet in response to his mothers words. He unbuckled his seatbelt and so did the two adults.

The three of them walked into the large church where the colors from the stained glass windows decorated the sanctuary because of the sun shining through. It reminded Cecil of the first and last funeral he attended aside from his step mother's funeral at the top of the year.

It was 2005. May 2005. He sat with his mom and Dad near the front of the church and watched as a man with two young boys and a baby was escorted by a middle aged woman up the long aisle, their faces and creme colored suits illuminated by the colorful sunbeams. The small group reached the creme colored casket topped with beautiful blue and white lilacs and lavender flowers bouqued together on the bottom half.

Soft sounds of weeping echoes throughout the half filled church as they stood at the altar, looking at their mother in the casket.

"The ultimate sacrifice." A voice could be heard over the sanctuary as a woman stood at the podium in the pulpit. "A mother's love cannot be duplicated or compared. Nothing compares." She continued. The woman gestured towards the man with the three children, "These little babies have lost something truly precious. May the lord be with them." She bowed her head, "May God send them many mothers and surround them with love. Take care of the children, Father. Never leave them alone my God." She prayed over them. "Guide them and protect them as they navigate this world." She looked back over to the pew the family was sitting on, "Alonso, Damon, Aijalon you are loved. Look around." They did. "This is your family. These are your loved ones. You are not alone." Everyone hummed in agreement, assuring the three children. "We ask now that the family come forward with memories, and remarks. Please keep it under two minutes."

Cecil's father got up and made his way to the altar as the first. The ten year old held his father's hand, following him. Cecil sr. looked about the congregation, "I didn't know Luna all that well, but Maverik and I are good friends." He started, "We go way back to elementary. We grew up in the same neighborhood. But you know how life goes. As we got older, we grew apart." He sniffed. "I remember about what seven, eight years ago? I got a call from a pay phone." He chuckled, making eye contact with Maverik, "I almost didn't answer. It was my brother calling to tell me he was getting ready to welcome his first kid and he was nervous. He asked if me and my wife would come by, to the hospital. And that was how I first met Sister Luna, in the hospital bed, holding her newborn baby. I've been there for each of Maverik and Luna's children's births. From the first to the last. To Maverik and all three of you beautiful beautiful little children, It's all love from me and mine. I got whatever you need."

"Dad." C3 whispered as the walked down the aisle. "Are you nervous?"

Cecil nodded his head, lightly squeezing his son's hand.

"Me too."

Cheyenne lead them to the pew behind the family, beside Q, Cobe's friend who was in the car with her when Cobe was shot and killed. Deciding it was best for her son not to go up to the casket, they went straight to their seats, touching Oz and the rest of the family as they walked behind them. She squeezed Q's hand as she sat down next to him. They gave each other sorrowful glances before turning their attention back to the service.

"How did he die?" C3 asked looking up at his mom.

She glanced at Cecil Jr., a tear rolling down her saddened face. He laid his arm over the top of the pew, caressing her shoulder. No one answered him. On the other side, Cheyenne's hand was clasped with Quincy's.

The service went on and nearly four hours later everyone was driving from the cemetery to the repass.

"I bet Kwabena ain't even know all these people." Cole complained, watching the people eating, too many people to accommodate in the dining hall. "Motherfuckers didn't give a Fuck about him got the nerve to be eating and shit over his dead body. Did they even give you any money on the funeral?" He asked Oz.

"Yo, chill out." Cecil shook his head.

"I ain't gone chill out nigga. That bitch over there is his mom sister. Ugly ass didn't even bat an eyelash when Oz asked for help raising him. He wasn't even asking for money, Just a little help. He traveling and shit and had to bring Cobe with him because all the freeloaders and fake ass niggas IN THIS ROOM said no. Matter fact, they ain't even respond at all."

"Cole." Oz warned.

"Am I lying though? They shouldn't be here."

"This just ain't the place." He responded, level headed although feeling the same.

The table was quiet for a few minutes until C3 asked for more food. Cheyenne got up and took him to get some leaving the table which allowed Cole to finally have the space to get something else off his chest.

"And who the fuck is that nigga with the dreads that's all on Cheyenne?"

Cecil jerked his neck, "Whatchu mean all on her?"

"Holding her hands and shit? I was sitting in front of y'all and I saw that shit. I don't know how you aint. Then, the way he was hugging her at the cemetery?"

"Nah, you reaching." Cecil denied. "Plus, me and Chey ain't together. So she can do whatever."

"I thought you wanted things to change?"

"It's not even about me and her right now. It's all about li'l man. Making sure he aight."

"Mm." Cole pinched his lips together, watching Chey and C3 walk back to the table.

"That fish bussin' huh nephew?"

"Bussin bussin." He smiled, not taking a second longer before digging in on his second plate. Cecil watched him eat while sneaking glances at his baby mom wondering if he should even be taking Cole serious.

"I'm going by Dame house to see the baby if anybody else wanna come." Cheyenne announced with a nod from Cecil who was also going. "I told Sadé I would bring her a plate."

"How they doing? Sadé and Damon?" Oz asked.

Chey shrugged, "Cool I guess. As cool as they can be with a newborn."

"And that's a beautiful baby."

They all agreed with Oz. Dame and Sadé did make an adorable coffee-brown little girl.

"Did they decide on a name yet?"

"Yes." Cheyenne was excited to share. "Her name is Obadiah Kimani George-Craighead."

"Kimani?" Oz mumbled, looking out the corner of his eyes getting emotional. "That's nice." He smiled smally. "That's really nice." He stood as Jemaika arrived to the table to get her, "Thank you," he nodded, "for singing such a beautiful song for my boy."

She smiled widely, "Of course! And don't thank me, please. I grew to like Cobe. He was cool."

"You knew him?"

"For a brief time, yes."

"At any rate, I appreciate your presence. God bless." He said, hugging her loosely then leaving the group to go find his band mates.

"God bless you too!" She called after him with a sympathetic smile. "How could I tell him that his son tried to steal my man and run me over with a car?" She cooed to the table who laughed louder than they should have at a repass. "He was mean as fuck bro."

"He wasn't mean, he was a fighter."

"He always fought for what he loved for sure."

"Died doing that shit dawg." Chey mumbled, looking at her phone. Everyone stopped and looked at her, uncomfortable because she wasn't wrong.

"Anyway," Cole started, "I think we should head out before they try to make us help with clean up." He raised his eyebrows, standing up from his chair.

"You coming to Dame house?" Cecil asked Cole.

"Nah, I got plans."

"To do what?"

"Whatever I planned to do." He smiled sarcastically, linking arms with Jemaika before leaving the premises. Cecil sighed, waiting for his son to finish up his plate while Cheyenne went to make to-go ones. He played in C3's curls.

"You know I love you right?" Cecil asked casually, kissing his son on top if his head. "You better not forget it. Ever. You promise?" He asked the boy.

"Mhm." He mumbled.

"You gotta say it."

C3 swallowed his food and looked up at his father, making eye contact. "I promise I'll never forget."

"That's right." He rubbed the boy's forehead with his thumb. "That's right."

May 29,2023
Arie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

600K 28.1K 56
-COMPLETED- As if being the Sheriff's son wasn't stressful enough, he had to go fall, and get knocked up by Lakewood notorious bad boy who used to be...
444K 15.5K 25
Blossom and Bloom Graceful and Tender - She couldn't believe her ears, or her eyes. Her husband, the man she loves, the father of her unborn baby, wa...
436K 15.1K 20
[COMPLETED] When Fox shows up at The Centre (an institution for young men), drunk and spiraling out of control, he is greeted with flashing emergency...
845 70 7
A dead woman walking would make anyone do a double take. She never thought she would see him again. He never thought she could have survived. More qu...