RED QUEEN | DAEMON TARGARYEN

By isa-tnj

"It's my duty, my God-given birthright and my crown." - Mary, Queen of Scots In which Valyria Targaryen retur... More

RED QUEEN
ACT I | HALCYON
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
ACT II | PΔ€X
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
ACT III | RETROUVAILLES
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
ACT IV | BELEAGUER
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
ACT V | POLLEŌ
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTET FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
EPILOGUE
THE END

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

7.9K 453 145
By isa-tnj

THE UNORTHODOX PROPOSAL
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

127 AC, Sunspear

Valyria usually joked that things had a tendency to go bad when she left the rest of her family; unfortunately that seemed to be awfully true lately since it only took days after her return to King's Landing before she received the tragic news that Laenor Velaryon had been murdered. His body had been found inside the great hall of High Tide, burning in the flames of the fireplace after what looked to be a fight.

Another devastation for Rhaenys and Corlys who now had lost both their children within a few moons. Rhaenyra had lost her husband but did not appear especially devastated; sadly neither did the young Velaryon princes who clearly had grieved the death of Ser Harwin more than they did the man whose name they bore.

"Should we have the seamstress commission more black dresses for you?" Lewyn asked jokingly upon her return to Sunspear. When they first met, his dark humour surprised her but now she had grown used to it.

"That depends if you have any intention to die any time soon," Valyria smiled sweetly. "Do tell me in advance if you do and I promise to have the seamstress make a few more dresses." Taking off her riding gloves, the two walked side by side through the keep, "Did anything share-worthy happen in my absence?"

"Aelia is getting closer to hitting the bullseye," Lewyn informed her proudly. "A little more practice and we will have another lethal archer in the family."

Valyria smiled proudly and that smile only widened when said princess came running towards her, Daeron in tow. After a quick reunion, Valyria and Lewyn sat down in her study, discussing every new thing that needed her attention.

"You know, Serra told me something when you were away," Lewyn said, breaking the silence in the room as the two both were reading silently. "There has been whispers amongst some of the lords of Dorne, wondering if you are planning on being wed again."

Valyria froze, eyes widening in shock, "What? Why would they think that?"

"It's been over a year," Lewyn shrugged, although the sadness in his eyes when thinking about Qoren was still clear as day. "You are still fairly young and will live for many years to come. No one expects you to do it alone."

"That's one of the many disadvantages of losing a husband," Valyria snorted, rubbing her forehead when she felt a growing headache. "At first everyone expects you to be devastated, barely functioning under the pressure of grief and then – one day – you are supposed to be completely fine and find a new husband."

"No one will force you to find one," Lewyn pointed out. "All you will have to do is endure more noblemen attempting to woo you with their riches and charm. There are worse fates to suffer."

"Do you think they are the only one's discussing the possibility of me being wed once more?" Valyra said. "Otto Hightower has already begun whispering in Viserys's ear about finding me another husband. Probably one out of his own pocket. It makes him nervous that I have the power of Dorne and he seeks to control me."

"You are the ruling Princess of Dorne, not even the King of the Seven Kingdoms can force you into another marriage," Lewyn tried to reassure her.

Chuckling sadly, Valyria admitted, "Viserys actually promised me, when I agreed to Qoren's proposal, that should I ever have to marry again, I would be allowed to choose my own husband. Much like the rest of us I assume he thought Qoren would not leave us so very soon, but if he brings it up I will remind him of it."

"And might I ask who you'd choose then?" Lewyn wondered.

"No one," Valyria shrugged, turning her gaze down to the letters.

"That's a lie, you are lying!" Lewyn grinned teasingly. "There is someone."

"No, there is not," Valyria scoffed.

"Oooh, but there is, isn't there? You have to tell me!"

"Pray tell, why do I have to tell you?"

"Because I am your only brother," Lewyn said, as if it was obvious, "which means I have to decide if this man is good enough for my little sister."

"You would consider the Stranger to be a better man," Valyria snorted, relenting just a little bit which of course was a mistake. Once the dam cracked it was difficult containing all of the water.

"Now I am curious," Lewyn told her, the work on her desk lying completely forgotten as he turned his attention to her.

"It will never happen," Valyria shook her head dismissively.

"Why? Is he a bastard? You could always take him as your paramour then – no one in Dorne would judge you," Lewyn informed her.

"He is a bastard, but not in the way that his parents were not wed," Valyria told him. "Trust me, you do not want to know and you would most definitely judge me if you found out."

"I could never judge you," Lewyn reassured her. "Because it would be impossible for a man that you chose to marry to be completely bastardly and heartless."

"Do you really wish to know?" Valyria asked because never had she admitted her feelings for Daemon out loud to another person – at least none of the positive ones. Truth be told, she didn't even know what she felt for him other than that his mere presence made her feel whole.

"Yes, more than anything else," Lewyn leaned forward, arms resting against his knees.

"Daemon Targaryen," Valyria blurted out. Then she got to witness Lewyn's eyes widen to the point she feared they would fall out of his sockets. "The same man Dorne fought at the Stepstones which means I can not marry him since all of Dorne would turn against me. Therefore, I shall be perfectly content on my own."

It was simply her fate to be alone – the world did not want her and Daemon together...

She turned back to her work while Lewyn sat there in silence for a full minute before he managed to process the news, "Prince Daemon?"

"I told you, you would judge me. And I do not blame you because I judge myself," Valyria said. "Daemon is impulsive, arrogant, violent and dangerous. I should not feel anything for him – yet I do." It actually felt good to admit it out loud.

"Well," Lewyn said, "I can't understand it. But I do not think you should make choices about your own happiness based on what everyone else wants you to. For as long as you don't allow Daemon Targaryen anywhere near a position of power here in Dorne, I think we can all survive seeing him around."

"It's not just the dornish," Valyria said, fingers playing with her necklace. "It's Daemon. I don't even know if he will be staying in Westeros."

.•° ✿ °•.

127 AC, King's Landing

Ānogara landed on the ground inside the Dragonpit. Dragonkeepers ran forward as she slid down the wing. As always after a ride, she walked over and patted her dragon's neck. The scarlet dragon purred like a cat and nuzzled her large head against the princess. When she first started riding her dragon and Ānogara did that, she had fallen to the ground a few times. Now she knew what to expect and simply laughed.

A loud screeching rang through the pit and Valyria turned to see another red beast crawling out of the shadows. The Blood Wyrm's eyes shifted between dragon and rider. Valyria couldn't help but smile when she realised that Daemon was in fact there. Despite Serra sharing rumours about how Daemon and his daughters had returned to the Red Keep, this was an assurance.

Knowing very well that she couldn't treat Caraxes like she did Ānogara, since their dragons tended to not take well to anyone other than their riders. Therefore, she stood still and allowed Caraxes to approach her. Holding out her hand, Caraxes nuzzled against it and she let out a laugh, "Welcome home," she muttered in High Valyrian.

As the princess left the Dragonpit, Ānogara and Caraxes greeted each other. A horse was already there and she rode through the city. She rode through the gates of the Red Keep and dismounted her horse, leaving the reins over to a stableboy.

Taking off her gloves, she started walking through the keep. By now, her visits came more often and therefore she had asked Viserys to not make a big fuss about it. When she only came to the Red Keep every other moon, he'd have several people there to greet her each time. Personally, Valyria preferred to arrive without any fuss. Attention did not bother her but fussing did.

"Couldn't you bear being apart from me, princess?"

Valyria stopped walking and turned around, finding Daemon sauntering towards her. Somehow, he seemed more like himself than the last time she had seen him at Driftmark. A black velvet doublet over a red tunic and no one could mistake him for anything else but a Targaryen Prince.

"I admit, these past ten years I've grown so used to having a sea between us that it did not even cross my mind that you would be here," Valyria stated.

"We both know that is a lie," Daemon smirked, hands behind his back as he confidently sauntered in her direction. His eyes trailed up and down her figure, lingering at the curve of her hips that were accentuated due to her riding trousers and the slit in her dress.

Changing the subject, Valyria asked, "How is your stay in court treating you, Daemon?" As she talked, she began walking again, forcing him to take a few quick strides to catch up with her.

Daemon fell into pace beside her, hands behind his back as they walked, "Nothing has changed. I can't say I've missed it much."

"We both know that is a lie," Valyria repeated his previous words to her. "There can't have been as many people in Essos for you to provoke. I heard Viserys offered you a seat on the Small Council."

"He did," Daemon said. "Not a position, just a seat."

"It's a kind gesture from his side," Valyria told him. "And good because it gives you a say without any responsibilities you can ignore. How is Baela and Rhaena adjusting?"

Daemon shrugged, "Well enough. They miss their mother." His expression noticeably grew cold at the mention of his late wife, a clear sign he was trying to hide his sadness. That he wasn't in love with Laena didn't change the fact that, as Daemon put it, they were happy with each other. Despite many thinking the Rogue Prince was a heartless man he did love his family.

"Understandably, the grief of losing a parent that young is difficult for any child. But they still have you, remember that," Valyria said, speaking from her own experience. When her father died she was so lost and lonely; she would not have gotten through it without the presence of her grandfather, uncle and cousins. "Perhaps one day I could host them in Dorne. It will be good for them to spend time with children their own age."

Aemond was about the same age as the two girls but after the incident at Driftmark she doubted they would be happy to spend time with the boy. Noticing him scoff, Valyria added, "In the Water Gardens of course. It's a better place for children to play anyway. Mine absolutely love it there. Sometimes I can barely get them to leave."

"The Water Gardens?"

"It's my castle," Valyria explained. "Around three leagues west of Sunspear, close to the Summer Sea. I guess one could say it's the closest thing I have to an escape from all of this."

"Lyria, you are back!"

Valyria turned around to see Aegon and Aemond walking side by side towards her. "My darling princes," she smiled, holding out her arms for them in an invitation to a hug. She didn't care how old they grew, she'd always expect a warm greeting.

Pulling back from the hug she observed both of them, eyes lingering on Aemond's eye that now was covered in an eye-patch.

"Mother hates it," Aemond muttered, noticing her frown. He looked down on the ground. While he thought the lost eye was worth Vhagar, it didn't mean that he liked the evidence of what his nephews had done.

"No mother enjoys seeing the evidence of their son's pain," Valyria said, holding his chin gently so that he looked at her. "And I like the eye-patch. It makes you look like a pirate prince," she smiled kindly.

Seeing both boys throw nervous glances over her shoulder, she straightened up and turned to Daemon. "Boys," Daemon greeted them with a barely nod.

"Uncle," the two princes chorused.

Rolling her eyes, Valyria placed one hand on Aegon's shoulder and the other on Aemond's, "It seems I've found two new princes to escort me, Daemon. Have a good day."

.•° ✿ °•.

Valyria would never get used to entering the Small Council chamber and finding Daemon seated in there. When he was Lord Commander of the City Watch he rarely bothered showing up but it was clear that he was trying to insert himself in Viserys's good graces again. However, that did not mean he could refrain from making snarky remarks every other time somebody opened their mouth – or every time Otto Hightower spoke.

As Viserys health declined, his attendance during these meetings were becoming less and the few he did attend were short and to the point. After going over the important points for the day, Viserys tiredly said, "If that is all-"

"Actually there is one more thing we should discuss, Your Grace," Otto Hightower spoke up, eyes flickering over to Valyria. "Perhaps you recall what we have spoken off recently? The issue of Princess Valyria's marriage."

"My marriage?" Valyria asked calmly, feeling everyone's gazes on her. "I was so certain that I am a widow. I could have sworn I attended my late husband's funeral."

"That is the issue, Princess Valyria," Otto Hightower turned his patronising gaze in her direction. "Qoren Martell has been dead for over a year now. Your time for mourning is long over and it's time for you to remarry."

Valyria didn't miss the deadly glare Daemon sent Otto's way nor the way he gripped his cup tightly. Intervening before he could say anything, she said, "I've been wed twice already. I have four healthy children and absolutely no reason to find another husband."

"You are still not past your childbearing years," Otto Hightower argued, looking to the King for support. "An unmarried princess is of little use. King Viserys has already discussed a few options. My son-"

"No," Valyria shook her head, placing down her wine goblet with more force than necessary. "I married Lucian Lannister because you two wanted me to. I married Qoren Martell to stop the War of the Stepstones. You promised me that I could choose my next husband, Your Grace, or have you forgotten?"

Viserys seemed to wake up more from having her piercing gaze look upon him expectantly. "I did," he confessed and Otto tried to hide his displeasure, "do you have any suggestions, Valyria?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"The King asked if you have any suitable noblemen in mind?" Otto asked her pointedly, enjoying putting her on the spot like that. "You are still a princess of House Targaryen and can't marry anyone."

"He is right, Valyria," Viserys agreed. "While I wish to give you choices, any husband of yours needs to be of high birth and with a good name."

Clenching her jaw, Valyria glared down at the table. Not only did she have to have this conversation with the entire Small Council, Rhaenyra and Alicent witnessing her being treated like a rowdy child by the Hand, Otto was also trying to force her hand in this by using Viserys's weakened state. The way the Hand was smirking in victory made her blood boil.

Before she could stop herself, "Then I shall marry Daemon."

Several things happened at once. Tyland, who had been sipping his wine, choked and coughed in shock. Lord Beesbury looked ready to faint. Alicent and Otto both looked at her in horror. Rhaenyra seemed frozen in her seat beside Valyria and Viserys' jaw slackened. Meanwhile, Daemon got over his moment of shock quickly and leaned back in his chair, a wide smirk on his face. His intense amethyst eyes were firmly on her as he ignored everyone else in the room.

"What?"

"He is of noble birth, a prince even, and what name is better than Targaryen," Valyria said, smiling innocently in Otto's direction. "So this matter is settled and I will marry Daemon Targaryen."

"Is this a proposal?" Daemon drawled, sending her a teasing grin.

"Be quiet," Valyria snapped at him. Then she stood up, "If that is all, I think this meeting is over-"

"Valyria stay, everyone else, get out," Viserys commanded, his tone firm. "And Daemon – wait outside."

Valyria avoided looking at anyone as she waited for the room to clear, leaving her alone with the King. The only one remaining was Ser Harrold. Meanwhile she felt like a child about to get scolded. "Valyria," Viserys said, breaking the tense silence.

"Yes, Your Grace?" Valyria said, looking up at him. Over the initial shock, Viserys looked conflicted.

"Is this an attempt to spite Otto-"

"Do you honestly believe I'd sentence myself to a life of misery simply to spite Otto Hightower?" Valyria asked him. "You told me that I could choose my next husband if it's so important for me to marry. I chose one."

"Daemon," Viserys said, barely believing his own words. "The two of you have never been in the same room without arguing with one another. If his name is mentioned, you never pass up on the opportunity to insult him in some way."

"That may be true," Valyria nodded, not ready to admit to the King how much she had grown fond of their arguments. Being a princess – a woman – meant that no one ever argued with her. Most men simply dismissed her opinions and refused to listen at all while others did everything they could to please her. She enjoyed the challenge Daemon gave her in their banters. "No marriage is perfect."

"This is what you want?" Viserys asked disbelievingly. "Daemon is not forcing your hand somehow?"

"Do you honestly believe Daemon could ever force my hand in anything?" Valyria stood up and walked over to Otto's seat, pulling out his chair and angling it so she could sit beside Viserys, "I want Daemon," she confessed. "I want him to be my husband." Saying it out loud like this felt weird. For so many years she had done such a wonderful job denying it for herself that she had convinced everyone else also believed she hated Daemon.

"Why?"

"Because he makes me laugh – when he doesn't make my blood boil with the urge to punch him," Valyria said. "And he will put me first when it matters – which I can't say for a lot of people."

"I want you to be happy, Valyria. After everything that has happened to you – after Lucian and Qoren, I truly just wish for you to be happy," Viserys told her, placing his only remaining hand on her arm. "Daemon is reckless, selfish and unreliable, you have said so yourself-"

"I will be happy to make my own decisions even if it turns out to be a mistake," Valyria told him. "And if Daemon makes me miserable I will simply banish him from Dorne and get a paramour." Before he could say anything, she added, "And I've already spoken with Rhaenys who has given her blessing, so you do not have to worry about making an enemy out of the Velaryons."

"Rhaenys knew about this? You have been considering this for a while?" Viserys wondered.

"Oh, no, we haven't. Not exactly at least," Valyria told him. "Rhaenys is very perceptive. She gave this union her blessing without anyone even having to ask for it."

"Take the night to consider it," Viserys eventually decided. "It's a big decision. I gave you time to think about Qoren's offer. Now think about this one."

"I will," Valyria promised.

"Good," Viserys told her. "Ser Harrold, could you bring in my brother?"

"Should I leave?" Valyria offered, already standing up.

"No," Viserys shook his head, "I wish to speak with both of you present."

"Wonderful," Valyria said, sinking back into her chair. When Daemon sauntered into the room, she couldn't refrain from rolling her eyes at the smugness in his entire demeanour.

"Brother, princess – or should I say wife?" Daemon smirked, bowing mockingly. Then he sunk down into the closest chair, leaning back in a relaxed manner.

"Be careful or Gwayne Hightower might be the one calling me wife," Valyria warned him, loving the way he couldn't hide his displeasure.

"Gods be good," Viserys sighed, looking between the two that were locked in a glaring match. "Brother, we have not always seen eye-to-eye, I admit that. And I can't help but question your intentions after what happened with Rhaenyra all those years ago-"

"Do we really have to bring up problems long time resolved?" Valyria asked, wishing to prevent a fight from breaking out. "Hopefully we've all grown a bit in the past decade. Now Daemon might finally have the maturity of a grown man."

"Will I have to suffer this abuse when we are married as well, princess?" Daemon smirked.

"Is this what the two of you wish for?" Viserys asked, this time directing the question to both of them, clearly still not convinced by this turn of events. "To wed?"

"I've already said what I want," Valyria said, looking expectantly at Daemon.

"I could imagine a few worse things," Daemon said, fingers tapping against the table. Valyria rolled her eyes at his immaturity.

"It seems I was wrong," she pursed her lips. "Daemon has somehow managed to become less mature with old age."

"Oh, you are capable of admitting when you are wrong," Daemon drawled. "I did not believe you had it in you."

"How about the two of you sleeping on the matter, and we shall continue discussing this in the morning," Viserys sighed tiredly.

"With each other?" Daemon smirked, earning a dark glare from his older brother. Had this been ten years ago, the King would have punched his brother for his crudeness. "I was simply wondering."

"We will be on our way then," Valyria stood up from her chair. Leaning down, she kissed Viserys on the cheek, "I shall see you tomorrow." Without throwing another glance Daemon's way, Valyria walked out of the Small Council chamber, offering an awkward smile to Ser Harrold who likely had overheard the entire conversation. But the older Kingsguard's face remained neutral; he was not the kind of guard who would blabber their secrets to his sworn brothers or other members of court.

Boots clicking against the floor was the only indicator Daemon was following her. Surprisingly, he remained quiet for a lot longer than she thought him capable of. Then he quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her into an alcove, pressing her up against a wall.

"What is it?" Valyria asked, raising an expecting eyebrow.

"Well, if we are being honest, you pushed me into this without even asking me if I want to marry you," Daemon smirked, taking a step closer to her, caging her in between the wall and his arms, hands resting on each side of her. "Don't I deserve to at least be questioned?"

"No, you don't," Valyria told him, crossing her arms over her chest. Daemon only continued staring at her with that infuriating smirk and she rolled her eyes, "Sure, Daemon, do you have any objections to marrying me?"

"That is not how I imagined being proposed to," Daemon shook his head.

Valyria couldn't hide a smile as she playfully smacked his shoulder. She then plastered on the sweetest, most sarcastic, smile she could muster, "Daemon Targaryen, Prince of the City, Lord of Flea Bottom, do you want to marry me or not?"

"Valyria Targaryen, the Realm's Jewel," Daemon placed his hands on her waist, pulling her closer, "of course I do."

___________
A heads up: I won't be able to update next week because I have finals and my brain therefore has no room for creativity 😅

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 579 29
"You asked me to stay, I'm staying." With Fire and Blood, We light the way. The Little Dove and The Warrior Lady They just wanted love, but why did i...
271K 9K 127
Prince, dragonrider, spymaster, heir to the Iron Throne... Aeonar Targaryen had it all growing up and strived to prove his worth. But when the people...
72.7K 1.8K 7
𝖳𝗁𝖾 π—€π—‹π–Ύπ–Ύπ—‡π—Œ 𝗐𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾, 𝗒𝖾𝗍 π—Œπ–Ύπ—π–Ύπ—‹π–Ίπ—… π–½π—‚π–Ύπ—Œ. π– π–Ύπ—€π—ˆπ—‡ π—‡π–Ύπ–Ύπ–½π—Œ 𝖺 𝗐𝗂𝖿𝖾. 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝗐𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝖺�...
44.1K 1.4K 21
"You look just like your mother." "I guess I do carry her tenderness well." "You both have the same eyes." "We are both exhausted." "And the hands."...