BETTER OFF

By lov3languag3

slow updates Makenzie James, going into year two at a new school is easier then year one, but running into a... More

2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

1

2.3K 25 0
By lov3languag3

KENZIE

A night out is exactly what I need. I've spent that last two weeks training with some of the best choreographers and technique coaches in LA, thanks to my mom and her many connections. And now I can just relax and be your average twenty-one year old college kid.

"Kenzie?" Danni calls from across the hall.

Danni who'sone of the dance team's captains' lives across the hall from me. She used to scare me a bit just because of the captain title she holds but now she's like an older sister to me.

Danni, Becky, our other team captain, Alana, a junior from the team, Sam, another sophomore from the team and I all live in a house right next to campus together. The summer I transferred from ASU to UCLA they happened to have an open spot for this school year at the house and offered it to me my first day with the team. The whole team welcomed me with open arms but the four of them have gone above and beyond to help me find my place at UCLA and on our team.

"What are you wearing tonight?" Danni's head pops up in my open door way.

All of us are getting ready to go meet up with Ellie and Summer to celebrate Summer's birthday.

All of our bedroom doors are propped open and there's music blasting from a speaker at the top of the stairs, echoing through to all our rooms.

"Not a clue," I chuckle looking over at her from where I'm sitting at my vanity.

"Could I maybe borrow that pink tube top with the little bow?" She asks so sweetly, I can't say no and would
never say no. It fits her better then it fits me anyway.

"Yeah, it's in my closet," I smile, "That grey bin on the left."

I don't know what I'm gonna do in a few weeks when Danni and Becky move out. The five of us have just clicked in the most perfect way. And it's not that I don't love the girls moving into their rooms next year but it's not gonna be the same.

"Do you know if Becks is wearing that white baby tee she has? The one with the little flowers?" I ask as Danni crosses from the door to my closet.

"No clue," she shrugs digging through my basket of tank tops. I nod and stand up walking down the hallway to Becky's room. The three of our rooms' are upstairs while Sam and Alana's rooms' are downstairs.

Becky, being the oldest and this being her third year living in the house, has the primary bedroom so when I walk through the open door and don't see her I head towards the connected bathroom.

"Becks?" I call out.

"Closet!" She shouts back.

I make my way over to her closet where she's standing in a pair of black jeans and a bra staring at her racks of clothes. Her black hair is slicked back into a bun, probably from her long day at work. Becky was a nursing major and now works full time at a local hospital, she's originally from Texas but got a job here in LA and she's been taking her sweet time moving out. I don't think she's ready to leave, and I'm okay with that because I don't want her to leave.

"What shirt are you wearing tonight?" I ask leaning on the door frame, my arms crossed over my chest.

"I was just trying to decide," she sighs looking over at me with her hands on her hips, "What did you want to borrow?"

"That little white tee with the flowers?" I ask with a big hopeful smile.

"It's dirty, I wore it to the beach the other day," she sighs, "Sorry."

"All good," I smile at her.

"You can borrow something else if you want," she looks back at all the clothing she has hanging. Becky reaches out and pulls out a lime green mesh top. It's got long sleeves that flare at the wrists, and is completely see through.

"Are you crazy?" I look up at her.

Look just because I'm a dancer doesn't mean I'm willing to just let everything hang out. I like to be covered up.

"Oh c'mon! With a cute little white bra, or a tank top!" Becky tries to hand me that hanger, "Go try it on."

"Thanks, but no thanks," I shake my head.

"Please, Kenz! It would look so good!"

I let out a breath, "Okay," I take the hanger from her and head back to my room.

Danni's gone back to her room, so I shut my bedroom door and change.

I decide to grab a white tank top, that covers a bit more than a bra would, and some light wash jeans. I take off my lounge clothes and put on the others.

"Damn it," I mumble staring at myself in the mirror. Becky was right the top is cute.

I prop my door open again and finish getting ready. Adding on some silver hoop earrings, a little diamond necklace from my parents, and my white sneakers.

"I told you!" Becky's southern twang makes me turn around.

"Yeah, you were right, like always."

"A push up?" She asks pointing at my chest.

I smile and look down at my boobs, "Always," I look up at her and wink.

Becky laughs as she turns to head down the stairs which are three feet away from my door.

I walk over to my dresser and spray on some perfume, and make sure I've got everything I need in my purse. My ID, wallet, lipgloss, my digital camera....

"C'mon ladies! It's shot o'clock!" Alana shouts from downstairs. Which means they're definitely just waiting on Danni and I.

I quickly zip and grab my little white purse from my dresser as I shout, "Coming!"

I can't be the last one down because we have this deal going that the last one down has to take two shots and has to order the Uber.

"No! I paid last time!" Danni runs past me.

"No!" I scream picking up my speed, running behind her.

Danni stands at the bottom of the stairs holding her arms out at her sides trying to stop me.

"Move, Danni!" I try to push her out of the way but she's planted in place.

I'm laughing as I try to push her out of the way, "If I'm going down you're going down with me."

"What?" Danni looks over her shoulder at me.

I just smile as quickly put my hands on her shoulders and jump on her back. She groans but quickly wraps her arms around my legs so I don't totally fall on my ass. I'm clutching on to her shoulders as we start to fall backwards.

Sam, Alana and Becky are all watching from the kitchen laughing at us as my butt lands on the stairs and Danni's head lands in my lap. We're all lost in laughter, we keep trying to speak but the only thing coming out is more laughter.

Once I calm down I look down at Danni, "You okay?"

She nods, carefully wiping her fingers under her eyes as she's still laughing. 

"I don't know what just happened," Alana says from the kitchen where she's kneeling on the floor also laughing.

"I can't breath," Sam says fanning herself with her hand.

"You two are ridiculous," Becky says walking over to help her co-captain stand up. Danni let's Becky pull her to her feet before they both turn to help me up.

"We'll split it?" I look at Danni.

She shrugs, "Fair enough."

"You're both taking two shots though," Alana calls back as we all file into the tiny kitchen.

Sam grabs shot glasses. Alana grabs the tequila and vodka, because Sam, Danni and Becky will only drink vodka while Alana and I prefer tequila.

The five of us stand around the kitchen, smiling as Danni leads our cheers, "To a good night, love you ladies!"

We all tap our glasses together, to the table and then we all drink the liquor in our glasses.

Danni and I both reach for our other shots, nod at each other and quickly down the other glass.

Oh it's gonna be a long night....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 162 16
New Chapters Weekly! Alana knew Trevor very well. Unfortunately not well enough considering her brother was introducing them as if they had never me...
660K 11K 40
Summer Grayson, a dancer with one goal and no time for distractions. Trevor St. Claire, a hockey player from the rival school with a distracting smil...
179K 2.9K 50
When two rival hearts tangle themselves in one another, when push comes to shove and sacrifices have to be made, what will they choose? Lizzie Myers...
23.4K 354 15
"Got a boy back home in Michigan and it tastes like Jack when I'm kissing him." 'study buddies' can mean a bunch of different things. especially if y...