COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown
Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair

7.3K 181 63
By Weebooguy

'': Writing

Kagurazaka's POV

I recently visited Keyaki Mall and decided to grab a coffee from a nearby cafe. Upon arrival, I noticed a group of girls and a couple of guys chatting away. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee was a pleasant surprise. The atmosphere was buzzing with energy, and I couldn't help but order a drink. The barista looked at me curiously when they saw my notebook, but they still wrote down my order without any issues.

After getting my drink, I went to an empty table and sat. I took my first and enjoyed the savory drink.

"You look like you could use some company," I heard a feminine voice say.

Looking up from my drink was a beautiful girl with strawberry-blonde hair and a cute smile.

I silently stared at the girl, and she started getting nervous.

"Umm..."

I should reply to her. Pulling out my notepad, I wrote something.

'Sorry, I wasn't expecting anyone to approach me.'

Her eyes widened before giving me a curious look, "I'm sorry if this is rude, but... are you mute?"

I nodded.

"Oh..." She trailed off before she adopted a smile, "My name is Ichinose Honami of Class B! It's nice to meet you!"

'Kagurazaka Norogumi of Class D.'

"It's nice to meet you, Kagurazaka-kun," Ichinose's smile seemed brighter.

I nodded before starting to savor my drink again. Ichinose took a seat, "So, why are you sitting by yourself?"

I shrugged.

I'm feeling a bit nervous about not having any friends yet. It's my first day attending this school, so I know it takes time to make connections. However, I didn't stay for the class introductions, so I'm worried I didn't make a good first impression. Hopefully, I'll have another opportunity to introduce myself and get to know my classmates.

"Kagurazaka-kun?" She looked slightly worried.

'Sorry... I was lost in thought, and I'm not much of a social butterfly.'

"That's alright," the smile returned to her face, "I'll be your first friend!"

How did she know...? It's better not to question it.

I nodded.

I took another sip and realized I had drunk it all.

I rose to my feet, "Are you leaving?" Ichinose asked, looking upset.

I nodded.

"Before you go, let's exchange contact information," she said.

After exchanging numbers with Ichinose, I left the café.

Was she upset because I ended the conversation early, or did she want to talk to me? I think I'll never get my answer.

I was hit realization, stopping in my tracks. I got a girl's number...

Next day

Ayanokouji's POV

The students discussed school policies and rules during the second day of school, technically the first day of classes. Many students were pleasantly surprised by the kindness and friendliness of their teachers. Sudou, who had caused a disturbance the previous day, was left alone as he slept soundly through class. Although the teachers noticed him sleeping, they didn't interrupt or wake him up.

Ultimately, we must decide whether to pay attention to the lesson, and the teacher didn't seem worried. Is this typical of how teachers interact with students who have completed their compulsory education?

As the atmosphere relaxed, lunchtime arrived, and the students began to leave their seats to enjoy lunch with their acquaintances. I couldn't help feeling envious as I watched them. Unfortunately, I didn't have any close friends among my classmates.

"Pitiful," I know that voice.

"What's pitiful?" I asked, turning to my seatmate.

"'I want someone to invite me. I want to eat lunch with somebody.' Your thoughts are undeniable," Horikita said without hesitation.

"You're also by yourself. Don't you feel the same way? Or do you plan on staying alone for the next three years?"

"Yes. I like being alone," She replied quickly, without any hesitation. It seems like she feels that way.

"Instead of worrying about me, go worry about yourself."

"Well..."

Honestly, I didn't proclaim that I cannot make friends. It's concerning because the upcoming days may be difficult due to my inability to socialize. Being by myself will only highlight my situation. If I were to become a target for bullying, it would surely attract attention.

Half the class became empty, not even a minute after the ball rang.

The people who are left either want to go but are alone, just like me, are sleeping and not paying attention, or like being alone like Horikita.

"I was thinking of going to eat. Does anyone want to come with me?" Hirata said as he stood up.

Another opportunity appeared for me!

I steeled my nerves and raised my hand.

"I'm going too!"

"Me too, me too!"

When I saw Hirata surrounded by girls, I put my hand back down.

The girls are taking away my chance of making a friend. I understand he's an ikemen, but it doesn't mean you can thoughtlessly go to the cafeteria with him!

"How sad," a mocking laugh and a disdainful look came from Horikita.

I ignored Horikita and noticed Hirata was looking around the room. He must be looking for another guy to hang out with.

When he spotted me, our eyes met.

It's here! Hirata noticed me! A man who wants you to invite him is here!

"Umm, Ayano..." Hirata tried to call out my name.

"Hirata-kun, hurry up!" The girls took hold of Hirata's arms without noticing me at all.

The girls stole my opportunity of making a friend. The only thing that remained was my outstretched arm.

Feeling embarrassed, I pretended I stretched my arm to scratch my head.

"Well then."

Sending me one last look of pity, Horikita left the classroom by herself.

"That was useless..." I muttered to myself.

I felt a presence at my desk and saw Kagurazaka standing there, 'Want to eat together?'

"Uh, yeah... Sure," I answered.

I was slightly perplexed by his sudden invitation but was given another chance to make a friend.

I stood and walked toward the door, "Um, Ayanokouji-kun, right?"

On our way toward the cafeteria, I was stopped by a beautiful girl. She's Kushida, one of our classmates.

Kagurazaka's POV

I walked away and gave some privacy. It looked like Kushida wanted to talk to Ayanokouji for some reason. I waited patiently until I heard footsteps and turned my head to see Ayanokouji walking over to me.

"Oh, you waited. I thought you would have left," he said with no change in expression.

'Are we going to the cafeteria?'

"I was thinking about stopping at the convenience store," Ayanokouji answered.

I nodded.

Convenience store

I had a bento made for myself as I waited for Ayanokouji. I wanted to stretch my legs a little bit, anyways.

It didn't take long for Ayanokouji to come out of the store with a plastic bag. We didn't talk at all on the way back to the classroom. The young man went to his seat while I sat at an empty desk.

"Today, at 5 pm in gymnasium number 1, there will be a club fair. For those of you with an interest in clubs, please come to Gymnasium number 1. I repeat, today..." A girl with a cute voice announced over the PA.

Hmm, it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

"Hey, Horikita..."

"I have no interest in clubs."

It was slightly scary that she could guess what he would ask her.

"I didn't even ask anything yet."

"Okay, then what?"

"Are you going to participate in any clubs?"

"Ayanokouji-kun. Do you have dementia? Or are you just an idiot? Didn't I say from the beginning that I have no interest in clubs?" Horikita insulted him.

"Just because you don't have any interest doesn't mean you won't participate," Ayanokouji ignored her insult.

"That's a frivolous argument. Don't make that kind of pointless talk," Horikita stated.

"Okay..."

It looks like Ayanokouji is looking for someone to go with to the club fair. I should try and get his attention.

Ayanokouji's POV

Well, it's time to go with my other plan, "Kagurazaka, do you want to check out the club fair?"

He shrugged... I didn't want a vague answer, but I'll take it as he agrees.

"Would you look at that? Two loners are becoming friends," Horikita remarked.

She must have glanced at the message, "Seeing you two trying to make friends at the club fair and failing sounds interesting," she said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

Why is she being unpleasant?

"Did you ever do any clubs?" I asked.

"No. I have no experience in any clubs." Horikita answered.

"Then do you have any experience with things outside of clubs? Oh, you're talking about something like this and that?"

"What are you trying to say? I feel the malice behind your words."

"Malice? I didn't even tell you what I was referring to."

I received a chop to my side in a quick motion, causing me to reflexively coughed from her unexpected strength.

I looked at Kagurazaka for help, but he ate his bento while watching.

"Why did you hit me?" I asked.

"Ayanokouji-kun. I've warned you already, but you don't listen to what I say. Remember that I can inflict more pain than I just did."

"I don't think violence is the answer..."

"Really? Since the beginning of time, violence has existed because it is the most efficient way of resolving problems. It is the fastest way to get your point across to the other party or ignore their desires. After all, even countries employ police who use weapons and violence to arrest people, right?" Horikita gave me a grand speech.

"You sure talk a lot..."

She would make a remark, say absurd things, and use it to retort viciously.

"From now on, I will use violence to fix the errors of your ways. How about it?"

I don't like that option, "How would you feel if I said the same thing to you?"

I wonder why they call men who raise their hand against women the lowest and cowardly.

"It doesn't matter because don't you think that'll never happen? After all, I never say something I shouldn't."

Wow, that response was unexpected. Horikita has a strong belief in always being right. Despite her outward appearance and behavior, she may have a mean streak inside.

"I got it; I got it. I'll be cautious from now on."

Giving up on inviting Horikita, I looked out the window. Ah, the weather's good today.

"Club activities... is it. I see..." Horikita mumbled as she pondered over something.

"Only a bit after school is okay. I'll go with you."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Didn't you say it yourself? That you wanted to go to the club fair."

"Oh, right. I never intended to stay long. After all, I was only looking for an excuse. Is that fine?"

"If it's only for a short while. Then, I'll see you after school."

After that, she resumed eating. She decided to go along with my attempt to make more friends.

Earlier, I said she was unpleasant to talk to, but her attitude seems to be taking a turn for the better.

"Watching both of you trying to make friends and failing sounds interesting."

Never mind, she's still unpleasant.

Club Fair

Kagurazaka's POV

It was after school when I met up with Ayanokouji and Horikita. I'm still slightly surprised to hear Horikita joining us when she declined Ayanokouji's invite.

Even if it's true that I'm a loner, she didn't have to say it.

Entering the gymnasium, there were first years; around 100 people were waiting nearby.

As we entered the gym, pamphlets with details about club activities were passed out.

"I wonder if this school has a particularly famous club. For example... something like the karate club," Ayanokouji suggested.

"A lot of clubs here seem to be high-leveled. There are many members in many nationally known clubs," Horikita replied.

"The facilities are also high quality. Look, they even have oxygen capsules. All the equipment put pro's equipment to shame. Ah, but they don't have a karate club."

"I see," Horikita was uninterested.

"Why? Are you interested in karate?" Ayanokouji asked the uninterested black-haired girl.

"No, not particularly," Horikita answered.

"Thank you for waiting, first-year students. A representative from each club will explain their activities and how to join. I am Tachibana, the secretary of the student council and the chairman responsible for this club fair. Nice to meet you," After the greeting from Tachibana, the club representatives lined up on the gym stage.

There were various representatives, from those wearing judo uniforms to beautiful kimonos.

"Hey, if you ever change your mind, join a sports club. Doesn't that judo club look good? That senpai looks nice and encouraging," Horikita said.

"What part of him looks nice and encouraging? That gorilla looks like he could kill someone anytime," Ayanokouji responded.

"He'd probably preach to you that judo is an easy sport," Horikita continued to pester him.

"Please stop..."

I don't think this conversation goes anywhere except for Horikita insulting and bullying Ayanokouji.

"What about you, Kagurazaka-kun? Are you going to join?" Horikita asked.

I don't want to give her an answer because she might insult me somehow.

I shook my head.

"Even if I were to join a sports club, they don't welcome any beginners, looking at how they're showing off," Ayanokouji said.

"They should be welcomed. The more people they get, the more money the school gives them, so they could get more equipment," Horikita commented.

"That's just using new members to get money..." Ayanokouji muttered.

"It'd be ideal to recruit many new members, increase the budget, then get them to become ghost members. You need to be able to manipulate the rules in the world skillfully," Horikita said.

"What a bad world... Your way of thinking is certainly strange," Ayanokouji muttered.

Horikita must have heard him because she was glaring right at him. It seemed Ayanokouji was ignoring her stare.

"My name is Hashigaki, and I'm the captain of the archery club. I think there are a lot of students who find it old-fashioned and simple, but it is an enjoyable and fulfilling sport. We give all new students a warm welcome, so if you're interested, please join," a girl wearing archery clothes started her introduction on the stage.

"Look, they seem to welcome beginners. How about you try joining? To make their budget bigger," Ayanokouji taunted Horikita.

"Joining a club for that reason is a definite no! Also, a sports club is a meeting place for riajuus. It wouldn't be fun without knowing anyone, and I'd probably leave instantly," Horikita responded.

"Isn't that way of thinking resulting from your twisted personality?" Ayanokouji asked.

"Yup. A sports club is impossible."

At least she knows she has a twisted personality.

I glance at Horikita and notice her being tense. She was looking pale while her eyes were focusing on the stage.

"What's wrong?" Ayanokouji asked, but Horikita didn't say anything.

She continued staring up at the stage. I followed her gaze and found what she was looking at.

The male's height was approximately 170 cm, considered average or not particularly tall. He had a slim physique, smooth black hair, sharp glasses, and his gaze seemed observant and analytical.

The student standing in front of the microphone looked at the first-years calmly.

"Do your best~."

"Did you forget to bring your notecards?"

"Ahahaha!"

The first years were taunting him, but he wasn't giving a reaction. It was like the laughter nor the encouragement seemed to reach him.

The laughter slowly died down, causing the atmosphere to turn quiet and turn. The young man's apathetic expression didn't change.

"My name is Horikita Manabu, and I am the student council president," he said.

Horikita? He must be related to the Horikita standing beside Ayanokouji.

"The student council is also looking for first-years to replace the graduating third-years. There are no strict requirements to apply for the position, but those interested should not be affiliated with other clubs. Generally, we do not accept any candidate involved in other clubs," his tone w"s soft, but the mood was still tense. He alone silenced the whole gym.

He was releasing a powerful aura that dominated the gym.

"Also, we, t"e student council, are not looking for anyone with a naive way of thinking. Not only will that kind of person fail to get elected, but they will inevitably become a stain to this school. The student council is only responsible for regulating the students, but the school expects much more. Those of you who understand can become potential candidates."

After finishing" his speech, he walked off the stage and exited the building.

"Everyone, thank"you for coming. With that, the club fair is over. We will now open the reception area for anyone interested in joining. The reception area will only be open until the end of April, so anyone interested after then can bring applications directly to the club."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 474 7
During the Entrance Ceremony in the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing Highschool gymnasium, a massive spell of light appeared throughout the gymn...
3K 120 3
Kiyotaka Ayanokoji wakes up one day and gets thrown into a game. Well, that's not exactly it. He didn't get thrown into a different world or anything...
41.8K 2.1K 22
[Ayanokouji in Class C] Ayanokouji Kiyotaka has lived his life controlled by his father, in an environment that broke many lives through sheer violen...
16.5K 672 56
READ VOLUME 1 TO VOLUME 4.5! SORRY, THAT IT'S SEPERATED INTO DIFFERENT BOOKS! Welcome to the School Full of Elite Students! Ryuen has begun starting...