Fire Wall (Book 1: The Fall)

By RiverGardenGirl

A war against ourselves. A mother killing her daughter. A brother killing his sister. A friend killing a frie... More

1 | Golden Moon
2 | Project Beta
3 | Kill Fear
4 | Pedal to the Metal
5 | The Way
6 | The Hacker Hitman
7 | Hidden (L)ove
8 | Startling Discoveries
9 | (L)ove Revealed
10 | A Sweet Stalker

11 | Lucy's Stand

2 0 0
By RiverGardenGirl

[Trigger Warning: Themes of sexual abuse, depression, and suicide]

Sun soaked up the carpet, warming our toes

Mother's hands danced across the piano

The air burst with exciting, lively notes

As Lisa and I spun in circles

Laughing until we had no more air

Rolling on top of one another in a tangled mess.

Mother turned around to watch

A rare, happy smile on her lips.

There was silence

Before the ground shook

And the walls caved in

There was silence

Before the wood beam swung from above

And Lisa threw me to the side

There was silence

Before the ceiling fell apart

And something crushed my arms

There was silence

Before the terrible screams

and the room turned black

Then there was nothing.

| Lucy's P.O.V, 5 Years ago |

Ground City Level, Euphoria.

I lift my foot onto the circular bed and my stomach sinks with my feet into the black covers. My client is neatly clothed in a suit while I'm practically naked in front of him in a ridiculous body outfit. I didn't even bother looking twice in the mirror when I saw the strange attachments this time. What those are even for, I have no idea. I don't want to know. I haven't been updated on the new wardrobe Thebes has ordered.

I hate that creepy son of a bitch. The pedophile steals our wages and his long, bony fingers wander where they shouldn't. No one has the nerve to tell him off because of his ties with the Masaki clan and his high standing with Warren. He's a frocked-up piece of shit but he brings in the gold.

There's nothing I can do about him. Whether I like it or not, he is my lifeline and can pull the plug whenever he wants. Thousands of other girls would gladly jump in my spot for the money.

Something rises to my stomach as I look down at my client. I curse at him aloud. Normally it's disgusting but this is just unbearable. The outfit and the age difference combined, along with his kinky desire for me to verbally harass him. A fourty-year-old with a sixteen-year-old. It's so gross.

Damn, I hate Euphoria. But I need the money a damn lot more. My sister, mother, and I barely made ends meet as it was before the earthquake. We all worked two jobs to be able to afford a single-room apartment in a safe neighborhood and afford food. Never knew my father except he was an asshole living in the clouds, a high city dweller. Every time I look up, I flip off every single high city mother frocker.

God knows he has the money to help us but he doesn't give a shit, just like the rest of them. Got my mother pregnant twice and left Lisa, mom, and I working our asses off. We've been nothing but street rats our lives, trying to get food and a roof over our heads.

I never thought I would turn to prostitution. Lisa would have been furious if she were alive. But my older sister isn't here anymore, not after the earthquake. With her death and my mother a paralytic, it's up to me to bring in the money.

Thebes had his snake eyes on me the whole time. He approached me when I was smoking on a bridge. I was considering jumping that day but I took it as a sign that there was hope when he told me he had the offer of a lifetime. He had shady written all over him but I was desperate. I knew dolls got paid well, so when he mentioned Euphoria, he had my attention. We were behind on our payments and about to get evicted. It would mean the streets for us, and no one survives for long there. It's too dangerous with gangs jacked up on drugs and alcohol.

Thebes introduced me to Warren who took a special liking to me...called me his little Angel. The combination of my long pink hair, metal arms, and desperate situation was enough to make me the perfect doll. He got us a new apartment and paid my mom's med bills. But there was a catch my young mind looked over. I would be in debt to him and would need to pay him monthly payments.

Though I am relieved that my mom is safe and we are supplied now, I'm at my breaking point. My clients are getting more and more violent-and I'm not allowed to fight back.

I would leave Euphoria if Warren hasn't got me hanging onto him for dear life. He found a naive, pretty, and poor girl who would do anything to save her mother-and took advantage of her. I have no choice but to pay off my debt or pay the price. The consequences are severe if I fail.

I've heard it from his own mouth. He'll kill my mother and keep me as his own slave.

I wish I never accepted his offer. I should have jumped.

Is it selfish of me to say that? I have a home and my mother is now able to survive in a home with food on the table. I should be happy, right? So what if I'm in debt to Warren? Euphoria may kill every ounce of pride and respect I have for myself. But it's saving my mother, it's giving her a chance to survive. If her survival comes at my expense, I will take on that burden. She's done so much already raising Lisa and me by herself.

I breathe slowly staring at my client. The pink chandelier with knife-like crystals dangles over my head. Lights dance across my skin as I grab its rim.

I have to do this.

I hate every second of it but it's better than losing my mother. I fight the urge to throw up with the smile below me.

Thebes waits for me when I leave the bedroom. He leans against the wall across from me. His silver hair is long and thin in the pink fluorescent lights. He twirls a strand of my pink hair with a sick smile. His freakish pink eyes are bloodshot from some crazy shit drug, probably diamonds. I've always wanted to smash his face in. But how could I? I'd lose everything.

"You look good in that, Angel."

He holds a wad of cash out to me and I can tell by the stack that I'm missing at least two hundred. I do my best to keep my tone flat speaking with him. Thebes's mood can swing from high to low at any second.

"Where's the rest?" I ask softly.

His eyes linger over my body and it takes everything in me not to tighten my prosthetic hands. Normal people are able to get away with forming fists soundlessly but mine are awfully loud. There's a loud screech with the metal grinding on itself.

"I'll give you the rest and more," He answers, "Entertain me in the torture room."

No, God no. There's no telling what he will do. He's never approached me before about it but I've heard the horrors through other dolls. They swallow their pride and do it because they need the money.

Am I really going to do the same? That money is mine. I shouldn't have to do this.

But I know that cash is not enough for my monthly payment to Warren, and he knows that. I keep my voice monotone as I speak, hoping I don't step on any landmines with my words.

"I've handled most of your clients this week." I tell him carefully, " This payment covers forty clients but I've had fifty-eight."

"Lucy..." Impatience hardens his voice, making my stomach tighten, "I didn't ask you, I'm ordering you."

My back hits the wall. No...No...I need the money but I don't want to do this. That's a boundary I don't want to cross. My blood curdles with his high voice.

"If you do it, and do it well, I'll pay you the rest! If you're extra good, I'll pay you more."

He knows I can't say no. I hate him! I grind my fists looking at Thebes. I hate him! The metal screeches on itself. I let my rage last for a second before capping it and releasing my hands.

I can't do it, I can't fight back...

"Okay..."

I keep my eyes glued to the ground as I walk toward the wardrobe.

"What do you want me to wear?"

"Oh...you don't need to change."

The locker room door slides shut behind me and I wince dragging myself over to my vault. My entire body aches as I wait for it to open. I hear the whispers of the other dolls behind me. Everyone has to be looking at me right now. I glance around and find a mix of disdain and sympathy.

I'll be the talk of the night, that's for certain. I couldn't care less, just as long as no one approaches me about it. I grab my belongings when the vault opens and jump finding someone directly behind me. Realizing it's Jade, I sigh sharply.

"Lucy, what happened?"

Ever since I stood up to Bubblegum for harassing her, Jade has been glued to my shadow. Normally I don't mind, but today I have zero patience. I rip my arm clean from her grasp.

"Get out of my way."

I don't care if I'm harsh. I don't want to relive that hell by talking to her about it. I need to get out of here.

I head for the changing stalls, limping as I move. She calls to me and I glower watching more heads turn in our direction.

"Lucy!"

I snap around to her. Her green hair flies behind her as she hurries after me.

"Shut it!" I snap, "I'm in no mood to talk."

"Are you okay?"

I throw myself into a stall and slam the door shut.

"Just leave me alone!"

I wait until her footsteps fade before getting out of the stupid outfit. I try to change quickly so I don't stare at the markings but my eyes linger on my bruises and cuts. The memories come whispering back to me. I push my hand into my mouth, cutting off a loud cry. Silent tears run down my face.

The bastard!

I can't take this shit anymore. I will never be able to pay off my debt with Thebes taking my money. I can't entertain him again like that. Once Thebes starts, he never stops. Every doll knows that.

I shake stifling another cry. It takes everything in me to force my hoody on and put on my jeans. I throw the wad of bills into my purse and drag myself out of the locker room.

The streets are less crowded than usual at this late hour but the cheering crowds in the distance remind me why. I almost forgot about the Jungle BUB tournament. I watch the hologram above the street level showing the match.

Irene Jaxen and Django Woosu?!

I stop in my tracks at the sight of my heroes and forget my dreadful night for a moment. Irene has her trademark neon green dreadlocks hanging loosely around her. Her golden bionic legs and arms glimmer as she fights. She can break through solid rock with those limbs. Django has an iron core and muscle enhancers, making him a metal gorilla.

My fists shake watching them land blows on one another. I made my bracket weeks before this tournament took off. I think Irene can beat Django if she kills his joints and goes for the neck.

Django delivers an awful swing and it hits her arm. My jaw drops watching her limb invert. Damn it! It's too early in the match for that to happen! Her fixer has to be able to get her arm back in commission, right? The hologram fades and I grind my teeth remembering that I'm not in the Jungle. The teaser ad made me forget where I was.

I sigh heavily entering the pharmacy. As I pick up my mom's meds, I imagine what it would be like to hit random ass people with my metal arms. Frock, it would feel so good to beat people up for fun. I would love to meet all those amazing stars, too. That would be the life.

When I'm in the street again, I stare at the stadium in the distance. My heart rises to hear the crowd's chant.

"Irene! Irene! Irene!"

Is she having a comeback right now? She has to be!

Damn it!

I break off into a run despite my aching body and slam into the nearest bar. The bar is streaming the fight on a telescreen. Perfect! I collapse at the counter and gulp a beer down watching the fight unfold.

Irene's fixer did a wonderful job. In such a short amount of time, too. Her arm is as good as new. I jump out of my seat as she slams Django into the ground with a magnificent punch.

"Hell yeah!"

Three others join me in my shouting and I wrap my arms around them. We scream together as she kicks him off the platform and he hits the ground rolling.

She did it! She beat him.

I sigh wistfully when the match closes. I dread the thought of returning home, sleeping, and doing that awful crap all over again. I can't...I can't do it anymore. Euphoria has turned into an awful nightmare.

I finger the bills in my purse. It's enough to get me through a few weeks of food. If I walk away from my job, and miraculously escape Warren's wrath and leave with my paralytic mother, I could pick up a different job in a different town. We could have a new start.

It's a pipe dream but it may be possible.

As I leave the bar, I brainstorm different plans the whole way. For all she knows, I work two different jobs. A retail manager during the day and a bartender at night. She doesn't know I'm a prostitute. How am I going to convince her to leave if that's what I want to do?

I enter our apartment and find her sleeping soundly with the lamp on by her bed. I'm surprised she is sleeping at this hour. She is almost always awake for me when I come home. I sink slowly into the chair by her bed, feeling my aching body once more. Her pink hair is laid neatly around her head and she smiles in her sleep. She must be having a good dream.

There's a piece of paper on her chest and I stand up. That's odd. She hardly ever uses paper notes. Why wouldn't she just text me? Panic unfolds in my chest as I reach for it. I unfold it and bring it close to my face to read.

"Dearest Lucy,

I know you will never forgive me for this but I don't want to be a burden to you any longer. If I'm gone, you will be free to live your life..."

No...I hold her head in my hands. Her skin is cold and stone-like.

"You will be free to leave Euphoria and escape Warren. Yes, I know you've been working for him and am aware of your debt. It is worse for me to live seeing you suffer than to die knowing you are free."

I sob falling onto my knees.

"My death will be painless and peaceful. I took a Death Pill. They're unsurprisingly easy to find.

I love you, Lucy. Please be free."

I step onto the ledge and a calmness comes over me as I look down at the city lights.

Usually, upper city dwellers make me angry but as I stare at the ocean of neon colors and the people moving around them like bees, I understand them a little more for tolerating Haven and the chip. They live comfortable and luxurious lives. They're chasing the same thing I am. We're all just trying to survive. We simply have chosen different paths. They turned to Haven as their savior and we turned to ourselves. Us ground dwellers thought we were free but it turns out we're also slaves, we're just slaves to one another.

They don't realize they are slaves yet but they will soon. Haven will continue to push itself into their personal lives and take over everything. I've seen Project Beta. That mind control shit is the reason why my mother never wanted us to be reliant on it.

If Haven doesn't kill them first, those terrorists I've seen in the news will.Maybe they'll be the death of us all. The bombings and shootings are becoming more frequent. Not that it makes a difference if we all get blown up anyway, but some really bad shit is stirring and I'm not gonna be here for when the storm comes. There's nothing worth living for in this world, anyway, not anymore. Lisa was gone and now my mother is. I have nothing to live for.

I sigh softly shutting my eyes.

I'm sorry, mother. But this will free me. I will be with you shortly.

All I have to do is let go and the pain will leave me. The burden will be lifted. The building collapse, my sister and mother's death, losing my arms, the awful memories of Euphoria. I am almost free from all of it.

I lean forward more. A strong blast of cold wind collides with my body. I open my eyes to look down at the fall. Cars and planes rush far below me.

Just jump. That's all you have to do.

I lean forward to let my body fall but another blast of wind strikes me and I stagger backward. I regain my breath and step forward, placing myself back at the edge.

"You know, this whole suicide mission isn't going so well."

I jump at the voice and turn around. A tall boy leans against the skyscraper tower. He looks to be about my age if not a year or two older. His scarlet hair dances in the wind like flames and a black trench coat hugs his upper body tightly, flowing loosely around his jeans.

The boy grins at me and his golden eyes shimmer.

"Having second thoughts?"

I have nothing to return to. I won't listen to him, to whatever he has to say. The last time person to stop me from ending my life ended up using me. Thebes didn't want to save me and neither does he.

"No," I mutter, "Don't try to stop me."

"I wasn't going to."

What? I look at him over my shoulder. He kicks himself off the wall and saunters over to me, joining my side. He holds his arm out over the ledge with a strange grandeur.

"Go ahead," His eyes gleam brightly, "Jump."

This guy is sick. People like him are the exact reason why life isn't worth sticking around for.

I return my gaze to my fall. I need to end it. I need to end it now. My heels lift off the ground but I freeze staring at the great drop below.

The wind roars loudly. It pushes and pulls my weight from left to right, causing me to stagger around the edge. The nerves spike in my feet and a sudden fear of the fall comes over me as I am thrown around.

I don't understand why but I stagger backward. My heart races in my throat as I stare at the city level below me, twinkling in its splendor.

Why can't I jump?

A hand slips around my back and I suck in a breath as I'm spun around. My jaw drops as I land against the boy with flames for hair.

"See?" His whisper forms goosebumps on my skin, "You're not ready to die."

He's the same scum as Thebes, seeking helpless and desperate women to enslave. It always starts with a kind gesture but it's a lie. There's nothing behind it, only greed. He's not trying to help me, he only wants something from me.

I shove him off me and the wind blows harder around us.

"What do you want?" My voice cracks as I scream over the wind, "You want to tell me you got something better, that you have an offer for me? You want me to be in debt to you, to owe you forever?"

I laugh incredulously at him, painfully aware of the cold tears rolling down my cheeks. I'm about to break down in front of this stranger. I'm going to snap like I never have before.

"Well guess what! I'm broke! I have no money! You want sex? Is that what you want? You want to beat me up and call me 'bitch'?"

I throw my hood off and a cold sneer stretches across my lips as I rip off my shirt, leaving myself in only a bra before him. This is nothing to me, nothing. I throw it into the air and it circles me before flying off the roof. I heave with each breath as his eyes land on the bruises and scars across my abdomen and chest.

This is the most vulnerable I've been with anyone. No one has seen this side of me. No one has been my hurt. Why am I showing it to him, of all people?

I hold out my bruised arms to him.

"I don't look very hot. But maybe my bruises turn you on. You want to beat me up, don't you? Or maybe you just want to watch me do it to myself? Does that turn you on? Because a lot of men like it!"

I keep going in my tantrum, unable to stop screaming and unleashing everything at him. I take my left bionic arm and unlock it from my stub of an arm before chucking it at him. He doesn't try to evade the arm. It hits him square in the face. His eyes shut briefly as the metal arm hits him on the side of the face before landing at his feet.

I scream with everything I can, feeling the blood rush to my face.

"Beat me up! Go ahead! That's all I'm good for. Just do it!"

I hyperventilate watching and waiting for his response. After a long period of silence, the boy shocks me with another smile.

"You're an idiot, aren't you?"

He bends over to pick up my arm. When he's upright he waves it around like it's a toy, maneuvering my hand as though it is a puppet. My chest burns and tears form in my eyes. I feel the urge to punch him, only this time, there is nothing holding me back. His voice raises five octaves as he imitates me with it.

"Beat me up, that's all I'm good for!"

He's mocking me! After everything I've been through, now I'm being mocked about it? I scowl at the puppet show.

"Just call me bitch!"

Before I realize what I'm doing, my right fist swings into his jaw. My heart leaps with the force of the blow and his head snapping to the side. It's the first time I've stood up for myself, and it feels damn good.

"That's it..."

The humor in his voice creates a strange flutter in my stomach. Blood trickles from his lip as it widens into a warm smile. The red waves roll across his head before I see gold.

"Hit me. Fight for yourself..."

The soft whisper takes me aback and I slowly drop my arm. Did he just make me angry so I would punch him? Why? How could that possibly benefit him?

"Defend yourself."

My eyes widen staring at him. That's the first time anyone has told me that.

His smile grows bigger watching me, grows brighter. He looks on the verge of explosive laughter, tilting his head back. What in the world...why is he happy I punched him? More than that...why is that smile making me feel like this?

"You let people beat you up?" He mutters, "You let them touch you when you don't want it? You let people call you 'bitch'?"

My heart rams in my throat as he picks himself up. He holds my arm out to me in an offering.

"If you don't like it, fight back."

Fight back. That's something I could never do. Something I could never do until now. With mother gone, I have nothing to lose but my own life if I stand up to Warren. But I don't stand a chance against him, not when he has ties with samurai. Not when he holds my life in his hands.

I take my arm from him and return it to my stub.

"I don't have a choice."

"With that way of thinking you don't."

He sighs taking off his trench coat. It flaps behind him like a black flag in the wind. I stiffen as he lifts it toward me.

"What's your name?"

I don't understand. How could a stranger care about me? Even if it is sincere, and he is trying to help, he doesn't understand my situation. He doesn't know the danger I'd be in if I try to truly live my life.

"Lucy."

The warm fabric envelopes me, blocking off the cool wind. He pulls me toward him with the jacket, grinning playfully.

"What are you afraid of, Lucy?"

I'm surprised the question causes more tears to fall from my eyes. He lets go of me and puts his hands in his back pockets before turning away. I can tell he's waiting for an answer.

Am I really about to tell this stranger my life story? I know I have no one else but am I this desperate? What if he is just another Thebes?

But Thebes wouldn't let me hit him. Thebes would never tell me to stand up for myself. He would try to control me. But this stranger has let me run wild. Maybe...maybe I can entertain the thought of having someone to confide in.

"I'm a doll in Euphoria," I admit to my own surprise, "I'm dependent on Warren and have a debt to repay to him."

He looks down at the city with a strange calm, unsurprised look on his face. He nods slowly, seeming to have heard this story before.

"Warren threatened to kill my mother if I walked away. She was a paralytic and he paid for her medicine and our housing. I didn't run because I didn't want to lose her or our home...But she ended her life instead, to set me free from him."

"I'm sorry."

A lump forms in my throat. I swallow hard at what appears to be empathy in his soft gaze. Is any of this real? I can't believe I'm opening up to him about this.

"I don't think this is the freedom your mother had in mind...ending your life. I think this would upset her."

"I know that, it's just..."

I suck in a breath. He just doesn't get it.

"I'm trapped..."

"Then set yourself free."

"How?" I whisper, "How can I do that? I'm just one girl against a man and his empire."

I freeze hearing psychotic laughter beside me.

"What's with that helpless attitude?"

I've never felt pierced by a smile but he manages to deliver that feeling though I have no idea how.

"How much longer are you going to hide? How much pain will it take for you to say no? You gonna let him take your life?"

He reaches for my collar, tugging me toward his face. The golden eyes narrow sharply looking into mine, lighting a fire in my stomach.

"Stand up for yourself."

He's right...he's right. I'm done with Euphoria. I have nothing to lose now. I'm going to do what I should have done a long time ago. I'm going to stand up to him. I'm going to put up a fight. I'm going to stand up for myself.

My heart skips as I take in the square jaw and intent gaze. This dude, this random ass dude let me punch him in the face to help me realize I can fight. He benefitted nothing from this. He wasn't using me. He was helping me.

He's...flames stir within my cheeks.

Damn hot! It's a tragedy that I met him before I'm going to die.

"What's your name?" I ask him.

He tilts his head looking down at me and the mischievous smirk returns to his face. I may never see that smile again.

"Max..." He answers, "But you can call me whatever you want to babe-"

I wrap the trench coat around his neck and pull him down to me. His eyes are wide when our faces are inches apart. My heart beats rapidly as I lean toward him.

"Thank you, Max."

I'm glad the last person I met was a good one.

I press my mouth against his, pulling him into me for a kiss. He's shocked at first, stiff underneath my mouth, but then his lips move against mine and our breaths intertwine. His hot lips move slowly across mine, before pressing harder and adding fuel to the fire in my stomach.

I step away from him, sucking in a breath. The wind blows my hair off my shoulders and I gather it into my hands, forming a ponytail. My heart beats rapidly in my chest as he watches me solemnly.

"I'll come with you," He mutters.

"No..." I turn around, "This is my fight..."

I walk away from him, pausing to look at him one last time over my shoulder. I smile wistfully.

"Goodbye, Max."

I stride down the alley and stop at the back entrance. My fists screech on themselves before slamming into the door. It flies off its hinges and slides across the floor. The dolls in my path scatter like roaches.

Thebes is on me in seconds and scowls hideously. He raises a gun in my direction. I scream throwing my fist into his face. He's too shocked to react and too slow. He howls landing against the wall and I grab him by the shirt. I shake him hard and his pink eyes bulge out of his head like a fish out of water.

"You're done screwing me! Give me your money! Now!"

He lifts a shaking arm and I snatch the bills out of his hand before grabbing his face. I wring him like a rag.

"If I hear you frock another girl...if I hear you even touch them or their money, I'm coming for you! And I'm coming hard for you, mother frocker."

I slam him into the wall and kick him in the face, knocking the lights out of him. I've always wanted to do that and I could do a lot more-but I'm crunched for time. His backup will be hear any second. My heart hammers in my throat hearing running footsteps.

Too late. The hall is filled with six Masaki clan members. I grind my fists together and they screech as I raise them in front of me.

This is it. I'm going to fight. I've seen enough BUB matches. I've practiced their moves in my room. Even if I can't take em out, I'd rather die trying. I'm through with Euphoria. I'm through getting frocked by Warren and Thebes. I'm going to fight with everything I got.

I roar running toward the samurai.

"Come at me!"

Adrenaline rushes through my legs and arms the closer I get to them.

Three swords swing toward me and I slide to the ground, limboing under the blades. I punch one samurai in the gut with all my strength and he grunts doubling over. I get on my feet and kick him out of the way to get to another masked fool. I grab him by the shirt and haul him toward me. My fist's scream intertwines with my own as I smash through his mask.

"Eat it!"

I plant my foot into his chest and his body squeaks across the floor. It's music to my ears. Sweat beads down my forehead as I twirl around another blade, then two. I can't help but smile as I pound another masked freak in the face. This is kind of fun, really fun!

I punch him again and again until he slides down the wall in defeat. Hearing footsteps behind me, I roll quickly and a laser katana slices the air by my head. I hold the wall and lean into it as I kick the Masaki scum in the chest. She staggers backward, leaving herself open for a sucker punch to the face.

I take in my surroundings. Four are on the ground, stirring slowly. There's two left across from me, blocking me from Warren's office.

I scowl at the plasma guns in their hands. I can't charge at those two straight on. The barrels glow orange, boasting a heavy gunfire to follow.

I dive into the neighbor hall. I've got this place memorized like the back of my hand. There should be a joint hallway connected to where I am. To my luck, I get to the corner first and tackle a samurai to the ground. Her partner points the gun at me but I roll, causing her to shoot her own, encompassing the samurai's back in an awful burn. I rip her gun from her hands as she screams and point it at the one who shot her.

"Say goodnight!"

I blast her off her feet and she flies a few yards away from me.

I crawl onto my hands, gasping for breath as I stand up. My right arm and thigh stings and oozes blood. I got bladed twice but the wounds aren't too deep. I won't bleed to death but I feel myself running low on energy. I'm exhausted and there's going to be more samurai on the other side of this door. Probably a whole room full of them. I can't dodge all those blades and gunfire.

I knew this was going to happen. I knew I was going to go down fighting but I'll be able to die with peace of mind. I'll be able to face mom proudly in the afterlife knowing I've done what I can to stand up for myself.

I just wish I had more time with Max.

I sigh softly tightening the straps on my bra. I should have changed before I came here into a sports bra but whatever. I'm ending this now and I don't care what I'm wearing.

I throw the metal door open. Just as I expected, a solid twenty Masaki samurai stand between Warren and I. He sits at his desk, wearing an amused smile and an eased posture.

"Angel," He mutters, "I'm going to make you suffer for this."

"You already have."

I step toward him but a blade slides against my neck, stopping me in my tracks. My arms are forced behind me and cuffs tighten around my wrists. I struggle against the samurai but a fist knocks the air out of me and I double over.

Warren rolls his eyes, dismissing me with a wave.

"Take her to the basement."

I spit in his direction.

"Frock you!"

The samurai shove me toward the hall. This is going to be bad, very bad. I drag my feet after them, feeling my heart sink with our silent walk.

Music suddenly erupts around us. Deafening rock and roll rings my eardrums, bringing a smile to my face. The samurai on my right screams to his superior.

"What's going on?"

"Stay in formation!" The captain barks.

An odd sense of Deja Vu comes over me when I feel the ground shake and the walls cave in. Only this time, I'm not afraid. I laugh hearing the explosions mixed with the music. Shards of wood spray on us as another wall explodes. Gunshots ripple through the air around me and I dive to the ground. Hearing bodies drop around me, I move quickly to bring my arms in front of me. I don't know what's going on but I'm getting out of here.

I swing my cuffed hands under my legs and crawl across the floor, away from the gunfire. When it fades in volume, I push myself up and run, coughing on the smoke. I don't get far before someone slams me into a wall. I turn to find a blur of purple hair before a hand grabs my throat. I gasp for while Warren punches me in the face. My head knocks against the wall with each blow and blood trickles down my nose.

"Call them off! Right now!" He shouts.

I shake my head in between blows. My vision blurs as I struggle to breathe. I don't know who he's talking about! I'm not responsible for this!

A gunshot explodes by my head and he falls in front of me, his body going limp. My head feels like lead as I lift it up. I blink a few times. In the smoke, I make out a blurred outline of a figure coming toward me. The gunshots have stopped but the loud music continues to pound.

I make out a gas mask on their face. It lets out a low hiss as someone pulls it over their head. Unruly, flaming hair twists out from underneath the mask. The music stops and I stand frozen against the wall as Max takes another step toward me, his golden eyes glowing.

That was all him...? The explosions, the music, the shooting?

"Max?" My voice shakes, "That was you?"

"You expect me not to follow you after you kissed me like that?"

He stops in front of me, staring at me seriously.

"When I said fight back, I didn't mean take on a whole clan yourself. What are you, crazy? Only I would do something like that..."

He plants his hands above my head, smiling broadly.

"Then you fight like you've been a BUB for years out of nowhere...taking out eight samurai twice your size with your bare hands. Not even I could do that."

He throws his head back to cackle.

"You bad-ass woman!"

I let out a soft breath as he meets my gaze. He was the one who gave me the courage to fight.

"Thanks for saving me."

He shrugs his shoulders like it was nothing.

"I wasn't going to let you fall. Not on the skyscraper and not here."

What is this...? A genuine person, a simple do-gooder? He went out of his way to save me. Am I finally getting a lucky break meeting someone like him? Someone that is kind and caring?

I push myself off the wall and wrap my arms around his neck. He grunts under my kiss, pressing his mouth into mine softly. We roll slowly across the wall before our feet hit something and we tumble onto the ground.

Max breaks my fall and we laugh realizing we tripped over an unconscious Samurai.

"Let's get out of here," Max snickers waving smoke away from his face

I push myself up, smiling as I look down at him. My first moment of freedom. What am I going to do with it? Ask this psycho out, that's for sure.

"Wanna go on a date?"

The music dies down, slowing to a steady beat. The neon lights above our heads dim and the dance floor glows pink. People shuffle around us, either grabbing their date or a random person to dance with.

A hand slips into mine and I am twirled around to face my stranger. He pulls me close to him and we sway together with the slow beat, hand in hand. His golden eyes study my face as we move. I lower my head and watch the pink floor darken to red.

"So, what are you going to do with your newly found freedom? Got any dreams?"

I laugh softly, "Well, I've always wanted to be a BUB."

He twirls me, "I've got a fixer joint near the Jungle BUB arena."

No frocking way. I can't believe it.

"You're a fixer?" I exclaim, "Do you work in the Jungle?"

He laughs at my excitement. Frock! I cannot contain my big, idiotic smile, no matter how hard I try. If he's connected to the Jungle, I can't believe I'm standing in the same room as him. He's got to know Irene!

"Not entirely," He admits, "Most of my repairs are for the day-to-day artificial limb users. Though I have been called in and met Irene...I fixed her last match."

"No way!" I shout, making heads turn around us, "That was you? You worked as her fixer?"

"Yeah!" He shouts louder than me, "It was so cool!"

"No frocking way!"

Max's psychotic laughter erupts beside me and my stomach flutters as I stare at that jawline.

"You know I could get you a match!"

"N-no way..."

"Oh, yeah."

"You'd do that?"

My breath staggers as he wraps his arm under my back. He slowly dips me to the floor and there's a surprising elegance in the way he moves. My body arches towards his and my head falls back. He lowers his face to mine and the red tips of his hair brush against my forehead.

"Anything for you."

This isn't happening. It has to be a dream. How could my life turn around so quickly?

"Th-thank you, Max! You're amazing."

"I know," He smiles, bringing me onto my feet, "But you're amazing yourself. You just needed someone to believe in you."

I hug him close to me and we sway together with the music. He laughs suddenly, bringing a smile to my face.

"You'll be wiping the floor with them."

"You think so?"

"I know so. But you'll need training. Lucky for me, I'm friends with a lot of BUBs. You may even get to meet Irene."

I pull away to look at him. He...is a gift. Truly, a gift. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for him. There really is hope for me. I feel it, I know it. I can live my own life. I can be strong apart from Warren.

I can be a BUB. The opportunity is opening before my very eyes. I can live my dream.

"I'm glad I met you, Max. And I'm not just saying that because of what you've done for me. You've inspired me. You've given me hope."

He smiles pulling me into his embrace.

"Come here you little flamethrower."

I chuckle landing against him and he mutters softly to me.

"You're gonna light the world on fire."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207K 8.2K 61
"Are you coming to bed firefly?" He says to me laying his hands over my waist joining me in looking over the city. "I want to look out for a little...
823 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
32.1K 461 20
The year was 2157 when Earth crumbled and governments fell. Most living things died and their was a silence on earth that was deafening. The first pa...
Paragon By Cat

Science Fiction

442 8 32
COMPLETED, IN THE PROCESS OF EDITING To our creators, it was a simple plan. They would send us in, wait for us to take out the Prime Order Director...