𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐘 - DIN DJARIN

By dindjarindiaries

❝𝐈 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲.❞ An ex-princess forced to hide and fight for her l... More

SEASON ONE
Chapter 1: The Mandalorian
Chapter 2: The Princess
Chapter 3: The Hunter
Chapter 4: The Soldier
Chapter 5: The Village
Chapter 6: Confliction
Chapter 7: The Attack
Chapter 8: The Ruin
Chapter 9: The Recovery
Chapter 10: The Hunt
Chapter 11: The Rookie
Chapter 12: The Job
Chapter 13: The Gang
Chapter 14: Domination
Chapter 15: The Scar
Chapter 16: The Magistrate
Chapter 17: The Confrontation
Chapter 18: The Plan
Chapter 19: The Culmination
Chapter 20: Salvation
Chapter 21: The Riduurok*
Ethereal (Interlude)
Nova (Interlude)
SEASON TWO
Chapter 22: The Return
Chapter 23: The Settlement
Chapter 24: The Ally
Chapter 25: The Dragon
Chapter 26: Desperation*
Chapter 27: The Crash
Chapter 28: The Cave
Chapter 29: The Boat
Chapter 30: Devastation
Chapter 31: The Mission
Chapter 32: The Layover
Chapter 33: The Revelation
Chapter 34: The Father
Chapter 35: The Son
Chapter 36: The Promise
Chapter 37: The Loss
Chapter 38: Coercion
Chapter 39: The Sacrifice
Chapter 40: The Threat
Chapter 41: The Duel
Chapter 42: The Goodbye
Aftermath (Interlude)
Desolation (Interlude)
Miracle (Interlude)
SEASON 2.5 (TBOBF)
Chapter 43: The Wanderers
Chapter 44: The Way
Chapter 45: The Voyage
Chapter 46: The Starfighter
Chapter 47: The Disillusioned
Chapter 48: The Storm
Chapter 49: The Battle
Chapter 50: Reunion*
Bliss (Interlude)
Honor (Interlude)
SEASON THREE
Chapter 51: The Quest
Chapter 52: Restoration
Chapter 53: The Burden
Chapter 54: The Homeworld
Chapter 55: The Torment
Chapter 56: The Waters
Chapter 57: Redemption*
Chapter 58: The Armor
Chapter 59: The Lesson
Chapter 61: The Siege
Chapter 62: The Droid Problem
Chapter 63: The Investigation
Chapter 64: The Darksaber
Chapter 65: The Unification
Chapter 66: The Surface
Chapter 67: The Capture
Chapter 68: The Pursuit
Chapter 69: Liberation
Chapter 70: The Apprentice
Chapter 71: Home*

Chapter 60: The Briefing

1.5K 78 21
By dindjarindiaries

chapter 60: the briefing •••

The light of the fire's flames flicker around the cave as Astra sits and watches them with an anxious knot tied within her armored chest. Her desire to help the people of Nevarro only grows more and more with each moment that passes, and the longer she has to wait to reach them, the worse it becomes. The uncertainty of having the covert's aid doesn't help, leaving Astra to wring her gloved hands together as she watches the Armorer stand in front of the gathered group.

Din sets one of his hands over hers to ease her anxious actions. She looks over at him and her gaze meets his visor. He gives her a firm nod as his gloved fingers thread through hers and offer a reassuring squeeze. Din doesn't have to say a word for Astra to understand. It's gonna be okay.

"Din Djarin has requested this meeting," the Armorer announces, calling the attention of the Mandalorians who have been murmuring amongst themselves. She lifts the tool in her hand and goes on. "He will speak to you about Greef Karga and the crisis on Nevarro." The Armorer's visor sets itself on Din. "Come forward."

Astra gives Din's hand a quick squeeze before he stands and makes his way over to the Armorer. She offers him the tool in her hand and takes her place amidst the collected group. Din glances at the tool and directs his attention towards the Armorer. "Thank you." He gestures to the rest of the covert. "The rest of you have my gratitude for accepting an audience with me."

Warmth starts to blaze within the depths of Astra's chest already as she watches and listens to Din. He's come a long way from being the man who was almost too shy to speak to the people of Freetown about the Tuskens. The confident strides he starts to take on the sand prove that even more.

"Now, many of you don't know Greef Karga," Din goes on, "and those that do fought against him when you rescued me from his ambush many cycles ago on the streets of Nevarro."

Astra glances at her hands in her lap for a moment and lets a small smile tug at the corners of her lips. It was the night she and Din first met, the beginning of their forever—but for others, it was a night of devastation and loss. Her smile starts to fade as she looks up at Din again.

Din stops walking and faces the group with severity. "Since then, he's had a change of heart and has risked his life to save mine as well as the foundling in my charge."

Astra glances at Grogu, who sits alongside Zora in their pod that floats at the Armorer's side. He coos as if he's agreeing with Din's words.

"I stand before you to petition an intervention." Din's visor scans the group, but when it finds Astra's gaze, he stops for a moment to seek her comfort. "To help rescue Nevarro before it's too late."

Astra resists the urge to stand and run to his side. As hard as it is for her to wait to rescue Nevarro, it's even more difficult for Din. He's known Greef for a long time and the planet itself was once a home to him. He's been strong ever since he received the news from Captain Teva and watched Greef's message for help, but Astra isn't ignorant of the deep desperation that festers underneath his beskar.

"I am in no position to ask any more of you," Din continues, peeling his visor away from Astra to focus on the group again. "However..."

Din's forced to pause as the Mandalorians start to murmur amongst themselves. Astra looks at them with a furrow in her brow, her armored shoulders rising as she prepares to demand silence for her husband. It's only Bo-Katan's gloved hand on her pauldron that stops her, the Mandalorian at her side offering a reassuring tilt of her helmet. "He'll handle it," Bo whispers to her. Astra nods at her and forces herself to take a deep breath.

"However." Din's voice becomes more firm as he lifts the tool in his hand. The group falls silent. Astra's lips curl up in sly satisfaction as he lets the tool fall back to his side. "The enemy that decimated this very covert were Imperials, not Greef Karga's bounty hunters." He pauses to let the realization fall upon the Mandalorians. "Greef Karga is now a High Magistrate and has offered me a tract of land on his independent world."

Din gives Astra another glance. She smiles at him in encouragement and offers a nod. He tilts his helmet and she watches his free hand tighten into a fist at his side. Din remains focused on Astra as he speaks.

"Perhaps it is time for us to live in the light once again on a planet where we are welcome, so our culture may flourish," his visor scans the group and lands on the pod at the Armorer's side, "and our children can feel what it is to play in the sunlight."

Astra beams as she gazes at him. It's a conversation they haven't been able to have ever since they found out the covert would have to relocate, but for Din to remember his unspoken promise to her of creating a home for them on Nevarro brings her a warmth that rivals the flames that light up the cave around them. He wants to make a safe place for them in this galaxy and at long last, their path has led them—and their people—back to Nevarro.

Din focuses on the Armorer as he approaches her and offers up the tool in his hand. She rises and takes it from him, letting him step away and return to Astra's side. "Does anyone else wish to speak?" she questions the group.

The Mandalorians start to look at each other, but Astra can only focus on hers. As soon as he sits down, Astra reaches for his hand, holding it tight in her own as her head rests against his arm. Din sets their entwined hands on his armored thigh and whispers to her. "It's up to them now."

Astra smiles and looks up at him. "Well, either way, I'm proud of you. You were very eloquent."

Din rests his helmet upon her forehead. His voice is strained when he responds. "Thank you."

Astra stays in the sweet moment as long as she can, but the voice of someone else tears her from it much too soon. "I do," Paz finally answers the Armorer's question.

Astra resists the urge to jump up and speak before he can. Instead, she remains at Din's side, holding his hand even tighter as she watches Paz take the metal tool from the Armorer's hand. He nods at her before he starts to make his way to the place where Din was just standing.

"I was there on Nevarro that night," Paz begins, his voice low. "I fought against Greef Karga and his hunters. I saw my brothers and sisters fall at the hands of the Imperial butchers that hunted us in the sewers."

Astra's gaze falls to her and Din's entwined hands for a moment. While it was ultimately the decision of the covert to reveal themselves, she was the one who had approached them with the plea for help. She's hit with a quick pang of guilt that resolves itself when Din secures his free hand over theirs and offers a comforting tilt of his helmet.

"I saw many die to save the life of this one, tiny foundling." Paz gestures to Grogu, who coos in the pod alongside his sister. Astra tightens her jaw in fury while Din's grasp already starts to tighten on their hands. They both summon their strength to let Paz go on. "And now we are asked to sacrifice yet again."

The group starts to murmur amongst themselves. Astra and Din glance at each other and she lets herself be comforted by the familiarity of his visor. The way the flames reflect off his beskar reminds her of their nights spent on Sorgan, a memory that dissipates her worries if even for just a single moment.

"The question we should be asking ourselves is, 'Why? Why should we lay our lives down yet again?'"

Astra looks over at Bo-Katan, who continues to sit on her other side. It's relieving to know that their ally will help them even if the covert chooses not to. She awaits Paz's call for rejection with a breath she holds within her armored chest.

"Because we are Mandalorians." Paz's voice has risen with the strength of a thousand warriors. Astra exhales in disbelief as she and Din share a quick glance. "I have had my disagreements with this man," Paz gestures to Din, "but he risked his life to save my son."

Astra looks up at him with a proud smile as she rests her head against his arm again. Din's helmet lowers in shyness, his gloved fingers playing with hers.

"Bo-Katan Kryze did not give up on my child's life even when the rest of us did."

Bo-Katan nods with respect out of the corner of Astra's eye. She's prepared for Paz to move on, but his visor looks straight at her.

"And Astra Djarin was the one who urged us to save one of our own long before she even joined our ranks."

Astra's lips part in shock as she glances at Paz with incredulity. When she looks at Din again, his helmet is tilted with an affection that words could never bring to justice.

"They are asking us to take up arms in the name of a brighter future, and I for one will take up arms to fight by their side." The crowd begins to stir with agreement in a way that makes the weight fall off of Astra's armored shoulders. "This is the Way."

Astra joins in with the crowd's unified response. "This is the Way."

Everyone looks to the Armorer as she offers a decisive nod. "This is the Way." She rises from her seat and takes the metal tool from Paz's gloved hand. "We will group together at first light to hear the plan from Clan Djarin and Bo-Katan Kryze. Tonight, you all must seek rest for the battle ahead."

With that, the Mandalorians begin to rise from their places around the fire. Astra and Din follow their lead, their hands remaining entwined even as they approach Paz and the Armorer. The pod's brought back to their side, with Zora already fast asleep and Grogu lifting his ears in joy. Din only drops Astra's hand to reach his arm out towards Paz, who accepts it in a warm and respectful handshake.

"Thank you," Din says to his Mandalorian brother.

Paz nods and lowers his arm. "This is the Way."

Those become their parting words as the Mandalorians go their separate ways. Astra and Din remain silent on their short walk back to their quarters, the last evening they'll get to spend there. Astra tries not to dwell too much on the thought of it as Din holds the curtain open for her and their children and secures it closed behind them.

"I wasn't expecting that from Paz," Astra starts telling Din. She watches as he joins her by the table and sets his helmet on top of it. "I thought he would—."

Astra doesn't get a chance to finish as Din's hands reach for her face and pull her towards him. Their lips meet and Astra forgets everything she was going to say, instead indulging in this unexpected moment of strong affection that threatens to drown her in the very best way. She brings herself even closer to him, each beat of her heart flickering with a flame more ardent than the fire that had once lit up the cave. Her hands press against his armored chest and remain there even when he's forced to pull away from her, mostly for the sake of their young audience.

Astra raises an eyebrow at him, awaiting an explanation. Din's gaze searches her with amazement. "You never told me you were the one who convinced them to save me."

Astra's gaze falls to her hands on his cuirass as she shrugs. "It was their decision to make. I just told them what was happening."

"Paz said you urged them to." Din runs his thumbs over his cheek, a soft smile painted across his lips. "He's a man of his word, cyar'ika."

Astra sets her hand over one of his. "Well, that was many years ago. Let's focus on what you did tonight." She lifts his glove just enough to set a kiss on the skin of his wrist. "You should be very proud of the way you called them to action."

Din's face already starts to redden as he looks to the side. "Greef's done a lot for us." His gaze finds Astra's again. "And this gives us the chance to make a home there for us and the covert, one that isn't temporary."

He lowers his hands from her face and sets one on her armored shoulder. Din turns her around and wraps his arms around her, easing her back against his cuirass and resting his chin upon her head as they look around the space of their quarters together.

"It'll be furnished with more than just stone. There'll be a place where we can make a fire to keep it warm, just like the ones we made on Sorgan." Astra's eyes start to water with joy just at the thought of it. She rests her head against one of Din's arms as he goes on. "I'll make a place to hang up our armor and our weapons so that we can enjoy the sunlight and comfort with our children." He presses a kiss to her head. "How does that sound?"

Astra closes her eyes and imagines it. There's only one word that's fitting enough for it. "Perfect."

Din's smile is audible in his tone. "Good." He releases a soft breath and pulls Astra closer. "Just one more battle."

"I'll fight a thousand more battles if that's what it takes to have a home with you."

A breath hitches in Din's throat, rendering him speechless for a moment. He exhales to let it out in a sigh that's both soft and sweet. "That was spoken like a true Mandalorian." Din kisses her temple and lets her go. "For now, we should rest. I'll put the kids to bed if you want to get a head start."

Astra nods to agree with him, her gaze remaining on him as he takes the pod with their sleeping children and brings it to their room. She crosses her arms over her chest while she watches him. It's the last time they'll spend the night here, a bittersweet thought that rocks Astra's clouded mind. It was a temporary home that served them well, and now, they're just one crucial step away from their long-term home.

And even with all the comfort of Din's words, that familiar feeling of worry still makes its way back to her.

Like Sorgan, Freetown, and Mos Espa, Astra and Din will serve the people of Nevarro in this battle, but it always goes back to Astra's fight for the people of Arilia. She never heard how many of her people got off planet before the first fiery piece of Alderaan broke through Arilia's atmosphere. All she knew was that those who were on her ship were the only ones who made it to Tatooine. The others had either scattered or been destroyed.

That's why Astra's not surprised when Din holds her tighter tonight as they lay together. She doesn't say a word, but she doesn't have to, and neither does he. The memories of her past have become much like his own. Their pleas for each other's safety are silent, but understood. Astra's hand is clutched around Din's Mythosaur necklace and his arms act as a delicate vice around her. They refuse to make promises, but each unspoken word hangs in the air like dense fog, haunting their rest that's supposed to be peaceful.

When Astra wakes, it's to the sound of Zora's distant crying. She manages to pry herself from Din's arms without waking him as she makes her way from their room to their children's. As soon as Astra pulls the curtain aside, she sees Zora's brown eyes glittering with tears.

"Mama," Zora cries for her, reaching her arms out with desperation. The single word slams a wave of worry against Astra's chest as she looks upon the source of it.

"Oh, Zo," Astra sighs in sympathy. She makes her way to Zora's bed and holds her, letting her crying daughter bury her face in her mother's shoulder. "I'm sorry I'm worrying you. Everything's going to be just fine, my angel."

Zora's cries soften, but they don't stop. Astra rests her head against Zora's curls and continues.

"You're gonna be with Papa the whole time, okay? You and Grogu will stay together." Astra kisses Zora's head. "I won't be far away, I just won't be in the ship with you. I've got to help our people on the ground."

Zora lifts her head and blinks. "Papa?"

Astra nods. "Yes, Zo. You'll be with Papa."

Zora's gaze leaves Astra and points over her shoulder. "Papa."

Astra turns her head and sees Din leaning against the threshold. He offers a small and guilty smile before Astra's gaze returns to Zora with a guilt of her own. She hasn't had a chance to brief Din on her ideas just yet. Astra prepares for him to convince her otherwise.

"I figured that would be the plan." Din's words earn a look of surprise from Astra as she raises her brow at him. He steps towards her and she sees nothing but pride in his gaze. "You've always been the bravest one of us."

Astra shrugs as shyness threatens to overtake her. "I just know I'll serve them better on the ground." She smiles at him. "The N-1 is your specialty, not mine."

Din closes the distance between them, his hand cupping her cheek before his finger starts to trace her scar. "Remember to use your armor," he says, his voice low. "You've trained long and hard for this moment. Don't doubt yourself." Din's hand returns to her cheek. "You're just as strong and capable as the others."

Astra nods at him. "I know." She leans into his touch. "You've helped me realize that."

Din's gaze softens. "You always have been, even before you got your armor."

"Well... the armor helps."

Din laughs and nods. "It definitely makes me feel better about your safety." He releases a gentle breath and bends down to rest his forehead against hers. His eyes remain closed even as he sets his free hand on Zora's head. "I'll be glad when this battle is over, though."

Astra sets her hand over his. "So will I." She brushes her thumb over his skin. "But at least I'll get to put this armor and your training to use."

Din huffs and reopens his eyes. "Very true. Sorry I have to miss seeing it for myself."

Astra shrugs, her gaze flickering between his gaze and lips. "It's probably for the best."

Din chuckles, closing the gap between them to kiss her. When he pulls away, he also gives Zora's head a kiss. "We should start getting ready. Bo wanted us to brief the plan with her one more time before we present it to the covert."

Astra nods, her focus returning as she helps to get her relaxed daughter as well as their son ready for the eventful day ahead. Grogu listens with intent to Astra's instructions on how he ought to help keep his sister safe during the fight. She helps Din with his armor shortly after and he returns the favor. They leave behind their temporary home just in time to meet with Bo-Katan, who eagerly awaits them just outside the mouth of the covert's cave.

"Good morning," Bo greets them, a smile evident in her tone as she watches Din steady Zora on his hip. "Are all of you ready for the battle ahead?"

"We are," Astra asserts, sharing a look with Din as they both nod.

"Good." Bo sets her visor on Din, her arms crossing over her cuirass. "Are you still good to join me in the air?"

"I am," Din responds, his visor finding Astra's gaze. "But... Astra won't be with me." He pauses and Astra watches him take Zora's tiny hand between two of his gloved fingers. "She'll be joining the forces on the ground."

Bo looks at Astra with her helmet raised. "Are you prepared to drop in?"

Astra straightens her armored shoulders and nods. "I'm prepared to do whatever it takes."

Bo tilts her helmet. "Perfect." Her visor looks beyond their clan, and when Astra's gaze follows it, she can see the rest of the covert starting to emerge. "I can brief them, unless you'd like to."

Din exchanges a look with Astra before he answers for them. "Go ahead." He turns to face Astra and sets his free hand on her armored shoulder. "I'm gonna take the kids to the N-1 if you'd like to stay here for the full briefing. Just..." he runs his gloved thumb over her mudhorn, "see me before we all go."

Astra sets her hand over his. "I will." She wraps her hand around the back of his helmet to make it meet her forehead. The gesture speaks for both of them as Din forces himself to step away and take their children back towards the N-1. Astra watches them for a long moment before she falls alongside the other members of the covert who have started to gather in front of Bo and the Gauntlet. Once everyone's gathered, Bo-Katan begins, her presence as powerful as her voice.

"This is a Kom'rk Class fighter transport," Bo introduces the ship behind her. She strides across the shore, her visor scanning the group of united Mandalorians. "I'll use this to drop you in and you will operate as a tight military unit."

She points behind them, and a quick turn of Astra's head rewards her with the sight of Din leaning against the starfighter with Zora still set on his hip. Zora offers an adorable wave at the attention they start to earn. Astra smiles and forces herself to look away before she abandons her plan in favor of staying with her family.

"Din Djarin and myself will reinforce from above." Bo-Katan nods in Din's direction. "If everyone acts as they should, we can use the element of surprise and defeat an enemy that outnumbers us." She scans the crowd once more and adds a final decisive nod. "This is the Way."

Astra joins the chorus that responds. "This is the Way."

Bo-Katan leads the way onto the Gauntlet, but Astra hangs back. She weaves through the advancing group to get to Din, who's since set Zora in the pod alongside Grogu. He anticipates her approach with a shift of weight between his feet. Astra's heart sinks as she wastes no time wrapping her arms around him, letting him hold her just as tight in return.

"Next time I see you," Astra starts, her voice as soft as she can make it, "we'll be one step closer to our true home."

Din takes a deep breath and lifts Astra to hold her face between his gloved hands. "You're my true home, cyar'ika." He rests his helmet against her forehead. "Never forget that." His gloved fingers run over her skin. "Protect yourself as fiercely as you would our home."

"I will." Astra smiles and grasps his wrists to give them a gentle squeeze. She pulls away from him only to set a kiss on each of her children's heads. "Be good for Papa, okay?" They coo in response, with Grogu even setting a protective hand over Zora's. Astra looks at Din and cups his beskar cheek. "I love you."

Din covers her hand with his. "I love you, too." He gestures to her vambrace. "Comm me if something goes sideways. Okay?"

Astra nods. "Okay." She lowers her hand to his cuirass and lets it linger before she forces herself to step away. Astra takes a deep breath to shift her focus from her family to the battle ahead, knowing that the people of Nevarro deserve every ounce of ferocity and precision she keeps within herself. Just ahead of her on the boarding ramp is Paz, who turns and waits for her to approach.

"Are you joining us in the drop?" Paz asks her. Astra nods to respond, her jaw set as she anticipates defending herself. Instead, Paz offers a nod in return. "That's very bold of you." He leads the way for them into the ship and to their spots, a row of collapsable seats that'll give way once they've arrived on Nevarro. Once they sit, Paz's visor turns towards Astra again. "I figured you'd be staying with Djarin."

Astra shakes her head. "I wouldn't be doing much there. Din's the pilot, not me." Astra tightens her gloved hands around her armored thighs. "The covert needs me on the ground. That's where I can help the most."

The engines of the Gauntlet start to rumble as Paz nods in respect at Astra, a slow gesture that brings a small smile to Astra's lips. "This is the Way."

Astra resists the urge to let the familiar sense of worry return as she delights in Paz's praise. "This is the Way."

With that, the Gauntlet takes off, bringing Astra, her family, and the covert closer to a battle that could determine the future of them all. •••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 186 51
"I'll cover these vibrant eyes And forget the pain" -Vibrant Eyes, CG5 ~*'*'*~ Din Djarin's life changed in three instances. In the first, he was sav...
45.8K 1K 23
when he left, she didn't just lose him, she lost her entire religon - Mando walks into a cantina on an unfamiliar planet, completely unaware that an...
3.3K 234 14
Cressida Orion is on the run, trying to escape her past and present. Din Djarin is a hard core bounty hunter, who's still struggling with returning...
3.8K 133 10
The Mandalorian now has a little creature in his care; milestones big and small and a little out of order are bound to occur. (Firsts between The Man...