It was you (Completed)

By PerfectlyPoppy

Sang left 6 years ago after finding out that all the boys were in love with her. They had told her she had to... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue
Dedication
Bonus Chapter

Chapter 7

2.2K 207 15
By PerfectlyPoppy

                I know I have to quickly shake off my stupor from what happened outside. I shouldn't be so surprised about his need to take control, he was intense when we were younger and seems even more so now. That wasn't what had shocked me though. It's silly, but for a second there I thought he was going to kiss me. And then, when he told me to call him Owen, I just...sigh.

                Giving myself a sharp mental shake, I stand up straight and put a bright smile on my face. We can discuss this further tonight, after we get out of here. There is so much to talk about. I understand his need to know more about what we are doing, but I'm anxious to catch up too. I want to find out how everyone has been. I may have only been in love with one, but that night I lost nine people that I cared more about than anyone else before or since. My true family.

                We walk through a foyer and around a table in the center filled with a floral arrangement. The marble floor gleams under the light from the crystal chandelier overhead. A reception desk stands off to our left, but it's unmanned. Instead, an attendant is next to the double doors across from where we had entered and he directs us into a large room. It appears that this was usually the dining room for the regular club members, but right now most of the tables had been cleared out. Running late, we appear to be the last to arrive, as there are about 50 guests mingling around the room, several uniformed attendants walking amongst them carrying trays with drinks and hors d'oeuvres. One such fellow hurries over to us, and Mr. Blackbourne, uh, Owen hands a flute of champagne to me before taking one for himself.

                I smile up into his face, saying "thank you, darling. I'm so excited about this party!"

                "You're most welcome, my dear. Shall we?" He draws me forward into the crowd, stopping to exchange a couple pleasantries. It seems that he is a member of the club, not surprising considering what he had told me that day we had spied on Hendricks and the superintendent. He introduces me as his date to a few of his acquaintances while I continue to sip on my champagne. The more I thought about it, the more I knew that he is far better suited for this than Brandon would've been. Owen, with his polished formalities, fits in here in a way that the broody motorcycle mechanic never could.

                Currently he is chatting with an elderly gentleman that has a pot belly and a comb over but is dressed in an expensive tux. "Mr. Mitchell, I'd like you to meet Miss Casey Dublin. Casey, this is Mr. George Mitchell, an old friend of my mother's." I can't help but clench tighter onto the arm I'm hanging onto. A friend of his mom's? I know that's a sensitive subject for him, although I don't know the reason why.

                "I've told you a hundred times to call me George, none of this Mr. Mitchell nonsense!" George gives me a huge smile and holds his large hand out to me. Latching onto my fingers, he draws me forward out of Owen's grasp and gives my hand a kiss before looking me up and down with twinkling eyes. "Well, well, Owen! Where have you been hiding this beauty!" he exclaims in a booming voice. I let out a quick giggle before ducking my head shyly. He releases my hand and I take the opportunity to drain my glass and place it on the tray of the passing attendant.

                Owen lets out a brief chuckle behind me. "Casey is joining me this weekend from Florida. I met her last week on a trip I took and she was gracious enough to accompany me here."

                "Well if she's willing to attend a stuffy affair like this one, she's definitely a keeper," comes a voice from nearby. Turning to my right, I see a gentleman had come up from behind.

                "Jimmy! I was wondering if you'd be joining us this evening. Have you met Owen Blackbourne? And this charming young lady accompanying him is Casey," George says while extending a hand to the newcomer. He shakes hands with George then turns to do the same with Owen before reaching for mine. He leans forward to place a kiss on my hand, but, unlike George, his lips linger on my skin as he looks up at me from under long black lashes.

                He stands back up but doesn't release my hand. "It's a pleasure to meet such a beautiful woman. Please excuse George, he's known me a very long time. The name is James actually. James Metcalfe."

                I giggle and manage a small blush on demand. "The pleasure is mine," I respond. Looking at him, I can tell how he manages to reel women in. Aside from being exceptionally wealthy, he is also very attractive. He has smooth, tan, olive toned skin with a head of slightly unruly black hair and hazel eyes. He stands at a similar height and build to Owen and carries a sense of charisma about him.

                "I do hope you'll save me a dance later," he says, finally releasing my hand. He gives Owen and George a head nod, then winks at me as he turns and walks back through the crowd. Owen grabs my hand and pulls me back up to his side. I can tell he's unhappy with the exchange so I give his fingers a quick squeeze and send a smile his way, hoping to help him relax a little.

                George seems to notice and clasps Owen's shoulder before saying "don't worry about Jimmy! He's a huge flirt but totally harmless. At any rate, he was right. Hold on to this one, she's a keeper! Anyway, it was wonderful to see you, lad. Don't be such a stranger!" He turns and gives me a grin before walking away.

                Owen lets out a short breath and looks down at me. I lean up on my toes with my hand on his shoulder to whisper in his ear. "James is one of two that we suspect here." I feel him tense up beneath my hand. "The other one's name is Tom Bennett. We need to continue to mingle, see if we can spot him." I pop a quick peck of my lips on his neck and smile as I set my heels back down, hoping to play my whispering off as flirting if anyone else had noticed.

                He leans over to me, running his nose down and then back up my neck, causing me to close my eyes and shudder briefly. I let out a gasp as I feel his warm breath on my ear. His hand skims up my arm then down my back to land just above my bottom, pulling me closer to his chest. In less than five seconds, he has pulled my attention away from everything in the room, to the point that the noise level from the music and other guests around seems to have disappeared.

He brings my focus back where it belongs when he whispers into my ear. "Mr. Metcalfe joined another gentleman shortly after leaving you and I saw them glancing this way. A few couples have started dancing. We can join and see if we can move closer in that direction."

                He steps back a little but keeps his hand pressed to the small of my back. I take a moment to collect myself. He had followed my lead with flirting, and I had foolishly let myself get sucked in. I can feel my cheeks flaming red from both his touch and the embarrassment that I had lost myself when he had kept perfect focus. He asks me to dance and I bob my head in the affirmative without meeting his eyes. I don't trust my voice quite yet.

                He leads me out on the dance floor and gives me a short bow before clasping my right hand with his left and placing his other hand on my waist. I've finally managed to get myself semi under control and look up at his face. I see his eyes narrow slightly at me from behind his glasses, swirling steel that seems darker than usual. The string quartet in the corner begins a waltz and we start to move. I'm thankful that my Academy training included dancing lessons, glad that I'm able to follow his lead without stepping on his toes.

There are five other couples dancing nearby and the remainder of the guests line the dance floor on three sides. The remaining side is covered with windows overlooking an outdoor deck and the golf course beyond. As we make our way around the floor, I keep my eyes locked on his face but use my peripheral vision to locate James watching us while conversing with a sandy haired man next to him. We manage to make our way closer just as the song draws to an end. As the rest of the guests clap, I see James coming towards us.

                "Mind if I cut in?" he asks while staring at me.

                I look at Owen and can see the hesitancy in his eyes. I lean up and give him a quick kiss on the cheek while asking "darling, could you get me another glass of champagne? I know I'll be parched after dancing."

                His hand tightens on my waist briefly before he responds. "Certainly, my dear." He hands me off to James and leaves the dance floor.

                "Finally I have you all to myself," James says and he moves in close as another waltz starts. He's holding me far more intimately than he should for a proper waltz but I just give him a brief laugh and stare up at his eyes, hoping to come off as coy. "That date of yours seems rather stiff. What are you doing with a guy like him?"

                Hiding my annoyance of his criticism of Owen, I respond. "Well, we actually only just met last week but he seems very nice. Although I am nervous about later tonight." I glance down and away, acting shy while secretly using the opportunity to survey the room. I see the gentleman that James was talking to earlier standing alone and watching us, while Owen is chatting with an older woman nearby. As I watch, I see him take a surreptitious look in my direction.

                James removes his hand from my waist for a moment to lift my chin up so I'm looking back at him. "What are you nervous about?"

                Remembering my old habit, I bite my lower lip between my teeth for a few seconds before mumbling "never mind, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. Too much champagne, I guess." I let out what hopefully sounds like a anxious giggle.

                "No, I insist. You can trust me, I won't share any secrets," he says while giving me a rakish grin.

                I hesitate briefly, chewing on my lip again. "It's just, well, he only booked one hotel room. I'm grateful to him for letting me tag along tonight but I'm worried that he'll expect...you know. And it's just that I've never, I mean, I don't have any experience," I ramble a bit before glancing at the floor at our gliding feet. He is actually quite a good dancer.

                He lets out a chuckle. "No experience? A beautiful girl like you? I don't believe it!"

                "I was quite sheltered growing up. Then, about a year ago, my parents were in a car accident and I lost them both. I haven't been interested in a relationship or even dating until recently."

                "I'm sorry to hear about your parents," he says as the song ends. "I have to say, though, that your innocence is quite charming." Rather than leading me over to Owen, he heads off in the opposite direction. At my questioning look, he gives me a wink. "Let's let your date catch up with his fellow stuffy club members, doll. I have a friend who would love to meet you." He grabs two flutes of champagne from a passing tray, handing me one as he takes me towards the blonde haired man. As we come to a stop, James introduces me to his friend.

"Casey, this is Tom Bennett, an old friend of mine. Tom, this exquisite young lady is Casey Dublin." Tom briefly shakes my hand and inclines his head at me. Other than appearing to be around the same age (I knew from their dossiers that James was 27 and Tom about to hit 30), they are complete opposites of each other. Tom has dark blue eyes under rimless glasses and a receding hair line in his blonde hair. He slouches a little with his hands in his pocket, accentuating the small gut that protrudes above his belt from behind his unbuttoned jacket.

                "Now, Casey, did I hear you telling George earlier that you're from Florida?" James asks, placing his hand on the small of my back.

                I smile up at him. "I only just recently moved there, actually. I grew up in Illinois, but, after my parents died, I decided a change in scenery was needed."

                "Do you have family down there?" Tom asks.

                I shake my head before responding. "No, I don't really have any family left now. I'm an only child and I never had much of a relationship with my grandparents. It's been a bit lonely, which is why I was so excited to meet Owen and get invited to this party! I've met so many interesting people and I can definitely see that South Carolina deserves its charming reputation." I allow my eyes to slide over to James as I say this and see his answering smirk.

                "Ah, there you are. I was wondering where you had disappeared off to," I hear as Owen comes up behind me, taking my hand and pulling me away from where James was still touching my back. I look up and see James and Owen giving each other hard stares. To break the tension, I take the opportunity to introduce Owen to Tom. After exchanging handshakes, Owen says "excuse me, gentlemen, but I'd like to take Miss Dublin for another turn on the dance floor." I allow him to lead me away, glancing back once at James and Tom. I see both of them staring at me intently.

                His grip on my hand is crushing as he takes me back out amongst the dancers. He hasn't looked at me yet and I can tell he's trying very hard to maintain his control, something that usually comes so easily for him. "Ease up a bit please," I whisper. He startles, immediately letting up on my hand.

                "My apologies. Are you alright?" he asks as we start to dance.

                "I'm fine, ready for this to be over."

                "You're not the only one," he says, before continuing quietly. "I'm starting to think Mr. Lee had it right all along."

                "What was that?"

                "Nothing you need worry about. I'm sorry, I know you are here to get more information about those two but I stayed away as long as I could. That Metcalfe character concerns me, even had I not known what you said about the investigation."

                "It's ok, I think it worked out for the best. I conveyed what I needed to and it's better to leave them left wanting more," I respond. I feel Owen tense again under my hand, unexpectedly, but he quickly relaxes again.

                We continue to dance through a few songs, then he leads me off the floor to speak to a couple more of his acquaintances. As the party begins to wind down and guests start leaving, I excuse myself to visit the restroom. Owen pauses in his conversation, giving me a questioning look. I give him a kiss on the cheek and he nods.

                I walk over and into the restrooms discreetly placed to the side of the room. Finishing my business inside the stall, I smile at the older woman who is drying her hands. I look into the mirror as I wash my own. After the other lady walks out, I glance around to ensure I'm alone. I touch up my lip gloss and then palm the small bug from my clutch. I take a calming breath before leaving the restroom. James is leaning against the wall outside. I had a feeling that this would happen.

                He straightens up when I come out, sauntering over with his hands in his pocket. "So, are you still anxious about tonight?" he asks, giving me a grin.

                I give a nervous nod and look down at my feet. He comes up and places his hands on either side of my waist. "If you're not ready, just tell him that," he says as he leans down and places a long kiss on my cheek. I take the opportunity to slide my hands up his chest and place the bug underneath the lapel on the right side of his jacket. He gives me a penetrating look as he pulls away. "If he doesn't want to take no for an answer, give me a call," he says while handing me a card with his number on it. In a small voice I tell him that I will as I stick the card in my clutch. He places his hand on my back and takes me over to where Owen is waiting with a glare.

                As James hands me off, he leans over and says "call me, doll, as soon as you get bored of this one. I'm sure I'll be hearing from you by tomorrow." He casts me a grin and a wink, then turns and walks away.

                Looking up at Owen, I see barely suppressed rage in his eyes and I know he's considering some sort of retaliation. I grab his hand and tug him towards the door. "Not worth it," I say. "Can we please get out of here?"

                "You're wrong," he replies. "It would definitely be worth it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 3K 16
Sang is a popular girl who is about to graduate. A terrible accident changes her life forever. She meets 9 beautiful guys who help her through everyt...
351K 16.5K 60
{Completed} A lost soul in a sea of anguish and confusion, Sang floats alone, and the treacherous waters around her are starting to consume her; she'...
90.9K 4.4K 27
A FANFICTION OF CL STONE'S ACADEMY SERIES. Sang Sorenson was crazy. After all it was crazy to claim to see people who weren't there, to see places t...
135K 6.4K 36
After making a tough and final decision to leave home where family clearly didn't want her, Sang meets Phil and is joined into the academy very quick...