Ace of Spades βœ…

By Ferdeausee_

Copyright Β© 2023. All Rights Reserved. She exudes chaos, drawing it in like a moth to a flame. Everywhere sh... More

Author's Note + Aesthetics + Copyright
1; Cypher.
2; Hold the applause.
3; Things she never said.
4; Through the eyes of a child.
5; I was bored.
6; Mount Everest ain't got shit on me.
7; Little Miss Chaebol.
8; Beer, and bruised egos.
9; Ciao. Te Amo.
10; It's a siblings thing.
11; Black Diamond.
12; You Don't Know What It's Like.
13; You Follow the Rules. I make them.
14; With, or without you.
15; Baggage from the past.
16; Hate At First.
17; A sudden twist.
18; Who is she really?
19; You should see me in a crown.
20; Don't talk to me.
21; Don't do that.
23; That's Not How this Works.
24; Tears of Gold.
25; Denial is a river in Egypt.
26; Something called love.
27; Partners for life.
28; My plea to you.
29; Wicked.
30; Broken Hearts & Shattered Souls.
31; Too good to be true.
32; Power Over Me.
33; Love, a soul that cares.
34; Fall in love alone.
35; Finale: De Una Vez.
Final Author's Note

22; Love to hate you.

543 133 27
By Ferdeausee_

Four Years Ago.

ATBUTH, Bauchi State.

Holding a bottle of water in his hand, Aadil made his way to the VIP room he had gotten for Inaya the day before. It was a little over seven in the morning, and the hospital is yet to be bustling with people much to his relief.

He had left earlier after subh when Inaya went back to sleep after praying. He took that as the chance to go home and take a shower, convinced that nothing would happen to her at the moment.

He had spent the night with her, or more like seated at the far corner of the room with so little sleep. He probably only slept for like an hour as much as he can recall; before he was wide awake again and keeping watch as if someone would show up and harm her again.

Safe to say, he was paranoid. He couldn't get the image of her fainted figure on the ground, or the words she had said to him before she fell asleep out of his mind. He didn't want to let it get to him; hence why he tried so hard to convince himself that he only stayed with her because she has no one.

And after being told that she was poisoned, it was clear someone was after her life. Why wasn't he surprised? Even though he hadn't gone through her information then, he heard about her reputation.

It was only certified when he decided to check the background check of hers sent to his email instead of wasting the night away in silence like that. He was supposed to do that long before anyways, but because he was occupied with something personal, he couldn't.

Time seemed to have went by pretty quickly as he went through the information there. And that included the information was found regarding her connection with Rasheed. It seemed there truly was more than just a former love interest.

Now that he had seen, and read it all; he couldn't help but wish he was the one that actually sent the man to the hospital. Maybe breaking a few actual bones would relieve him...or maybe even more than that.

Nonetheless, it was safe to say, he saw her as less of a monster then—but he still didn't want to let go of his rope of hatred. He held onto it, clung onto it like it was his salvation; as if hating Inaya Sa'id is the only thing that will keep him sane.

He was still determined to draw a line between them before she could get any more ideas; the last thing he wanted to do was get entangled with her even more than he already is. With that thought in mind, he reached her room and pushed the door softly; so as to not interrupt her sleep. Once he has stepped foot in the room, his gaze fell on a sight he wasn't expecting; but wasn't surprised by.

Suspiring under his breath, he pushed the door close and then traipsed further into the room, only stopping once within earshot. His eyes gave the woman standing amidst the room a onceover, before arching a brow slightly. "I see you aren't dead yet." He commented dryly, turning around and walking to an empty chair there, settling on it.

Inaya's lips stretched into a fake smile; her eyes squinting because of it. "That upsets you, doesn't it?" With the way she stood in her uniform—looking all collected, one wouldn't believe she was the one that fainted the night before and was brought to the hospital. She had clearly already taken a shower and was looking refreshed.

"You bet." He didn't bother to deny it.

She rolled her eyes, shaking her head in the process. "Why do I even bother with you?" She mumbled under her breath, before turning around to face him again just in time he popped the water bottle open. "Wasn't that for me?" She inquired.

He nodded, "It was. But, not anymore." Taking the cap off, he then added. "I see you can function just well so get it yourself." With that said, he tilted his head up and brought the bottle to his lips—taking gulps from it.

Inaya swallowed thickly, watching as he downed the cold liquid—her throat suddenly parched. Damn it, she was actually thirsty and hoping he'd bring a water with him. But, here he is, downing it all without a single care about her; who is the patient after all.

"You know, that's not very gentlemanly." She commented, when he brought the bottle down and placed the cap right where it belongs. He had already taken about half the bottle already.

"As if I care." He muttered, reaching out to drop the bottle on the nearest coffee table. Once he'd done that, he leaned back and intertwined his hands, before leaning back and focusing his attention on her. His eyes narrowed slightly, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

She smiled softly, shaking her head in the process. Blowing out a small breath, she made her way towards him before settling on the chair opposite him; crossing her legs in the process with her shoulders squared out of habit. "Nothing. Just need to let you know that acting like an asshole won't make me like you any less."

His eyes squinted even more if that was possible. "What?" He thought she only rambled such nonsense last night because she was sedated, and that she would forget all about it.

Seems not.

Her smile widened, loving his reaction though he tried to keep his expression blank. She finds it cute how he tries so hard to keep his emotions to himself, really. "I told you last night, didn't I? You're my type."

"Are you still high on some drug or something?"

"I'm high on liking you."

"You need to get your brain checked, really." He was actually being serious, because he was a hundred percent certain something has to be wrong with her up there. His brows drew in, before he leaned forward a bit. "Are you feeling dizzy or something? It should be the side effect of the drug. Wait, let me get a doctor--"

"You see, the more you act like that, the more I like you." She cut him off, just as he made a move to get up.

He halted, slowly sinking back in his seat as he gave her a look that screamed he truly believes there's something wrong with her. "You don't know what you're saying."

"I do. I'm saying I like you." She stated casually, with a slight shrug as if what she said is nothing big.

He kept silent for a while, gauging her reaction to see whether there's any more abnormality he will take note of to tell the doctor when he arrives. When he spots nothing, he started to accept the possibility of her being serious.

Only one thing came to his mind then though.

"Why?"

Her smile widened, almost in a grin. "Because you're handsome." That sounded like enough reason for her. "I like handsome men; and you just tick all the boxes in my looks department."

"You need deliverance." Reaching his hand out, he pinched the space between his brows obviously not amused in the slightest. Letting out a soft sigh, he found himself saying, "You better squash whatever nonsensical thought you have before we returned to the division. I don't want to have any more association with you more than I already do."

"Did I just get rejected?"

"You never had a chance to begin with. Also, why am I even having this conversation with you right now?" He was supposed to draw a line between them, but here he was chatting away with her.

No, he needs to get back in character. He has to.

So, he yawed his expression grave; no longer willing to have this ridiculous conversation with her. Before she could spurt out any more stupid words, he was quick to inquire. "Can you remember what happened to you yesterday?"

"You mean me passing out, and having you take care of me? Of course I can never forget it." Her face sported a wide grin. "I'll be sure to tell our grandkids the story as well. It's so novel worthy. We might even have a grandchild that will write a book about us--"

"What happened before you came to meet me?" He chirped in, before she could rant off further. Is this the Inaya Sa'id people kept speaking highly of? She sounds like a teenager having her first crush to him. "Did you take anything odd, or drink something weird?"

She pressed her lips together, the smile disappearing as she remembered what actually brought her to the hospital. It's not her fault she had forgot about it when he made an appearance. "Oh, that?" She racked her brain in an attempt to remember something. "I barely eat anything so all I had was water if I'm not mistaken."

"That's it?" She couldn't have gotten poisoned through the water, right? "You didn't take anything prior to that? Even before you got to work?" There has to be a slip off somewhere for someone to get the opportunity to do that.

Perhaps she had something and she forgot of it?

"No...I don't think so. All I had yesterday was my supplements and water." She sounded so certain because she was. Her routine has pretty much always been the same, and the day before wasn't any different. As if remembering something, her eyes perked up to meet his. "Wait, I ended up here just because I was poisoned?"

"Why do you make it sound like that?" He narrowed his eyes at her suspiciously.

"Like what?"

"Like it's no big deal." Her life was threatened; how could she be so calm? It wasn't his life that was on the line but he is already upset on her behalf.

He doesn't want to imagine how it'll be if it was actually his life on the line. God knows hell will break loose.

"Oh, that?" She truly doesn't sound, or seem bothered in the slightest. Her expression was laid back. She simply shrugged and waved it off. "Trust me, I've been in worst situations. And, not because of the military." She slipped her hand into her pocket to pull out her phone. "Stuff like this happen more often than one can imagine. It's nothing new."

"Your life was put on the line before?" He repeated, as if asking if she can hear herself. How can she be so nonchalant about this?

She looked up, and offered him a teasing smile. "Are you worried about me, Lieutenant?" When he gave her a blank look, she chuckled and then added. "Your life gets threatened when you have as much enemies as I do, and trust me, I have quite a lot." The last part came out in a low voice, though amusement still filled it to the brim.

Aadil stared at her baffled. Inaya certainly is a whole other breed because who smiles after a near death experience? And did she state having enemies like it's something to be proud of?

She speaks of it like it's some medals that she proudly wears. The medals of near death experience for reasons only she knows of.

"—Anyways, don't worry about the poison thing. I'll look into the security cameras and see what went wrong."

He shook his head, refusing to comment further on her near death reactions. "No can do. You aren't qualified to check it. Only a few people are allowed to but I'm sure I can figure something out." He had looked into it before returning, but there's this stupid rule he can't overrule.

Only the higher-ups can look into security cameras, no doubt to hide the ominous things that happen in the division from going out. Surprisingly, there are quite a lot. The place is more rotten than it seems on the outside. Certain things are just better left unsaid.

Inaya chuckled; a knowing look taking over her features. "Don't bother. I have my ways." The confidence in her tone was hard to miss. It was almost as if she was certain that she will get in without an iota of doubt.

He arched a brow, "You'll use your connections?" He wasn't certain how to feel regarding it. There was a lot about it on the background check. However, he's certain there are more he doesn't know of.

How this woman still walks around freely baffles him.

She shook her head, her lips stretched into a permanent grin as she typed away on her phone. "No, I'm certain I can crack into it or something." She then looked up, and offered him a mischievous grin. "You see; I happen to know a thing or two about computers."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 2.8K 63
She breathes fire πŸ”₯ He breathes fireπŸ”₯ The word 'detest' isn't enough to describe what these two have for each other. Some say respect is reciproc...
106K 18.3K 54
CopyrightΒ© 2020. All rights reserved. Completed! ~β€’BOOK 2 IN THE ROYAL SERIESβ€’~ Perhaps it was the fact that despite the inner turmoil she has, some...
195K 10.7K 94
⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ This story contains mature and explicit content. Reader's discretion is advised. ~~~~~~~~ "Father!!!" Asha woke up with her eyes wide a...
36.3K 8.5K 58
"Sarauniya!" I said almost loudly but not enough for my friend Bilal to hear, "who is she?" "Aaliyah. She's the late Alhaji Mujib's daughter. " Bila...