Ace of Spades ✅

Ferdeausee_ által

Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved. She exudes chaos, drawing it in like a moth to a flame. Everywhere sh... Több

Author's Note + Aesthetics + Copyright
1; Cypher.
2; Hold the applause.
3; Things she never said.
4; Through the eyes of a child.
5; I was bored.
6; Mount Everest ain't got shit on me.
7; Little Miss Chaebol.
8; Beer, and bruised egos.
9; Ciao. Te Amo.
10; It's a siblings thing.
11; Black Diamond.
12; You Don't Know What It's Like.
13; You Follow the Rules. I make them.
14; With, or without you.
15; Baggage from the past.
16; Hate At First.
17; A sudden twist.
18; Who is she really?
20; Don't talk to me.
21; Don't do that.
22; Love to hate you.
23; That's Not How this Works.
24; Tears of Gold.
25; Denial is a river in Egypt.
26; Something called love.
27; Partners for life.
28; My plea to you.
29; Wicked.
30; Broken Hearts & Shattered Souls.
31; Too good to be true.
32; Power Over Me.
33; Love, a soul that cares.
34; Fall in love alone.
35; Finale: De Una Vez.
Final Author's Note

19; You should see me in a crown.

519 135 20
Ferdeausee_ által

Four Years Ago.

Baita Cantonment, Bauchi State.

"Captain Inaya Sa'id reporting for duty, Sir!"

A few looks were exchanged between the three men seated in the Colonel's office where she is reporting for the duty the next day. Unlike how she was dressed the day before, this time around she was dressed for the role and looking like it in her number six dress.

Snug khaki uniform covered her body from head to the toe. Boots that covered the army green socks she had on were pulled upwards, tucking the lower part of her trousers. Her name was displayed across the name badge on her shirt, and her rank insignia proudly on her shoulder. Her hair was pulled back into a tight, seemingly perfect low bun and she sported a beret to complete the look.

The Colonel, and head of Baita Cantonment offered her a reluctant curt nod—not bothering to hide his dislike towards her. It was the same with the Lieutenant Colonel as well as the Major, seated across each other in the adequately spaced office.

Inaya dropped her hand by the side, before crossing them behind her and assuming a stance. His facial expression was blank, giving no hint of how she was actually feeling in that exact moment. Her eyes though were fixed up ahead, waiting for instructions from her superiors.

She could've chosen to just go about her job, but she needs to report to them first because that's how it is. Besides, it's too early for her to choose violence. Not to mention, the military camp isn't her playground.

"Captain...Inaya," This time around, it was the Lieutenant Colonel that spoke up, shifting in his seat and leaning back. His gaze wasn't on her rather, but rather fixed in the opposite direction. "So, you decide to report for duty only now?" He mocked, his gaze still never sparing a glance. "You were in the division yesterday as well, weren't you?"

"Yes, Sir."

"So, why are you only reporting for duty now?"

"Because I was here as a civilian yesterday." She stated, her tone calm, and filled to the brim with unrivaled and unintimidated confidence. She knew what sort of game he was playing at, which they are all playing at. Luckily, she knows how to defend herself well enough. "My official duty starts today. So, I wasn't required to report for duty yesterday."

The man hummed, though his tone showed he had little interest in her explanation. He already knew that, they all do. However, they are intentionally looking for loopholes to nitpick. "And why were you here yesterday?"

"That's a personal issue." She replied without hesitating even for a split second. "I don't owe you an explanation for what I do in my free time as a civilian."

Her answer had the man shifting his glare to her for the first time. He couldn't believe she just said that to him, so nonchalantly as well. Is this woman forgetting where she is? How dare she speak to her superior in the military like that? Does she think they are there to play?

"What did you just say?" He questioned slowly, his tone dropping in a threatening way. It was him daring her to repeat her words.

Inaya kept her gaze fixed in that exact same position, her stance never wavering even for a split second—all product of years' worth of training. She has been in the military for long enough, she basically grew up there in a way. Something as simple as standing in the exact position, with a composed stance isn't something big to her.

She blinked slickly, her composure still intact. His threat, it didn't make her falter even in the slightest. Parting her lips, she voiced out her answer. "I said, I don't owe you an explanation for what I do in my free time as a civilian." She repeated calmly, before flicking her gaze to meet his for the first time. "I don't see anyone asking you what you do in your free time, in uniform too."

"Who do you think you are talking to, young lady?" He was clearly irked. Somehow, in just under five minutes of meeting her, she has managed to get under his skin. He then scoffed, a look of distaste taking over his features. "This is how all you women are; you think you can act however you want. I don't care who you think you are where you came from, but let me remind you, you aren't a civilian in this moment. You are a military officer, which makes you our inferior. You are worth nothing here."

"It's Captain Sa'id," She corrected, her expression morphing grim with not even an iota of lark coupled along with it. "And I may be your subordinate, but I'd appreciate it if you acquaint me even the slightest bit of respect." At this point, she's well aware her words will land her in a huge mess, but she came prepared. "After all," She added, "You said it yourself. I'm not a civilian which makes me more than just a woman, don't you think?"

The three men stared at her in disbelief, with Lieutenant Colonel as well as the Major sporting the same baffled, but irked expression. The Colonel did pretty good when hiding his reaction, though it was obvious from the curl of his hand by the side that he was irritated as well.

The Major scoffed, staring at her as if he was finding her guts appalling, and he was. "You truly are just as daring as they say." They've heard of her story, or at least of how she was where she came from.

Inaya has a reputation of not letting anyone tramp on her, superior wise. She is a good subordinate, and will take whatever harsh treatment the military gives except disrespect. For some reason, even with that attitude, she never gets a harsh punishment from the superiors for reasons that remained unknown. She even has a name back there.

"—Chaos." Major added, the corner of his lips curling slightly—still taken aback by her audacity. "You truly deserve that name."

Inaya's shoulders squared even more if that was possible, recoiling back her stern expression into a light one. Her eyes flicked to the Major, her lips slanting into a ghost smile. "I'll take that as a compliment, thank you."

The Major could only scoff and look away, taking the moment to gather his thoughts. They all gathered to assess her to whether she truly is as bad as they say. Some of their friends from the division she was even warned them to tread carefully around her though they never gave a reason. They simply said, she's not as innocent as she looks.

Of course, they didn't believe them. In their eyes, they could set her straight. She just needs to be treated accordingly, to be reminded of where she is. A civilian could get away with that act, but not her.

"You specifically asked to be transferred here," The Colonel spoke up, breaking the silence that reigned following her earlier statement. He had been calculating her, and still is unlike the two other men that easily allowed her to get under their skin. "why is that?"

Inaya pressed her lips together, pretending to think before she vocalized her answer. "I don't have a specific reason." She stated. "I was just bored where I was. Nothing is enticing anymore."

"I want the real reason." He prodded, not buying that statement of hers. Unlike the other two, he actually took the warning seriously. She has a serious reputation, a questionable one which shows she will be nothing but a pain to them if she stays there. "Why did you asked to be transferred here?"

She blinked, and dared shifted her gaze to meet the man's. "That is my real reason." She answered, her eyes never leaving his. "I needed a change of environment and this seems to be the right place for me."

His blank expression remained the same throughout, his eyes pinned on hers. He was trying, ferociously trying to unveil the mystery that's Inaya Sa'id. He begs to differ that she was simply there for a change of environment. Do they look stupid to her or something? He let her off the hook that one time, deciding to not pry for answers directly because it's clear he won't get any.

Instead, he decided to ask something instead. "You claim you were here as a civilian yesterday..." He started, drumming his fingers on the armrest slowly. "...and yet you assaulted a soldier, one of which now is under your supervision. Do you know the consequence of doing that?"

"A soldier, a Second Lieutenant, got beaten up by a civilian on military grounds. Isn't that something he should be ashamed of rather?" She questioned instead.

"I asked you a question." He ignored her question, his tone stern. "Don't make me repeat myself."

She blinked, holding back the part of her that wants to laugh at the face he's pulling. He was trying to claim his position as her superior, and try to intimidate her. If a part of her didn't take her role as a soldier seriously, she would've taken the risk to irk him. But, she didn't.

So, she yawed her expression grim before answering. "As a civilian, I assaulted a soldier on military grounds. Yes, I know the consequence and I'm ready to accept it." They should do their worse, she would take it.

The Colonel didn't reply instantly. He took his sweet time to hold onto the silence and painstakingly dragged it to add tension to the room, before he decided to speak. "We will decide your punishment. For now, you are to not leave the division, and not take on any role."

They were trying to take away the power she has, before she could even fully step into the role. It's a smart decision, clipping off her wings before she could fly and cause them trouble that is.

"But, Sir." She started, "You didn't ask what my reason is."

"Nothing justifies your action." He refuses to falter in the slightest bit. "And I'm not interested in your reason. You dug your grave, now lay in it."

She nodded slowly, her lips slanting upwards into a smile much to their astonishment. Her gaze shifted from the Major, to the Lieutenant Colonel, and lastly, the Colonel whom she pinned her gaze on. "You're right, Sir. Nothing justifies one breaking the rules." Something about her tone showed she is far from done. Just like he did earlier on, she didn't say anything for the next few seconds, allowing the tension to brim to its peak. "I guess you shouldn't bother with an explanation to the higher-ups as well."

"What nonsense are you spewing now?" Lieutenant Colonel asked, seemingly on the edge. The minute she held up that creepy smile, he had a feeling whatever she will say won't end in their favor.

"Your secret funds, of course." She stated nonchalantly, her gaze now on the man. "The money you three covet from which you get to handle the division. You know, the one that will land you in military court amongst many others." Her smile never wavered.

Not even when the man's eyes widened, as well as the Major's as they exchanged panicked looks. They didn't even try to hide it, they couldn't. How could they when their secret was laid bare just like that, as if it's nothing.

The Major was the first to recover, and was quick to blink repeatedly and try to gain his composure. "You clearly have no respect for your superiors." He tried to blab, into recovering their shattered image. "How dare you try to slander us like this?"

"I knew you'd say that." She lifted her head, her eyes falling on the wall clock. Her smile then widened slightly, before her eyes met theirs again. "You should receive the message about...right now."

Immediately she said, three pings came from their respective phones as if she has planned it, and she did because she just admitted it. The two were quick to thrust their phones out to see what it was that came in.

However, the minute their gazes fell on the message sent to them—a clear, and detailed evidence of their corruption, they felt as though ice water had been dumped on them. The only one that hadn't moved an inch, or reacted was the Colonel, who has his steel, icy cold gaze pinned on her. How she managed to get the evidence, and their contacts to even send that was beyond them. But, she has them in a chokehold. A fatal one.

"I could send this to the higher-ups, and you know what will follow. I don't need to elaborate." Realizing she has them right where she wants, she blew out a small breath and aligned her gaze with the Colonel this time around. "You dug your grave, you should lay in it, don't you think?" She threw his words right back at him.

It was then they realized why they were warned of her, and how she manages to get out of every issues she gets involved in. She blackmails people, she holds their weakness against them to the point they have no choice but to cave in.

"I won't send it though, because I believe we can bury whatever issues we have as well as my case, right? We are all colleagues after all." She doesn't need a response; she could already tell which decision they will make. "That being said, I hope we get along, Sir." She offered them a salute, her smile never faltering.

Her actions, it sent chills down their spines as much as they would hate to admit it. They could see the woman people warned them of right there; the woman capable of making people bend to her will all the while holding up a smile.

And so, they brew their own chaos.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

24K 3.5K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
36.3K 8.5K 58
"Sarauniya!" I said almost loudly but not enough for my friend Bilal to hear, "who is she?" "Aaliyah. She's the late Alhaji Mujib's daughter. " Bila...
7.9K 1.1K 90
A coming of love story which begins with hatred . Yazid a handsome, cruel and chilling 18 year old son of a multi billionaire was very upset abo...
23.9K 4.6K 39
"There's always light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to hold onto even the flimsiest rays of hope." _Aishatuh M Aisha Humaira, an ardent and...