Burning Love [ATLAB Fanfic]

By Hime_chan10

This Legend revolves around two adolescents, Kairi and Zuko, who have contrasting beliefs and customs. Unexpe... More

Ch. 1 The Preface
Ch. 3 My name is Aang
Ch. 4 Appa the Flying Bison
Ch. 5 Welcome to the Southern Water Tribe
Ch. 6 Who are you?
Ch. 7 Don't let her escape!
Ch. 8 Why are you being so nice to me?
Ch. 9 I have a message for you
Ch. 10 Where's your sister?
Ch. 11 Leaving the Southern Water Tribe
Ch. 12 Do you trust me?
Ch. 13 The Mysterious Air Temple
Ch. 14 Making a new friend

Ch. 2 The Boy in the Iceberg

375 40 13
By Hime_chan10

It has been six years since the Fire Nation destroyed the Southern Water Tribe, and many lives were lost, including Kairi's Mother, Kya. Kairi was able to recover from her injury. However, a burning scar on her right leg reminded her of what had happened that horrific day.

Even though Kairi was scared that she couldn't walk properly because of her injury, she could walk normally with sheer determination and encouraging help from Kanna, Hakoda, and Sokka.

After burying those who lost their lives that day, Hakoda, Bato, and all the men rebuilt the Village with the women and children helping them by serving them food.

Despite the Southern Water Tribe losing its former beauty, everyone was able to make their homes liveable again.

Once the tension had left, with Hakoda and Kanna's guidance, Kairi and Katara could water bend peacefully. And with Kanna's careful eye, Kairi could air bend in secret.

Sadly, Kairi, Sokka, and Katara had to watch Hakoda and the men of their Tribe leave home to fight alongside the Earth Kingdom and the Northern Water Tribe to defeat the Fire Nation and stop this Hundred-Year War that has been occurring since Avatar Roku's time.

Sokka, at age fourteen, wanted to help Hakoda and the men fight in this war. But, Hakoda was against it, telling his eldest son that he needed someone to look after the Southern Water Tribe while he was away.

Before Hakoda left, a fourteen-year-old Kairi told her father that she promised to help Sokka look after the Southern Water Tribe, which made him proud.

Hakoda and Kairi shared a hug. She then watched him get on the boat with Bato and other men of their Tribe and saw the ship sail away.

It is a beautiful morning at the Southern Water Tribe. A sixteen-year-old Kairi stood on the spot where she last saw Hakoda and the men of their Tribe. Her right hand lightly rubs the necklace that used to belong to her Mother.

" Kairi!" A masculine voice grabbed Kairi's attention.

Kairi turned around, and her blue-grey eyes blinked when she saw her older twin brother, sixteen-year-old Sokka, approach her.

" Hey, Sokka. What's up?" Kairi smiled.

" Katara and I are going fishing. Want to come?" Sokka asked.

Kairi raised an eyebrow, which caused Sokka to look at her with a confused expression.

" What?" Sokka raised an eyebrow.

" I'm surprised that Katara is willing to go fishing with you. You know she finds fishing boring," Kairi responded.

" Gran Gran insisted. She also told me to come get you so you can tag along with us," Sokka smiled.

" Sure. I got nothing to do since I had already finished my daily chores," Kairi smiled.

" Great! Let's go. I left Katara with the canoe and fishing supplies," Sokka turns and begins to walk with Kairi following him.

On their way to Katara, Kairi looked at the sky, which Sokka noticed.

" What's on your mind?" Sokka asked.

" Just thinking about Dad. He was somewhere in the Earth Kingdom in the last letter he wrote to us. But that was like a year ago," Kairi murmured.

" The Earth Kingdom is huge, from what Uncle Bato told me. So, Dad and he and the others must be so busy helping the Earth Kingdom that they never have the time to send us a letter," Sokka grabs Kairi's hand and lightly squeezes it.

Kairi nodded.

Kairi looked forward and saw fourteen-year-old Katara sitting on the boat.

Katara heard footsteps to her right and looked to see Kairi and Sokka walking toward her.

" What is she doing here? Wasn't I enough?" Katara asked with a raised eyebrow.

Kairi annoyingly rolled her blue-grey eyes.

Since Kya died, Katara and Kairi's relationship became strained because Katara blamed her for what happened to their Mother.

" Three is better than two, Katara," Sokka responded while helping Kairi onto the canoe. " And besides, I invited her," He smiled.

" As they say, the more fish, the better," Kairi sits down.

Katara pouts, feeling annoyed.

Sokka unties the rope from the rock, pushes the canoe onto the water, and gets on.

Several minutes later, the canoe was deep in the South Pole. The wooden basket near Kairi's feet had lots of fish thanks to Sokka's spearing and the sisters' water bubbles.

On their way back to the Southern Water Tribe, Sokka looked at the water for more fish. His right hand tightly grasped the spear, looking determined to get a fish.

" Just two more fish! These fishes are not getting away from me," Sokka firmly speaks.

Kairi takes off her glove and puts her right hand in the water. She sensed movement, letting her know that something was heading in their direction. She pulls her hand out and looks at Sokka.

" Something is heading our way, Sokka. Be on your guard," Kairi speaks.

" Got it!" Sokka nodded.

Katara looked at the water boredly. Her blue eyes blinked when she saw a massive shadowy movement in the water. She smiled, thinking it was a big fish.

' If I get this big fish, it can last us for weeks,' Katara internally speaks.

Katara glanced at Kairi, seeing her older sister distracted by Sokka, who was looking for a way to get the fish. She stands up, removes her left glove, and looks back at the water.

' Okay. Getting this big fish will take lots of concentration,' Katara internally speaks.

Katara stretches her arm out toward the massive shadowy movement, taking a deep breath. Her eyebrows furrowed, looking determined to get her big catch. She starts making a wavy motion with her wrist, moving her hand up and down.

Kairi looked away from Sokka and turned her gaze to Katara.

' What is she doing?' Kairi internally asked. She leans to the left and sees the massive shadowy movement approaching them. Her blue-grey eyes widened when she saw a black fin of a Killer Whale.

" Katara! What are you doing?" Kairi shouts, grabbing Sokka's attention.

Katara lost her concentration, causing the currents to stop moving. She opens her mouth to shout but gets cut off by the Killer Whale bumping against their canoe, causing Sokka to fall off.

" Ahh!" Sokka screams, creating a splash and grabbing his sisters' attention.

" Sokka!" Kairi and Katara shouts.

Kairi stood and saw the Killer Whale doing a U-turn and swimming back toward them to get to Sokka. Katara begins to panic when she realizes what she has done.

" What do we do?!" Katara shouts, looking scared.

" One! Stop shouting. Two. Can you relax? That beast will smell your fear. And three. Stay put. I'll get Sokka," Kairi jumps and dives into the water.

Katara looked at the water with mixed emotions.

Sokka began to freak out when he saw the Killer Whale heading in his direction.

' I am going to die!' Sokka internally shouts.

Kairi swims between the Killer Whale and Sokka. She turned her head back to Sokka and motioned him to get to the canoe.

Sokka frantically swims to the canoe.

Kairi turns her gaze to the Killer Whale. Her blue-grey eyes intently stared at the massive beast. She pulled her arms back and used all her strength to push her arms forward, causing an enormous wave to head in the sea creature's direction.

The enormous wave hit the Killer Whale, causing the massive beast to get slammed against an iceberg.

The Killer Whale shook its head and swam away, leaving Kairi and the canoe with her siblings alone.

Kairi felt relieved and began to swim toward the canoe, unaware of the destruction she had created.

Katara grabbed Sokka's hand and helped him onto the canoe. She felt the enormous wave underneath the canoe, causing the canoe to sway, but the siblings stayed put.

" Kairi! Get back up!" Sokka shouts. " Gran Gran and Dad will kill me if something were to happen to you," He looks at the water frantically.

Kairi pokes her head and looks at Sokka and Katara.

Sokka grabbed Kairi's hand and used his strength to pull her onto the canoe.

" Are you okay?" Sokka asked, looking at Kairi worryingly.

" I'm fine," Kairi reassured.

Kairi turns her gaze to Katara and looks at her sternly.

" What were you thinking?" Kairi shouts.

" I was trying to get a bigger catch that can last us for weeks," Katara responded.

" That was a Killer Whale! And you aren't an advanced Water Bender. You couldn't pick that beast up," Kairi scolded.

Katara's hands tightened into fists, looking at Kairi angrily. She didn't like that her older sister was scolding her.

" Because of your immature actions, you could have gotten Sokka killed!" Kairi snapped.

" That's it!" Katara shouts, causing Sokka and Kairi to look at her. " I had enough of you scolding me!" She stands and begins to raise her hands up and down angrily.

Kairi and Sokka felt the canoe move, letting them know Katara is water bending out of anger.

" You are not Gran Gran or Mom! You have no right to shout at me!" Katara brings her hands up to her head and swings them back down and behind her in her rage.

The movement created a medium wave of water from under the canoe to the nearby iceberg that the Killer Whale got hit, which began cracking.

" Katara," Sokka warily stared at Katara.

Kairi silently stared at Katara.

" I hate that you always tell me what to do!" Katara's hands raised back to her head.

" You are not the boss of me!" Katara swings her arms back down again, creating an enormous wave that hits the nearby iceberg, and the crack reaches the top.

" I hate that I am related to you! And I wish you were not my sister!" Katara screams.

Katara swings her hands back forcefully once again, and her unconscious water-bending waves directly into the towering iceberg in front of her.

A loud cracking sound grabs Kairi and Sokka's attention. The two siblings turned around, and their eyes widened when they saw the iceberg begin to fall. Once the ice hit the water, it created an enormous wave that headed in their direction.

" Incoming! Sokka, hold onto me!" Kairi shouts.

Sokka hugs Kairi knowing that his twin would protect him since she can water bend.

Katara realized what she had done, and her blue eyes widened in horror.

The enormous wave engulfs the canoe, causing the three siblings and their fish to fall into the water.

Kairi looked to her right and saw that Sokka was clinging to her. She looked down, and her blue-grey eyes widened when she saw something rising in their direction. She looked at her surroundings and saw that Katara was unconscious.

' Shit! Shit! Shit!' Kairi internally shouts. She held Sokka close while swimming towards Katara. She pulls her younger sister close to her and felt water surround her.

The water pressure surrounding Kairi shoots her and the siblings out of the ocean and onto the snowy ground.

Kairi lets go of her siblings, and she begins to cough. " Ugh," She groans, feeling immense pain all over her body.

Kairi's blue-grey eyes blinked when she saw glowing circular ice before her.

' What is that?' Kairi internally speaks before fainting out of exhaustion.

Sokka and Katara woke up and gasped in fright. They sat up and looked at their surroundings, seeing Kairi unconscious on the snowy ground and a mysterious glowing circular ice in front of them.

" Kairi!" Sokka shouted while Katara looked at the mysterious glowing circular ice with a curious gaze.

" Kairi! Wake up! Please, don't be dead!" Sokka gently laid his head on Kairi's chest, and he sighed in relief when he heard a heartbeat, letting him know that his twin was alive.

" What is that?" Katara asked, causing Sokka to look at her.

" What is what?" Sokka asked.

" That!" Katara points to the mysterious glowing circular ice.

" I don't know, and I don't care! We need to get out of here and get Kairi checked out," Sokka firmly speaks.

Katara's blue eyes narrowed, staring intently at the mysterious glowing circular ice. Her eyes widened when she saw a figure of a boy her age inside. She gasped when she saw the boy opening his eyes.

" Sokka! He's alive! We have to help!" Katara shouts.

Sokka warily stared at the mysterious boy inside the ice. Wanting to protect his sisters, he was about to grab his wooden club from its sheath on his back, but his blue eyes widened when he saw Katara take his weapon.

" Katara!" Sokka shouts.

The commotion woke Kairi, and her blue-grey eyes blinked when she saw Sokka looking at something.

" Sokka?" Kairi's voice cracked, grabbing Sokka's attention.

" Kairi! You're okay!" Sokka hugged Kairi tightly.

Unbeknownst to the twins, Katara ran towards the mysterious glowing circular ice and started hitting it with the wooden club to free the boy inside.

Kairi hugged Sokka, and she looked forward, seeing Katara hitting the mysterious glowing circular ice with the wooden club.

" What is she doing?" Kairi softly asked.

Sokka turned his head, and his blue eyes widened when he saw the mysterious glowing circular ice break, causing air to come out, and it hit Katara, making her fly in their direction.

" Katara!" Sokka and Kairi shouts.

Sokka lets go of Kairi and runs towards Katara with his arms out, wanting to catch her and cushion her fall.

Kairi watched Katara fall on Sokka, and her siblings fell onto the snowy ground. She looked forward and immediately covered her blue-grey eyes when she saw a beam of light bursts from the core of the iceberg and rocket into the sky.

Somewhere in the South Pole, a Fire Nation ship was sailing in the water. A sixteen-year-old male with black hair in a ponytail, golden-colored eyes, and a burned scar on the right side of his face, wearing a Fire Nation military uniform named Zuko, stands on the deck, gazing at the light with mixed emotions.

' Could it be?' Zuko internally asked.

" Finally!" Zuko shouts, grabbing the attention of a fifty-year-old male named Iroh, drinking tea peacefully.

Zuko turns around and looks at Iroh. " Uncle! Do you realize what this means?" He asked.

Iroh puts his tea down and looks at Zuko. " I won't get to finish my tea?" He responded.

Zuko annoyingly rolled his golden eyes. He turns around and looks back to face the light.

" It means my search is about to end," Zuko smirks.

Iroh sighed uninterestedly and continued to take a sip of his tea.

" That light came from a powerful source," Zuko stared intently at the light. " It has to be him!" He turns around to look at Iroh.

Iroh looked at the light with skepticism. " Or it could be a celestial light. It is common when being in the North or South Pole," He remarked.

Zuko's golden eyes narrowed.

" Prince Zuko. We've been down this road before," Iroh looks at Zuko. " I don't want you to get too excited over nothing," He said.

" Why don't you sit and enjoy calming Jasmine tea?" Iroh asked while grabbing a teapot and holding it to Zuko.

Zuko shakes his head. " I don't need any stupid calming tea!" He shouts and turns to stare at the light. " I need to capture the Avatar!" He firmly speaks, looking determined.

" Helmsman! Head a course for the light!" Zuko points at the light, feeling the ship sailing fast.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.6K 1.3K 14
When Zuko falls ill with a deadly spirit fever Katara learns her healing abilities are the only remedy for his illness. While spending time together...
1.4K 78 3
A boy who had lost his memory but had to sacrificed everything and everyone dear to him must embark on a journey that will change the state of the wo...
25.1K 587 14
In this story you are the best friend of Avatar Aang, you're not a bender but you still try and protect the one you love. The day he ran away you wen...
19.8K 768 17
Lin begins to explore her past and discovers what her future could hold... KyaLinLin