RED QUEEN | DAEMON TARGARYEN

By isa-tnj

"It's my duty, my God-given birthright and my crown." - Mary, Queen of Scots In which Valyria Targaryen retur... More

RED QUEEN
ACT I | HALCYON
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
ACT II | PΔ€X
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
ACT III | RETROUVAILLES
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
ACT IV | BELEAGUER
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
ACT V | POLLEŌ
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTET FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
EPILOGUE
THE END

CHAPTER NINETEEN

5.8K 379 67
By isa-tnj

THE CONSPIRACY
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

124 AC, Sunspear

NOOOOO!!

Serra's piercing scream echoed against the walls of the sept and for a few moments it was like time slowed down. Those in the audience could only watch when three men charged forward towards the Prince and Princess of Dorne, weapons drawn. Valyria's head spun around just in time to see a slightly familiar man – she could not place a name to the face – raised the dagger in his hand, prepared to slit her throat from behind.

Then everything changed and suddenly everything seemed to be happening all at once. Valyria dove out of the way just before the man could grab her. Out of her peripheral vision, Valyria witnessed Qoren trying to fend off two attackers of his own. But Valyria did not get much opportunity to worry about her husband because soon her attacker was there, grabbing a fistful of her hair, yanking her to her feet by it.

Since he was armed while she had absolutely nothing to defend herself with while simultaneously being weaker, Valyria acted on instinct. Before he could slit her throat or stab her, she used the way one of his arms currently were holding her in place  and the altar close by to jump up and push with her feet against it with all her might, forcing her captor to stumble backwards.

What the man didn't seem to remember was the staircase leading up to the dais. It was only three steps high but enough of a height difference for him to completely lose his footing. Both Valyria and the man fell backwards down the steps but luckily for her, he broke her fall a little. When his arm loosened around her waist, however, Valyria continued to roll backwards down the stairs.

Grunting in pain when she landed on the hard floor, Valyria didn't have much time to think about her injuries. Quickly, purple eyes zeroed in on the now abandoned dagger on the ground next to her assailant. Noticing how he was quickly recovering from the fall as well, Valyria crawled over to it. She got a hold of the dagger just before her attacker could and in retaliation for her stealing his weapon, the man smacked her across the face.

Valyria didn't have time to be startled and acted instinctively when she stabbed the dagger into the first piece of skin she saw, which only happened to be his throat, and soon the man was coughing on his own blood.

For the first time since the attack started, Valyria had the time to throw a glance out at the crowds only to see the chaos out there. Some lords and ladies were trying to escape out of the sept while others joined the fight.

Lewyn had joined the fight and was currently fighting by his brother's side. Noticing that the brothers were outnumbered, Valyria ran forward and used her newly acquired dagger to stab one man in the shoulder. The seasoned warrior let out a pained cry and his moment of distraction was all Qoren needed to end him.

"Val, you need to get out of here," Qoren yelled to her.

"I'm not leaving you," Valyria protested, then she noticed a man running towards her husband over his shoulder. "Get down," she screamed in warning and without hesitating, Qoren ducked away and managed to kill yet another man. "See, you need me."

The battle inside officially ended when Martell guards arrived from Sunspear, making the last of the traitors run away. That was the first time she got a good look at her husband since the attack and her eyes widened in horror when she noticed a stain of blood growing on his shoulder.

"By the gods, you are hurt," Valyria gasped, dropping the dagger to the ground as she ran forward to him. "Prince Qoren is bleeding, he needs a healer!" she commanded the guard closest to her and the young man immediately sprung into action, running off to fetch a healer.

"Are you hurt?" Qoren wondered, looking her up and down to search for any noticeable injuries. The blood stains on her face and dress didn't seem to be from her and the only visible wound was a light nose bleed.

"I am not the one bleeding," Valyria deadpanned, gently trying to lift up the fabric of his tunic to get a look on the wound. When he visibly winced, her worry grew. She didn't know if it was her worry playing tricks on her, but he looked a bit paler than usual.

"I knew he was nothing but a spineless traitor!" Lewyn roared, kicking one of the fallen men. Too busy earlier trying not to die, Valyria hadn't registered that one of their attackers were none other than Lord Symon Breen – Qoren's cousin. Without seeing his face now, Valyria could tell one of the dead men was Symon from his expensive garments that she had seen earlier when they walked to the sept.

Something changed in Qoren's eyes and he pulled away from Valyria and started marching out of the sept. "Qoren!" Valyria yelled, running after him. "Every single man involved in this plot against our family will be brought to justice! Don't do anything impulsive now-"

"Valyria, return to Sunspear," Qoren ordered her. "Now."

"But-"

"Now, Valyria!" Qoren told her firmly. It didn't happen often that Qoren ordered her around. Never really.

"I will make sure he is safe," Lewyn promised before following after his brother, leaving Valyria standing there in the middle of the sept surrounded by dead bodies.

.•° ✿ °•.

No one in Sunspear got the Feast Day of Our Father Above that they expected. Instead of a grand feast with more food than they could eat, more wine than anyone could drink, dancing and singing it became a day more true to what the septons preached about the holy day: that it was an auspicious day for making judgments.

Lord Symon Breen had alongside his companion plotted to murder Valyria and Qoren during the ceremony in the sept when they were at their most vulnerable. Then the plan was to siege Sunspear and install Lord Symon as the new Prince of Dorne to rid House Targaryen's influence over their kingdom.

Everyone who somehow was involved in the plot had been brought to justice. Those that hadn't been killed in the attack were executed and then all of their bodies were hung on the city walls. This was a side of her husband Valyria weren't used to seeing; a side that she hadn't seen a single time in nearly a decade of marriage.

Qoren was out for blood.

All those that dared to harm his family – or that tried to – were punished severely. But none more than House Breen. Symon was dead but Qoren did not stop there. The Lord of Malgrave Hall didn't have any legitimate heirs, only a wife that had given him one son in their short marriage and that son died within a year.

Now Qoren was determined to make sure the Breen House and name were erased from all history books. That they all were stripped of their titles and riches. Lady Breen, the new widow, was given the choice to return to her childhood home – which truly showed Qoren's true colours. Not even when he was consumed by vengeance did he harm innocent people.

The attack against her family woke Valyria up to the harsh realities of the world again. For too many years she had lived in Dorne, sheltered from the true dangers and backstabbing that followed everyone with enough power to make others greedy. Not even her regular visits to King's Landing had been enough to burst the near idyllic bubble she had been living within.

Amongst the Targaryens there always seemed to be somewhat of a fight for the position of King. Aegon the Conqueror had two wives who both carried a son that wanted the throne while Jaehaerys didn't have any living sons left but three grandchildren with different claims. Now Viserys had a named heir and a son who one day could come to struggle for the position of the King's successor – even though Valyria of course prayed that day wouldn't come.

In Dorne everything seemed so easy that Valyria unintentionally had lowered her guard. Qoren didn't have any siblings to challenge him for his position as Prince of Dorne, nor was there anyone other than him and their children that currently carried the name Martell. The dornish seemed so loyal to their prince Valyria convinced herself that their love for him would overshadow their dislike for her.

This attack had shown her two things...

The first was that those who truly only hated her for being born a Targaryen would never change their minds no matter what she did. Even if Valyria was the Maiden or Mother Rhoyne herself their hatred would not diminish because narrow-minded and prejudiced people did not see anything beneath the surface. She could not prove them wrong because they did not see her actions or hear her words, too blinded by her features, name and ancestors. And it was not her responsibility to go out of her way to change their minds when she had never given them a single reason to hate her other than being born.

The second thing she learned was that while there would always be those that blindly hated her, Valyria had an ability to charm a lot of those in her surroundings. Her kindness, all those hours spent trying to help men, women and children – nobles and smallfolk alike – were not in vain. When she arrived in Dorne, she had no allies but now, after the attack, she received a nearly overwhelming support from many around her.

"You should rest," Valyria told her husband when she found him sitting over by the desk in their bedchamber instead of lying in bed. She had woken up due to the sound of parchments being moved and immediately noticed the bed cold beside her.

"As should you," Qoren retorted without looking up from the papers.

Sighing, Valyria rolled out of bed and put on her robe. She walked over to her husband and placed a hand on his uninjured shoulder, "The healer ordered you to take it easy or you will break the stitches."

"I could have done this in bed," Qoren said, "so I don't believe that I am at risk of re-opening any wound."

"He also told you to rest," Valyria reminded him. "You lost a lot of blood." When Qoren gave her no indication to have taken her words to heart, she added, "You want to get to the bottom of this, I understand that. But it's better to sleep and wake up with a fresh mind than to tiredly work yourself into an early grave. No one can think clearly when they are exhausted."

"We will all find ourselves in an early grave if we cannot find all those behind this attack," Qoren said firmly, anger seeping through his words.

"I hate to tell you this, Qoren, but no matter how hard you work, you will never find all those behind this," Valyria said, hating the truth behind her own words. "That is the thing about snakes. They hide in their holes beneath the ground and sometimes, they show themselves when they attack. But those who remain beneath the ground won't be found until they show themselves unless you wish to spend the rest of your years digging holes every time you see a movement in the bushes."

Realising she needed to say something to cheer him up instead, she added, "Instead we should see this as the opportunity to cut the head off a few snakes and we survived it."

.•° ✿ °•.

125 AC, King's Landing

News of the attack against House Martell reached King's Landing quickly and Valyria had to send countless letters to Viserys and other family members, assuring them that she was fine and unharmed by the attack. Of course, none truly believed her words of assurance but Valyria couldn't leave Dorne within the first fortnight after the attack since it would look like she was fleeing, not to mention that her husband and kingdom needed her.

But eventually, Valyria took Ānogara for a flight to the Capital. The only evidence of the attack on her was a few bruises that had healed by now and a nosebleed. So hopefully her lack of injuries would be enough to calm her worrying family members.

Valyria almost felt like a child once more when Viserys pulled her into a tight hug – or as tight as his weak arms could manage – and started fussing over her, searching for any visible wounds. "I am fine and unharmed," Valyria assured her cousin. "Truly. While the attack was an unpleasant experience, I am alive. It takes more to bring down a dragon."

"And what of your children?" Viserys wondered, lowering himself down in a seat. These days, standing up for too long was enough to make him winded. Valyria sat down on the chair next to his.

"Thankfully they were not with us," Valyria said. If they had, things could truly have ended tragically. Valyria and Qoren barely managed to fend for themselves and had the children been with them, she wasn't sure she would have reached them in time. "They were a bit shaken when we returned, but that is understandable. I would have been frightened too if my parents were attacked."

"If you feel Dorne is not safe for them, I hope you know that your children are always welcomed here in the Red Keep," Viserys told her. "I must admit that I still haven't grown used to the twins' absence. They brought a lightness to court, much like you always do."

"Thank you, Viserys," Valyria smiled gratefully. Even with the current tension in Dorne, it was likely safer than the Red Keep.

"For how long will you be staying?" Viserys then wondered.

"I have to return to Dorne in the morning," Valyria explained. Usually it was the rest of the Seven Kingdoms that needed her to help solve some crisis, but at the moment all her focus needed to be on her own kingdom.

"So soon," Viserys sighed in disappointment.

"Qoren needs me now more than ever," Valyria told him, eyes downcast at the thought of her husband's health. It wasn't getting any better. "He was injured in the attack and has yet to recover fully." The question was if he ever would but Valyria quickly pushed those dark thoughts away. Suddenly feeling the need to change the subject, Valyria said, "Daeron has really grown since you last saw him. He is such a clever young boy and so courteous."

"I am sure he is, after all, he is learning from the best," Viserys smiled gently at her. "Alicent wished to bring him home when we heard about the assassination attempt, but if you are certain that he is safe with you in Dorne, then I truly think it's best for him to stay there."

"I will keep your son safe, I promise you that," Valyria assured him. "Those directly involved with the attack have been dealt with and a clear message has been sent out to anyone that even considers following their path." Hoping to swift the focus of her, she inquired, "How is everything here in the capital?"

Tiredness was clear in his purple eyes as Viserys sighed, "The only thing changing seems to be me." It was true that he had aged much faster than anyone expected. Nearing fifty namedays the King only looked a few years younger than the Old King did when he laid on his deathbed. But she understood what he meant because sometimes when she returned to court she couldn't help but feel they were dealing with the same issues as back then...

Unrest was slowly returning to the Stepstones and without a doubt, the Triarchy would soon take advantage of how vulnerable the area was.

Alicent and Rhaenyra were still at each other's throats most of the time, never seeing eye to eye on anything. If one of them said the sky was blue, the other one would surely find a way to disagree.

The only thing missing now was Daemon doing something reckless and they would be right at home.

"At least the white hair isn't much different from the previous colour," Valyria joked, a mischievous grin on her face, making her look like a young girl once more. "And the crown almost hides that you are balding up there," she motioned towards the top of his head.

Viserys's laughter rang through his chamber, "Anyone else, I would have thrown into the Black Cells for such cheek."

"You would not dare. The entire realm would riot."

.•° ✿ °•.

125 AC, Sunspear

For a while it seemed the wound Qoren received during the attack was healing. But now it became clear that the blade used to stab him had been laced with some kind of poison that slowly was infecting the injured area. In the beginning, Qoren managed to hide it well but Valyria could see her husband's deteriorating health.

The way he did not eat nor sleep as much as before. The way the dark circles underneath his eyes seemed more prominent for each passing day. There were good days when he almost seemed unaffected and there were bad days when the pain was nearly unbearable for him and Qoren had to be bedridden after consuming enough Milk of the Poppy to make the pain bearable.

The healer informed them that soon all days would be bad days.

Valyria realised that in a time like this, it was more important than ever that she was strong for the rest of her family. Their children were all worried about Qoren and she would not do anything better by showing how terrified she was herself. Worried that she'd wake up one day and not have him by her side.

Every day now seemed to be a gamble if he was fit enough to handle his duties as Prince of Dorne or not. Lewyn and Valyria worked together most of the time to relieve his burdens. However, his deteriorating health did not subdue his stubbornness, so Qoren tried his best to never be excluded from ruling his kingdom.

Cyrenna and Elara would soon celebrate their five-and-tenth nameday and now when they were getting older Valyria tried to include them more when performing her own duties as Princess of Dorne since they both one day would be ladies of their own castle. The twins were older now than she had been when marrying Lucian and Valyria couldn't even consider marrying them off yet. They were still children in her eyes.

Amongst the children, the twins were also the ones who best understood what was happening around them. Aelia and Daeron were too young to comprehend more than that bad men had tried to hurt Valyria and Qoren and that Qoren now didn't feel well. The one who kind of fell in between those two levels of understanding were Cassian.

His seventh nameday had passed already and the young boy – the heir to Dorne – did seem to understand what his father's fading health meant. He must have because lately he'd become more quiet and withdrawn, focusing more on his lessons than ever before.

When the afternoon sun slowly started to sink lower, Valyria found her son seated on a bench in the outskirts of Sunspear's garden. His brows were drawn together in deep concentration as he stared down at his boots. Dark hair fell down over his eyes and he would brush it away every other second only for the wind to blow it up in his face again.

"I was about to send out a search party," Valyria said, announcing her presence.

Qoren jumped a bit, head snapping up so that two pairs of orchid coloured eyes met. "Mūna, I am sorry, I did not want to worry you."

"To be fair, I always worry for you and your siblings. It's a mother's burden," Valyria said, sitting down on the stone bench beside him. "I heard your Uncle Lewyn took you to meet the treasurer today and you didn't fall asleep, now that is most impressive."

Cassian cracked a smile at that, "He was kind, but spoke very slowly. Which I suppose was good, because I learned a lot."

"Much could be said about the old man, but he is very good with numbers," Valyria admitted, reaching over to pluck a deep pink hibiscus growing on the bush behind the bench. "And maybe it is the old age that makes him speak so slowly."

"Did –," Cassian swallowed his own words. "Why did Uncle Lewyn allow me to come with him?"

"Allow? Are you sure you didn't do something that he wished to punish you for?" Valyria asked, bumping his shoulder with her arm in a playful manner. Despite smiling a little, it was clear Cassian had caught onto far more than Valyria wished he had.

"You are the future Prince of Dorne," Valyria said, "and it's good for you to learn what that entails. I used to attend Small Council meetings when I was half your age, and I didn't stand to inherit anything."

"Is father dying?" Cassian asked bluntly and it caught her off guard. It was a question she had asked herself countless of times and that she knew passed through everyone's mind whenever they saw Cassian's fatigued state.

But seeing the clear perturbation in her son's eyes – that a few moons ago held nothing but childish innocence – broke her heart. For a long time, Valyria tried to push those concerns to the back of her mind. Healers from Essos had been called to Sunspear to aid the sick Prince but other than that, they all tried to ignore what was happening in front of them.

Valyria could lie to herself all she wanted, but she could never lie to her son. He may still be a child but she believed him old enough to deserve the truth instead of excuses and white lies to ease his worries.

"Your father is very ill," Valyria said truthfully, her voice growing softer with each word. "The healers are trying very hard to find a way to make him healthy again, but they do not know how at the moment."

Cassian nodded, his lip trembling at the thought of losing his father. He had known the truth for a while now – people talked – but to hear it from his mother made it all reality instead of whispers in the wind. "Is that why Uncle Lewyn and father are trying to teach me how - how to rule?"

Valyria gently tucked a strand of dark brown hair behind his ear, "One day you will lead us. As your father led this family and his mother before him," she told her son. "If that day is tomorrow or in many, many years, we do not know. Your father is only trying his best to prepare you no matter when it happens."

"I don't want to be Prince of Dorne," Cassian shook his head, tears slowly gathering in his eyes. "Not if it means father has to die."

Pulling her son into her arms, Valyria continued to stroke his head with one hand, "That is a burden of many heirs. And I know your father will do anything in his power to stay with us for as long as he possibly can."

"I can never be as good as him," Cassian said, pulling back to look at his mother.

"No, you can never be your father," Valyria told him honestly, "but that does not mean you can't be just as good but in your own way. Your reign will be your own. Even though myself and your uncle will be there to guide and help you every step on the way. Yet – in the end, it will be your time to rule. If you wish to follow your father's footsteps, it will be your choice. If you want to do things differently, it will be up to you. Just know that your father and I will be proud of you no matter what."

"What if I one day decide to burn Dorne to the ground?" Cassian asked jokingly.

She kissed his forehead and used the pink hibiscus in her hand to brush against his nose, making the young boy jump back with a chuckle. Happy to see some playfulness return to her son's eyes, she said, in the most serious tone she could muster, "For as long as you leave my Water Gardens alone, I will support you. I am sure you had your reasons. But the moment I see a flame anywhere near the Water Gardens, then I am afraid I must put my foot down."

__________
I'm sorry, but this is still a Daemon story...😅

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 704 9
what happen when people from past before Robert rebellion and targaryen ancestors watch the life of zhaenyra targaryen, first and trueborn daughter o...
276K 8.7K 59
"Why you must make me bleed my love" said Daemon "For it bring me nothing but joy" Replied Aelana * * * * When Aegon I conquered the Westeros with hi...
72.8K 1.8K 7
𝖳𝗁𝖾 π—€π—‹π–Ύπ–Ύπ—‡π—Œ 𝗐𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾, 𝗒𝖾𝗍 π—Œπ–Ύπ—π–Ύπ—‹π–Ίπ—… π–½π—‚π–Ύπ—Œ. π– π–Ύπ—€π—ˆπ—‡ π—‡π–Ύπ–Ύπ–½π—Œ 𝖺 𝗐𝗂𝖿𝖾. 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝗐𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝖺�...
264K 9.5K 68
Daemon and Rhaenyra's night at the pleasure house had consequences. Viserys disinherits Rhaenyra when she refuses to marry Laenor and gives Daemon an...