Inception: Book 1 (FFVII Rema...

By asuka_lynnbrown

In the city of Midgar, the infamous electric power company called Shinra continues to use the plant's lifefor... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Ch. 1
Ch.2
Ch.3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch.6
Ch. 7
Ch.8
Ch.9
Ch. 10
Ch.11
Ch.12
Ch.13
Ch.14
Ch.15
Ch.16
Ch. 17
Ch.18
Ch.19
Ch. 20
Ch.21
Ch.22
Ch.23
Ch. 25
Ch.26
Ch.27
Ch.28
Ch.29

Ch. 24

469 6 5
By asuka_lynnbrown

The ball couldn't come any sooner as Sara looked at the mirror in her apartment. Sara styled her hair parted to the side while her hair was in waves. She wore natural make-up with a hint of blush and simple silver dangling earrings to compliment her looks. Taking a deep breath, Sara grabbed her small black velvet drawstring bag that held her cell phone, lipgloss, powder, and a few toiletries. She walked down the hallway and entered the elevator heading to the recreational floor where the ball was being held.

While she felt sad that she was going alone, she didn't regret her decision. Sara had to put those two men in their place and tell them her true feelings. She didn't like that men were fighting over her, so she wanted to end it. If she can't make them happy, she doesn't deserve to be escorted to the ball. At least, that's what she decided.

When she arrived at the ball, she saw the place was filled with so many guests. Sara saw men dressed in their best suits and women wearing their finest gowns to make an impression on the old and young men. Sara began to make her way to the grand staircase, where the food was being served on the top floor. She climbed the stairs and got a better view of the whole room. On the first floor, the tables were decorated in white fabric linen, and the chairs were covered in white linen with a golden bow tied to the back. A candle centerpiece was placed on each table, surrounded by red and yellow roses. Far to the north side of the room was the dancing floor, and sitting next to the dancing floor were musicians playing elegant music. Most of the guests were employees of the company, Sara spotted the president talking with the higher-ups and greeting the employees.

"Enjoying the event, are we?" a familiar voice spoke to Sara from behind.

Sara turned around and saw Mayor Domino, who handed her a glass of champagne. Sara smiled as she took the glass, then took a small sip as she observed the crowd.

"More or less," Sara replied.

Domino chuckled as he looked at the crowd, "Seeing those rats makes my stomach turn. But despite the war, we should hope for a better year."

"You don't agree with what's going on with the war?" Sara asked.

Domino humphed, "As if I give a damn about those Wutai thugs, yet if I were to choose a side, I would select Wutai in hopes that they can teach those pricks a lesson."

Sara wanted to laugh but only let out a small chuckle. She knew that Domino was never on good terms with the president. But at least he didn't hold his grudge against her since she works for Shinra.

Before she spoke again, her heart stopped when she spotted three men coming out of the elevator. The women noticed them and started to have heart-shaped eyes. It was Genesis, Angeal, and Sephiroth, all dressed in tuxes.

Angeal wore a grey suit, a black button shirt, and a silver tie. His hair was slicked back, which made him clean and sharp. Genesis wore a red suit with a black shirt with an ivory tie. He kept his wild hairstyle look and his single dagger earring, which made him handsome and rugged. Sephiroth wore a black suit with a silver shirt and teal blue tie. He kept his hair in its usual style, still making him hot and sexy.

Domino let out a low whistle, "Well, even the new 1st class SOLDIERs look just as sharp as Sephiroth. But then, of course, there's you, who is just as beautiful as ever."

"Yet it seems no one knows that a young woman is also a 1st class SOLDIER." An unfamiliar voice spoke arrogantly.

Sara and Domino turned their heads and were surprised to see the president's son Rufus Shinra. Sara narrowed her eyes in suspicion; she didn't expect to see the president's son, who was supposedly on a long-term business trip. But then again, he is the president's son, so it wasn't surprising to see him at the party. Rufus was a tall blonde man with blue eyes wearing a white suit with a black tie. Rufus walks over but has his eyes on Sara.

"Saraphina Griffin, I believe?" Rufus questions and Sara nods in response.

Rufus offers her his hand and asks, "May I dance with you?"

Sara could tell by those eyes full of pride that there was more to his action than a mere dance. As much as she wanted to run away, she decided to play along. She took his hand and linked her arm with his as they both made their way to the dance floor.

Sara didn't even bother to look for her fellow SOLDIER members, but she could feel a murderous intent coming from somewhere in the room. Rufus looked at everyone in the room with a prideful smirk as if he had just won the war. Yet when the president saw his son passing by, he immediately spat out his wine while coughing a few coughs. Rufus chuckled when he saw his old man's shocked expression, but Sara felt a bit annoyed that Rufus seemed to use her to show off.

Once the two made it to the dance floor, the musicians started playing another song. Sara faces Rufus as she puts her left hand on his right upper arm. Rufus places his right hand on her waist and takes her right hand then they begin to dance with Rufus leading.

"Enjoying the party?" Rufus asks politely.

"A bit overwhelming," Sara replied sassily.

Rufus chuckled, "True, but once you've let your guard down for a bit, it can be fun."

"You seem to be having fun," Sara raised a brow.

"What I do is to remind my old man to watch his back," Rufus said with a cold smile.

"Why do you say that?" Sara asked.

"The enemy is not just in Wutai," Rufus explained, "The enemy that I'm referring to are the ones that we least expect."

Sara could sense the malicious intent as she picked up what Rufus was implying, "Like the ones within this company."

Rufus looked at her with a smirk as if she had guessed right, then he pulled her right hand up and spun her before he faced her again, dancing to the music.

"It's such a shame that a young woman who's a 1st Class SOLDIER. To remain in the shadows as you watch your mentor and two fellow colleagues take the spotlight," Rufus.

Sara responded coldly, "Better them than me; I don't like the spotlight."

"One day, you may regret that, Miss Griffin," Rufus frowns slightly.

"Excuse me, may I have this dance?"

Rufus and Sara stopped dancing only to find Angeal looking at them with a small smile. Rufus nods and plants a kiss on Sara's hand.

"We shall meet again, Miss SOLDIER 1st Class," Rufus smiles and walks away.

Angeal gives a cold glare and takes Sara by the hand. Sara follows his lead, and they continue to dance. Sara lets out a sigh of relief when Rufus disappears into the crowd.

"Feeling better?" Angeal asked.

"Now that blonde bastard is gone," Sara groaned, "I'm feeling much better. Thank you for saving me."

Angeal chuckled, "Well, I happened to be lucky on this one."

"Why is that?" Sara asked.

"The three of us had a game of rock, paper, scissors," Angeal answered, "And so I won, but don't take this the wrong way. I jumped in the game because I knew you were uncomfortable and needed a break. I doubt those two would do the same."

"They would probably flirt with me to no end," Sara rolled her eyes.

"I wouldn't be so sure," Angeal smiled, "After what you told them, those two seemed to have changed their minds."

"Does that mean they'll stop flirting with me?" Sara wondered.

"No, they might flirt a bit, but not as much as before at the end of it all," Angeal replied, "It's up to you to decide. Whoever you choose to be with, there will be no hard feelings."

Sara was surprised to hear this from Angeal but still had doubts and murmured, "And what if I decide not to choose?"

"Then there's nothing to worry about," Angeal answered, "I'm sure that the main reason they decided to take a different way was for you to be happy. But they didn't like how the president's son used you like that."

"I could tell he had a reason behind his show-off action," Sara mentioned.

Angeal nodded in agreeance, "Yeah, well, let's enjoy the evening before we head back to the battlefield. By the way, I like the dress."

Sara smiled, "Thanks, my dad picked it out and taught me how to dance."

Angeal raised a brow and commented, "Well, props to your father. He does have great taste in choosing a dress."

Sara smiled and stopped dancing, excusing herself. She decided to rest her feet since she had been dancing for about ten minutes, and the black high-heel shoes were uncomfortable. Sara went back to the second floor, grabbed a plate of finger food, then took a seat at one of the empty tables near the railing that overlooks the first floor, where most guests were. As she ate her food, Sara felt a bit rather uncomfortable. She wasn't sure why; perhaps it was the feeling of too many people in the facility. Plus, she was rather bored and wanted to get some fresh air or at least go somewhere other than here.

After discarding her empty plate in the trash, Sara began to head for the elevator after being joined in by a certain someone.

"Leaving already?" Sephiroth raised a brow.

Sara turned away and muttered, "I didn't like the crowd."

Sephiroth chuckled as the doors closed. He turned to her curiously, "Which floor do you want to go to?"

Sara shrugged, "It doesn't matter as long it's peaceful somewhere."

Sephiroth nodded and pressed the button leading to the top floor of the president's office. The two of them said nothing, which made it awkward. The elevator stopped, and the doors opened; the area was empty as they walked towards the doors that led to the outside balcony. Sara walked over to the rail and looked at the lovely city view.

Sara shivered as the wind blew, making her skin feel cold, but something wrapped around her shoulders. She looked at her shoulders, noticing a jacket was covering her shoulders. Sara realized that Sephiroth was using his tuxedo jacket to protect her from the cold.

She looked at him, startled, "Um, thanks, but won't you be cold?"

"The cold doesn't bother me," Sephiroth replied.

He wrapped his arm around her, bringing her close to him. Sara was still a bit nervous, but she kept calm and focused on the view.

"Saraphina, can I ask you something?" Sephiroth spoke after a long peaceful silence.

Sara nodded, and the two turned to face each other. Sephiroth asked, "Why did you spoke those words to Genesis and me?"

Sara knew what he was mentioning, he was talking about when she told them that she decided to go to the ball alone. Yet, looking at those green pierced eyes, Sara could tell that Sephiroth seemed not to understand why she did it.

Sara averted her eyes, replying, "I didn't want you and Genesis to fight over me."

Sephiroth was surprised to hear those words and asked, "Why?"

"I hate it when there are two people I care about fighting me who's not worthy," Sara turned around while holding her arms.

"Why do you think you're not worthy?" Sephiroth looked at her confused.

Sara sighed, "Sephiroth, you are the war hero to many people. So many women would love to be your girlfriend, and they are better-looking than me. It's the same for Genesis, he may not be a war hero yet, but he'll become famous, and the women will be drawn to him. It will be the same for Angeal. You guys can pick any woman you want, but me."

She paused while biting her lip as the words came out seemed like she was spitting out needles.

Sara muttered, "I don't deserve either of you. I already know that the president wants me to remain in the shadows. I will not gain any fame or fans—only the paychecks from completing missions and having a roof over my head. I like that idea or lifestyle because the spotlight is too bright for this plain girl."

Even though it pained her that no one would recognize her deeds that she has done. But considering Rufus's comment that no one seems to know she is a 1st Class SOLDIER already means that the president has taken steps to hide her position.

She was startled when Sephiroth wrapped his arms around her from behind, holding her tightly.

"Don't lie to yourself," Sephiroth said, "You know very well that you deserve much more than what you'll be given. As for choosing other women, I don't give a damn about those blind fools."

"But why me?" Sara stuttered, "Why choose me?"

"Because I can never forget that girl I met in a certain village," Sephiroth explained, "Who has the same eyes as mine but never once looked at me with fear. Instead, you looked at me with curiosity and wonder. Then when you became my pupil, I noticed the determination in your eyes. And when you returned from your missions in Wutai, your eyes were filled with bravery. I knew later that the moment Genesis started to become attracted to you. I wouldn't say I liked the thought of the two of you together. It was then I realized that I have feelings for you, and so when you told us that you were going to the ball alone. I was not too fond of it, for I felt pain in my chest."

Sara felt her body going numb; she was shocked to hear those words from Sephiroth. He had been in love with her for so long, and what did she do in return? Nothing, nothing at all. Yet hearing Sephiroth's confession made her feel fuzzy on the inside. She had never felt this way; it was all new to her. Yet looking back at all the past events, Sara had to admit she admired Sephiroth and was glad to be under his mentorship. But also, she too could remember the silver-haired boy who rescued her from the bullies and the hellhound.

Sara felt Sephiroth's grip holding her tightly as if he didn't want her to disappear. That may be true; she had been keeping a distance from him. Though the war had also kept them apart, there were other opportunities she could have let him get close to her. Perhaps this might be what she needed, someone to lean on and share the challenging moments and battles that will surely come.

"I...," Sara paused before she continued, "I can still remember that boy who saved me from those bullies and the hellhound. Then when we met again, and you became my mentor, I thought you didn't want to get to know me, for you were drawing the line between us. But then, when you started showing signs that you cared about me, I tried to deny my feelings and kept using the war as an excuse."

Sara pulled away and then faced Sephiroth, holding both hands as she continued, "But hearing what you have said to me now. I won't run away from my feelings anymore."

Sephiroth looked at her before bringing her closer to him as his face inched closer to hers. Their noses were almost touching each other.

"Does this mean that you're mine?" Sephiroth asked in a whisper.

"Yes," Sara replied.

"And you're okay being with me? Even though I may know nothing about being in a relationship?" Sephiroth questioned.

Sara smiled softly, "We can learn together; I've never been in a relationship. So don't think you're alone in all of this."

Sephiroth smirked before he closed the gap between them, and they kissed. When they kissed, fireworks began to shoot into the sky, letting out screeching and booming sounds while shining the night sky with beautiful colors.

Sara and Sephiroth stopped kissing and began to watch the fireworks. Yet, they were still in an embrace.

"The New Year as begun," Sephiroth said while watching the fireworks.

"Yeah," Sara nodded.

"Happy New Year, Saraphina."

"Happy New Year, Sephiroth."

The two kissed again while the fireworks continued.

They continued to hold each other until it was time to leave. As they were heading to the elevator from the president's office, Sephiroth looked at Sara, admiring her beautiful appearance.

"You look beautiful," Sephiroth commented.

Sara looked away, flustered while replying, "Y-you look handsome too!"

Sephiroth chuckled; seeing Sara all flustered made him want to tease her again. But he decided not to.

"Where to next?" Sephiroth asked as they stopped in front of the elevator.

Before Sara could answer, her cell phone vibrated. She quickly pulled it out of her purse and looked at the screen, noticing it was her father calling her.

"Hello?" Sara answered.

"Hello, sweetheart," A woman's voice replied.

Sara let out a gasp, covering her mouth. She had not heard her mother's voice in so long that she couldn't help but feel an overwhelming emotion. She didn't notice tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

"M-mommy!" Sara whimpered; her voice almost sounded like that of a little girl.

Emily chuckled at the other end, replying, "Yes, my dear Saraphina. Happy New Year, you're father told me everything you have done so far, and I'm very proud of you. You have become a strong woman."

Sara sniffed, "Oh Mom, there's so much I want to tell you and ask you, but I don't know where to start."

Emily sighed, "I feel the same way. Unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions nor have a long chat with you."

"W-why?" Sara asked in shock.

"Shinra has been watching us for a very long time," Emily explains, "There are certain things they don't want me or your father to tell you. But we, your father and I, know you have every right to know. Yet the company, including the president, wants to keep our lips shut and separate you and us."

"Um, the president's son Rufus," Sara bites her thumbnail, "While we were dancing, he mentioned that no one knows I'm a SOLDIER, let alone 1st Class, except for the current 1st Class members and the president along with the higher-ups and Mayor Domino."

"Then it seems that the president has already made a move," Emily groaned, "Damn it, Rufus, that fool."

"M-mom, what should I do?" Sara asked with a concerned voice.

"Keep you're chin up and do not, under any circumstances, trust Hojo, Heidegger, Scarlet, Palmer, the president, Rufus, or any higher employees, including the Turks," Emily replied sternly, "Where you live now is nothing more than a den of monsters. They will do anything to keep the secrets of the company secret."

"Am I a company's secret?" Sara wondered, but she had a gut feeling that she knew the answer.

"Yes, you are one of many secrets within the company," Emily answered grimly.

Sara was shocked. Who would've known that Sara was a secret that the company created? But then, she had wondered why she was so different and why the company did its best to keep her parents away from her. What has Shinra done to Sara that made them go so far as to keep her SOLDIER status, including Sara herself, a secret?

"But, who should I trust?" Sara asked.

Emily answered, "Trust only yourself, but if there was someone you could trust. I hope it's someone who can protect you."

"W-what about my friends and my new boyfriend?" Sara wondered.

"Oh? Who are these friends and this boyfriend?" Emily asked curiously.

"Angeal and Genesis are my new friends," Sara answered, "And Sephiroth is my boyfriend. He's standing next to me right now."

"I see; let me speak to him for a moment."

Sara nodded while handing Sephiroth her phone. He had been watching her with concern and curiosity. He had no idea what was happening as Sara talked to the other end, but he knew that whatever it was wasn't good.

"Hello?" Sephiroth brought the phone to his ear.

"Sephiroth, I'm Emily Griffin, Sara's mother," Emily introduced herself.

"Pleasure to hear you, Mrs. Griffin, "Sephiroth replied politely.

"Pleasure is all mine, I have a question to ask you," Emily said, cutting right to the chase.

"That is?" Sephiroth wondered.

"Can you protect my daughter?" Emily questioned, "Not from Wutai, but from the company itself."

"The company?" Sephiroth asked in confusion.

Emily carefully explained, "I cannot give you details because the company could very well monitor this conversation. Though I may have said too much and terrible things might happen. But please listen to this worried mother."

Sephiroth couldn't help but listen as he looked at Sara, who was just as confused and worried as himself. Emily took Sephiroth's silence as a yes before continuing.

"The president tends to keep Saraphina close so that no one will know of her existence but only certain people. I'm sure you are well aware that the company holds many secrets, that even their lower employees do not know the truths behind the walls of the company. The president does not want anyone to know Sara is one of those secrets. But it seems Rufus tends to use her as a tool to accomplish his goal since he danced with my daughter in front of many people. Unfortunately, my husband Darius and I cannot do much for our daughter. Darius has already done what he can do, and after Rufus's move, the president could very well keep my husband and daughter from seeing each other, which is why I'm asking you this, to protect Saraphina in our stead."

"What is this reason for keeping the three of you separate?" Sephiroth questioned, "Why would Shinra go so far?"

"That I'm afraid I cannot tell you, and I beseech you," Emily replied, "Do not under any circumstances look for the truth because it could very well be the end for all of us. If you genuinely believe that you can protect my daughter. Then support her, cherish her, and make up for anything that Darius or I couldn't do. Which I know is asking a lot, but can you protect my daughter?"

Sephiroth had never been given such a request in his life. Yet when he saw the painful look in Sara's eyes and the times when he knew Sara missed her family deeply. He couldn't deny a request even if he didn't know how to protect Sara, but they could learn together, as she mentioned.

"I will do it," Sephiroth replied, "I will do everything I can to protect her."

"Thank you, Sephiroth. You have no idea what this means to me," Emily replied.

Sephiroth handed the phone back to Sara who quickly brought it up to her ear, "Mom! Are you still there?"

"I'm still here, my darling, "Emily replied sweetly, "But we must end our conversation here."

"Wait! When will I see you again?" Sara quickly asked.

"I do not know when we'll meet again," Emily replied, "But know this, I will always love you no matter how far apart we are. I love you, Saraphina."

"I...love you too, Mom."

Emily hung up, and Sara lowered her hand that held her phone. That was the last conversation she had with her mom. It left her with sadness in her heart.

After that night, Sara did her very best to enjoy her two weeks of vacation. Yet, during several training exercises, Angeal, Genesis, and Sephiroth could tell Sara was trying to hide her pain by putting on fake smiles. Her fighting moves could have been better.

"I'm going to shower and grab some food," Sara announced as she left the workout gym.

"Alright! See you soon!" Angeal smiled.

As the men saw Sara leave, they sighed heavily as they began a serious conversation.

"Seriously, why would Shinra keep Saraphina and her family apart?" Genesis groaned while wiping the sweat off his face with a towel.

Sephiroth had already told Angeal and Genesis what he had heard from Emily. Both men were shocked and confused about the company's actions towards Sara.

"It's not just keeping her family apart," Angeal added, "But also making sure no one knows she's a SOLIDER. Which is even more bizarre that's got me wondering what could make the company go to such links?"

Genesis shrugged, "Good luck finding that out, even if we did, does that mean the company will decide to eliminate us? You know how Shinra is about keeping things on a tight lid."

Angeal sighed. He knew that Genesis was right and didn't want to worsen things.

"Sephiroth, what do you suggest?" Angeal asked.

Sephiroth was leaning against the wall while holding a water bottle. His mind wandered in thought, but even he didn't know what to do. After a moment of silence, Sephiroth spoke up.

"Act as if we don't know anything when we're around the higher-ups and the president," Sephiroth answered, "If we don't, then things will only get more complicated. Also, let's keep what we've discussed, though the company could monitor us now. As for watching over Saraphina, we need to lend our support."

"That's it?" Genesis asked.

"That's it, there's nothing much," Sephiroth replied.

And the conversation was left at that.

Soon after, it was time for them to leave for Wutai, but only one remained behind instead of the four of them going to Wutai.

The helicopter waited patiently for the three men of SOLDIER 1st Class to hop on board. But the men had to leave their goodbyes to their beloved friend.

"Be safe out there and stay alive," Sara said with a small smile.

"Keep things safe here as well," Angeal said while hugging her.

"And don't get too comfortable here, too," Genesis grinned.

Sara rolled her eyes but smiled as she and Genesis did a fist bump. Her eyes turned towards Sephiroth, who was waiting for her patiently. Genesis and Angeal began to walk towards the chopper giving the couple some privacy. Sara and Sephiroth held each other, not wanting to let go but they knew they had orders to follow.

"Be safe out there," Sara mumbled as she snuggled against Sephiroth's chest.

Sephiroth hugged her tightly and said, "You do the same; I'll keep in touch."

The chopper's blades began to move, and the couple let go of their embrace not before giving a goodbye kiss. Sephiroth began to walk towards the helicopter and hop on. Sara stood watching the aircraft ascend to the sky and head straight for Wutai. She stood there until she could no longer see the vessel and walked back into the Shinra building. The floor Sara walked onto was the president's office. She walked towards the president's desk, where the man himself sat behind.

"Has the rest of the 1st class SOLDIERs left?" the president asked.

"Yes," Sara replied plainly, "They have."

"Good," the president replied curtly, "Now it's time to begin your simple mission."

"I don't see why you need a bodyguard when the security here is pretty tight," Sara replied sarcastically.

President Shinra's lips curled up, and he spoke coldly, "Saraphina, when there's war, we have to be prepared for anything, and that includes protecting those who have power. And you know that I hold a lot of power, so I need to have the second strongest SOLDIER as my bodyguard. In contrast, Sephiroth is out there on the front."

Yet, Sara knew that those words held no truth after discovering what her mother had said and what Rufus had done at the ball. She knew that the president wanted to keep her close.

Although the war turned out to be longer than what anybody had hoped for. Sephiroth had kept his word by sending emails or calls to Sara, letting her know how things were going and that he always thought about her. Genesis and Angeal did the same thing sending emails or calls. It made Sara glad to know that her friends and lover were doing well. Her mission of protecting the president was the most boring job ever. Yet she began to understand his character. She hated his coldness and no sense of mercy to anyone or anything. He had his eyes set on one thing to end the war with Wutai by any means necessary.

Sara always looks forward to seeing her friends and lover when Lazard sends them back to the Shinra headquarters at the end and beginning of every month. Sara and Sephiroth would go out on a date, usually to a movie theater and an excellent restaurant. Then they would hang out with Genesis and Angeal during training or sneak in the training room to have fun. Usually, they would spar together or place a dumb apple on top of one's head to see who could cut the apple without cutting one's head off.

However, like every war that happens, another begins to form when one slowly starts to end. And sometimes wars can hurt relationships with those around them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 76 21
Sam, Cloud, Aerith, and the others continue their journey to stop Sephiroth who continues to hunt for the mysterious Black Materia. What fate will be...
61.8K 1.4K 40
Growing up alongside Cloud and Tifa, Lailah Tenebris is a girl whose past is drenched in blood and plagued by death. As a descendant of Gaia, she use...
781 5 11
Taya, and her family escaped their dying planet when she was a baby. Her life has been one adventure after another with her parents by her side. The...
478 23 5
"You're not going with us (Y/n), it's too dangerous!" "Danger is my middle name..." "No it's not, you told me it's (md/n)?" ...