ROLAKE (DISCONTINUED)

By Gay4nutella

~~~~~~~~~~~ #I smiled guiltily, about to turn at a corner. "Well-" I started high pitched, getting ready to e... More

Author's note
•1: SS2 Already•
•2: Dem Babes•
•3: I Don't Like Him•
•4: Surprises•
•5: Adekunle•
•5b: Crushes and Bro Hugs•
•5c: Whipped•
•6: Lunch•
•6b: Spice Palace•
•6c: I'm Famished!•
•7: Making Progress•
•8: Fights and Insomnia•
•9: You're a case I swear•
•10: Oh No•
•11: Stay Happy•
•12: Clubs•
•13: Suspicions•
•13b: Sly Motherf*cker•
•14: Movie Date?•
•15: Unlicensed Snack Supermarket•
•16: Ya Doing Well•
•17: Complicated Species•
•17b: Galaxy Mall•
•18: Talks and Basketball•
•19: Facades•
•20: Bittersweet Nostalgia•
•21: Timiva•
Resumption of updates?🌚

•22: Rubber Duck•

96 23 6
By Gay4nutella

Rolake Coker

I hummed in my sleep as I turned in my bed, trying to get comfortable, a smile on my face. I reached for my phone, looked at the time and turned it off to go back to sleep.

Wait.

Something isn't right.

And with light speed, I shot up from my bed, the word "shit" constantly rolling off my tongue because that was the only thing my brain could comprehend. Shit!

I took my phone again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. '8:04' the time stared back at me smugly.

"Blood of Jesus" I muttered to myself as I scrambled out of my bed, stripping myself off my clothes with speed I didn't even know I possessed.

Why won't you develop superhuman powers when your class starts in precisely 6 minutes?

I ignored my subconscious, jumping into the shower with my toothbrush in hand. I don't even know how I did it but I was able to take a shower and brush my teeth in the span of two minutes. Two minutes! New record for me I swear.

You know, you rushing is totally useless because your classes start in less than 5mins and guess what? It's physics.

I let out a frustrated-stressed sigh as I collapsed on my bed with the thought in mind. If I decide to rush, I won't get to the class until 8:30 tops. And knowing that man, omo he'll make me reap what I sow. And I'm not ready to reap what I sow!

Yesterday after school, the gang basically just hung out a Timi's place. Well asides Bofa cause she had afterschool lessons even the she dreaded it. Being smart comes with a price right? Anyways, Kunle was literally dragged even though he was strongly opposing. My nigga, ain't no way in the damn universe are you going to go home and sulk when you have wonderful friends to keep your mind at bay. In my spirit of motivation, I held him on his shoulders with purpose in my eyes and I said, "in this life, sometimes you just have to say, rubber duck". Normally, the rest would have stared at me like I had grown two heads but surprisingly, they agreed with me. I swelled with pride at that moment not even gonna lie.

We also met Timi's brother, Darey, who is a vibe by the way. Us, girls, somehow got him to tell us embarrassing stories of Timi and Kunle and I swear, they blushed and cowered in embarrassment. It was hilarious. Later, my mom texted me that she had a quick flight she had to catch and was already on her way to the airport and the trip was three days long. Once I got home, I took liberty for stadium and binge watched Vincenzo. I had to stop at some point though because it was already two in the freaking morning and badabing badaboom, I'm waking up to see that my alarm rang thrice and I missed it.

Oh well, everything happens for a reason I guess.

Not in this situation.

_________________________♡

I was walking into the school, after successfully driving to school thanks to Tunde who decided to be Vin Diesel. It was fun, asides the part where I thought I was going to die.

He also helped me get past security because normally students were already having class. So it was only normal for them to ask questions but Tunde being the awesomest driver ever, bailed me out by giving one excuse about the tire going flat on the road or something. After that, I was pardoned and allowed access. I gave Tunde a fist bump before getting down from the car and as always, he passed the vibe check.

Instead of going straight to my class to own up for my tardiness like a normal, good student, I made a beeline for the tennis court which also happened to be the volleyball court of the school. I prayed silently to my eleda that the school's coach wouldn't be there so you wouldn't imagine my happiness when I saw the place empty. I climbed up the bleachers which was sun protected so I didn't have to bother about going home with mad sunburns regardless of the amount of sunscreen I apply everyday.

I brought out my physics textbook to read because for obvious reasons, I couldn't attend class and I didn't plan on failing any of my classes so I had to suck it up and read. Thankfully I knew where they were in the scheme so I just had to teach myself. Then ask Bofa to explain what I didn't understand later. Not even up to five minutes into my reading, my phone dinged with a notification.

Squidward Tentacles:
Hey. Where you at?
8:43am.

Me:
Tennis court.
Why?
8:43am

Squidward Tentacles:
I'm on my way.
8:44am.

I stared at my phone with disbelief clearly written on my face. Heading over to where? Isn't he supposed to be having class?

Aren't you supposed to be having class?

I mean, technically I am but I'm having it with myself. Big difference. I stared at my phone for 15 more seconds before shaking my head and discarding my phone. He couldn't be serious. I texted the gang earlier telling them I would probably miss the first two periods. Ava and Toni who knew me like the back of their hands easily detected that I slept past my alarm. It's not like this occurrence is a first for me.

God abeg.

It didn't take this guy up to seven minutes before I saw him casually stroll into the large court with absolutely no care in the world. He passed under the net demarcating the court and let me tell you, it was a funny sight because he could have easily side stepped it like a normal human being seeing as the height below it was just a few centimetres above the waist but noooo. My guy decided to do limbo with it which got him tangled up a little.

"Not funny" he grumbled beside me as he sat down but it only drew out another series of chuckles out of me.

"I never pegged you as a limbo dancer. Although it looks like you're a little rusty don't you think?" I asked with amusement, trying to get a reaction from him.

"Ha ha very funny" he said dryly and sarcastically, with a roll of his eyes might I add. But I didn't fail to notice the small smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

After that we fell into comfortable silence. The quiet and serenity, safe for a few far off faint noises which probably came from the class blocks, engulfing us and I took in a deep breath to appreciate such tranquillity. This was nice.

"It's next month" he suddenly said from beside me and I couldn't help but look at him in confusion, his face a far off look as his jaws clenched and unclenched, his eyes, probably invincibly obliterating the innocent atmosphere.

The gears turned in my head for a while trying to understand what he said and what he meant. Then it hit me.

"Oh" I managed to whisper out.

"Yeah" his voice equally as quiet. His gaze moving down to stare at his shoes. That's when I realized he wasn't wearing the school's blazer but a dark grey hoodie, his hands dug deep in the front pockets. If I knew any better, I would say his knuckles were probably turning white from how much he was squeezing his hands.

"Explains a lot" I said, sighing as I learned back into the bleachers, my legs outstretched in front of me.

Instead of going with the regular cock and bull people said like "oh I'm sorry" or "oh you're going to be okay" I decided not to because personally, I would be pissed if anyone said that kind of thing to me in said situation.

I leaned into him, putting my head on his shoulders and looked up to him. "You must miss her a lot" I said instead.

"You have no idea" he said with a sigh, a longing expression evident on his face. Well realistically, I didn't.

"How you holding up?" I asked. I wanted to know.

"Bad. Very bad. I almost relapsed Star. I was this close" he said, hinting the close with his fingers. I sat up to look at him but he just averted his gaze to the opposite direction. Yes the revelation did shock me but that will be kept aside for now.

I decided to tread further. "Mind telling me what exactly?" I asked, sucking my bottom lip inbetween my teeth.

"Coke" he simply said. Coke. Wow.

Realistically, I wouldn't have pegged Adekunle as someone who dabbled that sort of way. But then again, it's not like he would be walking around with a giant sticker on his head that said 'I do drugs'. It didn't work that way.

A feeling of appreciation swarmed through me. Most people wouldn't have admitted a thing like that out loud except the particular percentage of people who saw it as a flex.

"Well I'm glad you didn't. And also, thank you for telling me. Must have taken a lot of courage" I said, giving his hand a light squeeze. Okay this sentimental shit isn't for me. But as always, I had to suck it up since he decided to confide in me of all people.

"I'm just...I feel trapped. The past week was bad for me. I could barely sleep and was basically living like the walking dead. I hate it. And I'm sorry if I'm putting my baggage on you but I feel like if I didn't tell someone, there's only so much I can take. It hurts Star. It really does" he said to me, eyes staring intently at me and it felt as if he was pleading for me to share or at least, lift off what he was feeling. That's when I noticed he looked in a really bad shape. From afar he looked normal and pretty much Adekunle but up close, I could see the slight bags forming under his eyes, the white of his eyes slightly red at the corners, his eye lids dropping slightly. He looked tired, exhausted even.

I leaned in and hugged him. His body froze momentarily but after a few seconds, he melted into the hug, snuggling into the crane of my neck. He released a shaky sigh and I patted his back soothingly.

"You'll get through it. Tell you what, whenever you feel like one of your episodes is probably too strong for you, text the gang and we'll gladly be a distraction for you. If everyone's not available, I'll be. And it stays between us" I say to hit and I could feel him nod his head into my neck. We broke the hug and the look of appreciation on his face couldn't be missed.

"All this was kind of too soon but either way, thank you" he said.

And I said the first thing that came to my mind. "Rubber duck".

And with that we both burst into laughter and I could feel the slight depressing mood fade off.

"You need to head back to class though" I told him because I could bet my left liver, if he used the bathroom excuse, he had wasted more than the normal allotted time.

"I kind of like this better" he said, shrugging.

"Oya get out" I said to him, narrowing my eyes to slits.

He raised his hands up in mock surrender as he stood up. "Fine fine. But you should come with. I'm sure if you give a reasonable excuse, you know, asides you sleeping past your alarm because you stayed up till the early hours of the day watching a movie, he would probably let you off the hook" he said with a coy smile on his face and I could only slit my eyes further.

"Am I supposed to feel better?" I asked and he just shrugged, smiling.

"C'mon. Let's go" he didn't even wait for me to agree and he just started packing up my things and then pulling me up. Is this guy serious?

"And yes, I'm deadass serious" he said and I could only groan. Why na? I was enjoying the peace of the outdoors!

"Just know that if I get reprimanded or worse, in trouble, I'm dragging you along with me" I said as we climbed down the stairs of the bleachers.

"Yeah yeah whatever fam" he said casually. See somebody that wanted to shoot laser beams out of his eyes minutes ago. Bruh.

________________________♡

"I mean, who transfers like three weeks into the term?" Ava asked, fingers tapping on her chin.

We were in the school's cafeteria and it was already long break. I think it's safe to say that I survived the physics class because surprisingly, the man didn't even give too much thought about my tardiness after I gave the excuse Adekunle made me memorize on our way to the class. After that, it was basically just classes back to back and we were finally allowed to breathe even if it was just for a short while.

Now here we were, gossiping about the new kid we were reportedly having. Well they were talking and I was just listening with my meat pie constantly stuffing my mouth.

"I saw him today in the administrative block when I went to meet the bursar. Guy this bro is a spec! A ten outta ten minus nothing raised to the power infinity" Moyin said, snapping her fingers with so much glee and sass, the whole table started laughing. I swear this hype better be worth it.

"Wait wait wait. So what if we see him and he's not much of a spec as you claim? That's just going to be a bad way for him to start on God" AY said and I couldn't agree more. That was just unintentional social suicide.

"You people should know me by now na. If a guy isn't fine, I wouldn't say he is. Haba. Have trust in me na" she said.

"So when is said spec resuming?" Ava asked, practically jumping in her seat. Since when did boy matter start pinching this one? God abeg.

"I asked the bursar and she said tomorrow. I just pray he ends up in my class" she said with a sigh, a dreamy look in her eyes.

"For wetin? So that you people will use fan girling to kill him alive. No oh. Let him come to our class abeg" Kemi said and I swear, I almost choked on my drink. My ear must be paining me cus whattt??? Kemi actually gives an eff about this guy. It's official. The world is ending.

"Maybe my ears must be paining me or Folakemi aka Stone, just contributed to a boy's matter" Bami said and literally everyone was agreeing.

"I guess all our ears are paining us because omo" Bofa said, causing Adekunle to laugh from beside me.

"That's you guys' business. I said what I said" Kemi said with a shrug, chewing on her sausage.

"But it's not fair now. Class A is basically hugging all the fine boys to themselves" she said, whining which caused Class A students to laugh and some of the Class B boys close to our table to shoot her the stink eye. She indulged them by sticking out her tongue at them in an unapologetic way and before you knew it, part of a sausage was flying, going straight for her head.

The entire table was in hysterics at this point because said girl was stomping towards their table and legit started dragging the ears of the guys on that table.

"This girl's crazy is on another level" Timilehin said from opposite me, watching the scene in amusement. It was actually very funny to watch.

"Last last, he's going to end up in our class" Shatoni said with a shrug as she sipped on her ice tea.

"Either or. That's the school's business" I said, finishing up my meat pie and getting ready to eat my chicken pie. Did I mention that I didn't eat this morning? Stupid of me, I know but imagine my hunger. I basically ordered two times more than I eat on a normal day.

"That's what she'll say" Ava said, looking at me with an I-know-you look and I sent her a knowing smile.

Just then, the automatic warning bell rang which meant, you have five minutes to get your asses into class or punishment awaits. I will never understand why we have an automatic bell and a utility prefect. Well, I guess it just made their work easier.

Thankfully, I had a the last two periods free after this next class. Lord knows I was going to use it to sleep.

"Who wants to make a bet on which class he ends up in? 2k for your choice. Loser takes none and winner takes all" Timi said and unsurprisingly, these kids started betting as we cleared up our stuff.

Nawa.

A/N: 😐
Long time no see folks.
Do I have an explanation? Maybe. Would you like my explanation? I don't know.
But either way, firstly if you can read this then it means you read through the entire mid chapter written by me. I appreciate you for that. It seemed tacky to me but something is better than nothing, right?

Secondly, ya'll are free to come for my head for abandoning this book for monthssss🤧.
I just couldn't handle dealing with the pressure from home, school aaand still rack my head to deliver and then end up hating it. Believe me I tried writing this chapter a few times, each with a different concept and they were all shit. So you know, I just had to wait till the inspiration came back.

Speaking of chapter, Adekunle huh?👀
Me sef e shock me. But at the same time it wasn't too shocking sha.

And Rolake will forever remain a sweet heart and that's on period.

So to those who stuck around, I wuv you❤
To those who gave up on me, arigato 🧚‍♀️
And to new readers, welcome aboard 🌚❤

My WAEC is starting in like two weeks but one thing I can assure is that I'm no longer on hiatus. The updates won't be that frequent for the next three months but there would be updates regardless.

Y'all lovelies know the drill aii? 😚
Thanks for 5k reads btw🤭

Till the next chapter ✌
👩‍🦯

PS, who likes the new cover?😃

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 1K 50
Completed on the 12th of February 2022 ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• "You must have mistaken me for someone else, I'm not l...
23.6K 4.1K 83
"What's happening?, why are they taking you away? Say something already!! Please say something" I broke down in hot tears as I dragged him trying to...
129K 27K 42
BEING A TEEN SERIES: THAT GUY (BOOK 1) Every single teenage girl fantasizes. And most times they fantasize about the same thing. About THAT GUY. TH...
46.5K 10.7K 37
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL "You have got your tities out and panties in a twist but your crush doesn't still notice you." Ore is a sixteen-year-old unde...