The Final Goodbye © By: J.L...

By jljacobs

Grab a box of tissues, your favorite beverage, and get ready to read the emotional journey of Sophia Lancaste... More

Synopsis of: The Final Goodbye
Chapter One: Love Hurts
Chapter Two: Could it be Fate?
Chapter Three: Confrontations and Preparations
Chapter Four: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
Chapter Six: To New Beginnings
Chapter Seven: Moving Forward
Chapter Eight: Mistakes
Chapter Nine: Back Home
Chapter Ten: Concessions
Chapter Eleven: Blood, Sweat, and Tears
Chapter Twelve: New Discoveries
Chapter Thirteen: Secrets
Chapter Fourteen: The Bad News
Chapter Fifteen: Love Blossoms
Chapter Sixteen: Insights and Delights
Chapter Seventeen: Back at the Ranch
Chapter Eighteen: Expect the Unexpected
Chapter Nineteen: Secrets Exposed
Chapter Twenty: Reunited
Chapter Twenty-One: That Damned Can of Worms
Chapter Twenty-Two: Hormones
Chapter Twenty-Three: Resolutions
Chapter Twenty-Four: Drama
Chapter Twenty-Five: Assumptions
Chapter Twenty-Six: Desperation
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Renewal
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Togetherness
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Breathless
Chapter Thirty: The Final Goodbye
Synopsis of the Sequel: The First Hello © 2015

Chapter Five: The Journey South

11K 548 33
By jljacobs

Chapter Five: The Journey South

   The train would be nearing her final destination soon, Forrest Park Station, located in the heart of Dallas County. It was one of the major hubs where the Texas and Pacific Railway trains made frequent stops.

     I cannot get off this dreadful train soon enough!

All though the first-class passenger section had beautifully appointed decorations, plush seating, and the food was surprisingly good, the compact and very humid compartments kept Sophia covered in a constant layer of dust-covered sweat the entire ten-day journey. It had not been pleasant at all. She probably didn't smell very pleasant either.

     I have never felt so dirty in all my life! Oh how I long for a good soak in a bathing tub!

Because of the heat, many windows on the train were opened and it brought in lots of dust that seemed to cover her body and stick to the layer of sweat. She did have a personal compartment to sleep in at night which contained a small bed with built-in drawers underneath it to store items or clothing in. Next to the bed on the other side there was a small writing desk attached to the wall that could be unlatched and pulled down when it was needed.

The cramped quarters contained one tiny window, when opened, provided very little relief from the unrelenting heat. The one exception was at night when the temperatures dropped just low enough to make it less humid.

Luckily, she had the room all to herself since she was a first class passenger, all thanks to the generosity of her father, whom had upgraded her ticket at some point prior to her leaving the train depot in Wellington.

Other passengers who were not in first class had small compartments like herself with the exception that each one held two bunked beds with a very thin mattress that were stacked vertically. There was one set of these bunk-style beds on each wall where four passengers had to share one tiny room. In many cases, they were used by the servants of passengers who stayed in the first-class compartments.

Sophia was thankful for her father's foresight, and his kind gesture of upgrading her ticket. Had that not happened there was a high chance she might have gone mad after the first night or two and would have went right back to Wellington. Traveling by train was torture for such a long period of time. Ten days on one felt like an eternity!

     How do four people manage to share one room? Lordy! Maybe this just proves that I was spoiled growing up.

Sophia made a mental note to thank her Father for this kindness when she arrived. Her father's experience of having taken the train before on long journeys came in handy.

During the monotonous train ride, there had been ample time to read the books she'd brought on basic homemaking, cooking, child rearing and even some gossip rags. Some of those she had bought for herself, and a couple Nellie had given to her as a gift. Nellie had also given her a blank leather-bound book, telling her to keep a journal about her experiences and new life. Not one who was ever big on writing, Sophia thanked Nellie for her kindness but never planned to use the journal.

That is, until her boredom got the best of her only a couple days into the trip.

Sophia began writing in it just to have something to do. It took some time to get acclimated to writing while the train was speeding down its tracks, but she got the hang of it after some minor mishaps.

Her first entry had been on Independence Day when not only her boredom got the best of her, but also her loneliness and the fact that she was already very homesick. She continued to write in it very often from that point on, and it actually made her feel a little bit better. She learned that keeping a journal wasn't as tedious as she had envisioned it to be and wished she had done this long before. She should have known that Nellie wouldn't idly spend her wages on such a luxurious purchase if she didn't think it would be useful to her.

July 4, 1890

Nellie gave me this journal. I honestly never planned on using it, but I am so dreadfully bored on this god forsaken train! I feel like I have spent months on here instead of only a few days.

I've been covered in a constant layer of sweat and dust and I crave a much needed bath; not only to cleanse myself and give my hair a thorough washing, but to also soak in to help ease my aching body. I pray to the Almighty that Travis Ewing has a bathing tub in his home. Surely he does?

Today I cannot help but to think of home as it's July fourth. Wellington has had a long-time tradition since its founding days of having an early morning parade, followed by an all day festival, in celebration of our Nation's independence. I know that right about now, Rachel is working at the lemonade stand and probably cursing me out in her head for me not being there with her. I cannot say I blame her. I also do not miss working that booth one bit!

- S.A. Lancaster

#

July 5, 1890

Just this morning the train made yet another stop. I don't even know which city it was in because the conductor announced that we would be staying for several hours so the train could get worked on. I didn't pay much attention to the details because once I heard him say the words "several hours", I instantly knew we'd be allowed enough time to visit whatever city this was, as many passengers may have done.

Not me, however.

The first thing I did was to take a long, blissful, bath which I ordered from the local saloon. I felt like I was in heaven for that short amount of time! Then, earlier this afternoon, I boarded this dreadful train again and two hours later I was sweaty and covered in a layer of dust again. But for several hours I was clean and feeling so refreshed. It's hard to believe I took little things like bathing for granted. I won't be making that mistake again!

-S. A. Lancaster

#

July 8, 1890

I was called "hoity toity" during the dinner service tonight. A gentleman asked if he could sit with me at my dining table and I politely declined him. I have been keeping to myself while on this train because I was warned by Father that I shouldn't trust strangers when traveling alone. So, I told the gentleman "I appreciate your offer but I must politely decline." He then called me that name. I have never heard before that in my life. Thankfully he sat somewhere else.

Hoity toity... what does that even mean? I must ask Travis Ewing about that if I can remember to. Since he lives in the South, he more than likely knows and can tell me. We're technically in the South now; maybe they speak differently than Northerners do. They sure do have different accents too, which sounded a little strange to me at first.

I have been reading the "Basics of Cooking" book and I seem to be gaining a general understanding of certain things. But it's talking about things like needing measuring cups for certain ingredients and the only cups I have ever heard of were drinking cups. How will I know which one to use? For example, in one recipe it says to use a one-cup measuring cup for one ingredient. Then with another it says to use a one-fourth cup. That truly confuses me.

Perhaps the one-cup is a regular drinking glass and the one-fourth cup is a teacup? There are all kinds of other weird looking things called utensils that I will have to use, and they show illustrations of each. Many look like odd weapons.

I sure wish I had taken Nellie up on her offer to teach me how to cook all those times over the years. Now I just feel like some spoiled brat who cannot fend for herself in the kitchen. Lordy, Lordy. I sure hope I can manage how to learn to do this on my own! Otherwise, it will be my goose that's cooked, not me cooking a goose!

-S. A. Lancaster

#

July 9, 1890

One more day until I reach Dallas County. I'm getting more and more nervous the closer I get to my destination. I have decided that if I see this man, Travis Ewing that is, and he's some old degenerate then I am getting right back on here and heading back to Wellington! Speaking of this train, if that does happen, I swear I shall never step foot on another one as long as I live. I bet it's not so bad in the winter months when the sun isn't blazing hot and you don't have to open windows. That would eliminate two problems I am having with this trip at once. #1: I won't be covered in sweat at all time. #2: I won't be covered in dusty dirt that sticks to my sweaty skin at all time.

- S. A. Lancaster

#

July 10, 1890

Today is the big day. I didn't sleep a wink! There was a couple in the compartment next to mine who boarded the train that morning. They were making these weird noises all night long and there was this thumping sound on and off during the night that was hitting against the dividing wall between our compartments.

When the thumping noises were going on it sounded like the woman was moaning like she was in some sort of distress or something. I have never been so scared in my entire life! What if she was being tortured slowly only to be found murdered? I just kept thinking he'd come to my compartment next, so I made sure my door was locked. But that poor woman! I often heard her calling out to God. She was saying, "Oh God! Oh God, OOOOOHHH GOD!" Then the man would tell her get up and bend over. Seconds later I heard this constant smacking sound and the woman kept on moaning loudly. I heard the man say to her, "You're such a naughty girl!" Then the woman called out, "Yes, yes I have been! Punish me!"

Was he spanking her like a child? And if he was, it must have been very painful considering how loudly she was moaning. Then begging for him to punish her? Who begs a man to punish them like that? Certainly not I! So I lay there all night long, worried for that poor woman and scared for my own safety. Surely I wasn't the only one to hear all of that take place. The walls are thin after all.

As it turns out, I saw the same couple during breakfast this morning and they looked quite happy, and, dare I say it, in love! She was smiling at him and they were holding hands talking to each other until their breakfast order arrived. They were so wrapped up in each other that they never once noticed me staring at them.

I looked closely but didn't see one mark on her body to prove that he had been hurting her. You'd think there would have been bruises all over her from all the noises I heard last night! I can't seem to wrap my head around it especially seeing her look so happy. I just don't understand.

Perhaps all the bruises are in places that her dress (which is quite lovely I might add) covers up? That still doesn't explain her very pleasant demeanor this morning. Unless.... perhaps she's a kidnapping victim being held for ransom and he told her he would kill her unless she pretended to be happy? That scenario seems to make more sense. So instead of breaking my own fast, I was too worried about that poor woman to eat.

Worried for that woman, I got up from my table and pulled aside one of the nearest servers. I chose to speak with a woman instead of one of the men, and I proceeded to explain the whole story of what had occurred last night, sparing none of the details.

Instead of being alarmed, the server asked me if I was married. I told her no, and asked what that had to do with anything? She said once I was married I would understand the situation much better, then laughed and walked away from me! I stood there for a moment feeling dumbfounded.

Is she implying that when you get married it's perfectly normal for a man to torture a woman like that? If so, and Travis Ewing is that type of a man who will hurt a woman, then I will be going home, no doubt about it! I know not all men are like that as Rachel, Maybelle, and even my Mother have never once complained of being hurt, nor did any of them ever have marks or bruises to prove they were. I am also pretty sure that Maybelle and Rachel would have confided in me if their husbands were abusive. So, I am certain that not all men hurt their wives. That poor, poor woman. She's obviously not one of the lucky ones and I truly feel bad for her.

Let's just hope I am one of the lucky ones. Lastly, why did that waitress laugh at me? Doesn't she care about the fact that one of her passengers was being harmed by her husband? Now I am just scared about getting married in general. Which could be today or tomorrow. What have I gotten myself into? Oh God... (no pun intended)!

- S. A. Lancaster

#

   Yes, her journal writing did help to pass the monotony. But with the train moving at all times, the ink from the ink-well would oftentimes spill, causing droplets to fall on her journal pages and the small writing desk in her compartment. Cleaning it up was easy enough on the writing desk, but those ink blots on her journal pages were another matter entirely. They weren't going anywhere.

When Sophia wasn't reading, looking at the magazines she had read through about nine times already, and writing in her journal, fears and worries tended to get the best of her. She was also plagued by that pesky pain in her abdomen every so often. She would have to make it a point to visit with a physician sometime soon to get it checked out. As if she needing anything else to worry about.

She felt on edge and quite lonely during the entire trip; truly regretting leaving her home, family, and basically everything she had ever known in order to make a very rash decision by agreeing to marry a man she had never met and knew nothing about.

     What was I thinking by agreeing to such an arrangement? Am I that desperate?

Then she would think of Jeremy, and the pain of all that had happened since the day he chose Angelique over her, and her resolve would come back stronger than ever.

     Yes, I suppose I am.

Then there was Travis to wonder about.

     Is he a good man? What happened to his first wife? Did she die? Hopefully he hadn't killed her!

Instantly, the things she heard the night before from the room next to hers came to mind as she conjured up vivid images to accompany the sounds she had heard.

     Maybe Travis was doing those same things to his wife, went too far, and killed her!

So many unsettling thoughts and nothing but time to think about them. She was truly frightened by this point. It didn't help that the mugginess from the small rooms on the train kept her uncomfortably warm either. Or the fact she hadn't slept a wink last night, then missed breaking her fast this morning, which was her own fault.

It was now luncheon time. Like all meals since she boarded the train, she sat alone and kept to herself.

     "Pardon me, I don't mean to disturb ya or be so forward-like." A female voice said in a soft southern drawl.

Sophia looked up from her meal of a simple beef soup and a slice of bread, then put down the book she was reading to meet the blue-eyed gaze of a very petite woman who looked to be in her early twenties.

The woman continued, "I noticed that ya seem to be traveling alone unless ya have a chaperone or servant with ya. I wondered if ya'd mind terribly if I sat down with ya to dine? I'm traveling alone and could use the company."

Her blue eyes twinkled merrily. Sophia oddly felt instantly at ease with this woman. She smiled and nodded her head.

     "My name is Elsie. Elsie May Prescott."

Sophia replied, "Sophia Lancaster. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

     "I boarded from Abilene two days ago and I've noticed since that ya are always dining alone so I figured I would ask to sit with ya today. I am so thankful to have someone to converse with finally."

Sophia noticed that Elsie was wearing a very plain, but stylish, dress of light blue with a white and darker blue checkered pattern. It was belted at the waist which made her already very tiny frame look even smaller. The dress was made of a light-weight material, much like Sophia's own, to help combat the unbearable heat. No hat adorned her head of dark brown hair that was almost black. Sophia scrutinized Elsie's appearance even closer; at a first glance she seemed quite plain looking. But now that she was sitting directly across from her, Sophia determined that she was quite an attractive woman. Her eyes were a very light shade of pale blue that positively sparkled. She had fine porcelain skin and a cheerful disposition. Given from her soft-spoken accent, she was clearly from somewhere in the South.

     Yes, she is quite pretty indeed.

When a server came up to the table to take Elsie's order, she requested a simple garden salad and a glass of sweet tea. After the server walked away, Elsie began to talk at once while Sophia ate her own food.

     "My, it's so positively warm in here, and dare I say, even a little claustrophobic!" She chuckled, fanning herself with one of her small, dainty hands. "Where are ya headed to if I might inquire?"

     "Turtle Creek in Dallas County."

Elise literally squealed in delight and gave a little bounce of her bum on the velveteen seat, "I'm headed to Dallas myself. I live there. Turtle Creek isn't far at all. Just a short carriage ride away. Much better than taking a dratted train. My how I hate these things!"

Sophia laughed, understanding completely.

Elsie crinkled her nose as a thought came to her. "Turtle Creek is a resort area now. You must be heading to Exall Lakes to see the springs?"

Sophia shook her head, "Actually, I am a mail-order bride and my soon-to-be husband lives in Turtle Creek."

Elsie nodded her head thoughtfully. "Beg my pardon Miss Lancaster, but he must live closer to Dallas proper, or somewhere in between, as Turtle Creek isn't much other than a resort area now. There are no land owners left except Henry Exall. 

Well, him and Mister Ewing. He was the only one of the many landowners who refused to sell when Henry Exall came in to buy up all the land for his beautification project ---"

Sophia cut Elsie off mid-sentence. "When you say Mister Ewing, do you mean Travis Ewing?"

     "Why yes, Ma'am, that's him. The one and only. Why do ya ask? Are ya acquainted with Mister Ewing?"

     "That's who I am to marry!"

Elsie's eyes opened wide with surprise and utter shock.

     "Well ya don't say!" She exclaimed, "Why, I had no idea Travis Ewing was even in the market for a new bride! His wife, Rebecca, died a few years back from childbirth complications. The baby, a little girl, didn't make it either. Poor Missus Ewing lost too much blood. I heard that the doctor could have saved them both if he hadn't shown up so inebriated."

Sophia listened with rapt attention while Elsie prattled on.

     "I also heard that Travis Ewing gave Doctor Folsom quite the beat down afterwards. He took the death of his wife and baby girl pretty hard and blamed their deaths on him. I feel for Mister Ewing and those little kids, I really do."

Elsie stopped for a brief moment to take a large sip of the sweet tea the server set down before her, then continued on without a hitch.

     "What a tragic loss it was for them. I knew Missus Ewing fairly well since we ran in the same social circles and all. She was such a beauty and very well respected in Dallas society. We all miss her dearly."

     Maybe my future husband isn't an abusive man after all, and he certainly wasn't the cause of his wife's death. Rebecca. What a pretty name. It seems as if Elsie really likes and respects the Ewing family. I wonder how well she knows them and if I can get her to tell me more?

Sophia felt a pang in her stomach after hearing about the reason for the loss of Travis's wife and baby. What a sad story.

     "Oh please tell me about the children and everything you know about Travis! I know next to nothing of them and I am dying of curiosity!"

Elsie was downright intrigued by this turn of events. She had no inkling that Travis Ewing had been seeking a new bride... and a mail-order one at that?

With all the Dallas beauties there was for him to choose from, it just seemed so bewildering to her that he would go about getting married again in such an odd way. Elsie was more than willing to dole out what she knew of him because, in turn, she would also obtain information from the future Missus Ewing. How delightful it was knowing that she was the very first person to have made her acquaintance!

     "Well Miss Lancaster, I first met-"

     "Please, call me Sophia."

     "Very well then... Sophia. Ya must call me Elsie then. I did always hate having to adhere to such formalities. I am glad ya aren't a stickler for them."

Sophia giggled. She was liking Elsie Prescott more and more.

     Perhaps we are kindred spirits?

     "I feel the same Elsie. I am sorry for the interruption. Do go on."

     "I know that Mister Ewing, er, Travis in his early thirties, and he's such a devilishly handsome fella. Tall, muscular, has a thick head of gorgeous dark brown hair. His eyes are a light color; I cannot recall what shade exactly. He inherited The Ewing Ranch upon the death of his father many years ago. But when his father was still alive, it was a cotton farm for many decades before that. His father fell ill, so Travis took over for him. He must have had a keen eye or something because even against his father's protests, Travis planted the fields with tall grass in order to start a longhorn cattle ranch enterprise. His father passed away not too long after that, and Travis inherited everything his father owned. He was able to provide a good life for Rebecca and their children. Good enough of one that she was very active in the Dallas social circles and that's how her and I met and became good friends."

Elsie paused to take another sip of her tea while Sophia sat there digesting the information that her new acquaintance was giving her.

     "Everyone thought Travis was crazy to stop growing cotton like his daddy did. But it seems he knew what he was doing. As it turned out, the farming industry here in Texas had taken a turn for the worse. Farmers from all over the state racked up debts and charges with their local merchants, then were forced to use what little profits they had from their crops in order to pay their debts. Some farmers never even made any profits, so their land was seized to pay back their debts. But not Travis. No, he was one of the lucky ones who had very profitable returns on his cattle enterprise. I don't know exactly all the details on how it all works and most of this is information I heard from my own daddy who was a farmer for most of his life."

     My future husband seems to be such an admirable man and a smart one at that. Elsie Prescott sure is singing his praises. I suppose I am lucky to have been selected as his bride. Surely, I could be much worse off.

     "Travis's keen eye for making money caught the attention of my daddy who then began his own ranching business about two years ago. It's still new but he's already making profits unlike when he was farming. My daddy highly respects Travis Ewing. That is one thing I am certain of. As a matter of fact, if he had known that Mister Ewing was in the market for a bride, I am sure my daddy would have pushed me his way. Truth be told, I wouldn't have minded one bit! I still cannot believe he wants a mail-order-bride."

     Huh. Very interesting. According to Elsie, he's a great catch for any woman. So why does he want a mail-order-bride? What made him pick me? He could have courted a woman he knew. He never even asked me to send a photograph of myself. How strange this whole situation is.

     "Elsie, what can you tell me about his children?"

     "I don't know a whole lot about them to be completely honest. His youngest child is a girl and she looks to be around four or five years of age. Then there is his son who is the oldest child. I believe his name is Mikey. I am not sure on his daughter's name. But Mikey has to be around six or seven years of age. Well, then there was the baby that died.

Both of them seem like well-behaved children for the most part. I heard that after the death of their Ma a few years back they both took it pretty hard. That's why Missus Cox stepped in to help Mister Ewing out."

     "Who is Missus Cox?"

     "She's the wife of the ranch's cook. Longtime friends of the Ewing family from what I know."

Sophia smiled, "All this information is so helpful. But it will take me some time to get all the names right. You are such a big help to me. If I am being honest, I have been scared for the last month over coming here not knowing a lick about him. You are putting some of my fears at ease."

     "Sophia, let me just tell ya that you're very lucky to have landed him as your future husband. Like I said before, if I knew he was looking for a wife, I may have turned my attention in his direction. He is an upstanding man and very pleasing to the eye. I am sure you will both be very happy."

     I sure hope she's right! But I have not been honest with him and once he finds that out, I fear he will send me packing. Oh hells fire, why didn't I write and confess the truth?

The two women continued to talk while getting to know one another better over the next two hours until they were interrupted by one of the train workers telling them they would be arriving in Dallas soon and should head back to their compartments to pack up whatever belongings they had.

     "I am so pleased to have made your acquaintance Elsie. I sure hope we can keep in touch with one another. Except for you, I know no one. I would like it very much if we could become friends."

     "Sophia, I completely agree. I shall call on ya at the Ranch after ya get yourself settled in. Perhaps next week if that's agreeable?"

     "Next week sounds perfect!"

She was genuinely glad to have made a friend.

#

   Thirty minutes later, Sophia sat anxiously in her compartment with her traveling reticule all packed up. The train had stopped several minutes ago and the passengers who were supposed to get off at the Forrest Park Station were now allowed de-board the train while the workers were busy unloading their luggage and crates from the storage compartment.

Sophia looked down at her trembling hands still feeling a degree of trepidation even though Elsie Prescott had told her a lot about her new family.

But now it was time to go and she would not be missing this train one bit! She stood up from the bed and smoothed away some of the wrinkles in her dress as best as she could. She had already pinned the matching hat to her hair and was all set to go.

     It is time. Standing somewhere outside is my future groom and possibly even his children. My soon-to-be stepchildren. Hells fire, I am going to be a wife and a mother! Please God, if you can hear me, let everything go smoothly. Please. I'm so scared right now. I don't want to be a disappointment.

Outside her private compartment she could hear the footsteps and voices of the other travelers who were shuffling by in order to get off the train. Taking a deep breath to help calm her nerves, she grabbed her traveling reticule and took one last look around the cramped room she had been occupying for the last ten days. Ten days that had felt like a month! She opened the door and headed out, following the other passengers to the nearest exit where she stepped off onto a broad wooden platform that was crowded with people. The very first thing she noticed was the heat of the summer day. It wasn't the heat like back in Ohio where it was muggy. It was more of a dry heat and scorching hot.

     Oh wow. This is a much bigger train station than the one in Wellington. There must be over sixty people just on the platform. How am I to know who Travis Ewing is? He won't even know how to spot me either! This is madness!

The sun was shining brightly in the large blue sky which was dotted with perfect, white puffy clouds. The air was still dusty from the train making its stop, and that dusty air seemed determined to make a home on her already sweaty dress and skin.

     Just lovely! It figures... the first time Travis sets his eyes upon me I will look a mess.

     "I think that sign over there is for ya Sophia."

Sophia quickly turned around to see Elsie's smiling face. Out in the sunshine her blue eyes stood out as they twinkled. She looked fresh as a daisy, and how that was even possible given that they were both on that same train where the dust was her nemesis boggled Sophia's mind. Elsie pointed towards a man who held a small chalkboard in his hand. The name on it read: Miss Sophia Lancaster.

Elsie gave Sophia a quick, friendly hug. "I told ya I would call on ya soon! Don't let them nerves of yours get the best of ya. Oh, and good luck with the wedding!"

As Elsie walked away, Sophia smiled and waved goodbye to her one and only friend in Texas thus far. She stood there for a moment, unable to move quite yet. The heat was intense; much, much hotter than what she was used to experiencing in Wellington. There was just enough of a breeze that blew dirt from the road, and if it was even possible, more of it collected on her where it made a home. She felt hideous, and certainly unprepared to meet the man she would call husband for the rest of her life. Well, given that things worked out for the best.

She looked over at the man holding the chalkboard that bore her name on it. He was much older with white hair that peeked out from under his dusty cowboy hat.

He wore a red flannel shirt, even in this heat, with a leather vest over it and blue jeans with a buckled belt. His cowboy boots were made of brown leather and looked well-worn.

He was completely covered in dust and dirt over his wrinkled skin which was so tanned that it almost looked like hide leather. He just seemed... pretty dirty in general as if he hadn't bathed in over a decade. But then again, here she was calling the kettle black while she was the pot. She wasn't exactly clean either.

He was looking at all of the passengers with keen eyes as they walked to and fro around him, and then caught her own eyes a few moments later. They stared at each other briefly until Sophia summoned up her courage to walk over.

     "I am Miss S-Sophia Lancaster."

The old man sized her up from head to toe, very slowly, which made her squirm under his scrutiny. There was a look of appreciation in his eyes when he finally looked back into her own. It seemed like an eternity before he finally spoke up.

     "The boss will sure be mighty pleased. Mighty pleased. Wooo weee, ya'll sure are a perty little thang ain't ya!" His voice was gravely and had a southern drawl like Elsie's, except that his accent was more pronounced.

When he smiled at her, she noticed some of his teeth were missing while the other ones were brown and rotted. The left side of his cheek was puffed out from a wad of chewing tobacco that was nestled there. She knew that for a fact because many of the farmers back in Wellington liked chewing tobacco. It was a staple at The Bowlby and Hall Grocers store back home.

     "Thank you for your compliment, um, Mister? I'm sorry, what is your name?"

     "Oy!" he laughed, "I'm Gerald Cox. Everyone calls me Gerry. Ya can too. I work fer Mister Ewing Ma'am, and I'm to escort ya to the hotel to git yerself cleaned up. The boss told me he thinks ya'd likely be wantin' that after such a long trip 'n all. He also said there'd be a hot meal delivered to yer room. In the meantime, I'll have some of the other fellars from the ranch load up that wagon over there with all yer belongings and git them transported over to the ranch."

He spat out some dark brown chew spit to the ground which revolted her. Her already painful abdomen was now consumed with nausea, and the scorching hot sun did nothing to help with the problem.

     How rude! Obviously this Mister Cox man has no care for a woman's delicate nature nor any manners! Perhaps Travis is the same way? Oh hells fire, what would I do then? I could never kiss a man with that, that, that gross stuff lingering in his mouth. Ugh!

    "Let's git a move on Ma'am."

She followed Mr. Cox while taking in the sights of Dallas. Just from the train station she could see that it was a much, much bigger city than her hometown. There were buildings lining both sides of the street, most of them being as much as four or five stories tall! There were people everywhere going to and from wherever they were headed. The dusty dirt-packed street was lined with wagons, horses with single riders, and carriages going in two different directions. Dallas seemed to be such a bustling and busy city and Sophia was utterly amazed.

Mr. Cox continued walking at a surprisingly fast pace (considering his age) for several minutes, with Sophia scuttling along trying to keep up, until he stopped in front of an impressive grand-looking building.

     It's so magnificent!

The outside was cream-colored brick and stone and it stood over four stories tall. There were windows running all along the entire building which glinted like diamonds from the sun shining its rays down upon them. Sophia sucked in her breath at the sight of this beautiful example of architecture that she instantly admired and loved.

     "Here we are Ma'am. This is where yer room is."

     "Mister Cox, what is this place called?"

     "Oy!" he said, "Pardon me, I didn't even think to tell ya. This here is the Windsor Hotel and I'm sure ya will be mighty pleased. It's one of the finest hotels in all the dag gone south! Well, except fer perhaps that new Oak Cliff one that is opening tonight. The boss tried to find ya a room there but they were all booked up. There's to be a splendid grand opening gala this evening."

     Mister Cox is right. This sure is such a splendid looking hotel and I haven't even been inside it yet! Every time I have visited Cleveland, Ohio, I was always in awe of that city. But Dallas, well, it sure makes Cleveland pale in comparison! And look at all the shops! So many of them just everywhere! Mother would love it here!

Just thinking of her mother made a tear slip from her eye. Sophia quickly brushed it away as she followed Mr. Cox inside the large glass doors. Her mouth opened in shock! The inside was even more beautiful than the outside and that said something. It was enormous and had shiny marble flooring covered in intervals with very plush, and expensive-looking, exotic oriental carpeting. There were large crystal chandeliers running the whole width of the lobby and the grandest pair of staircases she had ever set eyes on. If she had to pick one word for this hotel it would have been opulent.

Mr. Cox proceeded to walk up one of the staircases with Sophia trailing not far behind. They were covered in a carpet runner of the finest material and it was so plush that she wanted nothing more than to walk on it in her bare feet. But of course, that would be unheard of!

He led her to the second floor, then down a long hallway until he stopped in front of one of the hand carved wooden doors. The number engraved on it read: 224.

Mr. Cox opened the door for her using a key had taken out of his pocket. He handed her the key and gestured for her to walk inside. Before shutting the door he told her, "The Boss will give ya a few hours to freshen yerself up and eat a meal before ya'll go to the courthouse to git hitched."

     "Hitched?" Sophia questioned, not understanding the term other than when horses were hitched to posts which made no sense to her.

     "Married Ma'am."

He shut the door behind him with no further explanation.

     Hitched is getting married? Huh.

Sophia was exhausted from the trip, and yet found herself to be filled with a bit of excitement at seeing this large and booming city of Dallas. Just from the walk to the hotel from the train station she had seen so much. There was a lot of construction going on everywhere; some buildings were being expanded upwards as far as five to eight stories tall!

She then took notice of her room and it was indeed very nice. There was a large wooden armoire made of a dark cherry wood and it had bright brass accents on it where the handles and hinges were located. There were two large windows that had beautiful draperies covering them. The bed was large and beckoned to her. It looked so comfortable compared to the stiff cramped bed she had to sleep on during the train ride.

She noticed another door and when she opened it, was surprised to find a bathing room with a large claw-footed bathtub. There was a counter, also made of cherry wood, containing a deep sink. Above the sink was a mirror. In the rear portion of that bathing room sat a commode.

She delighted in finally being able to peel off her dirty clothing until she had nothing else on. Completely naked, she walked into the main room. Once her bare feet touched the plush carpeting she giggled. This was nothing like she had ever felt before. Her parents were very well off and even their carpeting could not compare to this! She had to tell her mother about it and suggest they get some installed in their house.

Reaching inside her traveling reticule she pulled out her rose-scented essence oil that she would use in the bath. Taking it with her, she went back into the bathing room and stood in front of the mirror to take down all the pins she had in her hair, took off her hat, then pulled out the remaining pins while putting them one by one on top of the counter next to the sink. Finally, once the last pin was out, she used her fingers to run them through her long hair.

The bathing tub beckoned. She walked over to it, turning the faucets on until she found the right temperature for the water, then put the plug stopper in the hole at the bottom of the tub to stop the water from draining. Several minutes later she slid into the welcoming warmth of the scented water and smiled.

#

END OF CHAPTER. PLEASE VOTE. THANK YOU!

*updated on 11/1/2019. Please vote and comment. I LOVE hearing feedback!!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.4K 2.9K 24
"Roses are red , violets are blue ...only if love was true .. !" These are the words she will often write down in her diary pages after pages. Durin...
1.2K 104 22
For the hopeless romantics like myself🤭(start might be a little slow but trust me it's worth it) Scared to feel, scared to love, scared to live. She...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

238K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
203K 5.7K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...