Ace of Spades βœ…

By Ferdeausee_

Copyright Β© 2023. All Rights Reserved. She exudes chaos, drawing it in like a moth to a flame. Everywhere sh... More

Author's Note + Aesthetics + Copyright
1; Cypher.
2; Hold the applause.
3; Things she never said.
4; Through the eyes of a child.
5; I was bored.
6; Mount Everest ain't got shit on me.
7; Little Miss Chaebol.
9; Ciao. Te Amo.
10; It's a siblings thing.
11; Black Diamond.
12; You Don't Know What It's Like.
13; You Follow the Rules. I make them.
14; With, or without you.
15; Baggage from the past.
16; Hate At First.
17; A sudden twist.
18; Who is she really?
19; You should see me in a crown.
20; Don't talk to me.
21; Don't do that.
22; Love to hate you.
23; That's Not How this Works.
24; Tears of Gold.
25; Denial is a river in Egypt.
26; Something called love.
27; Partners for life.
28; My plea to you.
29; Wicked.
30; Broken Hearts & Shattered Souls.
31; Too good to be true.
32; Power Over Me.
33; Love, a soul that cares.
34; Fall in love alone.
35; Finale: De Una Vez.
Final Author's Note

8; Beer, and bruised egos.

633 139 6
By Ferdeausee_

A Random Hangout, Abuja.

Rukayya stepped into the hangout in strides that one might mistake as a calculated one. She came to a halt after a few steps into it, her head swiveling as she tried to locate her partner, or more like, partners for the night.

When her gaze fell on the table of four, she blinked, clicking her tongue slightly as her expression morphed into a blank one. It was truly no different from the one she had when she arrived, she just did well to hide her irk towards being called out on a night she hoped to be free and away from those bunch of testosterone.

Apparently, she wouldn't get her wish answered-because as if feeling a gaze in that direction, one of the two males already present looked up-his eyes meeting hers. Isaac raised his hand up, and gestured for her to head over there.

She held his gaze for a few seconds more, as if weighing her options to see which is better-to turn around and ditch them at the last minute, or suck it up and just meet them since she's already there.

A sigh left past her slightly parted lips as she made up her mind; her feet carrying her over to the table. From what she could see, there were only a small number of people in the hangout, all with reasonable distance separating them. It gave enough privacy to talk about whatever one wants to without worrying about someone overhearing them.

She knew without a doubt that has to be the reason why they chose to go there of all places.

On reaching the table where the two others are, she dropped her bag on the table and settled on the chair beside one of them, crossing her legs in the process-her back leaned on the chair and her shoulders squared. Even in a sitting position, in a place that's meant for people to unwind, she still was adamant on holding up her strong image.

She worked too hard to get it, and she wasn't willing to let it go any time soon, if ever really.

"What's this about?" She breathed out, her gaze fixed on Isaac who sat opposite her.

The addressed man was seated with his back hunched forward, and holding what seemed to be a glass of beer in his hand. Swirling the tumbler, the liquid moved along with the ice there, the precipice from the cold coating the cup.

When he didn't give her a reply, she shifted her gaze to the man seated on the chair beside her. "Nameer?" She prodded, despite knowing she would hardly get one from him as well. She was better off taking her chances with Isaac than with him.

Nameer who was leaned back on his chair as well, legs spread apart slightly flicked his lazy, but cold eyes to her. He didn't say a thing, or make a move to do anything else-his expression did the talking. She was right, she wouldn't get anything out of him.

He made that official when he reached out his hand out to pick up a bottle of water that was on the table, and popping the cap open-his gaze no longer on either of the two.

"Who else?" Isaac finally spoke, lifting his gaze from the glass of beer to let it rest on the woman that has shifted her attention to him. When his eyes met hers, there was this look she had only seen a handful of times in it. "That criminal the Chief wants us to work with, of course."

Rukayya held his gaze for a few seconds, before she looked away for a brief second and shook her head lightly. "Don't tell me you were truly offended because a woman beat you." She rolled her eyes, sinking further in her seat. Her tone was laced with disbelief.

If that truly is it, then she wouldn't mind saying a few insulting words to his face. He never was a misogynist, so what changed now? Or was it because his ego was never bruised, and now that it has, he's showing his true color.

"Of course not." He outright denied, though something about his tone told her otherwise.

She let out a loud sigh, throwing another possibility. "Then is it because she insulted you?" She tried to quirk a brow, which worked only slightly since she has never mastered the art of it.

Something about the way Inaya did it effortlessly though stirred up her competitive side.

When Isaac didn't answer, and instead had that dark aura took over his expression, she got her answer there. He didn't allow her to speak though, because he was quick to speak up. "You saw the way she treated you as well. She has no respect for any of us." He shifted his gaze to Nameer when he said that.

The addressed man's gaze met his, and yet again, there was no reaction on his side whatsoever. One would even think he has no idea what's truly going on but truth be told, he's aware of it all. From the words voiced out, to even the subtlest action of them all.

He prefers to sit back and observe without saying anything unless when extremely necessary. They were all used to it at this point, having already worked with him for years.

"So?" Rukayya wanted him to go straight to the point. "We all know she has no respect for any one of us, and she isn't afraid to show it apparently." She clicked her tongue, then nodded as if coming to terms with something. "Chief has her back anyway. So, it's a given she thinks so highly of herself."

"Are we going to let her just waltz into our team and do what she wants because Chief is backing her up then?" Isaac wanted ways to send that woman out before things go far. He has a couple of ideas, but he would rather other's input as well.

She didn't say a word instantly-instead shifted her gaze to the empty seat beside his. "I take it you didn't invite Kamal because he seems to like her, huh?" It was understandable. Of the five of them, the said man has the best relationship with others. He was outgoing, unlike the rest of them.

Isaac clicked his tongue, a look of annoyance taking over his features. "He likes everyone." He muttered, then let out a scoff. "I couldn't invite him, not when he wouldn't agree with anything we'll say anything way."

"And Aadil?" She pushed on, despite knowing the answer already. "Why didn't you invite him as well?"

Isaac gave her a look that screamed whether she's kidding him by asking such. When he realized she was actually being serious, he huffed out a breath and pressed his lips together. "Since when has he accepted a single group outing invite?" Never, that's the answer. "Besides, it's pretty obvious he doesn't like her as well, so, there's that."

She folded her lips in, and nodded in agreement. Even she could never convince him, and that's something. He believes it's a waste of time, or so it seems. There's really no telling what's actually going through that head of his.

Isaac's eyes shifted to hers-judging from how they seemed slightly drowsy, he must've had quite a lot of drinks. No surprise there. He has always been quite a drunkard. Luckily for him, none of his team mates aren't in for that, obviously for religious sakes to begin with so they clean up any drunken mess he makes.

That to say doesn't mean they exactly love doing it. They try to keep him from doing so as much as they can. In that moment though, neither Rukayya nor Nameer said a word about it. It was obvious he wouldn't listen even if they try.

So, they allowed him to do whatever. He's a grown adult after all; plus, he seemed to have become better at tolerating it so that's something, perhaps. They still weren't on board with it though.

His grip on the tumbler remained stern; his eyes still holding hers when he spoke again. "What about you?" He questioned, his voice low. There was this dark aura that accompanied it, like the cloak of darkness that fell upon him and had it cocooned in its warmth. Suddenly, his dislike didn't look like simply disliking someone.

It looked much like hatred you have towards someone-a deep rooted one.

"What about me?" Inquired Ruks, her eyes slightly narrowed. She wasn't sure what to take his newfound hatred as. Is it a good thing, or a bad one? Normally, his dislike doesn't go beyond limits, but she wasn't so sure this time.

"Are you okay with having her on our team as well?" He knew the answer, but he needed to hear it from her to make sure he wasn't on this alone. "Do you think she fits in with all of us?"

The look she gave him screamed her wondering whether he was drunk already. "Don't make me laugh." She muttered, huffing out a breath as she rolled her eyes. Inclining back on her chair, she crossed her arms over her torso this time around. "And you know, if I were you, I'd stop worrying about her at this point."

"You sound a bit too confident there." His finger that was tapping the tumbler stopped, his frown deepened though there was a bit of mock in his tone.

It seemed she detected it as well, judging from the slight look of irritation that flicked across her features. Still, she ignored it. "Aadil doesn't like her either." She stated as a matter of fact. "If he says she's out, then she is."

"What if she changes his mind?"

"Impossible." She replied in a heartbeat, the confidence in her tone never wavering. Her posture screamed easiness, her head tilted back slightly.

He held her gaze for a few, lingering seconds before the corners of his lips suddenly tilted upwards. He threw his head back, a booming laughter escaping past his lips as if finding her words to be amusing.

She didn't falter in the slightest bit, she simply remained seated with that easy going expression, waiting for him to finish his one-man show. It took a bit longer than she wanted, but his laughter eventually came to an end-much to her liking.

His eyes met hers again, this time holding a certain glint she didn't quite understand. "You seemed to be underestimating her quite a lot." He was the one who Aadil asked to fetch information on the woman. It wouldn't surprise him if Aadil actually ends up agreeing to work with her.

Sure, everyone knows he's a stickler for the law-it was impossible to have him bend it even in the slightest bit. However, him asking for her information showed there's even the smallest bit of possibility of him agreeing.

Her works are impressive to be honest-way too clean despite not abiding by the law. If there's the slightest bit of chance he would bend those rules of his for someone, then it would be for someone as clean as her. She does her work efficiently-that's one of the things that annoying Isaac even more than he would like to admit.

Rukayya's chin jutted slightly subconsciously, her shoulders visibly tensing. There was something about Isaac's tone that didn't sit right with her. It seemed as though he knows something she doesn't. It wouldn't be surprising really. "What do you know about her that I don't?" Her words came out low, suspicion lacing it like a fine material.

He gave her a half shrug, throwing his head back as he chugged down the rest of the alcohol in the tumbler which burned his throat but still, he swallowed it down before dropping the glass on the table leaving a sound in its awake.

"You have to be more specific." His lips slanted upwards into a very fake smile. "I happen to know quite a lot as well."

"Is there any dirt on her?" Her eyes squinted slightly-that was the best she could think of as a reason for him acting that way. He tends to act like an arrogant jerk when he has the upper hand...and just maybe, he does this time around as well.

He's good for a reason. He truly was the best before he was recruited, and in Shuri as well, he remained on top. Till Inaya came crashing with no warnings whatsoever.

Sure, she has succeeded in making a fool out of him for six months, but is she truly the best? They couldn't really be sure until they see for certain, for themselves who is truly the best between those two.

Nameer who still remained seated quietly by the side tilted his head to the side slightly, after dropping the water bottle back on the table. It was hard to tell where exactly he belongs. But him being there meant he was on their side as well, right? He was also onboard to get that woman from being close to them.

She would only create problems for them. It's better to cut her off early so they could go on with their lives as they were. They are doing good with just that as well.

Isaac's smile widened, though there was nothing amusing about it-only a promise for wreaking havoc. "I'll find something-one that can't be refuted."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

225K 12.2K 104
⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ This story contains mature and explicit content. Reader's discretion is advised. ~~~~~~~~ "Father!!!" Asha woke up with her eyes wide a...
MARRED By Umm Najm

General Fiction

8.5K 1.2K 40
She was Intelligent, passionate and a natural care giver. At 26, Amanah Sa'eed was ready to take on the world as it came. As long as she pushed and p...
1.8K 96 18
Not every truth deserves to be brought to light. Especially, when it's a ticking time bomb. Eventually, shredding every piece of his life with it. Za...
29.5K 5.5K 35
|The Shodeindes: 2| Shalewa Shodeinde didn't expect her life to take this turn. It was all fairy tales. I mean, who gets so lucky to be married to th...