Casting Debbie

By 1rxtter_

[AU] Coming out is easier when you've got someone by your side. At least that's how the hyper-private Lou Mi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 5

154 4 0
By 1rxtter_

Debbie didn't want to get out of bed. She couldn't remember the last time she'd slept straight through until morning. It was eerily silent. No car alarms or garbage trucks or horns honking-the sounds that punctuated her memories of growing up in New York City. Not even the sound of gardeners, which seemed to be L.A.'s unique soundtrack. Just silence. Oh, and a bird chirping somewhere in the distance.

She'd left the privacy curtains open, giving her a view of the pool through the French doors. What a view to wake up to, she thought. She rolled over and checked her phone. The first thing she saw was a text from Lin.

We're at the hospital. Beverly & San Vincente. Get here as soon as you can.

What the fuck? She quickly typed a reply and then jumped in the shower. She'd planned on spending the day in her swimsuit while she caught up on her laundry. Everything was dirty. "Shit!"

What the hell was she going to wear? She got out of the shower and dug through her suitcase. The only clean thing she had was a blue, flowery skirt she'd yet to wear, mostly because she hated it. It was too high-waisted, but she'd brought it just in case...actually, she had no idea why she'd brought it. Shit.

She put on the skirt and a bra and went into the main house. She had no idea where Lou's bedroom was. She scanned the main floor and decided it had to be upstairs. She opened the first door and found what was obviously a guest room. It looked too sterile to actually be lived in. She closed that door and went to the next. Bingo.

Immediately drawn to the floor-to-ceiling windows on the far side of the room, Debbie pushed a white sheer curtain to the side and discovered a balcony with a breathtaking view of the ocean. She wanted to step out onto that balcony, but she stopped when she remembered she wasn't yet fully clothed. That, and she was expected to be at the hospital soon. She turned back around and scanned the room. The bed was made up, the feather duvet carefully tucked in at the ends. Huh. That seemed strange since as far as Debbie knew, Lou didn't have a live-in housekeeper. Were those hospital corners the work of Lou Miller herself? "God, she's tidy."

Debbie went into the bathroom. It smelled like Lou; soft vanilla-ish something or other, and it was just as tidy as the bedroom. The only thing sitting on the two-sink countertop was a toothbrush resting on a neatly folded white towel with the toothpaste tube evenly lined up next to it. On the other side of the room was a huge bathtub that Debbie eyed with envy, since it was a luxury few New Yorkers had.

She flipped the light switch on for the closet and the whole room lit up. "Holy shit!" Shoes were neatly stacked on special lighted shelves. The clothes seemed to be color coordinated and separated according to season. Jesus, Lou. OCD much?

She rifled haphazardly through a rack that seemed to be strictly summer blouses and found a short-sleeved white gypsy-style blouse. She quickly put it on and shrugged at herself in the mirror. It didn't look great with the skirt, but it would have to do. She looked at the rack again and noticed the mess she'd made. Most of the blouses had been pushed to one side and were no longer equally spaced. She tried to separate them but quickly gave up. "Aw, screw it." She didn't have the patience for such ridiculous perfection. Besides, it might do Lou some good to see a shirt or two askew.

She went back into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. No makeup. Wet hair. She opened a drawer and found more perfection. "Who the hell keeps their makeup drawer so organized?" She picked up a blush brush and ran it over her cheeks, then tied her long, wet hair up into a ponytail. Again, it would have to do.

***

Fucking traffic. By the time Debbie walked into the hospital, she was frazzled and hungry and in desperate need of a cup of coffee. She saw Lin sitting in the lobby and headed in his direction. "What happened?" she impatiently asked.

Lin took her by the arm and led her to the elevators. "Lou broke her arm this morning, mountain biking. It's pretty gruesome."

"Oh my God." Debbie stopped dead in her tracks.

Lin took her arm again and kept walking. "She's just come out of surgery and we have her on a private floor. I'm going to put out a statement in about an hour."

"Lin, you didn't need to call me down here to tell me the deal's off. It's cool. I get it." Debbie hadn't even unpacked yet, unless you counted all the clothes she'd tossed around looking for something clean to wear. God, if Lou saw her guesthouse right now, she'd be horrified. Actually, if Lou saw her own closet right now, she'd be even more horrified. Debbie suddenly felt like a kid whose mom was about to find out she'd broken the lamp.

"Our deal's not off," Lin said. "Not yet, anyway. I'm still going over our options, but we figured we better have you here for the show in case we decide to go forward with this."

"You can't be serious, Lin. She needs to focus on getting better, not on some fantasy you invented."

Lin held the elevator door open. "Oh, for God's sake, Debbie, it's a broken arm, not the end of the world. Just come up with me and we'll work it out. Trust me, she wants you here."

Debbie stared at him, not sure what to do. He motioned with his head for her to get in the elevator. Against her better judgment, she did.

***

Two hours later, Debbie was still sitting in the waiting room. Lin walked in and waved her over. "She'll see you now."

Three cups of bad hospital coffee, a dying phone battery, and an uncomfortable chair had made Debbie cranky. And on top of that, none of this made any sense. She got up and brushed past him, walking down the hall faster than necessary. "This is ridiculous. She has no business worrying about coming out of the damn closet right now."

Lin grabbed Debbie by the arm. "Slow down, honey, and if you don't mind keeping your voice down just a little, that would be great."

Debbie pulled her arm away. "I'm not your honey, Lin. And I thought you said this was a private floor."

"Private. Not empty."

Debbie stopped and took a deep breath. "Sorry. Where is she?"

Lin opened the door to Lou's room. "Just hear her out and then let me know your decision."

Debbie slowly walked into the room and stood at the foot of the bed. She put her hand over her mouth to stifle a gasp. Lou looked like hell. She had scratches on her face, a black eye, and a big friggin' cast on her arm that was being propped up with pillows. This wasn't good, and Debbie felt like an intruder. She took a few steps back, hoping to get out of there without being noticed, but Lou opened her eyes. Well, one eye. "Hi," Debbie said, giving her a little wave.

Lou motioned that she wanted Debbie to come closer with a very limp wave of her hand. Debbie stood at the side of the bed, gripping the safety bar. It was even worse up close. Lou's left eye was swollen shut and she had several nasty-looking bruises on her good arm. Debbie wasn't sure what to say. She swallowed hard and was about to make a joke to lighten the moment when Lou said. "Do I look as bad as your face says I look?"

"Worse," Debbie said, giving her a sympathetic smile.

"Fabulous." Lou pointed at the lighted x-ray on the wall with her thumb. "Check that out."

Debbie grimaced. "Oh my God! Is that your arm?"

"What's left of it," Lou slurred. "I hit sand and went head first over my bike, right onto a pile of boulders. Smashed my humerus. I'm lucky I didn't break my neck."

"I'm so sorry."

"Me too. Not the best timing."

Debbie reached out to touch Lou but pulled her hand back. "Look, I totally understand if you want to back out of our deal. My feelings won't be hurt at all."

Lou tried to laugh, but it came out as more of a drunk groan. "You have feelings?"

Debbie smirked. "Okay, I guess I deserved that."

Lou closed her eyes, a faint smile on her lips. "These drugs are fantastic. And that blouse looks better on you than it does on me."

Wow, she doesn't miss a thing. "I, um, I was going to do laundry today, but something came up. Hope you don't mind that I found something in your closet. I promise I didn't move anything."

"No, that's..." Lou's head slowly drooped to one side as she fell asleep mid-sentence.

Debbie plopped down into a chair and settled in to watch Lou sleep. She was pretty sure the drugs were the only reason she didn't get reamed for going through Lou's closet. She looked at the clock and then focused on her phone. She needed to start looking for auditions again. Surely Lou's family, her friends, the people closest to her would descend on her house, leaving no room for Debbie or this stupid plan. She groaned when her phone took its last breath and went dark.

***

"Hi, I'm Stephanie, Ms. Miller's nurse."

Debbie looked at the clock again. She'd been sitting there for half an hour. "Hi, Stephanie. I'm Lou's...I'm Debbie."

Stephanie administered more pain meds and ran down her checklist. "Everything looks good, so I'll be back in thirty minutes."

Debbie stood up. "You'll make sure she stays medicated, right? You won't let the meds wear off?"

"I only have two patients today, so it won't be a problem."

"Thank you. I watched my mom suffer."

Stephanie nodded her understanding. "I won't let that happen."

There really wasn't any reason for Debbie to stay, since Lou was so heavily medicated. And if there was one thing in this world Debbie hated, it was hospitals. Lou was in good hands. Except why were there goose bumps on her arms? Was she cold? Debbie glanced around, looking for another blanket. She found one, along with a set of sheets and a pillow sitting on a recliner. Oh, God. They didn't expect her to sleep the night here, did they?

Debbie unfolded the blanket enough to cover Lou's shoulders and arms.

"Thank you," Lou whispered, her one good eye barely opening enough to focus on Debbie.

Her throat sounded so dry, Debbie picked up the mug of water and rested the straw on Lou's lips. "Take a sip of water."

Lou took a couple of sips and immediately fell back to sleep again. Debbie set the mug down and stood motionless for a moment. She couldn't be here. It brought back too many bad memories of her mother, lying helpless in a hospital bed, slowly dying.

Lou wasn't dying. Debbie knew that. Still, it was too much. She wanted to say something. Some words of comfort. At least, a good-bye. But her own throat had dried up. "You'll be fine," she whispered, and then quickly left the room.

She went down to the cafeteria and poured herself a tall cup of coffee to take with her in the car. She wasn't about to go back into heavy traffic without one. She saw Lin sitting in a chair in the lobby as she was walking out. "She's too medicated to talk. I'll come back tomorrow," she told him without stopping.

Lin stood up. "Debbie, keep this under wraps, okay?"

Debbie stopped and turned around. She was angry that he'd forced her to be here when Lou was obviously in no condition to even talk, let alone make a major decision. "Jesus, Lin. We still have a contract. I'm pretty sure that covers broken arms. Besides, who am I going to tell?"

Lin put up his hands. "Just sit tight until we figure out the next step."

Debbie stepped into his personal space and lowered her voice. "If you're really as good as you say you are, you'll convince your client that this whole thing is a bad idea. Especially now."

Debbie walked away but Lin followed her. "It's a good idea, Debbie. Hell, it's an even better idea now. And it's not over, so get back on board and earn your money."

Money. Debbie definitely needed some of that. The first payment wasn't supposed to hit her account for three more days. She stopped just outside the door and pulled the keys to her new Range Rover out of her purse. She stared at them for a second and then at Lin. She needed this gig whether she liked it or not. "What do you need from me? And please don't tell me I have to sleep in that damn recliner all night." She put her hand on her hip and chided herself. It was a selfish thing to say out loud and she knew it. "Is that what you need? What Lou needs?"

"When you come to pick Lou up in a few days and take her home, wear something nice." Lin looked her up and down. "Nicer than this. There will be cameras."

Debbie looked down at her ill-fitting skirt and worn-out leather sandals. She made a mental note to find the business card Lou had given her with her stylist's phone number on it. Maybe it would be fun getting a new wardrobe. Maybe the stylist could give her a new attitude too. "Fine," she said. "Anything else?"

"Just be a good friend and drive her home in your fancy new car, okay?" He made little finger quotes around the word friend.

"Friend. Snazzy dresser. Got it." She headed toward her fancy new car and waved behind her. "Bye, Lin."

Debbie pulled into the driveway of her new home, the gate closing behind her, blocking out the whole world. She sat there for a moment, wondering how the hell she got here. She should be out there, getting in front of every casting director in town. Getting a name for herself in L.A.-not wasting precious time behind the walls of this mansion. Lou could wake up and decide exactly what she should decide-that this was a stupid plan concocted by her publicist and she should abandon it and fire him.

Debbie had it in writing, she reminded herself. An early termination bonus, plus the car. But Lou would have to be the one to terminate the contract, not her. That meant she'd be sticking around for at least a few more days, so she might as well enjoy it. "Swimming pool, here I come," she mumbled as she got out of the car.

After putting her laundry in the fanciest washing machine she'd ever seen, Debbie turned a lounge chair toward the sun and sank into it, sighing deeply as her head hit the soft cushion, determined to enjoy the sun before it got too low in the sky.

On the drive back up the hill, Debbie had taken note of the neighbors' homes. She couldn't really see the actual homes, just the tall walls and secured gates. From her viewpoint in the backyard, she couldn't see any houses or rooflines peeking through the trees. It was completely private. "Well, in that case..." She untied her bikini top and took it off, grinning at herself for being so brave.

She lay there for a few minutes, taking in the heat of the sun and enjoying the peace and quiet. After her morning of heavy traffic and the long wait at the hospital, it felt heavenly. Her phone rang, pulling her out of her reverie. "Shit," she said, looking at the caller ID. She quickly grabbed her top and tried to cover herself, as if the person calling could see her lying there, topless. "Hey, Danny."

"Hi, Deb. Just checking in. Any luck today?"

"Um...maybe." She got up and made her way into the guesthouse, throwing on a bathrobe. "It's always maybe with those people. Always, we'll get back to you."

"I know, but this might be different. I mean, it is different, but there's been a slight glitch, so I can't really confirm yet."

"I don't understand," her brother said, his voice tightening.

"I can't really say anything more yet. I signed a nondisclosure."

"Oh. Well, that sounds promising. I guess if you're sworn to secrecy, I'd better find something else to talk about." He paused. "How's the weather out there?"

Debbie laughed. "It's nice. Really nice." She figured it wouldn't hurt to start working on the cover story. "And I made a friend. Do you watch Jordan's Appeal? It's that law show on Thursday nights."

"Yeah, I've seen it once or twice."

Debbie smiled. Her professor brother hardly ever admitted to watching television. He wouldn't even admit to watching her soap opera, but somehow, he magically knew exactly what was happening on the show at any given moment. "Well, it's Lou Miller, the woman who plays Jordan Ellis. She's super nice. In fact, I'm staying at her place for a few days."

"You're kidding."

Debbie laughed. "Nope."

"She's almost as good an actress as my sister."

"Aww, thank you, Danny. I love you too."

"Lou Miller. Wow. Someday you'll have to introduce me."

Debbie missed her brother. She wanted to invite him right then and there to come out to L.A. but she wasn't sure what would happen in the next few days. "Maybe I'll bring her to New York sometime. I'm sure she'd love to meet my very smart, very handsome brother."

Her brother chuckled. "Okay, kid. I'm glad to hear you're staying with her. I worry about you staying in that hotel. It's not in the best neighborhood."

"Danny, we've been over this. First, you don't even know the neighborhoods in L.A. Second, I can take care of myself, so don't worry, okay?"

"It's my job as your big brother to worry, no matter how old you are. Get used to it. There's no woman good enough for my little sister, and there's no neighborhood safe enough." He chuckled at himself for a moment. "Oh! I've got to go. Class is starting soon. Take care, honey. Love you."

"Love you too, Danny. Bye."

Debbie went back outside and took off the bathrobe. She dipped her foot in the pool and then dove in, still topless. She came up out of the water for a breath and looked around again. There really wasn't anyplace in all of L.A. that would feel safer than Lou Miller's fortress. Her brother could rest easy. And so could she.

***

Debbie checked her watch. It was late. She walked up to the nurse's station. "I'm here to see Lou Miller."

"Your name?"

"Debbie Ocean."

The nurse looked at her clipboard. "Yes, you're on the list. I'll need to see your ID."

Thank God, Lin had put her on the list. After lounging by the pool and making herself a fabulous dinner of delivery pizza, the guilt had set in. So here Debbie was, back at the hospital. She signed in and slowly made her way to Lou's room, not even sure she was doing the right thing. Would Lou even want her there?

The room was dark, except for a dim light coming from the bathroom. Lou was whimpering in her sleep. Lacey leaned over the bed, trying to get a closer look. "Are you in pain?" she whispered.

Lou stilled and opened her eyes. Well, only one eye actually opened. "No," she whispered back. "Bad dream, I think."

Debbie went to the sink and wet down a washcloth with cold water. She dabbed Lou's sweaty forehead and red cheeks.

"Thank you," Lou whispered. "That feels good." She reached up and tried to touch her blackened eye. "Why won't my eye open?"

Debbie took her hand and held onto it. "You have a shiner. Don't touch it, okay?"

"A shiner? You sound like you're in West Side Story." Lou laughed, but it quickly turned into tears. "Oh, God. Really?"

"Hey, it's cool," Debbie said, giving Lou's hand a gentle squeeze. "You look like Rocky."

Lou opened her good eye wide, taking a long look at Debbie. "You're that woman."

"I beg your pardon?" Lou was heavily medicated, but did she really not recognize her?

"Yo, Debbie," Lou said, imitating Rocky. She smiled and closed her good eye. Within seconds, she was asleep again.

Debbie laughed under her breath as she sat on the edge of the bed, her hand still firmly wrapped around Lou's. She could let go, but Lou's hand felt cold, so she covered it with both of hers. Startled, she jumped when the nurse walked in. "Hi. I was just...um..." She gently set Lou's hand on her stomach and backed away from the bed. She didn't belong here. Not really. Someone else should be holding Lou's hand, not her. "She likes a cold washcloth," she blurted out in a loud whisper. "On her forehead. It...you know...soothes her."

The nurse nodded. "Okay. Maybe when she wakes up."

Debbie took a final look at Lou. She was resting peacefully. That was good. She could go back to the mansion now, and maybe get some guilt-free rest. "Take care," she whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.9K 2.9K 38
Theirs was a different kind of love; they had played their roles during the day, but at night, away from the press people, away from the blinding lig...
27.8K 1.5K 56
🚨 No silent readers allowed. 🚨 ⚠️ READ AT YOUR OWN RISK ⚠️ I held into your promise that you would give me your entire soul, but while you were pur...
110K 2.2K 42
- fluffy/smutty with Sandra Bullock & Cate Blanchett & Rooney Mara and their characters - NONE OF THESE ARE MINE - ALL OF THE STORIES ARE FROM AO3...
76.7K 3.7K 52
🚨 𝐍𝐨 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝. ⚠️ READ AT YOUR OWN RISK ⚠️ The kisses and the intoxicating touches linger like a sin - those sh...