Chapter 34

"Did you find her?"

Amita shook her head.

"Shit." Lou pinched the bridge of her nose and willed herself to calm down. The last scene didn't require much acting on her part, but she couldn't look as anxious as she felt. Debbie hadn't stayed like she'd asked her to, and she wasn't answering Lou's text messages. "Are they ready? What's the holdup?"

"Trouble with the cat. They're bringing in a different one." Amita eyed Lou's shaking hands. She sat down next to her and put her hand on her knee. "Maybe you could tell me what's really going on between you and Debbie?"

Lou stood up, needing space. She was wearing dark trousers, a turtleneck sweater and boots when it was seventy-five degrees outside. She wanted to rip the clothes off and go running naked through the lot, screaming at the top of her lungs, that's how wound up she was. She went to run her fingers through her loose hair, but Amita shouted, "AH! Don't ruin your hair!"

She was stuck there, helpless, and Debbie was probably getting on a flight to New York, since her scenes had been shot already. Debbie was done for the season but Lou still had at least three more days of work.

She had so much to say. So many apologies to make. So many hugs and kisses to give. So many professions of her love. Real love.

Was it too late?

She didn't know.

And it was killing her.

A loud knock on the door made them both jump. "We need you in five!" Someone shouted.

Amita stood up. "It looks like they found a cat."

"Amita?" Lou couldn't believe these words were about to come out of her mouth. "Can you drive me home tonight? I need..." Just say it. Let someone in. It's time. It's long overdue. Stop hiding. "I need to tell you everything."

***

"And action!"

The apartment door opened and Jordan quickly dropped the bouquet of flowers to her side, hiding them behind her back. "I'm sorry, I think I must have the wrong apartment."

"Jordan Ellis, right?" The woman picked up her cat, and that's when Jordan's eyes narrowed in on the beautiful gold watch on the woman's wrist.

"Cut! Okay, let's get a close-up of the cat and the watch." John stood behind Lou and helped her remove her overcoat. "All done for the day, kid."

Lou turned around and gave John a tight hug. She held on for longer than she normally would. "Thanks, John"

"It's gonna be a great ending to a great season, and this show isn't goin' anywhere."

Lou pulled away and nodded. "I know. Everyone killed it. We should have a nice cast party. Maybe at my house?"

John's mouth fell open. "I'd love to see your new digs. Debbie said you did an incredible job on the renovation."

Guilt tugged at Lou's heart. She'd kept everyone at a distance for so long. That needed to change. "I'll get Amita to plan something fun. We'll include the kids too. I have a huge pool that needs to be played in."

"Sounds fun!" Amita said, walking up to them and taking Lou's coat. "Let's go, hon. I've ordered some fabulous Indian food for dinner."

***

Amita twirled a lock of her brown curly hair as she paced barefoot by the pool. "That bitch!" she exclaimed for the third time. "I knew I didn't like her the minute I saw her at the funeral."

"Do you want to take these leftover samosas home to Asher?" Lou held up the plate.

Amita waved her off. "Nah, he hates Indian food."