Chapter 6

Lou read the last card and put it back in the envelope. Her hospital room was full of bouquets and balloons from the cast and crew, friends and acquaintances, and even a few fans. Her assistant, Amita, had stopped by several times, relaying everyone's messages of love and concern. She appreciated all of it, but she didn't want visitors and she'd told Amita so. Just keep everyone away, she'd told her. Maybe it was rude, but she just wanted to go home and regain some of her privacy. She felt vulnerable in this hospital room. Even though it was a private floor, anyone could get in if they really wanted to.

"Wow," Debbie exclaimed as she walked into the room. "It looks like someone bought out the florist downstairs."

Lou grinned from ear to ear. "You're certainly a sight for sore eyes." She motioned with her hand up and down Debbie's body. "Is all that for me?" It was obvious Debbie had taken some time in the mirror. Her hair was blown straight, she had soft "daytime" makeup on, and her white skinny jeans fit her like a glove, hugging her in all the right places.

"You know why I'm dressed up."

Lou tried to sit up a little bit, but she had no strength. "Actually, I don't even know why you're here. But you look fantastic."

Debbie furrowed her brow. "I'm taking you home. Lin asked me-oh my God, do you two even talk?"

"I've been a little under the weather the last few days. And high on cocaine, or whatever it is they've been shooting into my arm."

Debbie pulled up a chair and sat next to the bed. Her eyes scanned Lou's face. "You're looking a little better. Both eyes are working...sort of. And your color is back. How are you feeling?"

Lou didn't want to think about how torn up her face was. She hadn't looked in a mirror yet, but she knew it was bad just by the way Lin and Amita had looked at her. She knew one eye was black because Lin had referred to it as a shiner. She was pretty sure she'd had a dream about Debbie saying the same thing.

She could feel the small lacerations on her cheeks and forehead, probably from the prickly bushes she'd landed in. She figured she could look in the mirror and cry about it once she was back home. In the meantime, she wanted to turn her attention back to her fake girlfriend. "You look tan. Have you been sipping drinks poolside?"

Debbie glanced at her bare arms. "Maybe. And clothes shopping," she said with a shrug. "I'm a Kardashian now. It's what we do. That, and sunbathe naked in Lou Miller's backyard."

Lou's good eye widened in surprise. "No." Her mouth hung open for a second. "What about drones?" She hardly ever used her backyard, but being naked back there would absolutely never ever happen. With her luck, a drone would fly overhead and her tits would be plastered all over the internet within hours.

"Drones?" Debbie got a quizzical look on her face. "You think people fly drones over your house? Isn't that illegal?"

"You never know. Better safe than sorry."

"Well," Debbie wagged her eyebrows, "they've had a great show the last few days."

Lou smiled. Debbie seemed more relaxed. Maybe even...happy. "Did you say you're taking me home?"

"Yes. I got a text from Lin."

Lou let her eyes wander down Debbie's body. The first two buttons on the sleeveless black silk blouse were undone, allowing a little bit of cleavage to show. "Will you be my nurse too?"

Debbie rolled her eyes and laughed. "Oh, God. You must be feeling better."

"Well, I'm not hallucinating anymore. I mean, seriously, what is the appeal with heavy drugs? I felt like I was losing my mind. And they make my face itch."