Chapter 13

Debbie practically pranced into the bedroom, all smiles and happiness. "Day two!" she said, hoping her joyful attitude would overshadow what had happened a few hours earlier.

Lou rolled onto her back and gave Debbie a sleepy smile. "Someone's happy to be working again."

"So happy." Debbie set a glass of orange juice on the bedside table. "You don't even know how bad it was out there in audition wasteland. I was this close to becoming an alcoholic."

Lou smiled at the obvious exaggeration. "Sitting in that hotel room in Hollywood, shooing away an annoying fly while you read the classifieds. Smoking your last cigarette and downing the last drop of vodka."

"Yes!" Debbie helped Lou sit up and tucked a pillow behind her. "And then I throw the empty bottle against the wall because I'm so goddamned at the end of my rope, and someone on the other side yells at me, telling me to shut the hell up."

"And by nightfall, you're hooking on Sunset Boulevard."

"Waiting for Richard Gere to collect me so I can glamorize hooking to a whole new generation of young girls. Wait, is it really called hooking?" Debbie asked, her finger tapping her lips.

"I'd go with Lady of the Evening-ing." Lou took a sip of the orange juice, and in a more serious tone she said, "Thank you, for taking care of me last night, and for staying with me."

Debbie waved a hand. "Babysitting your ass is my job, right?" She wasn't going to let herself blush, and if Lou thought she could bring up the cuddling thing, well, that wasn't going to happen. She pulled the covers back and put out her hand. "Now, let's get moving."

"No problem, snugglebug." Lou giggled and headed toward the bathroom.

***

John took a final look at the camera placement. "Okay, ladies, let's see how well you fight."

Lou found her mark on the elevator floor. "Oh, we're super good at that."

Debbie stood on her mark next to Lou, holding a large file box. "Bring it."

The assistant director ran through the protocol and John shouted "Action!"

As they exited the elevator, Jordan put her briefcase on top of the heavy file box Jane was carrying, weighing her down even more. "Pick up my dry cleaning tonight. I'll need my black suit for court tomorrow." They entered Jordan's office and Jane dropped the box on the floor.

"Why am I here, Jordan? All I do is schlep and drive and make coffee and get dirty looks from practically everyone in this office."

Jordan sat at her desk and thumbed through her pile of messages. "You amuse me."

"I amuse you?"

"Yes. I find your attitude... amusing."

Jane glared at Jordan. "So, I'm just here to humor you? You want to see how much grunt work you can make the Harvard grad do, is that it?" Jane leaned on Jordan's desk, getting in her face. "My mother cleaned toilets until the day she died. And I worked my ass off to make sure I didn't follow in her footsteps, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't want to carry your crap around and open your door and help you put on your damn granny panties! That's not me paying my dues, Ms. Ellis. That's being your damn slave, and I'm done. And, FYI, no one wears that type of underwear anymore!" Jane stomped out of Jordan's office.

"Jane!" Jane stopped and squeezed her eyes shut as she shook her head. She slowly turned around and was surprised to be face to face with Jordan. "The privilege of sitting next to me in a courtroom -and it is a privilege -is reserved for those who have something exceptional to contribute. No first-year gets that chance. Not ever. But I knew you were talented and I didn't want to wait. So, a broken arm created an opportunity for you. And as far as those dirty looks you're receiving goes -they're jealous, Jane. They all get it, so why don't you?"