Casting Debbie

By 1rxtter_

[AU] Coming out is easier when you've got someone by your side. At least that's how the hyper-private Lou Mi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 4

136 4 0
By 1rxtter_

Lou desperately wanted to back out of the deal. Truth be told, she figured Lin wouldn't be able to find someone with the right qualities. Known, but not famous. In need of the work, but not desperate for it. Unattached. Gay. Gorgeous. Why was Lin so damn good at his job? As if anything about this was his job.

Lou knew she needed someone who wouldn't worship the ground she walked on. Even other actors could sometimes act like rabid fans, and that would get old faster than Debbie's cynicism. What bothered her was the way this woman looked at her, with eyes that seared into her soul, reading every secret, every vulnerability she had. And then laughing at it. Mocking it with her eyes and that sly little grin. It was unnerving. It was also untrue. Eyes that seared? Lou realized she was being ridiculous.

On second thought, maybe a fan was exactly what Lou needed. Someone young in the business who would hang on her every word. Someone who would listen to her and follow instructions without hesitation because they came from the mouth of the very successful, very famous Lou Miller.

Debbie Ocean was the exact opposite of that. God. Had she and Lin made the wrong choice?

Lou stood there frozen, wondering how to end this deal here and now. She tracked Debbie as she sauntered over to the sliding glass door. A fan wouldn't saunter. She'd wait for further instruction, eyes wide like a hungry puppy dog.

Not Debbie. She opened the door and let the warm sun hit her face. "I can't wait to get out of that hotel I've been staying in," she said, leaning against the door frame.

Lou walked over and stood next to her, her arms protectively folded like they'd been most of the morning. "Don't you have friends here?"

"I do, but as you can see, I'm a total bitch right now and I didn't want to have to be the nice houseguest. You can't just take their bedroom, you have to play with their kids and eat dinner and smile. A hotel was easier."

"You need to heal," Lou said. Debbie looked at her with those big, brown eyes and Lou quickly looked away. Debbie Ocean was the one for the job, whether Lou liked it or not. Even though she rubbed Lou the wrong way, Debbie seemed honest and forthright, not to mention strong. Yes, Debbie had been through a lot this past year, but Lou could see her underlying strength. In fact, she found it more attractive than she would ever admit. Because that's not what this was, nor would it ever be. This was a business deal. Period.

Lou stepped outside. "Just relax for a while. Get your bearings, and in a few months, you can take on the world again."

Debbie kicked off her sandals. She dipped a toe in the pool and then turned back around. "Cards on the table?" Lou nodded. Debbie hesitated for a few seconds and then said, "I really need that."

Lou could tell that was a hard thing for Debbie to admit. She was trying to hide it well, but the pain of what she'd been through was evident. Taking Debbie by the elbow, she said, "Good. Come with me. I think you'll like your new digs." She led Debbie past the pool to a small guesthouse. "You'll have complete privacy out here, and everything is brand new. You'll be the first one to stay out here since it was renovated a while back."

Debbie walked in, her eyes wide with shock. "This is bigger than my apartment in New York. And a full kitchen too? Maybe I'll try to learn to cook sometime."

"Don't know how to cook, huh?"

Debbie laughed, "I'd burn your house down if I tried."

"That makes one of us. I'm an amazing cook." Lou stood back, feeling proud of the renovation. She'd worked closely with the designer to make the house, including the guesthouse, more her style: clean and modern. She'd purchased the house purely for its privacy and security, not because she loved it. But looking at it now, and seeing it through Debbie's eyes, she felt a sense of satisfaction that she'd made the right choice.

Debbie ran her fingers across the white marble countertops. "Do you have a workout room too?"

Lou pointed over her shoulder with her thumb. "Those hills behind us. That's where I ride my bike."

"I'm more of a treadmill girl. Too much traffic in New York."

"I'll ask Amita to get right on that." Lou pulled an index card out of her back pocket and looked at it, hesitating slightly. This was it. Once she handed this card to Debbie, it was pretty much a done deal. She looked Debbie in the eye and offered the card to her. "Here are the security codes for the doors and the gates. They're all different, so put them in your phone or something."

Debbie took the card. "Thank you for trusting me."

Lou shook her head. "I don't. I'm scared shitless that you'll turn on me, but we're in this now and I need you." Lou hoped Debbie could hear the sincerity in her voice and take her seriously. She hoped she'd understand just how serious this was and act accordingly. And she prayed for a good outcome.

***

"Are we good?" Lou asked.

Debbie still wasn't sure why Lou felt the need to follow through with this crazy plan, or even that it would achieve her goal. Hollywood was a very fickle town, after all. But that wasn't her concern. She took another quick glance around the guesthouse. "I need my career back, and if this is what it takes, I'm all in."

"Good!" Lou said, looking rather relieved. "On to business, then. I start shooting season six in two weeks, so we'll go out a few times before then for photo ops."

"How do you know the paparazzi will be there?"

"Lin will handle that part."

"So, you'll let me know what to wear for those photo ops?"

Lou looked Debbie up and down. "You'll go to my stylist this week and she'll set you up. We'll do some casual stuff and a little more formal as well. I'd like to take you to a friend's wedding this weekend, if you're up for it. Again, just as friends."

"Whatever you need," Debbie said with a smile.

Lou eyed her skeptically. "Why so nice all of a sudden? Surely you want to give me crap about dressing you."

Debbie grinned. "Lin said I can keep the clothes."

"Ah. I knew there had to be an ulterior motive." Lou tried not to smile back, but the effort proved impossible.

Debbie bit her lip. "And the Range Rover."

"Wow!" Lou chuckled. "Are there any other demands I should know about?"

"Don't expect anything of me in private."

The smile quickly left Lou's face, along with the positive energy they'd managed to have in the room for about five seconds. "Now who's being arrogant?"

"Whatever. Just...when I'm on set, so to speak, I'll shine for you. That's all I'm saying."

"And off camera, you'll be angry and bitter. Got it."

Debbie grabbed Lou's arm as she tried to leave. "Look, I just..."

"It doesn't matter," Lou said, shooting her a glare. "Do your thing when we're in public. That's all I ask."

"I will. I promise. And I'm sorry that I'm coming across like a complete bitch. This is just a crazy situation, you know?"

"I know," Lou replied, softening her tone. "Look, I'm sorry I told you we'd never fuck. I mean, we won't, of course. But I'm sorry I said it like that. It was rude."

"Don't worry," Debbie said, smiling. "It hurt more when I heard we wouldn't be canoodling in public."

Lou laughed. "God, you're something else." She pointed toward the door. "Should we go get your things?"

"I don't have much. Just the suitcase and carry-on I brought to the main house." She finished the sentence off with a stuffy British accent. Lou rewarded her with a smile she was trying very hard to suppress.

They walked side by side past the pool, Debbie with her hands tucked into her pockets. Lou just a few inches taller than Debbie. Lou could easily put her arm around her shoulders, and Debbie's arm could wrap around her waist. When the time came, that's the way they should walk for the cameras. Debbie grinned, thinking it might be rather fun to put on this little charade, blocking the scenes, right down to how they held hands. Maybe this actually could feel like real acting work.

"Is something funny?" Lou asked.

"No." Debbie picked up both bags. "I've got this. See you in the morning?"

"I stocked the fridge for you, but the coffeemaker in the main house is much better, so feel free to come in and use it."

"Well, I do love good coffee. And I've always wanted an excuse to say 'the main house,' so you're on."

Debbie took her luggage to the guesthouse, dropped it by the bed, and then went back to the door. She leaned against the doorframe, taking in the beauty of the backyard. It looked like a resort with the gorgeous pool and lounge chairs with thick white cushions she could sink into. And why waste a single second of my time here, she thought.

It took about thirty seconds for her to change into a bikini. She'd only brought the one-a simple, black style that was comfortable and fit well enough to do laps. And this pool was certainly long enough to do laps. She'd have to go shopping for a few more swimsuit options. Maybe something more colorful, more "California."

Debbie looked at herself in the mirror. She'd always had a nice body. Long legs, flat stomach, nice ass. Even with the pressures the soap world put on women to enhance their beauty, she'd managed to stay natural. She didn't need breast implants. Her tits were fine. Not too big, not too small. One of the producers had suggested she try to plump up her lips a little bit and she all but told him to fuck off.

No, Debbie Ocean would never succumb to the pressures of producers and directors, most of whom looked like they'd never seen a green smoothie or a vitamin, or even a salad in their lifetimes. Assholes.

Debbie walked outside and threw a towel on one of the lounge chairs. She stood at the edge of the pool, staring down into the calm water. "This could be the easiest job I've ever had," she said to herself, right before diving into the pool.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19K 706 21
({ book cover from pinterest - i do not claim it! }) This is an Oceans 8 fanfiction between y/n and Lou Miller. The other characters are apart of the...
5K 135 10
(Pairing is Lou X Ox. Complete.) Perfect..was the most important thing for a doll like HIM. He had the looks, the smarts, the admirers. It was the sa...
110K 2.2K 42
- fluffy/smutty with Sandra Bullock & Cate Blanchett & Rooney Mara and their characters - NONE OF THESE ARE MINE - ALL OF THE STORIES ARE FROM AO3...
3.2K 204 10
Special Agent Debbie Ocean isn't too happy when she finds out that a reckless, foulmouthed Australian cop named Lou Miller will be accompanying her i...