A Spark of Courage: Rise of t...

By MrsCyberpunk

Generation after generation, immortal guardians like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the tooth fairy prote... More

Prologue
The Brand New Guardians
Meeting the Guardians
Center Talks and Sleigh Rides
Attack on Tooth Palace
Operation: Collect the Teeth
Sweet Dreams No More
*Authors Note*
Welcome to the Warren
Our Greatest Fear
*Authors note*
It's Time to Believe
Final Battle
*Update*
Sparks of Courage

Every Story has a Beginning

219 7 1
By MrsCyberpunk

In Antarctica, Jack runs towards the edge of a cliff as he tries to throw the memory box off the cliff. He thought that if maybe he got rid of it, things would get better. He was about to throw the box, but he just couldn't do it. He looks at his memory box and begins to regret what he's done. Not only did he put his memories before anything else, but he let Pitch take Tsuki.

Jack: I'm so sorry, Tsuki... I should've listened to you. None of this would've happened.

???: I thought this might happen.

Knowing who it was, Jack became angry. The figure was revealed to be Pitch.

Pitch: They never really believed in you. I was just trying to show you that, but I understand.

This caused Jack to wheel around as he shot ice at Pitch. He blocks it with his black sand. Jack runs and jumps over Pitch.

Jack: You don't understand anything!

He shoots more ice at him, but Pitch blocks it again.

Pitch: No!? I don't know what it's like to be cast out?

He shoots black sand at Jack, but he avoids it. Jack leaps into the air and shoots ice at Pitch. Their powers collide, causing snow to fly all over the air. As it clears up, Jack looks around for Pitch.

Pitch: To not be believed in...

Jack aims his staff at Pitch. The anger bright as day in his eyes.

Pitch: To long for a family...

This caught Jack off-guard as he lowered his staff.

Pitch: All those years in the shadows, I thought, no one else knows what this feels like. But now I see I was wrong. We don't have to be alone, Jack. I believe in you. And I know children will too.

Jack: In me?

Pitch laughs.

Pitch: Yes! Look at what we can do!

Pitch gestures to the sculpture of ice and black sand. The aftermath of their fight.

Pitch: What goes better together than cold and dark? We can make them believe! We'll give them a world where everything, everything is--

Jack: Pitch Black?

Pitch: And Jack Frost, too. They'll believe in both of us.

Jack: No, they'll fear both of us. And that's not what I want. Now, for the last time, leave me alone!

Jack starts walking away.

Pitch: Very well. You want to be left alone? Done! But first...

A squeaking sound was heard, causing Jack to turn around and see Pitch, holding Baby Tooth in his hand. Not only that, he saw something, or, someone behind him, his eyes widening as he sees Tsuki, tied up with her wrist behind her back by chains made of black sand as her mouth was covered by muzzle made of said black sand to prevent her from talking. A large, chained collar was around her neck as the other end of the chain was held by Pitch. She was struggling to free herself.

Jack: Baby Tooth! Tsuki!

Jack runs forward to help them, but he stops as Pitch tightens his grip on Baby Tooth, causing her to squeak in pain as he yanks the chain in his hand forward, causing Tsuki to kneel over and grunt in pain through her muzzle. Jack points his staff at Pitch.

Pitch: The staff, Jack!

This caused Jack to grip his staff.

Pitch: You have a bad habit of interfering. Now hand it over, and I'll let them go.

This caused both Baby Tooth and Tsuki to desperately shake their heads at him as Tsuki tried to yell and scream, but it was all muffled by the muzzle. Jack kept his staff aimed at Pitch until he lowered it. Pitch slightly smirked as Baby Tooth shook her head. Tsuki tried to break free, but unfortunately, in her weakened state, she couldn't do anything. All her shouts and pleas fell on deaf ears. Jack gives his staff to Pitch, who takes it from him.

Jack: Alright, now let them go.

Pitch smirks

Pitch: No.

This caused Jack and Tsuki eyes to widen as Jack glared at him.

Pitch: You said you wanted to be alone. So be alone!

Baby Tooth, having enough of this, pecks his thumb with her beak, causing him to yell in pain. Before anything else could happen, Tsuki's eyes widen in horror when she sees Pitch throw her into a chasm.

Jack: No!

Both spirits looked at Pitch as he broke the staff, causing Jack to let out a strangled cry as he started to feel pain in his chest. But before he could do anything else, Pitch blasts him with black sand, causing Jack to hit the wall of the chasm before falling into the hole. Tsuki cries out Jack's name through her muzzle. Pitch laughs evilly as he drops the broken staff into the chasm. Tsuki felt the rage building up inside of her as she struggled to free herself of the black sand.

Pitch: It's no use, my dear. No matter how much you try, you can't free yourself.

Pitch stands in front of her as Tsuki growls through her muzzle.

Pitch: Oh? Did I hit a nerve, my dear? Seems I have if you're reacting that way. I know how scared you are.

Tsuki growled as she continued struggling.

Pitch: But you don't have to worry anymore, my dear. I can help. I can make it so that you can live in a world where you don't have to hold back. You can use your powers to their full potential. You can unleash that fire without the fear of hurting anyone ever again. I could set you free from the burdens you call friends.

Tsuki glared at Pitch. She knew he was trying to manipulate her. She won't listen to him. She turned away from him as she continued to struggle in her restraints.

Pitch: You can't keep resisting. I'll get through to you no matter what. If you help me, I'll make it that you'll never be scared of hurting anyone ever again. Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, that waste of space, Jack Frost, and especially that rabbit you seem so fond of.

At the mention of her best friend and the one she was in love with, Tsuki had enough. With all her strength, she stomped her foot on the ground, causing a crack to form. She lets out a yell of rage as she is engulfed in blueish purple flames. Pitch backed away from the flames as he let go of the chain in his hand. When the inferno died down, Tsuki was free. Her fur had become that deep black coat as the familiar blueish purple flames surrounded her eyes as they glowed a pire white, and her fur collar turned into a mane of flames. Her tail bursts into the familiar flames as it swayed back and forth.

Tsuki: *Enraged* SHUT! UP!

Unfortunately, Tsuki held her arm in pain. Pitch did a number on her earlier, so her strength hasn't fully recovered yet. Pitch stepped back as he witnessed Tsuki's rage state. He glanced to his left and saw the aftermath of her attack on his black sand. When the flames touched the sand, it melted it and turned into glass. It was grey with specks of blue and purple coloring. He picked up a shard of glass once it cooled off.

Pitch: Don't you see what we can create together? *Shows her the glass* Anger and fear work so well together. Think of what we else we could do!

Tsuki didn't answer as she let out a yell of anger. She reached behind her and grabbed her parasol and engulfing the tip in blueish purple flames. She charges at Pitch at full speed, with full intend on impaling the Boogeyman. However, to her surprise and shock, Pitch dodged her attack as she grabbed the handle of her parasol, catching Tsuki off-guard as her eyes widen.

Pitch: You really need to learn some new techniques.

In one swift motion, Pitch breaks the parasol in half, and splinters of wood fall to the frozen ground. Tsuki's eyes widen further at this. She couldn't believe it.

Tsuki: H-how-

Before she can say another word, Tsuki collapsed to the ground from exhaustion, returning to her normal form.

Pitch: *Chuckles* Looks like you used up all of your remaining strength when you broke free. What a shame.

Tsuki tried to stand up, but she was too weak as she collapsed back onto the ground, still gripping the half of the broken parasol. Pitch grabs her by the throat and lifts her up in the air.

Pitch: Unless you want to suffer the same fate as your pathetic friend, I suggest you cooperate with me, or else...

Tsuki: *Choking* N-never!

Pitch sighs.

Pitch: Well, at least I tried.

In one quick motion, Tsuki was sent flying by the black sand into a nearby mountain. Her head hits the ice hard. With that, Tsuki is knocked out. Pitch laughs evilly as he disappears, leaving the two spirits in a vulnerable state.

The harsh, cold wind of the Arctic managed to stir Tsuki awake. She was still in pain as she managed to get herself out of the crater she created. She manages to get on her knees as she breathes heavily, clutching her head as the throbbing pain hits her hard. It was then that all the memories of what happened flowed through her head. She shuts her eyes tightly as she begins to cry. The tears run down her orange red fur.

Tsuki: *Crying* Guys... I'm so sorry... if only I'd tried harder. None of this would've happened...

Still holding a now broken parasol in her paw, she lets out a yell of rage as she begins punching and slamming her fist on the ground. She threw her broken parasol into the crater. Tsuki put her paws on her face as the tears kept falling. The familiar flames of her rage state ignited around her eyes and tips of her ears. However, they were so tiny due to her depleted strength.

Tsuki: North... Tooth... Sandy.... Bunny... I'm so sorry, everyone... I can't even control my rage. How am I supposed to become a guardian when I can't even keep my cool!? How-

Tsuki was interrupted when she noticed something in the corner of her eye. She noticed that her parasol had fallen from the crater, but what really caught her attention was the fact that there was something inside the hollow opening of the handle. The flames extinguished as Tsuki manages to drag herself over to the parasol to inspect it. As she limped over, she reached where the broken handle was. Indeed, there was something inside.

Tsuki: *Confused* What the...?

As far as Tsuki knows, the day she found the parasol was just another thing to add to her list of mystery. She couldn't explain it, but she felt an odd connection to the paper umbrella, and she never got an answer to it ever since. Tsuki picked up the handle and tilted it the side.

Out came a folded piece of paper. It was yellow, probably from aging. Tsuki unfolded it, and what she saw surprised her. When unfolded, the paper revealed a drawing. The drawing was in a traditional Japanese style, and it was of a man in traditional robes, and next to the man... was a fox. A regular red fox that looked exactly like her. Tsuki was hit with a wave of sad nostalgia. Why was this drawing so familiar to her? Tsuki flipped the paper over and saw that there was writing on the back in Kanji. It read as follows.

'Just a single spark of courage is enough to ignite the fires of bravery in someone.'

'Fujiwara Hajime'.

It hit her like a brick.

JAPAN. ONE THOUSAND YEARS AGO...

In a large forest, the sounds of rustling bushes were heard as a small creature emerged from the leafy foliage. A small, female red fox with dull brown eyes emerges from the bushes, holding the dead carcass of a chicken in her mouth. She runs across the forest to get to her destination. She fought tooth and nail to get this food. She's been snacking on fruits for days now, and as an omnivore, she was desperate for a living animal.  She continued dashing through the woods when her ears perked up. She stops in her tracks and looks up as she hears two pairs of footsteps coming in her direction. The fox didn't waste another second as she took off running on all fours. The sound of shouting was heard as two farmers holding bows and arrows emerged from the woods.

Farmer One: Where did that thief go?

Farmer Two: They couldn't have gone far.

Farmer One: There!

The farmers approached a pair of muddy fox paw prints on the grass. Good. The fox forgot that she fell into a mud pit and got covered in the brown substance, unknowingly leaving behind a trail for the farmers to find.

Farmer Two: The paw prints are still fresh.

Farmer One: Then let's go.

Farmer Two: Wait, why bother? That chicken is probably dead by now. There's no point in chasing that fox.

Farmer One: It's not about the chicken! I worked very hard to prove to our father that I was responsible enough to run the farm. If he finds out I let a fox sneak in and take one of the chickens, he'll never trust me again! But the least I can do now is bring him the skinned fur of that pest!

With that, the farmer runs off into the woods, following the paw prints and leaving his companion behind. He ran through the woods, trying his best to find the fox who stole from him. He ran through woods, trying his best to find the fox who stole from him. He continued running until he reached a river stream. The paw prints ended just at the edge of the stream.

Farmer One: *Sighs in defeat* Great. Guess that's it.

He was about to turn around and walk back the direction he came from, until he heard something rustling in the bushes. He looked at the green foliage and saw that inside the leaves and branches was the fox, devouring bits and pieces of the chicken carcass.

Farmer One: There you are!

The fox stopped what she was doing and turned to look at the farmer. Her brown eyes narrowed in anger before she jumped and attacked him. The farmer recoiled in as he felt pain in his left arm. The fox was biting hard on his arm as he tried to get the animal off his arm. He had accidentally dropped his bow somewhere, so he couldn't use the arrows to fight back. Eventually. he manages to get some grip and elbow the fox in the muzzle. As a result, the fox let go, and she was sent flying into the river before being pulled away into the stream.

Sometime later...

A young man was walking by the river stream, carrying something wrapped in a large cloth on his back. He was about to enter the forest when he noticed something in the corner of his eye, something floating in the river. Getting a closer look, he saw a red fox struggling to swim as the stream carried her away. He immediately took action. The man dove into the lake and grabbed the fox's form.

Sometime later, eyes stired as the red fox woke up, her dull brown eyes looking around the area. She was somewhere in the woods with a campfire in the middle. She looked down and saw that her left front paw bandaged. When she looked forward, she saw the man sitting in front of her. She immediately became weary, bearing her canines as she tried to stand on all fours. Unfortunately, she was unable to since her paw was broken. The young man noticed that the fox was awake as he immediately took action.

Young Man: Hey! Hey! It's ok, I'm not going to hurt you, little one.

The fox continued to growl. She didn't trust the man, having had a lot of bad encounters with humans.

Young Man: Here.

He grabs a wooden bowl with water in it and slowly moves towards the fox and places down on the grass and pushes it towards her.

Young Man: You must be thirsty.

The fox was hesitant, but she couldn't deny that her mouth was dry, and she needed something to drink. She lowered her head and sniffed the water, making sure nothing was in it. Once she made sure it was safe, she began drinking it. Finally, the relief of water made her content.

Young Man: Your paw was injured. I think it would be best if I take care of you until you're all healed up. What do you say?

The fox looked up and met the man's gaze. She still wasn't convinced he was trustworthy. But considering her current state, she pretty much had no choice but to go along with it.

Young Man: I'll take that look in your eyes as a yes.

The young man stood up.

Hajime: My name is Fujiwara Hajime. And I think I should give you a name until you're all healed up.

The fox tilted her head.

Hajime: Well, I found you as the moon shined on your form. The Japanese word for the moon is Tsuki. How about... Tsuki?

The fox let out a yawn, not really caring.

Hajime: I'll take that as a yes.

Over the next few days, the fox, now known as Tsuki, got to know Hajime a little more. He made parasols for a living, selling them to make income. Most of his customers were husbands looking to find gifts to their wives. He was currently working on crafting one for his friends wife. The wife of a Samurai. At first, Tsuki was anticipating the day she was all healed up so she could leave and go back to her normal life. But after a little while, she started becoming attached to Hajime. She saw how much of a kind and compassionate man he was. Treating her well, unlike other humans she has had encounters with.

It wasn't long before Hajime took notice of how Tsuki would always become ticked off whenever someone would bother her or him. Like that one time when his friend, Keiji, the ones whose wife he was making the parasol for, had buged him about speeding up the process on the parasol, since his relationship with his wife was currently on edge. When Keiji got in Hajime's face, Tsuki got protective and nearly attacked him. Luckily, Hajime intervened and stopped the red fox from attacking Keiji. After that fiasco, Hajime went to talk to the red fox.

Hajime: Tsuki, I know it's in your nature to be wary of humans, but please try to control your temper.

Tsuki put her head down as she lays down on the wooden floor of his home.

Hajime: But I will say this, the fact you don't hesitate to step into action is admirable. You sure have some courage.

Tsuki wouldn't call it protecting him. She was just trying to make that man go away and let Hajime work. But she liked the sound of it. A month passes by, and Tsuki's paw is all healed up, meaning it was time for her to go. Tsuki and Hajime knew foxes weren't meant to be pets, but she had grown so attached to Hajime. She didn't want to leave him. It took a lot of effort for Hajime to get the fox to leave. Eventually, they both came to compromise. Tsuki would come and visit him once every three days. That way, things would be easy for both of them. During that time, Tsuki got to know his family better. He had an older sister, who had three kids. The kids would often come and stay with Hajime, meaning Tsuki got to meet and play with them. As a result, she grew to love them and became protective of them. One day, when the kids were over and playing with Tsuki, a rat had gotten into the house, scaring the kids. Tsuki, in protection mode, went and attacked the rodent. During that ordeal, she unintentionally scared the kids. Tsuki felt so guilty that she lost control of herself and that she scared them.

When the kids left, Tsuki had her head down, looking over the sunset as she sat near the sliding door entrance of Hajime's house. Hajime walked up to her as he sat down next to her small form.

Hajime: *Looks at the sunset* Beautiful, isn't it.

Tsuki just kept her head down, too ashamed to look him in the eye.

Hajime: Shouldn't you be going now? It is getting late.

The fox kept looking down.

Hajime: Tsuki, I know you didn't mean it. You shouldn't blame yourself, and I know my niece and nephews don't blame you either. In fact, they said they wanted to see you again.

Tsuki's ears bent down as she continued to keep her head down.

Hajime: If there's one thing that's admirable about you, it's definitely your courage. I mean, you don't take a second to jump into action and protect your loved ones.

Tsuki finally looked up and met her friend's gaze.

Hajime: You know, my father once told me that "Bravery is like fire. All you need is a spark of courage to get it going. However, if it's not maintained, it can grow too big that it can become dangerous. But as long as you learn to control it, you can use it to its full extent." And just like fire, it may seem dangerous, uncontrollable, and hurtful at first glance, but it can also be beautiful. It's warm, it's bright, it's colorful, it's a wonderful thing. That's the amazing thing about it. Believe it or not, but even something like fire can be used to create something beautiful. Like making glass. It's important to know this. Cause sometimes, just a single spark of courage is enough to ignite the fires of bravery in someone.

Hajime looked down at his fox companion. Tsuki contemplated his words as Hajime spoke again.

Hajime: Hey, promise me something. As long as you learn to control that fire, promise me you'll use it to protect the ones you care for. Cause sometimes, all you need is a spark.

Tsuki looked at him, and she smiled. Or something that resembled a smile.

Hajime: I almost forgot; I had my sister draw this.

Hajime took out a piece of paper from his robe and unfolded it, revealing a drawn picture of him and Tsuki.

Hajime: I'm really glad I met you, Tsuki.

Tsuki smiled wider, happy too that she met Hajime. It wasn't long before Tsuki took Hajime's advice at heart. The next day, Tsuki was going to give a gift to Hajime as a thank you for yesterday. She managed to pick a cherry blossom branch with a few flowers on it. It was already night by the time she arrived near his home. However, she stopped in her tracks when the smell of smoke invaded her nose. Her brown eyes widened in fear as the smoke came from the direction of Hajime's house. She immediately dropped the cherry blossom branch and ran towards the smoke. When she arrived, she was shocked to find Hajime's house up in flames. Her keen vision managed to catch a glimpse of two figures still inside the house. It was Hajime, and the other figure was revealed to be Keiji.

Hajime: Keiji, please! It's not what you think! There's nothing going on between me and Natsumi!

Off to the side was the parasol that he had finally finished for his friend's wife. It was dark blue with red spider lily designs. Unfortunately, Keiji didn't acknowledge it as his mind was lost to his rage.

Keiji: Liar! I saw you two last night at the Inn! When I asked her what she was doing, she didn't respond! That's just proof that you were sleeping with my wife!

Hajime: You got it all wrong! We didn't do anything! You have to believe me! She was upset because of the fight you two had! I was just giving her the money to stay there for the night!

Keiji: I'm not listening to you! Now I know why my marriage was failing! It was because she loved her side piece instead of her own husband!

Tsuki was watching from a distance. She was shaking in her paws. She didn't know what to do. She didn't have the courage to go into that inferno without the risk of being burned. Hajime was in danger. She didn't know what to do. She was scared. She was also scared that she could lose control and hurt someone. She felt useless. That is until the memory of last night appeared in her head.

"Just a single spark of courage is enough to ignite the fires of bravery in someone."

He was right. All she needed was a spark of courage to bring out the fires of bravery. Memories of the time she spent with Hajime filled her head. Hajime was her spark. And she was going to protect him with her life. She narrowed her eyes in determination as she stopped shaking. She ran at full speed towards the burning house, just as an enraged Keiji was about to attack Hajime. Tsuki jumped and tackled Keiji as she bit down on his arm. Keiji screamed in pain as he fell to the floor. The resulting tumble caused the parasol to fall off its display and onto the floor. That gave Hajime enough time to go back and find his niece and nephews as he grabbed the parasol. Tsuki continued biting down on Keiji's arm as the man tried to pull her off. Eventually, Keiji managed to get the red fox off him as he made a mad dash for the exit, disappearing into the smoke. Tsuki knew she had a reason to hate that guy. Hajime, along with his niece and nephews, all came out from one of the rooms as they ran out the exit, with Tsuki following behind. Unfortunately, Hajime's niece, Reiko, had tripped and fell on the floor, just as the others escaped the burning house. Hajime was about to go back to save her, but the boards above the sliding door collapsed, closing in the burning house.

Hajime: No!

Tsuki saw the terror in Hajime's face as he thought there was no hope to save Reiko. Tsuki saw something in the corner of her eye. There was a small opening in the wall, small enough for her to fit through. Without hesitation, she ran towards the opening and jumped back inside the burning house, ignoring the calls of Hajime. Once back inside, Tsuki looked and saw Reiko's foot stuck under a collapsed roof board, revealing the moon. Tsuki ran towards the scared girl as Reiko cried tears of fear.

Reiko: *Crying* I'm scared! I want my mommy! *Coughs*

Tsuki saw the fear in the girl's eye. She had to save her. She immediately went over to the fallen debree and used her mouth to free the poor girl. Once she was freed, Tsuki let Reiko ride her back as they made it back to the opening. Tsuki managed to launch the girl through the opening, getting her to safety. Just when Tsuki was about to escape as well, a piece of the roof fell on top of her, pinning her to the ground as she let out a pained noise. The smoke was invading her lungs as she coughed, her vision becoming blurry. She could feel her strength slipping as she faded in and out of consciousness. There was no way to escape. The fire began spreading onto her as she could no longer feel anything from her neck down. The smoke had fully invaded her lungs as her vision almost became black. Tsuki looked up to see the hole in the roof that the debree had fallen from, and she saw the moon. It was the last thing she saw before the world faded to black. Her entire form was engulfed in flames.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 39 10
astrea borealis. or y/n l/n. whatever her name is, she was out there, probably riding her dragon. she heightened imaginations in children. she would...
124K 3.4K 20
This takes place after Rise of the Guardians. You are reading in the perspective of Pitch Black's daughter. Instead of inheriting your father's power...
15.4K 220 26
THIS IS BASED OFF OF MY ONESHOTS I MADE WITHIN MY "CARTOONS X READER ONESHOTS" BOOK!!! I HOPE YOU LIKE IT! 💜 From the Man in the Moon, he grants bei...
124K 3.5K 61
The battlefield was never kind for you and your brother, and protecting The Lunanoff family was the only objective you had within yourself. You peris...