The Art of Courting

By flying-person

Chelsea O'Hara has always prided herself at being practical and confident. But when you have a dad that still... More

Copyright Statement
The Art of Courting- Prologue
The Art of Courting- Chapter One
The Art of Courting- Chapter Two
The Art of Courting- Chapter Three
The Art of Courting- Chapter Four
The Art of Courting- Chapter Five
The Art of Courting- Chapter Six
The Art of Courting- Chapter Seven
The Art of Courting- Chapter Eight
The Art of Courting- Chapter Nine
The Art of Courting- Chapter Ten
The Art of Courting- Chapter Eleven
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twelve
The Art of Courting- Chapter Thirteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Fourteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Fifteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Sixteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Seventeen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Eighteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Nineteen
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty One
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Three
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Four
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Five
The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Six
The End

The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Two

5.3K 193 22
By flying-person

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Don't want to close my eyes
I don't want to fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you babe
And I don't want to miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you babe
And I don't want to miss a thing
- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing, Aerosmith

IT HAD BEEN TWO MONTHS.

            Chelsea had finally gotten her life to the normalcy it was before she met Jay. She was topping her classes, her family was just as weird as they usually were and all of her friends were close. It was like she was on the top of the world.

            She hadn’t really kept her promise to Jay. Yes, there was no more hostility or awkwardness between them but they didn’t see each other much. He was always whisked away by Dani as soon as she caught them talking to each other. In fact, they’d probably only had three conversations in the weeks that had passed by.

            “Remember, seven o’clock sharp Cece!” Jordan called from across the parking lot. She raised her hand to show that she understood before walking over to Andy’s car. Since Will needed the kid’s car for work, he’d been taking them to and from school everyday. Chelsea had told him over and over that they were fine taking the bus, but he wasn’t having it.

            “What if you get assaulted by a hobo?” was his usual excuse. In the end she gave up her argument- especially since Sadie complained to her three nights straight about having to go on smelly public transport. Anyway, it wasn’t like Andy complained that taking them was a hassle. It was almost like he enjoyed doing it… even when Sadie was on her time of the month and ripping everyone’s head off. 

            “We still going to Jordie’s tonight?” he asked her as she got into the passenger seat.

            “Of course, she’s threatened to go all serial killer on us if we ditch.”

            Andy nodded his head. “That sounds like Miss Frost.”

            They dropped Sadie off at home and Chelsea ran inside to grab her overnight bag, telling her dad she was going in the process. It only took a few minutes to get Andy’s stuff because he lived near the Frosts.

When they arrived, they were greeted by all of their other friends. Willa had already changed into pink pyjamas littered with sharks on the front (a large contradiction) and was sitting in a pile of pillows on the floor. Ian was next to her, stuffing his face with Cheetos.

“Finally!” Jordan cried. “I thought you’d gotten lost!”

Chelsea laughed at her. “Yeah, even though I’ve been here hundreds of times.”

“You never know. You might have had temporary memory loss.” The small girl winked at her before leading them over to the pillow cocoon.

The whole games room had been transformed into a sleeping area. It was all for Jordan’s celebration of the fact she got into Harvard early, since her marks were fantastic. She decided to do a sleepover that went all the way through the weekend, starting on the Friday night. Chelsea knew it was going to be a blast.

Especially since Jay was meant to be staying the night at Dani’s house.

“First we’re going to pick out movies,” Jordan said once they were all settled. “Then we’re going to eat junk food until we die!”

“Is there a set bedtime?” Willa asked. “Cause I plan to be up until the wee hours of the morning!”

“I’ll be with you on that,” Ian agreed- which was surprising because they hardly ever agreed on anything.

“No,” she admitted while spreading out the candy. “I guess we’ll just wait until we pass out.”

Chelsea looked over at the other three and knew that they were all thinking the same thing.

            We’re not going to pass out until tomorrow night with this much sugar.

She was right.

            It was one o’clock in the morning and Willa was still going strong, jumping up and down as she put a new movie in the Blu-ray player. Chelsea herself yawned and leaned against Jordan, who was already asleep. Andy had passed out with his head on her lap.

            And Ian was on his fifth, and last, bag of Cheetos.

            “Let’s watch The Breakfast Club,” Willa sang before collapsing down onto the pillows. Her greyish green eyes were wide as she took in the screen.

            Chelsea held back a yawn as the opening credits finished. She decided to talk to the others before she fell asleep. 

            “You know,” she said before yawning again. “If you married my brother, Willa, you would have to name your child Willow. So then it would be William, Willa and Willow O’Hara.”

            “What if we have a boy?”

            “Willis. Willis William O’Hara.” She yawned again after this statement, while Willa and Ian burst into laughter.

            “Well,” Ian said between laughs, “if I ever have a child, I’ll name her Holly.”

            This caused Willa to stop her giggles. “Wow, that’s what I’d name my kid!”

            They are so perfect for each other! Chelsea couldn’t help but coo in her head. I can just imagine them getting married and having their own little daughter…

            “I can see you plotting in your head,” one of her new victims warned, suspicion coloring her tone.

            “Who? Me? Never!” She shook her head in innocent denial.

            “Uh huh.”

            They all turned back to the movie, but Willa was constantly shooting her suspicious looks. Ian was oblivious.

            By the time The Breakfast Club had finished, the two lovebirds had fallen asleep on each other. Their sugar highs obviously didn’t last as long as they wanted them to. Chelsea found herself to be the only one wide-awake in the middle of the night. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t fall into that oblivion. 

            When her phone ticked over to three o’clock, she sat up and decided to get a drink of water.

            Having been in the Frost mansion many times, Chelsea knew her way around in the dark. She opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, ripping open the cap and chugging half of it down.

            In her whole life, she’d never felt so unnecessarily thirsty.

            “Chelly?” a voice mumbled from behind her. She jumped and slammed her head on the fridge door.

            “Ow,” she groaned.

            “Shit, are you okay?” the familiar voice asked and helped her to the table. The light turned on.

            “Yeah, I’m fine. Just a bump.” Chelsea brought her head out of her hands to see Jay looking down on her with a concerned expression on his face. “Trust me.”

            He frowned slightly before he replied. “Why aren’t you asleep?”

            “I’m not tired,” she said before shrugging.

            “Hmm, maybe I can bore you to sleep!”

            Jay grinned at her cheekily before sitting down across from her on the island. She instantly leaned backwards, not trusting the look on his face.

            “And how exactly do you plan to do that?”

            “By asking you…” He paused to think for a second. “Why do elephants not like mice? Mice are small while they are big!”

            She sent him a look that clearly said ‘really?’

            “It’s been proven that they aren’t afraid of mice, or anything for that matter.”

            “But on Mythbusters-”

            Chelsea sent him a glare. “That’s a TV show, Jay. I’m talking scientific fact. All that episode showed was that elephants are intelligent enough to tell the difference between a mouse and a piece of shit.”

            “You’re so ladylike,” he snorted. “And, for your information, I still believe that they’re afraid of mice.”

            He jutted out his chin stubbornly like it would substantiate his point further.   

            It didn’t. It just made Chelsea want to laugh. “Okay, Jay. Whatever you say.”

            “Are your ready to go to bed now?” Her yawn answered his question, and he instantly jumped up. “Come on, before you fall asleep on the counter!”

            With his help, they both dragged their feet to the living room. Chelsea felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders when he lay down next to her and sent her that familiar smile. It was like nothing had changed.

            Jay’s warmth seeped into her as he almost pressed himself into her back, his hand resting comfortably on her hip. As his breathing evened out, she felt a small tear roll down her cheek.

            She knew that this was wrong- being so close to him- and it would hurt Dani to know what was still happening between her and her boyfriend.

            But God, she was sure that this was all hurting her more than anyone else. She was once convinced that she was completely over Jay. He was an insufferable dickhead… until he did something amazingly sweet that reminded her of her Jay. The only one she wanted to remember.  

            And it almost killed her because she knew that everything was going to go back to normal in the morning.

            She would be alone, again. 

****

Sorry it's short, it's only a filler <3

Amazing song >

Do you maybe love Jay a little more now? He's on the side! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 6.1K 35
"You're pregnant" were the words that changed Brooklyn's life. She was loud and crazy and loved by her peers. Has a twin sister who looks just like h...
3.1M 80.6K 44
Carter Miller is a 17 year old girl who started moving around with her mom when her dad died. They end up in her moms hometown for Carter to graduate...
771 67 38
Chelsea is a 23 year old young lady, who has been constantly body shamed, to the extent that she has almost loose her confidence and become depressed...
2.4M 95.5K 51
If there's one thing that's certain in Noah Quinn's life, it's that he absolutely hates Jace Jackson. Like, all consuming, burning, passionate hatred...