STAR WARS: Brotherhood

By Fionntan040607

STAR WARS : Brotherhood Raiden Skywalker separated from his brother from a young age. Reunited on Tatooine by... More

Child of Dathomir
Liberation of a slave
Life as a youngling
The Men for the Job
Peaceful trip to ilum
Training on Dathomir
Breaking free
Vengeance
Meeting the duke
Gifts
An impossible test

The Initiate Trial

104 6 0
By Fionntan040607

In the Jedi temple on coruscant a young boy traversed the large halls. Brown locks cascade down his shoulders and his piercing blue eyes betray a sharp intelligence far beyond his years. He wasn't a genius by any means. He wasn't making droids from scraps in the back room of a scrapyard but he had an inherent talent for almost anything he tried.

Whether it was learning about the Living Force from Master Qui-Gon, how to use the Force by Grandmaster Yoda, learning Lightsaber combat from Master Windu, politics and negotiation from Master Dooku or learning his many other subjects from his many other teachers it all came to him very easily. He excelled so much in fact that he would soon reach the rank of Jedi Padawan at only five years old, to be fair he was nearly six, as he was fond of reminding his friends every time they mentioned his age.

He made his way to the area were he would be tested to see if he was fit to become a Padawan and a Master can decide whether they wish to choose an Initiate to become their Padawan. Raiden Skywalker has already completed two of the three trials.

The first trial was about knowledge of the Force and he was tested by Qui-Gon Jinn and passed with fly my colours. The second trial was a test of his knowledge of the Jedi Orders History. This test was administered by Master Ki-Adi-Mundi and again Raiden successfully passed the test after answering questions on the Orders beginning, the Sith Wars and the Ruusan Reforms.

As he exited the elevator he was greeted with the sight of a small arena with many Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights present to witness Raidens third and final trial. The trial by combat. He saw Masters from the Jedi Council like Yoda, Windu, Shakk-Ti, Yaddle and Plo Koon. He also saw Masters that were familiar, whether that's as because they were his teachers such as Dooku and Qui-Gon or because he had seen them around the Jedi Temple like Kit Fisto.

In the centre of the small arena stood a woman. She had green skin and a black dress and two Lightsaber hilts clipped to her belt, one being longer than the other. She had diamond markings on her cheeks and a large black headdress covering her raven hair. Master Luminara.

"Come Initiate Skywalker, your third trail awaits." The newly promoted Jedi Master called out to her young Student.

"Gladly Master Unduli." Raiden responded while entering the arena

Raiden was different than other Younglings. He once asked Master Yoda why he wasn't in. Youngling group like others and he was told that because of his extremely high Midichlorian count he would be trained by several masters to ensure he reaches his full potential. Raiden asked Yoda what his Midichloriam count and he was told it was the highest the Jedi had ever recorded. But he want given a specific number, because every time it was read it would break the machine.

Because he wasn't in a Youngling group he didn't have a Master as ring as a group leader. But he did have a few friends in the Jedi Temple. But while most Younglings had a Master they could go to Raiden did not and so that position was given to Master Luminara. And so while not being Raidens teacher specifically they were extremely close and so she was chosen to conduct his third and final trial.

"This is a trial of combat, to test your ability to defend yourself with your Lightsaber and with the Force." Master Luminara said before taking a stance ready for combat, standing at an angle, presenting a smaller target for her opponent to his but she didn't ignite her Lightsabers yet.

"Are you ready Initiate Skywalker?" She called out to the young boy.

"I'm rea-" as he was responding Luminara used the force to send her Shoto Lightsaber towards the young boy who ignited his own white blade and blocked the green blade of his master causing it to fall at his side.

Now more aware he faced the older woman. He held his Lightsaber in the basic form I positioning with his feet shoulder width apart and the blade of his white Saber held up in front of him, pointed towards the roof at and angle. Luminara observed as he got into the rudimentary form one stance.

'He's following instinct and getting into the stance he's most familiar with without analysing which would be most effective in the situation.' Qui-Gon thought to himself as Luminara got into a form III Soresu, the defensive form.

Form III was the defensive form but the stance that Luminara took wouldn't indicate such. She held the Lightsaber at head height pointed towards her opponent with her empty hand also pointed towards her opponent. This form was a defensive form despite not covering any vital areas but must be used by experienced practitioners.

Luminara displayed how this stance could be used by Masters a second later by remaining stationary as Raiden approached with concise strides. Quickly he closed the distance and swung up with a simple slice.

Luminara used the Force with her empty hand that was outstretched in front of her which pushed Raidens blade of course. She then brought her own blade down in a counterattack that would have struck Raiden in the shoulder ending the duel before it started. Raiden knew this could pose the end of their fight because he wouldn't be able to bring his blade up in time to block and so made a calculated risk He dropped his Lightsaber.

Luminaras green blade inches closer to Raidens collarbone as his Lightsaber hilt tumbled from his grasp he brought both his hands up to meet the glowing green blade with the palms of his hands. Doing so he remembered the teachings of Master Yoda about a special talent it seemed that they shared. Tutaminus, or the ability to absorb and redirect energy.

This allowed Raiden to block the attack without taking any damage but it would last only for a moment and so he released the small amount of energy he was able to absorb and redirected it towards Luminaras Lightsaber. It did little only causing her to stumble slightly, but it was all Raiden needed.

Raiden called his Lightsaber hilt back to his hand as Luminara took the more conventional form III stance, with her elbows close to her body and her Lightsaber held at her side level with her lower abdomen. The green blade at an angle so it covered her chest, neck and shoulder.

She did this on an instant while Raidens Lightsaber returned to his hand in the reverse grip. While less effective the majority of the time Raiden hoped the unconventionality would give him an advantage and he needed any advantage he could get.

Again he swung upwards but in this new stance Luminara could block the attack without trouble. Raiden wanted to move quickly to avoid having to engage in a Saber lock with Luminara and so quickly swapped from reverse grip and grasped his hilt in to hands. This type of grip afforded more leverage and so Raiden used a downward strike which was blocked yet again.

Raiden spun his Lightsaber in a series of wide arcs which forced some distance between the two duellists. Raiden knew that his form I Shii-Cho wouldn't stand up against Luminaras defence and so he would need a new strategy but to execute it he would need space.

Luminara however didn't want to give Raiden the space he needed and instead using the Force recalled her Shoto Lightsaber back to her. The green blade ignited mid-air and nearly struck Raiden in his back but he used the Force to flip high above the Saber and creating the distance he needed.

The exchange lasted barely a minute yet Raiden was able to show so much to the audience of Masters who'd assembled to watch. He was able to show his versatility and ability to make creative solutions to difficult situations. But he also showed how he fell into the most basic form despite its flaws when against such a defensive stance as well as his tendency to take risks such as dropping his Lightsaber.

Back to the fight Luminara again took her initial form III stance with her Lightsaber held at head height and her Shoto Lightsaber held outstretched in a reverse grip. Raiden took a different stance however with his knees slightly bent and his Lightsaber held at chest height and pointed diagonally crossing his face. This was a stance Yoda was very familiar with. It sacrificed defence for mobility. It was the stance of form IV Ataru.

Aided with the force Raiden sprung forward towards his opponent, his young body soaring over Luminaras head and she was barely able to position her blade to block a flurry of strikes from Raidens white Saber. Raiden landed in a crouch and before he lost the element of surprise again launched himself into the air. However this time Luminara was prepared and blocked the first strike with her Lightsaber before slashing with her Shoto Lightsaber hoping to catch Raiden while he was in the air.

Raiden landed facing away from Luminara, something that a Jedi who isn't experienced with Ataru does a lot. While a common mistake it is a deadly one. Turning swiftly Raiden just deflected a Lightsaber strike before having to dodge another slash from Luminaras Shoto Lightsaber.

His dodge was hastily made and it caused his to stumble, his Lightsaber falling from his hand as he did so. Now without a weapon and on the ground Luminara prepared to finish the duel but Raiden wasn't done fighting. Using the Force on the hilt of Luminaras Shoto Lightsaber he tried to wrench it from her grasp, ultimately failing to do so but succeeding in making her stumble.

Mustering the last of his energy Raiden grabbed her arm, placed both feet on her stomach and pushed with the Force sending her soaring through the air and crashing to the ground. Both duellists sprung to their feet, summoning their Lightsabers to their hands as they prepared to engage again.

"Finished you are!" Grandmaster Yoda called out to both from the sidelines.

"Yes we have seen enough." Master Windu said agreeing with the elderly Jedi.

Raiden left with Luminara and was soon approached by Qui-Gon as they escorted the Jedi Youngling to the Medical Ward for a check up.

"Master Jinn, do you think I passed the trials." Raiden asked his teacher

"I'm sure of it Raiden, you've nothing to worry about." Qui-Gon responded softly to the young boy

"Will you be my Master?" He said to his other companion, the green skinned woman smiling at his question but there was sadness in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Raiden but I cannot I've promised to raise another Padawan, Barriss Offee. She's only young now but someday she'll be my Padawan as is tradition in the Jedi Order." Luminara said to the hopeful boy.

"Who will my Master be then?" Raiden asked

"Your are a very special boy Raiden and so it has been decided that you won't have only one Master." Qui-Gon responded

"What does that mean?" Raiden asked confused at the statement

"Don't worry about what it means Raiden, you'll be a Padawan soon and a Padawan has to have a Lightsaber of his own." That drove the worry from the boy as his head was filled with thoughts of Lightsabers.

—————————————————————————

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 197 18
Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars. But only characters and ideas I create Chancellor Palpitine has just revealed himself as the Sith Lord to Anakin...
20.5K 520 20
When Luke, Chewie, Rey, Finn, Poe, and newly turned Ben Solo are visited by the ghost of Anakin Skywalker and he tells them that they can prevent his...
5.4K 69 9
Nivix Palpatine has been apart of the Jedi Order for her entire life while her father has secretly taught her the ways of the dark side. When her fat...
125K 2.8K 48
You are a 21 year old girl, and a well-known and respected jedi among the republic. You loved your life, and the opportunity you had to help people a...