Mister Popular's Little Sister

By dancinginsunlight

After the divorce of her parents, Marley Parker stays in North Carolina while her brother and father move to... More

Mister Popular's Little Sister
one: forgotten
two: friends with the rival
three: who said anything about a soccer game?
five: like some disease
six: guilty
PLEASE READ
seven: unknown
eight: here goes nothing
nine: what are you doing here?
ten: a tuesday in may
eleven: he's here
twelve: silver letters
thirteen: juliannas
fourteen: scoops
fifteen: always
sixteen: duke nightrunner
seventeen: totally ruined
eighteen: you were right
nineteen: everything
twenty: something
twenty-one: there's no need for you to sit on me
twenty-two: there's nothing further we can do
twenty-three: where am I?
twenty-four: it's definitely not over
Epilogue
Q&A

four: my brother hates me

356K 11.2K 3.9K
By dancinginsunlight

four: my brother hates me

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jackson and I walk into Steak n' Shake laughing at a joke he had previously said. I would repeat it, but it was one of those 'you had to be there' moments. The waitress shoots us an annoyed look as we couldn't stop laughing.

"I'm so sorry, miss," Jackson apologizes trying not to laugh any more than he was. "We'd like a table for two, please." The annoyed waitress grabs two menus and motions for us to follow.

Well, isn't she just the sweetest pie in the bakery?

Jackson and I take a seat at a table in the back corner. The brunette lady who looks like she's in her upper twenties hands us two menus before speaking in a monotone manner. "My name is Rachel, and I will be serving you today," she shifts her weight onto her right leg while she pulls out one of those note pads. "What can I get you to drink?"

I glance at Jackson who is trying to hold back his laughter as well as I am. After we both place our drink order and she is out of earshot, we burst into another fit of laughter. I wipe the tears from my eyes as I try to calm my laughter.

"She certainly is happy to be here," I say after I finally calm down. Jackson nods in agreement before scanning the menu. I do the same, my eyes landing on the bacon cheeseburger.

When Rachel returns with our drinks, she stands at the end of our table impatiently waiting for us to tell her our orders. Jackson orders a double cheeseburger while I decide on the bacon cheeseburger. Yum.

"So, Marley," Jackson folds his hands in front of him. Are we in some kind of business meeting? Ha. "Tell me about yourself."

I pull my legs up in my seat to sit in a criss cross position. Positioning my elbows on the table, I fold my hands together giving Jackson my full attention.

"Well, what do you want to know about me?" I tilt my head slightly.

"Everything," he replies with a smile. A smile that one could die for.

I roll my eyes jokingly. "Be more specific," I laugh and he joins with me.

"Okay, tell me why I haven't heard of you before the other day. I mean, I have been rivals with your brother for years so," he pauses.

I take a deep breath in. "Well," I pause, "this is only my second week living in California so there's that." I shift in my seat before continuing. "When I was six, my parents divorced and my mom got custody of me while my dad got custody of Conner." Jackson's eyes show sympathy, but I don't need sympathy. "My dad and brother moved to California to further Conner's soccer career and my mom and I stayed in North Carolina." I shrug not knowing what else to say.

"I'm sorry," he smiles slightly.

"Don't be. It's not your fault," I smile back.

"So, how did you end up in California?" He folds his arms and leans back into his chair.

"By a plane," I jokingly reply earning a laugh from him.

"Ha. Ha." He rolls his eyes at me. Sitting up and mirroring my actions, his face turns all serious. "Why did you have to move to California?"

I pick at my fingers nervously. Should I tell him? I mean, it would be nice to have another friend, one I could trust, but this is only the second time I've met Jackson.

"Ask me another time," I pause, "I'm not ready to talk about it." I quickly wipe away the tears that are forming in my eyes.

Jackson grabs my hand sending me a comforting smile.

"Tell me about your family, soccer star," I smile at him changing the mood.

"Well, my dad owns his own advertising business," he shrugs slightly, "and my mom is a major writer for the fashion magazine, Cali Styles." Jackson pops his knuckles causing me to shiver at the sound. I can't say that I like the sound of popping noises. "Neither my mom nor my dad are ever around so it gets kind of lonely at my house. I mean, I have my twin siblings, Liam and Leah, the maid, the cooks," he pauses and looks down embarrassed. "You probably don't care about that."

"No, I do," I grab his hand like he did mine earlier which causes him to look up at me. "Your parents clearly make a lot of money by their jobs and it's nothing to be ashamed of," I pause deciding not to add: if they use their wealth in a good way.

"Thanks," he smiles slightly at me. "Well, I am practically raising my younger siblings. That's how often they aren't home."

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Don't be. It's not your fault," he replies. Don't those words sound familiar?

I look over at the kitchen and find that another waitress is grabbing our food about to bring it over to us. Before the waitress brings our burgers to us, Conner and a blonde walk into Steak n' Shake. Since my seat is facing the door I am the first to spot my brother. My hands instantly fly up to hide my face. Why, you ask? Because I am currently sitting across from his rival who just happened to have just beaten him in the soccer game that was nearly twenty minutes ago.

"What's wrong, Marley?" Jackson asks as I glance at my brother who is currently talking to the same waitress who seated us. But, of course, she is enthralled with him and treating him better than she did us.

Before I can even reply, Conner spots me. He then starts to make his way over to where Jackson and I are currently sitting. Fortunately, he hasn't spotted Jackson yet, but it isn't be long before he does.

"No, no, no, no," I whisper.

"What's," Jackson starts but is cut off by Conner.

"Hey, sis, I was looking for you after the game," his voice trails off when he realizes who I'm sitting with. His hands fist up and if looks could kill, Jackson would be dead.

"Parker," Jackson greets Conner with a smug look which doesn't help the fact that he is super angry.

"Richards," Conner replies through gritted teeth. "What are you doing eating with him?" Conner focusses his anger on me now.

"I was just-"

"Nevermind. I don't want to know," Conner grabs my arm pulling me out of my seat. "Come on, we're leaving."

"Conner," I try to stop him, but there's no use.

"Marley, don't even start." With that, Conner pulls me towards the exit.

Looking over my shoulder, I wave to Jackson and shoot him an apologetic smile. He simply waves back and mouths that he'll text me later. We exchanged numbers while he was driving us to Steak n' Shake, and, no, he didn't enter my number in while he was driving. We were at a red light.

It takes a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the bright sun once we are outside. Conner, with his hand still gripping my wrist, pulls me over to his car.

"Marley, do you know who that is?" He lets go of me before rubbing his face.

"That's Jackson," I point my thumb towards the restaurant, "and you pulled me away from the dinner I was about to eat. We were having a pleasant conversation before you interrupted." My hands fly to my hips and anger suddenly fills me. I mean, who is he to ruin my dinner with Jackson?!

"That," he points to the restaurant copying my previous move, "that," he struggles to find a name to call him. "That is someone you need to stay away from. Trust me, Marley. I have known him for years."

"Just because he is your rival does not mean that I can't be friends with him." Conner's face turns a bright red. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I knew he was his rival. I bite my lip nervously.

"Get in the car," he angrily replies before getting into the driver's seat. Slowly, I slide into the passenger's seat awaiting the anger of my brother, but to my surprise, he doesn't say a word to me the whole ride home.

It's official, my brother hates me.

author's note

Hey, there! I wrote another chapter. Woo. (: I hope you liked it.

And I know that the picture isn't an actual picture of a couple at Steak n' Shake, but close enough. I don't even know if they have steak n shakes in California, and if not, let's pretend there is.

Don't forget to let me know what you thought by voting and commenting.

Thanks. (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 1.7K 35
Maeve is the popular teenage girl with perfect grades, a ride-or-die friend group, piercing beautiful eyes, and a personality that makes everyone lik...
48 7 7
Cassie Milton is in 11th grade has gotten a scholarship for a weekly program at New York University to study literature and acting. She lives in LA a...
1.7M 35.6K 34
After a tragic accident that completely changes her life, Annie and her twin brother, Austin, are taken in by the Emersons, a family of seven (drop-d...
555K 19.3K 65
[+18]* NOW COMPLETE* Back Series Book 2 Dylan's been a good boy all his life but there's this insurgent flame that has been burning inside him and it...