Left Behind -Gally-

By xoscreamxo

The Glade had been the same for over two years. No changes had ever occurred. The box came once a month. Ther... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Epilogue
The End

Chapter 47

1.4K 59 12
By xoscreamxo

Emma's hand rested above her gun, which was holstered against her hip. Her heart felt as if it was racing in her chest. Any faster, and it would tear itself apart.

This was it. Months of planning and preparation led to this day. The day they rescued Minho, Aris, and Sonya. So much could go wrong. There were several moving parts in place that had to go perfectly. One mistake, and they failed. They could be killed or taken by WICKED to be used as blood bags.

The stakes were high, but it was worth it. They had to rescue Minho, no matter the risk.

Emma bowed her head, closing her eyes. Even though it was worth the risk, it was still terrifying. The last time she was in an unknown situation, she took a bullet to the abdomen. She nearly bled out.

It was hard to think about. Emma liked to pretend it never happened, but that was hard, considering there were physical scars to remind her. It reminded her of the pain she felt. Reminded her of losing Minho and Teresa betraying them.

Teresa.

It was hard to think about her once friend, even after months. The betrayal she felt still lingered.

Even with her eyes closed, she could feel Newt's eyes on her. "What?" She opened her eyes, turning toward the boy. He was, in fact, already looking at her. "What?"

"You look like Klunk."

Emma rolled her eyes. "You're a real sweet talker, Newt. A real Shucking charmer."

Newt snorted, shaking his head. "Relax. Take a deep breath."

"I am relaxed."

"Really? Because you look ready to shoot me, and I'd really hate that."

A smile pulled at the corner of her lip. "I wouldn't shoot you." She paused, "probably." Emma leaned against the rock they were hiding behind. Their part of the plan was to wait until Thomas and Vince stopped the train by the hidden markers. Emma doubted they would stop the train perfectly, but she had hope it wouldn't be too far of a jog. "This plan is going to work." It had to work. It couldn't be for nothing. Emma had lost too much. If they didn't rescue Minho today, they never would.

"I know," Newt's voice wavered. Emma realized he was also nervous but much better at hiding it. "Just don't get clumsy on us, and we'll be good."

That caused her to laugh. "I left that clumsy girl back in the Glade."

"I know," Newt squeezed her shoulder. "I just like to mess with you."

Distantly, she could hear the train as it approached. Newt heard it as well. "Here they come." Emma released a shaky breath, trying to calm down. She needed to think clearly and strategically. Minho depended on her.

"Ready?"

"Yeah," she said. "I'm ready."

The train came to a stop. Emma was certain of it. She could hear the brakes squealing as the weight of the train cars fought the brake system. The two of them were frozen in place. They couldn't stand up until Thomas signaled.

Twenty seconds later, Thomas whistled. "Newt! Emma!" Emma let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. Standing up, she noticed Thomas first. "Come on." He waved, standing in front of the back half of the train. The front of the train was still trying to stop.

It was a perfect stop. She was impressed.

"Let's go," Newt said. Emma nodded. Quickly, she ran toward the train, followed by two others that would help Newt weld and fend off the WICKED soldiers.

"Minho!" Thomas screamed their friend's name as he pounded on the metal.

"Minho," Emma joined him. "Minho!" People began screaming. It was hard to distinguish the voices. Minho was somewhere inside. Along with Aris and Sonya, but Emma couldn't tell the voices apart.

"Minho, can you hear me?" She couldn't hear him over the yelling inside. There were so many different voices blended together. "I hear him!" Thomas's voice was loud. Newt ran toward them. "He's in this one. He's in here."

Newt nodded, setting down the welding equipment. Emma followed Thomas to the front of the train, where Vince was already standing. "Shit, it's going to be close."

WICKED soldiers were coming, which wasn't a surprise. They knew that would happen. Emma was prepared for a fight, but it was clear they didn't have much time. It was also still unknown if the others had completed their part of the plan. It was crucial they succeeded. Without the Berg, there would be no rescue. 

"Emma," Vince said, bringing her back to reality. "Come on. Let's go." They were tasked with buying the others time to free the cart from its restraints. That would take time. They also needed to prepare the ropes for the Berg.

"Coming," she said. Emma climbed the ladder to help set up the ropes, which they would connect to the hovercraft once it arrived. Thomas was already up there.

The three worked hurriedly, wanting to be ready. There wasn't time to waste. They connected the ropes to each corner before attaching them in the center. Emma hoped they were strong enough.

"Newt," Thomas shouted once they finished. "How are you doing?"

"Don't rush me," was his response. Emma couldn't help but smile at his nonchalant answer.

Suddenly, without warning, bullets were fired at them. The WICKED soldiers were shooting at them.

But they were prepared for this. Emma kneeled on the roof and raised her gun—a pistol, which she found easiest to use. Taking a deep breath, she pulled the trigger.

It was easier now than it had been. When she first killed someone the night of the attack, it felt strange. Taking a life was no easy task, but it was easier knowing she was doing it because she had to. She wasn't looking for a fight, like WICKED. Emma was just defending herself and others.

"Newt, you need to get up here." Thomas was beside her. Gun raised as he helped fend off WICKED soldiers. Vince climbed down the ladder and was out of sight in seconds.

Emma glanced over her shoulder, searching for him. "Vince, what are you doing?" That wasn't part of the plan. He wasn't supposed to leave his post.

"Newt! Go," Vince instructed. He had gone down to cover Newt. That much was clear now.

Newt began climbing the ladder, keeping his head down as bullets soared past. Emma stood up, taking down another WICKED soldier before her gun emptied. "Shit." She had to reload.

"Emma," Thomas yelled. "Stay low!" Emma kneeled back down.

Newt crawled toward Thomas. "Where the hell are they?" The others should have been here by now. Without them, they were trapped.

"No idea."

Emma fired another shot but missed. She wasn't a perfect shot. There was still a lot for her to learn. "Vince, get-"

That was when the Berg could be heard as it approached. It was moments later that it came into view and stopped above them. There was a moment when Emma wasn't sure if the others had succeeded, but that doubt vanished as a hook dropped down. "Yes!" They had done it.

"Lower," Newt yelled. "Lower it!"

It was almost within reach. Thomas managed to jump and grab it. Emma helped Newt lift the ropes, hooking them together. Once it was connected, Thomas waved his hands. "Go, go, go!" Then Thomas froze. "Vince!"

Emma was suddenly reminded that the man wasn't with them. He was still on the ground, keeping cover as WICKED continued to shoot at them. The train car started to lift into the air. "Vince, hurry!"

"Now, Vince!" Vince ducked out of his hiding spot and jumped, grabbing the ladder mere inches before it was too high. Somehow, he was able to pull himself up. Emma sighed in relief as Vince pulled himself onto the roof.

He was safe. They were safe. Minho was-her breath caught in her throat at the realization. They had done it. They had rescued Minho. "We did it!" The group cheered at their victory.

Months of planning had paid off. "We did it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're in." Thomas shoved open the door the moment they finished welding. It felt like years since they landed and began welding the lock. Emma was practically vibrating with nervous energy. Quickly, she followed Newt and Harriet inside.

It was darker inside and much warmer. There were rows of kids, all chained by their hands to the ceiling. They were truly WICKED prisoners. "Aris," Thomas saw his first. The boy was sitting beside Sonya a few rows ahead. "Hey, are you guys okay?"

"Yeah." Aris had a black eye, busted lip, and cuts scattered across his face. "We're okay." Thomas ventured further into the compartment. Harriet stopped to embrace her two friends. Newt kept going, but Emma stayed by Harriet. The two had gotten close the last few months, and it was heartwarming to see Harriet embrace the friends she had missed so much.

"You guys are safe now. Everything's going to be okay."

"We need bolt cutters."

Thomas stopped in the back of the car, but Emma wasn't looking at him. She was still focused on Aris, Sonya, and Harriet. "Are you guys okay?" Frypan appeared behind her—concern written across his face.

"He isn't here." Emma froze at the words Thomas spoke. He isn't here. Minho wasn't here. She looked up, eyes frantically searching every face, but he was right. Thomas was right.

Minho wasn't here.

Six months of planning and preparation for Minho not to be there. This was their only chance. They wouldn't get another.

Minho wasn't here.

Emma brushed past Frypan, needing to get outside. The walls felt as if they were closing in on her. They didn't rescue Minho. WICKED still had him. They failed. "Emma," Harriet called as the girl vanished out the door. Emma didn't stop. She kept going.

Newt looked up at the sound of Harriet calling out. Emma was nowhere to be found. Looking back at Harriet, he found the girl already looking at him. She gestured toward the door, a clear indication of where Emma had gone.

Emma stumbled down a path toward the water, needing to see the vast, open sea. To not feel like the world was closing in on her.

They failed Minho. Emma didn't save him.

She needed to save him.

Zart. Alex. Dmitri. Alby. Chuck. Jack. Winston.

Gally.

Emma couldn't save any of them. She had lost them and so many others. Saving Minho was supposed to be different.

She couldn't save the others, but she could have saved him.

But they didn't save him. He wasn't there.

"Emma," a voice said. "Emma, hey." Newt placed a cautious hand on her shoulder. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Am I okay?" She turned toward him, tears filling her eyes. Her chest was moving rapidly. "No. No, I'm not okay. We just-Shuck." Emma bent over, placing her hands on her knees to steady herself. "We didn't save him."

Newt took a deep breath. "I know." Six months just for them to be wrong. For Minho not to be there. They were leaving in a few days. This had been their only chance. "I know."

"I can't." Emma stood back up quickly, nearly knocking her head into Newt's. "I can't. I can't-"

"Breathe. I need you to breathe." Newt placed his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to face him entirely. "What do you need?"

"I don't know," she whispered, unsure of what was happening. "I don't know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newt stayed by her side as they ventured back to the camp. They met up with Jorge and Brenda before finding the others.

Sonya and Aris had been through a lot. That much was evident now that they were out of the dark train car. They were skinnier and injured. Aris more so than Sonya.

Sonya was helping him clean his wounds. The plan to rescue Minho had failed, but they did rescue the other two. It was still a victory. "Here," Harriet handed them mugs of tea. "Drink this." It was full of different vitamins and supplements—things they hadn't had in a while.

"It took you guys long enough to rescue us," Aris muttered. Emma stared at him. She was glad that the rescue mission hadn't entirely failed.

"Yeah," Thomas said with a faint smile. "It's good to see you too, buddy." Emma sat beside Brenda, who moved over to give her friend more room. Emma was grateful and found herself leaning into the girl for support. "What happened to you?"

"I fought back," Aris explained with a shrug. "Well, tried to."

"You're lucky you found us at all," Sonya added. "They had us on the move often. It felt as if something big was happening." Emma leaned forward, resting her elbows on her thighs to better support herself. Brenda placed a hand on her back comfortingly.

"Any idea where you were going?"

The two glanced at each other. "All I know is that they kept talking about a city." None of them were expecting that.

Harriet leaned against the wall, body tense. "I didn't think there were any cities left." Neither did Emma.

"There aren't," Brenda confirmed. "Not still standing." All of the cities were full of Cranks. It wasn't safe.

"Okay, wait," Thomas waved a hand. "What about Minho?" That's what he cared about the most. "Why wasn't he on the train?"

Aris glanced at Sonya before speaking. "I'm sorry, Thomas," he said softly. "He was."

Minho was on the train.

Emma blinked a few times in a state of shock. Minho was there, but they didn't rescue him. They had been so close.

But not close enough. They left him behind.

They failed him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The moment Thomas found the map, he cleared the table and set it down. The sun had recently set, but Emma barely noticed. Time seemed to be standing still since it was revealed that the plan to rescue Minho had failed.

"There," Thomas pointed at a spot on the map. "Right here. It's a few hundred miles." A few hundred miles wasn't easy. "Based on the railways and everything Aris told us, this has to be where they're headed." The place WICKED was bringing all of the immunes they had left. "It has to be where they're taking Minho." Thomas looked up as he spoke. "We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads all the way there. We can do it within a week."

Emma glanced at Vince, preparing for his reaction. She knew he wouldn't agree. "A week? It took us six months to do this." He threw his arms out. "We have over a hundred kids here. We can't stay here after what we just pulled." The risk of getting caught was higher than ever before. "You want to wander off to some random point on the map? You have no idea what's there-"

"I do," Jorge cut in. "It's been a few years." He strolled toward the center of the room. All eyes were on him. "But I've been there. The Last City." Emma had never heard him mention it before. "That's what WICKED called it. It was their entire base of operations." They listened carefully. "If the city is still standing, that's the last place you want to go, Hermano. It's the lion's den."

Thomas didn't care. "It's nothing we haven't done before." They started fighting back in the Glade and hadn't stopped yet.

"Yeah," Vince said. "With months of planning, reliable information, the element of surprise, none of which we have now." WICKED would be ready this time.

Still, Minho was alive. They had to try.

"Vince, I thought this through-"

"Would you just hear me out?" Vince was becoming angry. "The last time we went off half-cocked, I lost everything!" Emma remembered that day. It was because of Teresa. She betrayed them. "Do you remember that?"

"Vince," Emma muttered but didn't say anything more. She had nearly died that day. She understood what he was feeling.

Vince sighed but nodded in her direction. "I know it's Minho." He understood. "But you can't expect me to risk everyone's lives for one person. I won't do it."

Suddenly, the radio sounded. It was scratchy, voices hard to distinguish. It took them all a moment to realize what that meant. "Searching the grid now." WICKED. "A is completed. Scanning B now."

"Shit! Get the lights!" Jorge ran to the panel, flipping the switch. Everything started going dark. Emma noticed Thomas and Vince run outside.

Without thinking, she trailed after them. Once outside, her feet sank into the sand, but she stopped quickly. Eyes finding the lights coming from two Bergs in the distance. They had never been this close before. It was a miracle they didn't see the lights in the compound before they were shut off. "Wow," Vince said. "They're getting close."

Emma glanced at the men who were standing ahead. Neither seemed to notice her. "You're right," Thomas declared. "We can't stay here."

Thomas seemed to be backing down, but Emma knew him better than that.

Vince patted his shoulder before turning to walk away. Emma stood in the doorway, but Vince was headed toward the boat. She felt someone behind her. Without looking, she knew it was Newt. "What are the chances he's letting this go?"

"I'd say zero percent." Newt also knew Thomas.

"And what are the chances he's going to try and do it alone?" Thomas always wanted to save everyone. He wanted to keep them safe as well. That meant he was reckless. That he wanted to do things on his own.

Newt sighed. "I'd say one hundred percent."

"Well." Emma turned to look at him, a sly smile on her face. "We're not going to let that happen." They wouldn't let Thomas go alone.

"No," Newt said factually. "No, we're not."

They were going to help Thomas save Minho, no matter the risk.

No matter the cost.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 93 16
Book 2:(Y/n) and Newt have survived the impossible Maze Trials, the group had been taken to a facility away from the hands off WCKD, however they're...
14.6K 260 40
(Y/n), the first girl in group A. She was also the first one in the Glade. Everything was normal and the same for 3 years till a boy named Thomas, a...
47.4K 1.5K 31
You know the story of the Maze Runner. Where you wake up in a box, with no memories, surrounded by fellow Gladers who have all been in the same predi...
1.2K 59 23
We didn't know that the sun was collapsing 'Til the seas rose and the buildings came crashing Everywhere, everything, I wanna love you 'Til we're foo...