The Underworld Crown (Series)

By ActuallyLaura

Getting into Hell? Easy. Getting out? Not so much. When seventeen-year-old Serena Jennings reluctantly succu... More

The Underworld Crown (Book 1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
The Underworld Trials (Book 2)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 4

23 5 0
By ActuallyLaura

"Just. One. More. Moment," Erica mumbled, holding a pin between her teeth as she stuck another through the bottom of my dress. Erica had insisted that I wear a baby blue gown for my first meeting with Hades. I didn't question her decision, but Erica said she'd chosen the colour because it was Hades' favourite colour on Persephone. Ignoring the incestuous undertone, Erica said it would be likely to make him more partial to me. I wasn't exactly filled with hope – it tasted a bit more like disgust.

"Do you know what Hades wants with me?" I asked, forcing myself to keep still so that Erica could finish her task.

She pulled the pin from her teeth and glanced up at me.

"I know as much as you do about Hades' intentions. But I wouldn't worry too much, Miss. Whatever the issue is, Hades will listen to Persephone's input. As long as you have Persephone on your side, I don't think Hades will do you any harm."

Fabulous.

Erica continued her work, utterly oblivious to the disaster I had now found myself in.

"And if I don't have Persephone on my side?" I questioned.

Erica stilled. "If that's the case...just make sure you bow when you enter the same hall as him and introduce yourself when spoken to. Always keep your body language open and face him directly. Listen to what he has to say without interrupting. And, lastly, do not ever speak back to him. Not unless you want to be fed to the hellhounds." Erica pulled the base of my dress down, gave herself a tiny nod of approval and stood up.

"There are hellhounds here?" I asked, my voice slightly higher pitched than normal.

"Hades often has some stationed along the perimeter of the castle when he has important meetings or gatherings." Erica frowned deeply. "I believe they're kept and fed further away, though."

"Wherever it is, it is not far enough," I muttered.

Erica looked inclined to agree.

Someone knocked on the door and Erica opened it to find a guard waiting.

"His Highness is ready to see Serena in the Throne Room," the guard announced, turning their gaze to look me up and down. "I presume you are ready?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded slowly. "I am."

And then I readied myself to find out what had made Hades so infamous.

*****

I had two guards ahead of me and two guards trailing behind me as they knocked on the door to the Throne Room. I found myself wringing my hands together as we waited, then tucked them behind me so that Hades wouldn't be able to witness my runaway nerves.

The massive double doors opened outwards, giving me my first glance at the deep red wallpaper detailed with gold, stretching up the high ceilings. Sparkling mahogany wood and lavish red rugs adorned the floor, looking as though they were brand new but could possibly have been centuries of years old. I gazed upwards, spying opulent chandeliers hung symmetrically throughout the room. The attached candles sent light bouncing from the chandeliers' dripping crystals, until they became too bright to look at.

And directly ahead of us, Hades and Persephone sat in towering throne chairs, seemingly unaware of the beautiful canopy which hung over them. Hades, positioned in the centre of the room with Persephone sitting on his right, leaned forward in keen interest. His eyes zeroed in on me and I stiffened, the memory of him emerging from his carriage flashing through my mind. Hades had appeared tired then, and it was clear that he wasn't experiencing that fatigue now. His slitted eyes were alert, watching me step forward with a frown etched behind his full beard. He had the sort of interest a predator would have in their prey mere moments before pouncing.

I forced my limbs to move as the guards gently pushed me towards the base of the dais and then fanned out to each side of the room. I wasn't entirely sure if I was breathing when I came to a stop a few metres away from the dais, unable to ignore Hades' power play of positioning Persephone behind him. Something as small as that told me enough that I needed to know about him; he was the only person in this room with any authority or control. And he wanted me to know it.

My eyes snagged on the black shadows around Hades, which slithered like snakes around his body and faded into oblivion. Their swirling depths sung and beckoned me closer, but I dug my heels into the ground and fisted my hands, forcing myself to stare into his eyes.

A small smirk lit Hades' face. Up this close, I could see the distinctive gleam of evil in his tar black irises. I fought the urge to run and stood taller, even letting my sweaty palms fall to my sides.

Persephone fidgeted in her seat, as if she had been about to stand up but restrained herself. I looked at her only long enough to see the regret glazed across her face.

A quiet filled the room. Someone cleared their throat. Realisation hit me, making my eyes widen, and I dropped into a bow, having almost forgotten Erica's first rule. I took a deep breath to gather myself before standing upright.

Introduce yourself when spoken to, Erica had warned. But that was difficult to do when no one was speaking. Natural instinct had words spilling to the edge of my tongue.

I held my breath, waiting for Hades to make the first move. He merely trailed his fingers along the side of the gilded wood of his throne, lined with red velvet, a bored expression on his face.

But then, his eyes flashed.

The air between us turned sharp and cold.

And the predator pounced.

The shadows around Hades flew forwards and encircled me. Instinctively, I went to step backwards and found myself stepping into the shadow. Death itself seemed to brush my legs, leaking any warmth from my body. Goosebumps formed. I slammed my eyes shut as they twisted their path upwards, wrapping around my arms and chest, then neck. This is just a test, I thought. My heart beat rapidly in my chest, and I focused on that feeling instead of the cold brushing a path across my body.

Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump.

One breath in. One breath out.

Thump thump.

The shadows slowed in their hunt. I opened my eyes to find them turning into a slightly less ominous caress and then slinking their way back to their owner.

Slow claps filled the room.

"Impressive, young one," Hades announced, finishing his applause. "I wasn't expecting you to have so much control over your fear."

He flashed an arrogant smile, and I narrowed my eyes at him. His façade was a stark difference from the vulnerability I'd seen in his expression when he'd seen Persephone upon his return. It was as if he wanted to punish me for witnessing him in a private moment.

"Although I shouldn't be too surprised," he drawled, "considering you've mastered your fear enough over the past couple of weeks to evade my capture."

A pointed accusation.

"You have caused a lot of disruption to my Court, Serena Jennings," he finished. "I plan on putting an end to that."

Despite the look in his eyes that made me want to scramble away, I raised my chin. "Good. Take me back to Earth, and I'll get out of your hair. You won't even have to think about me."

Hades' jaw tightened. "Unfortunately for both our sakes, that's not possible."

"He can't send you back to Earth, Serena," Persephone interrupted, her voice like a blade to my stomach. "We need you to stay here. With us."

I raised an eyebrow, finding it was easier to stare at Hades than into my own mother's eyes. "And why is that?"

Persephone and Hades shared a glance.

"The wind," Persephone whispered, leaning back into her throne. Fatigue lined her eyes. "You're right in saying there is no wind in the Underworld. If we continue as normal, this wind will only get worse. It will turn into rain, and then hail, then snow." She threw a concerned look towards Hades. "If we let the cycle continue, the wind will become strong enough to shred skin, the rain will poison, the hail will break bones, and the snow will be heavy enough to bury anyone who is unlucky enough to live through all of that."

I almost sputtered a laugh. "You want me to stay because of the weather?"

Persephone shook her head. "We want you," she hesitated, "–I want you to stay for other reasons, namely because you're my daughter. But we need you to stay because of what the wind means."

I glanced at Hades, surprised to find his expression somewhat concerned.

"The Underworld is not just a place," Hades explained. "It is a living, breathing entity. Just like any god, demigod or human, it has wants and needs. It is not something that could ever be contained. Not even by me." His eyes darkened. "I am fast approaching my third millennia as ruler of the Underworld. But according to the Underworld, it seems my time in the limelight is coming to an end. Just as the reign of those before me came to an end."

My eyebrows furrowed. "I thought you were the only ruler of Hell?"

Hades' eyes flashed, making me flinch.

"The Underworld," he corrected, "has had multiple rulers across time and space. Whatever your tragic human stories say about me are severely misguided."

"Think of the Underworld as a ship," Persephone cut in, her tone significantly softer. "It needs a captain to steer it through the ocean. Without a captain, it would be left to ruin. Right now, Hades is the captain. But a captain can only take charge for so long."

She glanced at Hades. The adoration and respect in her eyes made me want to throw up.

"So, what you're saying is...Hades is too old for the job?" I asked. Hades stiffened. "He's hit retirement age?"

"What I meant was that the Underworld believes someone else should set a new course for the ship," she replied all too quickly. Her gaze darted towards Hades. She was no doubt wondering if he would stand up and slaughter me.

"When I was declared the next ruler of the Underworld," Hades started, a growl threatening to rip from his throat, "the rain had become so poisonous that it could burn all the way through the top of your hand to the palm of your hand. We lost over two thousand lives because of the rain." He clenched his jaw and his eyes glazed over, as if he was haunted by this memory.

I had to look away from the pain so clearly etched on his face. I'd never imagined the ruler of Hell could experience so much emotion, until now.

"So, you need to elect a new ruler before the weather becomes torrential," I concluded, a pit in my stomach.

"A ruler is not merely elected. This isn't a democracy," Hades corrected. "It's a tournament."

"A..." I started, but my mind blanked. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Don't be a fool, girl," Hades growled, his hands tightening on his throne. "The Underworld doesn't let anyone pick its next ruler but itself. For this reason, the Crown must host a tournament for each of the Underworld's potential rulers. The tournament gives participants an opportunity to prove their worth, and demonstrate the type of leader they might be. When the Underworld has made its decision, only the three ancient sisters, called the Three Fates, can listen to the Underworld's desires and appoint the next ruler."

God, I was getting a headache. I rubbed my temples. "So let me get this straight – you are going to be hosting a tournament to determine who takes over your position as the ruler of Hell?"

"The Underworld," Hades growled. "But yes."

"Then what is my role in this?" I asked.

Hades once again fisted his hands. My questions and human-like ignorance were clearly taking a toll on him. He took a deep breath, as if what he was about to say pained him. "I was yet to mention that the participation pool for the tournament is comprised of demi-gods," Hades stated.

I flung my hands up into the air. "Then fabulous. I have no intention of ruling the Underworld. And now that you have my RSVP, I'll be waiting in my room until I can be returned home." I spun on my heels, something dark nibbling at my gut.

"Oh, did I forget to mention?" he drawled, making me pause. "Participation is mandatory."

My shoulders stiffened. The breath escaped my body. Slowly, I turned back to the throne.

"And if I refuse?" I asked weakly.

There wasn't an ounce of sympathy in his eyes as he leaned forwards in his seat, savouring the moment. "Then you will die."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.8K 1.7K 54
What if mythology isn't a myth? Callie Prescott has the rest of her life planned out: get into med school, become a heart surgeon, and heal the world...
1.8K 144 43
-A Hades Collection Novel- All it took was one look- a curse- and a God to capture the heart of Alessandra Rousse. A young Princess in a world that...
Hades By caitlin

Teen Fiction

3.9M 144K 32
Evie Autumn, like almost every other nineteen year old was just your average, unassuming, everyday girl. She attended university, she had that one qu...
17.2K 1K 55
The world as we know it is over. The governments are gone and the rest of humanity is living in fear of being next. After magic became exposed, along...