Amity and Enmity

By BlairDarnell

(Book Three of the Harm and Harmony Series) Status: Ongoing (updated every Monday) Though it has been several... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
FAQ

Chapter 55

162 17 2
By BlairDarnell

Roughly 300 Years Ago

To make it official that Calixte was to be Queen Violette's concubine, he required her husband's approval, King Osmond. Calixte almost wanted to back out of the entire thing, but he managed to fight through his fear, his mind focused on Violette. He just had to survive this, and then he would be able to be with Violette.

After making himself presentable, Calixte headed to the appointed meeting place in the castle. A servant allowed him entry into the northwest drawing room and inside awaited King Osmond, wearing his golden lion mask and the most extravagant hunting attire Calixte had ever seen. The garment seemed to be counter-initiative to hunting, so gaudy in its exuberance that any animal could see it coming. Or perhaps that was what King Osmond wanted, a challenge for him and his prey to know who killed them.

Hanging from the walls were the heads of a range of taxidermy animal heads and skulls from the local to the exotic, which the king had killed himself, the dates and locations marked on plaques.

Calixte swallowed, his hand subconsciously reaching for his own neck, imagining his own head hanging on the wall. Once he approached, he knelt down before the king, his head bowed. "Your Majesty," his voice squeaked despite his efforts to sound more confident.

There was a slight chuckle behind the king's golden lion mask. "Good," he said. "You should be scared. Just so you are aware, if you dare to defile or hurt My Queen..." King Osmond glanced behind him at the wall of mounted animal heads. "You will end up on there too."

"I swear, Your Majesty," said Calixte. "I will never do such a thing."

"You best not." The king gazed down at the kneeling Calixte before finally ordering him to rise.

Calixte obeyed.

"You're that fish pianist, aren't you?" asked King Osmond. "Barbel?"

"Yes, Your Majesty is correct," replied Calixte, too scared to correct him and wrapping his head around that the king did not know who he was beforehand or perhaps did not care.

"You have climbed the ladder quite far, haven't you? A son of a minor baron with no magic now with deep connections to the crown." King Osmond cocked his head to the side, his voice almost growling. "Do not get ahead of yourself, Barbel. You may be fucking the queen but do not think you hold any power because of it."

There was a moment of silence.

And then King Osmond started laughing after seeing Calixte's reaction.

"You haven't even done it yet, have you?" the king roared. "What kind of man are you! How did she even choose you to be a concubine if she doesn't know if you'll be any good?"

Calixte bowed his head, his lip quivering.

"And here I thought you two were fucking instead of having those piano lessons."

"Our relationship," Calixte hesitated. "Was a recent development."

"Then what have you done then since then if not fuck? What is the purpose of you being a concubine?"

"We... we go on walks in the countryside," replied Calixte. "And play the piano together, read poetry..." Calixte also wanted to say they hug and hold hands sometimes but felt too embarrassed.

"Really? That's all?" sneered King Osmond. "Oh, I see now. You're not her concubine; you're just a hired friend. Well, I guess I am no longer concerned about you impregnating her before she bears me any children, especially since you have no magic." He sighed. "Very well, you are approved, Barbel. Go be My Queen's companion and have your chaste romps through the countryside."

"Thank you, My King." Calixte bowed, then was dismissed out of the room.

*

Afterwards, Calixte returned to Violette to share the news that he had been officially approved to be her concubine, however, Calixte found it difficult to celebrate at the moment, his mind still focused on what King Osmond had said.

How could he not have realised that a concubine's main duty was to give sexual pleasure? It was like he had completely forgotten what the word even meant; all he cared about was to be by Violette's side.

Violette had not initiated or even mentioned sex in the month of their relationship or was she simply waiting until Calixte had been approved by the king?

They were in her bed chambers at the moment, sat on the sofa in front of the fireplace, which they had done many times before, yet it felt different now.

Calixte glanced back at the poster bed in the room, wondering if Violette was expecting it to happen tonight. That was the whole point of a concubine, was it not? Yet Calixte was still not mentally prepared and wished that he at least did some research into how the act was supposed to play out. What if he was no good? Would Violette leave him since he could not properly perform his concubine duties?

There is something wrong with me, Calixte thought. Even now he did not feel any temptation to kiss or sleep with Violette. Through stories, poems, and songs, he had heard that romantic love came paired with uncontrollable lust and desire, yet he felt nothing. Whilst he loved to kiss Violette's hand or cheek, to hold her in his arms, there was no yearning to go much further.

Was he wrong? Was this just friendship?

No, it couldn't be. He had felt friendship and this was not it, though it was built on the foundation of it. Calixte had never felt this way before and he had never been so certain of it before as he gazed back at Violette now, knowing that they could be together. However, in the back of his mind, he wondered if it would be enough for Violette.

"What's wrong, Calixte?" Violette asked, squeezing his hand. "What is on your mind?"

"What is..." Calixte hesitated, glancing behind at the bed. "What exactly do you want from me in this relationship? What exactly... are my duties?"

"Calixte," Violette sighed as she caressed his cheek with her ungloved hand. "First, you do not have any 'duties'. You are not a servant or some sort of sex object. I do not want you to feel that you are obligated to do anything, I want your companionship not your obedience. As I told you before, I want you to treat me like anyone else, not the queen."

Calixte nodded. "Okay." However his mind was still unsettled, the doubt lingering. "But do you..." he mumbled, glancing over at the bed. "But do you still want that from me?"

Violette paused for a moment, then replied, "it's alright, Calixte. I have figured it out for a while now, that is something you might not be entirely comfortable with."

"I just want you to know that it is not that I find the idea of lying with you repulsive or that you are not desirable."

"No, it's okay, Calixte. I understand."

"Nor do I entirely object to it, I-" Calixte sighed. "It is difficult to explain. I- I very much enjoy your company, and I know I want to be with you. I love to hold your hand, to kiss it, to hold you, but I..." His eyes once again wandered over to the bed. "I do not feel much lust like others seem to."

"And I am fine with that." Violette once again squeezed his hand.

"But do you want me to..." He hesitated. "Do you not want me to satisfy you, though? If you still want that, then I will do it, if it'll make you happy."

"I am already happy, Calixte, just to be with you."

Calixte glanced down at the floor. "You still want to be with me even now?"

"Of course, I do." Violette chuckled lightly. "How many more times do I need to keep telling you?"

"Every day would be lovely," Calixte chuckled. "Thank you, Violette, for being patient with me. One day, I want to be able to... satisfy you, but when I'm perhaps more prepared."

"Thank you, Calixte. I just don't want you to do anything that will make you uncomfortable."

Their fingers intertwined as they stared at the crackling fireplace in content silence.

"Do you," Violette began. "Do you still want to be with me even though you have never seen my face?"

Calixte smiled softly. "I do not need to see your face to know your mind."

Violette glanced down at the floor, and Calixte wondered if she was perhaps blushing under that mask. "You always seem to know the right thing to say," she said.

"Not always," said Calixte. "Sometimes you leave me quite tongue-tied."

Violette stood up from the sofa. "Whilst it is tradition to lay with the concubine on the first official night, I think I have a better way to celebrate." She offered Calixte her hand.

Calixte accepted the hand. "What did you have in mind?"

"I thought we might dance." Violette helped Calixte up to his feet.

"But we do not have any music," Calixte laughed.

"No, we have plenty of music."

Calixte frowned in confusion, glancing around for any instruments in the room.

"We have your entire life of music right here." Violette poked Calixte's forehead playfully.

Calixte was still confused.

"If you are comfortable with it, I can access your memory and have a song play in our minds."

"You can do that?"

Violette nodded. With Calixte's permission, she placed her bare hands on either side of his face, and he closed his eyes.

At first, Calixte felt a surge of energy, almost like a spark travelling through his body, and then something or rather someone, had slipped into his mind. Within a few seconds, Violette had located the memory of a specific song and used her magic to play it in both of their minds.

It was the song Calixte had sung at Violette's one-year anniversary party: 'One Day I Will Understand'.

It was just as if Calixte was playing it again back at the party. He could even hear the low rumble of chatterings from the other guests, but all he saw before him was Violette.

Not only could he hear the song play with such clarity, like he was reliving it, he could also replay a part of that memory after his performance.

"When you said that you wished to dance to my music with only one person that night and said it was impossible," Calixte began. "Was that me?"

"Really, Calixte? Did you only just work that out?"

"I am a bit slow and new to these things, I will admit."

"It's fine. I got what I wanted eventually." She pulled Calixte closer as they swayed. "I figured out a way for you to dance with me and simultaneously play the piano."

"It is a bit embarrassing to hear myself sing," Calixte smiled as the two of them began to dance, stepping back and forth, side to side, circling around each other. "I have never heard myself quite like this. It is strange."

"You have a beautiful voice, Calixte," said Violette. "You should not be embarrassed. But I could change it to a different song. How about Mister Fish The Flatulent Fish?"

Calixte laughed. "You are never going to let me forget that song, are you?"

"Nope." Violette paused. "Calixte... if you would like, I could make it so you will never forget anything."

"You mean I could have an enhanced memory like you?"

"Yes. I could cast the spell right now, and you won't forget a moment from now onwards. You will be able to remember new piano pieces so easily!"

"Thank you, but I do quite enjoy learning new pieces. But there is something I would not wish to forget," said Calixte. "I would not want to forget you, Violette."

Present Day

Day: 1251

"Here you need to read this one," said Cori as she shoved a book into Elis' arms.

"Was that an order?" laughed Elis.

"Yes it was." Cori continued to scan the numerous shelves of the royal library. "And this one too." She handed him another book, much thicker than the previous one, almost more of a doorstop than a novel. "Oh, cannot forget about this one either, or this one!"

"Are you trying to sway me with your library, Your Majesty?" teased Elis.

"Yes, is it working?" Cori gave him another book.

"I cannot lie and say that it isn't."

Soon Elis was carrying a stack of books that towered over him, he wobbled from side to side to keep them balanced and from falling off. "You sure this is enough?" He joked, poking his head around the stack.

"Enough for a week, yes," Cori looked at the bookshelves, considering to add another book to the stack.

"A week!"

"Oh, is that too much of a challenge for you?"

"No, its not even light reading," joked Elis, almost losing balance of the stack when Cori stablised it with her magic.

"How quickly can you read?" Elis asked as Cori used her magic to move the books to a nearby table.

"I read as fast as any avid reader," answered Cori, sitting down at the table and sorting the books out. "But I have a photographic memory so even with a glimpse of a page, I can recall all the words, everything. So, I can accuamtle all of the story inside of my mind with a flick of the page."

Elis shook his head laughing. "That's sound unbeliavlbe."

"Pick a book and I will prove it."

Elis paused, then opened up a book.

"Pick a page."

He flipped to a random page. "Okay, the eleventh line."

Cori started to recall the line word for word, continuing until Elis eventually told her to stop.

"You're reading my mind, aren't you?" he said, still not believing.

"I promised you that I would never read your mind without consent," said Cori firmly.

Elis pointed to another book, unclosed. "Page ninety-four, line three."

Again, Cori recalled word perfect, Elis opening it to check and amazed.

"Huh..." Elis stared at the page. "Photographic memory and mind manipulation... and yet you choose to use your gifts to read books faster."

"What else would I use it for?" Cori shrugged.

"World domination?"

"If I ruled the whole world, it would mean less time for reading." She picked up a nearby book and flipped through the pages. "Predicatble." She paused. "Would you want to read books faster, Elis? We can... I can cast a spell that would enhance your memory."

"To be like yours?"

"Not completely." Cori shook her head. "But you would also be able to learn new skills faster, remember and recall the past in minute detail... I can cast a spell to do that."

"That is tempting, thank you" said Elis, as he picked up a book after studying the ornate spine. "But I think reading is satisfying partly because of the patience, as is learning anything. Patience is its own reward."

"I see..." Cori mumbled. "I suppose I am not the best with patience..."

Elis stood up, holding one of the books, then motioned to the library door. "How about we read outside? It would be a waste with such warm weather. Also you have banned me from reading on the top of the bookshelves and the roof."

Cori frowned. "You're only going to bring one book?"

"Yes, and Your Majesty is only going to bring one book too." He tapped a book on the table. "One of my recommendations. Savour the experience, be patient, you do not want to rush life as you would a good book."

They both exited the library, Cori reluctant to only bring a singular book, and headed to a familiar spot, the cliff overlooking the lake to read together in the warm sun. 

Day: 1252

It had been over a week now since Princess Alfreda had let her three servants go. She did not regret the action, but remained unsatisfied. Perhaps it was because of the way she did it? Did she feel guilty about how harsh and blunt she was with Lili? Or because Calanthe and Oscar finally learned that they could have left the Eternal Abyss all the time? It wasn't like Alfreda tried to hide it from them... perhaps by omission. Lili could have told them too but the loyal bodyguard obviously thought it was not her place.

So...

So, yes, Alfreda did try to not let Calanthe and Oscar find out. She had already just lost Daina and Pearl, the two servants betraying her to side with her sister. Alfreda did not want to lose anyone else and she would have lost them straight away if they had found out another way.

To the princess' surprise, Calanthe, Oscar, and Lili were still in the Abyss, none of them yet to take the deal and leave this accusred place. Why? Why haven't they gone? Perhaps they were still loyal to her and-

No.

No, why would they be?

Oscar was likely staying because his octopus boyfriend was still an octopus and could not leave without him. But why were Calanthe and Lili still here? Were they staying for Oscar?

Alfreda was tempted to ask the three of them what their decision was. But why did she want so desperately to know if they would leave? She let them go and they were all free to choose what to do with their lives, even if that was to leave the Abyss... leave her down here...

Alfreda inhaled a quick and sharp breath.

Stop being so ridiculous.

Stop being so reliant on people.

You've been dependant on them since you got here- no... you've been dependant on people doing everything for you since you were born. It was time you learned how to do things yourself.

The three of them leaving would be good for everyone. They will be happy on the other side, safe and sound, and you will finally know how to be independant. To be alone...

Alfreda wasn't mentally ready yet to leave her house for the day, despite it being the afternoon, but her curiosity needed satiating and even just hearing and watching other people quenched her self-imposed isolation. She adjusted the curtain, enough for her to look out without being caught, and saw everyone else in the camp working hard in building the last of the houses and painting them, giving character and individuality. Her eyes picked out Calanthe, Oscar, and Lili from the crowd.

Calanthe was in her minotaur form, using her immense strength to haul heavy supplies with ease. Oscar was handing out water to all of the construction workers. And Lili seemed to be discussing building plans with Corinna as they drew sketches in the dirt and-

And was Lili smiling? She must have said something funny as Corinna silently giggled, nudging her playfully and then gave a peck on her cheek before Lili left to get supplies from Calanthe.

How long had that been going on for?

How much had Alfreda missed from being cooped up in her house?

How much did Calanthe, Oscar, and Lili miss out from working for her?

Alfreda was about to retreat from the window, her motivation to leave the house today dwindling when she heard a voice call for everyone's attention.

It was Betty, the prisoner who could turn into a black hole and had been appointed the village's doctor. Alfreda could not make out all of the words but it seemed that Betty was revving up to something as she then proudly motioned to the entrance of the medical hut as Calixte hobbled out, the amphibian relying on a walking stick as he ahd spent so long not on his webbed feet.

There were cheers of congratulations of Calixte finally being discharged and Corinna rushed to him for a hug, almost knocking him down, the seven imps joining and huddling around, jabbing their spears in the air in celebration. After Calixte was welcomed back by his friends, he was then profusely apologised to by the members of Annika's group, hoping that they would forgive them for being involved with Annika and what she did to him. Calixte was of course amiable and forgiving, not blaming any of them.

Whilst he was still being acquainted with the merged group members, Calanthe and Kai, in their strong monster forms, were pushing something large that was covered by a blanket. Drawing Calixte's attention, they then lifted the blanket and revealed a piano underneath.

Alfreda could not hear the amphibian's reaction as it was drowned out by more cheers and clapping as the crowd urged for Calixte to play a song.

Supported by Corinna, Calixte hobbled his way to the piano, caressing the keys with his webbed hands before sitting down. He played a singular note, then a few scales as he tested the instrument, letting a verbal gasp of disgust as he discovered that it was terribly out of tune, receiving a round of laughs. Calixte attempted to play, the sounds janky but everyone still applauded, the amphibian promising to hold a proper concert once he had fixed the piano.

Alfreda watched a moment longer before retreating to the darkness of her house, huddled on the bed. She reached out to the book that Calixte had been reading to her whilst they were trapped in the black hole, wondering if the silly fish-man would want to continue reading to her, or was he only doing it because there was nothing else to do in that cage? It was likely the latter. Alfreda would never find out the end of the story now.

Calixte was no longer trapped with her so there was no need for him to interact with her again. It was the same for Calanthe, Oscar, and Lili. They were no longer working for her so why would they remain by her side? Somewhere in Alfreda's mind, she had hoped that they would stay, not out of obligation or duty, but because they... they actually liked her company...

That day, Alfreda remained shut in her house. Perhaps she would go outside tomorrow? When it was dinner time, there was a knock on her door. Quickly, Alfreda grabbed her fire demon mask and transformed. Alfreda wondered if it was Calanthe, Oscar, or Lili, but then her heart sank as she saw it was Ivette.

"Your dinner, Your Royal Highness." Ivette bowed her head in mockery, offering a bowl of food.

The smell caused Alfreda's stomach to gurgle. "Don't want any."

"You have not had anything today." Ivette's eyes narrowed.

"We're in the Abyss, we can easily survive without food for a day-"

"We have plenty of food now. You do not need to ration, do not worry-"

"I am not worrying, I am simply not hungry!" Alfreda scoffed, then faltered as her stomach let out a low grumble.

Ivette smiled upon hearing it. "Don't be so stubborn now, my dear. I thought you fired all of your servants because you wanted to be independent-"

"Don't talk about things you don't know about it, listening to gossip." Alfreda looked away, arms folded but her eyes kept glancing at the bowl of food.

"Then why did you let them go?"

"That is none of your business, you nosy old woman-"

"And it is my business to ensure that everyone is well fed! And if you are not eating because you are tring to avoid Oscar-"

"I am not avoiding anyone! Why should I care about them? They don't care about me-"

"Oscar was the one who noticed you hadn't eaten!" snapped Ivette. "He didn't think you would open the door if it was him." She shoved the bowl into the fire demon's hands, not caring if any of it spilt. "You don't want the food, then you can go give it back to him and prove to me that you are not avoiding him!"

The fire demon growled, a hiss of steam billowing out of her nostrils, but she held onto the bowl of food.

"Wanting to be independent!" Ivette scoffed as she wheeled herself away. "You barely remember to eat!"

Alfreda resisted the urge to throw the food to the ground and slammed the door. She detransformed and shovelled in the steaming hot food, burning the top of her mouth and her tongue so she could no longer taste anything but the stinging pain. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

972K 54.5K 42
After being left on the doorsteps of an orphanage at age four, Thalia Davis spends most of her life there. The few foster homes she had, never lasted...
61.1K 1.7K 42
Elusia Vale is the most fabulous adventurer, swordswoman, thief, and lover to ever grace Ishara, and she is always the first to say so. Her life has...
364K 30.5K 128
#WrittenWithPride Offical Wattpad Reading List (Book One of the Harm and Harmony series) [completed/ editing] A human who wishes to survive in the da...
21.8K 1K 22
Book 1 of the Hers Trilogy When a witch and a demon fall in love, the forbidden bond sets in motion a series of events that will change all three rea...