Late Night P2 | Rough Draft |...

By Auburnwriter95

After dealing with new enemies and looking for intel in regards to bridgehead - the sully family discover Qua... More

Decisions
Growing Pains
Eywa and Reunions
Ikrans and Training
Ceremonies and Togetherness
Lost and Hopeless 1
Lost and Hopeless | 2
Hopeless | 3
Resolutions | 1
Resolutions | 2
False liberation
Search and Destroy
Returns
Y'kanama
Y'kanama 2
Safe and Sound 🔞
17
Dreams and Hopes
🔞
Healing
No winning
Happier Days | 1 🔞
Happier Days | 2
Happier Days | 3
Spellman | 1
Spellman | 2
Parenthood
'Self' and 'Death'
Stalling
Forgiveness
Forgiveness | 2 🔞
Risks
Newcomings
Garvin
Bickering
Parenting and Practice
Parenting and Practice | 2
Unexpected
Unexpected | 2
Persistent
Moment of weakness
M O W | 2
Painful regret
Unforgiving
Unforgiving | 2
• Set
• In
• Motion
• || Change

Long Hike

79 2 0
By Auburnwriter95

You have a hard time refraining from biting your lips as you watch.

Jake's on the other end of the fire pit — and although it isn't lit at the moment — it's still rather warm around here.

He's working on getting a few things attached to bobs harness before he gathers the children, his hands definitely working away at those knots and leather ties he secures.

"What's with that face?" He asks, and you almost jump at the sudden sounding of his voice.

You blink a few times before you look up at him, snapping back to reality from wherever your brain trapped you before.

"What face?" You answer innocently.

"You were staring me down awfully hard. Did I forget something again?"

"No, you didn't. - I was simply enjoying the view. You may continue."

Jake stares back in confusion, not quite getting it until he drops his hands in his lap and feels the rope in his fingers.
   "Seriously?" He deadpans.

"What? I know what I like."

He stands before stalking his way over to you, clenching a piece of rope in his palm as he does.
   "Fine." He seems to entertain the idea as he grabs your hands and loops it around, tying a knot around your wrists and securing your hands.
   "Is this what you wanted?"

"Mmm..." You look up at him, smiling. "- yes, but, maybe another time. How else am I going to help with packing?"

He slips a finger between the rope, and tugs upward as he brings your hands around the back of his neck.
    "All you have to do is sit and look pretty. We got most of everything last night. Kids are handling the rest."

"Look pretty?" You ask as he lifts you up around his waist, and presses you gently against a nearby boulder.
"Damn, failed step one."

You almost shiver at the sudden exhale he breathes against the side of your neck.
   "Don't even joke about that." He warns. "That's my wife you're insulting."

His lips press against yours, and damn is it suddenly hitting how hard it is to adjust with your hands tied like this.

Jake's already swaying his hips against you,  riding out the feeling of being pressed so close together. The cloths never leave much to the imagination in this.

"Hey so I wanted to know if—-"

Oh, god.
It's lo'ak's voice coming in from the distance, and you and Jake fail to part in time as you're struggling with the restraints.

"No, nope." Lo'ak quickly covers his girlfriends eyes as she stands beside him. "Nevermind. I wasn't here, we weren't here. — I'm going back home."

Before Jake can even say anything, he's already out and the kids have parted.

"Shit. I didn't hear him." You barely laugh out from embarrassment.

"I didn't either." Jake admits. "—I was listening to you."

"Great." You comment as Jake parts and helps you sit up. "—now he's traumatized."

"I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person in this family who isn't."

That's absolutely a joke taken too seriously to heart with how true it was.

The guilt of not being able to spare them was something you'd never escape.

"I promise I'll finish you later." Jake smirks as he lifts you up and starts to undo the knot. "Sorry it had to be cut short."

———————————-

The kids are all nervous, tired, and excited all in one. Packing what few things they want to take - sorting the rest - and finishing breakfast before it's time to go.

"Alright, everyone fall in." Jake orders — and it's the funniest thing when Aonung and Rotxo seem to line up with everyone else as well.

The kids look at them, and Lo'ak elbows Aonung as he laughs.
"Not you. You're not going with us."

"Force of habit." Rotxo grins while speaking for both of them — and they shrug innocently. It only takes a second for both to step out of line and rejoin Tsireya as they finish their meals.

"When we go — I need you all to stay behind me, follow my directions.
We will take a half way break so the ikrans can rest. We will be there before dinner, and Max is going to be waiting for us — as well as tracking my location.
   I need you to stay off the ikrans when we pull in closer, walk them with you. It's going to take some time but it's safer that route. We are to go directly to the campsite and none of you are to leave without my orders. If your Mom or Norm ask for something - let me know before you head off.
  Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir." They say in varying degrees of unison.

It makes you smile seeing the way they all lined up like that.
   Despite how serious Jake takes it, it's still humorous. Spider and Da'mik are on the end, with the rest going left to right with Kiri, Lia who's holding Tuk, and Lo'ak.

Spider would be riding with Kiri, Da'mik with Jake, and Lo'ak insisted he take Tuk with him. They've gotten closer lately, something you favored as you were worried the opposite would happen when Niikeym passed.

And hey, if you needed to shoot at anything... at least your hands would be free.

"Don't forget my words, kids.
We are to head straight for the base camp, hang out there as long as your mother needs, and then we head back here when this is all over."

"Read you loud and clear, father." Da'mik speaks up first.

"Can I get first dibs on smacking Lo'ak when he disobeys orders?" Kiri asks with a mischievous gleam in her eye.

Lo'ak shakes his head and rolls his eyes.

"Finish up your food." Jake seems to pass over the half witted comment Kiri gave. "- and then we'll head out."

You head out to the back area where the ikrans are — fixated on wanting to get Arohk's saddle on properly ahead of time so the rest is easier to follow up with.

"Hey." Jake appears not too long after, and his fingertips trail along your hips as he leans in to kiss your forehead.
  "Almost good to go? The kids are scarfing down their food, so Norm and I got their ikrans ready."

"Yup." You inhale deeply. "As ready as I'll ever be. I'm definitely nervous though."

"Don't worry." He says. "That's why I'm coming with you, you'll have me to watch your back."

"I could have just asked Neytiri to come along."

"Absolutely not." And he turns a bit. "-You're not doing this without me."

—————————

"It's only going to be a few days, Lo'ak." Tsireya reassures him as he leans in and holds her against his chest.

"I know." He slightly frowns. "—but we've never been apart this long before. And I hate leaving Payakan."

Ahhh.. young love.
So innocent.

"It will be alright, Lo'ak. I'll be here doing the same routine. I'll probably just hog my brother the entire time to make up for the loneliness. And we will watch over Payakan for you."

There he goes with that same half-lidded stare he inherited from Jake, looking down at Tsireya with a faint smile.

"My fathers leaving the radio behind so he and Tonowari can communicate if something happens, maybe I could sneak on there for a moment and talk to you."

"Lo'ak." She scoffs out with a warm smirk. "It's not going to be that long. Enjoy your time with your family. Do not waste your time getting into trouble, either."

"I won't cause trouble." He reaches out for her hands and holds them in his. All five of his fingers perfectly fitting around her four.
"—Like I said before — I'll bring you back a souvenir."

"Focus on bringing yourself back, first." She insists as her ears upturn. "That's what matters most."

He slowly leans in, with one hand moving to grasp at the nape of her neck while he closes the distance and presses his lips so gently to hers. As if he's asking for permission before they both take it a step further, with their bodies pressed harder together and his hands fisting in her hair with a longing need.   
    A goodbye he hates to give.

"Tonowari." Jake turns swiftly as he realizes who's come to join as everyone lines up with the ikrans — finishing up their last bit of checklists before they set off.

"Jake." He says in return, and they exchange their equivalent of a hand shake as Tonowari looks down on him with a sincere expression.
"I wanted to see you off."
He states, and it's little surprise when Ronal comes up behind him with their little one in her arms.
   "— We wish you the best in your travels. May the Great Mother watch over your family and keep you safe."

You walk over to join, and Ronal reaches out to press a hand gently on your shoulder.
   "Be careful." She softly says, the small showing of a worried frown across her face. They knew what was at risk, but that it was a needed one to take.

"We will." And you bring your hand over hers as you hold it softly. "-I promise."

—————————-

Everybody is here and lined up — except for Lo'ak who's savoring his last moments with Tsireya.

"She's not going anywhere." Damik reminds him. "She will be here when we get back, Lo'ak. Come on."

Kiri considers waking over and pulling him away, and it's his own sudden return that saves him from it.

One by one everyone piles on swiftly, and Jake spares you a small moment with a sincere nod before he takes off - leading the way for you, Norm, and the kids.

———————————————

It was a different feeling this time, especially for Lo'ak as he glides through the colder air and feels Tuk clinging to him as he snuggles against his cloak.

For so long, all he wanted was to go back home.

And now — it felt like a sense of betrayal, almost. This was only a visit, but it was still something Niikeym would never experience.

He almost felt sick to his stomach just realizing the thought of that.

"Lo'ak." Tuk barely calls out to him, a small whine in her voice as she does.

"What is it tuk-tuk?" He strokes the back of her head with his palm. "—You hungry?"

"Cold." She expresses, and further presses into him.

"I'm sorry, here—" and he turns to reach down into his bag, grabbing for an extra cloak  — niikeyms old one to be specific — and he lays it over her own cloak so she's got an extra layer of warmth. "—Better?"

She looks over the pattern, her thumbs feeling the edges of it as she realizes.
"Is it-"

"Yeah, it was his." He offers a small upturn on one side of his lips.

Her saddened expression almost kills him with how wide her eyes are before a tear forms.
"Oh, Tuk." He leans in and presses his chin to her head. "It's okay."

It wasn't hard to guess that she probably felt the same way.

At least things were a little better for the others.

"If you fall off — I'm not going to save you." Kiri remarks. "It'll be the consequences of your own actions."

"I'm not gonna fall!" Spider yells back against the wind. "I only wanted a better look at the sea life below. It's such clear water out here. I can see everything."

He's testing his luck with how far he leans over — and Norm is keeping a steady pace right beside as he watches him.
   Knowing it's too easy to lose balance if he somehow misplaced his grip on the ikran.

"Spider." Kiri calls out to him. "Sit up. Norms staring at us."

"Huh?" Spider says at first, not too interested in what she further had to say.
"Oh." And he readjusts as he wraps one arm around her.
  "I swear, Kiri. I'm fine. I don't need to be babied." And perhaps it's a bit too sharply said, as even Quaritch hadn't been this strict when he rode along.

You're a bit off to the left, with Norm on the right, and Jake leading ahead.

It's comforting to be up so high out here.

The air pressure is something you'd have to readjust to, but it's not a huge deal.

You've missed having the wind in your hair for this long, and the cold breeze down your back as you head on to Arohk and did tricks without a worry of him dropping you.

Which you'd love to do, if not for Jake being in his marine mode and Bob already tensing up every time he loses sight of Arohk.

"How's it going?" Norm asks, and it almost startles you with how suddenly he spoke.

"It's fine." You answer back, and glance over at him as Lia seems to be falling asleep on her fathers back. Just like when she was a babe still. Cute.

The kids all had an awful late night, and you don't exactly blame them for it.
Trying to soak up what they could before leaving the new home they'd just adjusted to.

"When we go for break, I'll be traveling with Max to bring my link over to our site. Shouldn't take more than half an hour."

"Understood." Jake's voice finally comes in.

He'd been quiet aside from a few things Da'mik had said to him, all before he passed out as well.

At least the others were awake, well - except for Tuk as you notice her snuggled up in lo'ak's chest.

Such a sweet thing to see.

You almost doze off once or twice, if it weren't for Arohk keeping tabs on you.

"Sorry, sorry." You quickly apologize for making him just as exhausted. "-We're almost there. You see that island? That's where we're going."

You sit up a bit more before pressing on the collar. "Jake. We good to land?"

"Yeah." He seems to check the area and swoop over it a time or two before he confirms. "—we're good. Everyone follow me."

It's just like last time, the ikrans all landing in a circle and the kids meeting in the middle.

Tuk rubs at her eyes, and before she can even whine out Norm picks her up as he just passed by — noticing how tired she seems.

You can't make out what he says to her, but she happily accepts curling into his chest and falling back asleep as he wraps her in a blanket.

Poor baby is so cold. Two cloaks, a blanket, and tucked under Norm's loose vest.

Everyone else takes to sitting down or stretching out — enjoying these few minutes of rest.

Norm comes up next to you, and slightly bounces Tuk in his arms.
"I'll go ahead and break the link here.
I'll sit the avatar up against my Ikran so she can continue sleeping, she didn't want to let go." He lowly laughs. "—It won't take me long."

"Alright, no worries. Hurry back."

Although he's nothing more but an empty shell in that moment, it's awful heart warming seeing how he's positioned with his legs crossed and hands linked together while he nuzzles against Tuk.

Jake throws his cloak off, and sets it down on a nearby log before coming over to you.
"Tuk doing okay?"

"Yeah, she was cold. She wanted Norm to hold her for a while, it seems."

He kisses just under your ear as he hugs you from behind.
"Remember back when she was only a month old? And she insisted on being passed around from everyone cause she couldn't decide which person to stick with?"

"Hot potato Tuktirey."
You reach up to grab at the side of his face. "At least by the time she was here, she had her pick of babysitters when we had to go hunting."

As time goes by — It seems everyone takes some time for a nap, leaving only you and Jake awake as you watch over them.

Damik is knocked out in your lap, and Lo'ak is leaning against Spider. Which may not work out the best considering their height difference, but it sure is a comical sight regardless.

You let your eyes close for a moment, which turns into twenty minutes as you're woken up suddenly by the sound of Jake calling for the children to rise with Norms return.

There's not much that happens from then, except a few check ins and location updates.

It just so happens that when you manage to land — the designated path brings you by a place you never thought you'd see again.

"Wow." Loak seems almost amazed by the sight of the broken down building, falling and crumbling with age.
"—-This is Grace's old school, isn't it?"

"Yes." You shortly answer. "— this is where she first gained a more sincere bond between the humans and the Navi."

You'd never taken them so far out this way before, so this is their first time getting to see it - despite all the vines and dust covering most of it. It's merely a small piece of what it used to be.

You let the kids walk in as they want to look over what remained. Norm even staying close behind as they file in like some sort of school field trip.

"Oh." Lo'ak voices as his fingers brush over the bullet holes. "Is this..."

Jake nods with a slight frown.
"Yes. That's where Sylwanin died."

"Can't believe anyone would do that to a child." Kiri voices with a saddened tone.

    "Unfortunately, it was too common of a thing back where your dad and I used to live. Human kids would have to wear bulletproof backpacks, and some classrooms had pull-out bulletproof spaces that locked and doubled as white boards.
       America claimed to be so many things that it just never was. It was; however, first to really fail and fall into this.. dreadful apocalyptic era."

Jake's breath understandably shakes as he exhales.
   "I do enjoy my guns, but I could never imagine what kind of mindset someone had to be in to use them on children. Sick as ever.
   Sometimes it was even kids using it on other kids."

And of course, your mind wanders back to Niikeym.
   Also gone way too soon from the same enemy, still just a child when it happened. Even if he had earned his adulthood within the omatikaya, he was still a child in your eyes. And now, he always would be.

It's probably best not to think that far right now, there's so many other things going on today.

"Let's continue out, kids." You suggest, eyeing around the room as you reach for Tuk's hand and bring her closer.
"We need to get to Max soon."

"We'll settle in for the night when we get there, and work on our plan in the morning." Norm walks past as he leads the way.

"Sounds good to me." Jake adds in. "-everyone fall in."

The walk isn't too terribly long the rest of the way, the kids each holding onto a rein from one of the ikrans as they walk behind.

It was too dangerous to take flight this far in the forest, not knowing just yet if or what was around or patrolling the skies. Too many dangers, and not enough time in the world to prepare for them all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 3K 56
"We are not from here. They do not want us here, they do not love you." "But, I love you. We can stay! Here... at home." Not much of a shock that the...
62.4K 1.6K 26
- Jake Sully X Reader (Avatar Fan-Fiction) - |Avatar Franchise| - Book 2 - Following the events of the first story, Jake and Y/n are married and mat...
557K 16.4K 12
Neteyam Sully x Reader Adopted daughter of Olo'eyktan Tonowari and his Tsahìk mate Ronal, you spend your days often in the waters of the Metkayina cl...
249K 7.1K 17
** 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒅** When Äeya was promised to Neteyam when they were born, she thought that their life together would be peaceful. Things were p...